My first attempted S-rank, any tips.

#1 Edited by NeoGecko (151 posts) -

I'm not usually the type to achievement hunt, but I really want to get all I can out of the game. Is there any veteren out there willing to drop a few hints? Some basic info: I have (almost) all the "green" achievements and some "blue", I'm playing on the PC, and I have yet to buy any DLC.

#2 Posted by Gladiator_Games (444 posts) -

Hm. Not so much as a hint, in fact, not a hint at all, but do people consider having to get multiplayer trophies part of S ranking?

#3 Posted by Baillie (4074 posts) -

@Gladiator_Games said:

Hm. Not so much as a hint, in fact, not a hint at all, but do people consider having to get multiplayer trophies part of S ranking?

Yes. Getting all the achievements is an S-Rank.

@NeoGecko: I haven't played Sleeping Dogs, but just do everything. I'm not sure what kind of hints you want me to say? Go to a website like x360a.org and find there guide there to help you.

#4 Posted by Kidavenger (3527 posts) -

Once I looked at the gold medal for gambling; you have to net 1,000,000 from gambling; I decided not to go for it, the mini-game is fine, but the max wager is 5,000; it's going to take a very very long time to get that one.

#5 Posted by djou (872 posts) -

I don't have an S-rank because I'm playing on PS3 but I got the platinum. It was really easy including the 1,000,000 from gambling.

The biggest pain in the ass for me was the Event Planner ach/trop. These are random events that occur at specific locations that are not indicated on the map. You basically have to go past them and an icon prompts you. Not a big deal since there are only ten and you can cover most of them throughout a playthrough. However, I didn't realize that a few of the events were triggered by the time of day. So if you're going for them in one swoop (which I did at the end of the main story) do it during the day.

I also had a bit of trouble getting to Triad level 10. A good tip would be to get the 15% bonus outfit asap and make sure you are maximizing your points in the main missions or it will lead to a lot of grinding to get to level 10 at the end of the game. I had to replay about a 1/3 of the story missions to get to level 10 and 30 gold medals.

For the 1,000,000 from gambling just wait until the end when you are flush with cash and bet 100,000 a turn on cockfighting, save before the bet and reload it you lose. The outcomes seem random (although many forums suggest otherwise). Feel free to PM with questions, I just did it last month so its still fresh in my memory.

#6 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

S-Ranking Sleeping Dogs is pretty easy, but there are a few achievements you have to grind for.

Here's a map with all of the world events marked on it. Remember that some events only show up at certain times of day so if one isn't triggering, come back in 12 ingame hours.

#7 Edited by mak_wikus (511 posts) -

If you don't have any DLC(I'm talking about the ones that give you extra XP) then you'll need to max out your triad score on (at least)75% of the missions. It's not that difficult really. Do it after you complete the story, so you'll have all combat moves unlocked and remember to wear a set of clothes that gives you +15% Traid XP. Mix up the combos. I went with leg break > arm break> Dim Mak> punch-punch-knee- heavy follow up > repeat. In any order. Just remember not to repeat one combo(leg break and then leg break again, for example).

During car chases trade paint for a bit before ramming enemies off the road and, while armed, shoot up the cars before hitting the tires. After the baddies filp over, keep shooting the chassis to make them explode. Extra points.

That's all I remeber right now in regards of scoring.

Max Police and Face levels are cake walks. You'll max these out while doing favors, races and cases.

Oh yeah, and also go to Statistics > Stats > Missions completed. If it says that there are 35 missions to do, then you're fucked. There are only 30 missions, but the dev screwed up the patch 1.7(came out with Nightmare in North Point DLC) and by accident they increased the mission count. That fucks up your completion stats(Story Progress and Completionist gold medal will stop at 85% and 96% respectively). Achievements Chief Inspector(100% the game - story, events, etc.) and Pure Gold(30 gold medals) are, well... unachievable. They said they're working on a fix(they may even add some missions), but nothing so far :(

EDIT: Oh, right. The Whatever's Handy achievement. I'm guessing you've already used kitchen knife, tire iron, cleaver, and machete, and whatever the enemies came at you with. There are also "bonus" weapons in the world of Sleepy Dawgz:

Fish - Aquarium in Bam Bam Club(the fish has its own achievement tied to it).

Wok(yup) - A cook opposite of the health regen stand near your boathouse in Aberdeen.

Briefcase - Dudes carry those in Central.

Umbrella - Look for them when it's raining.

Purses, grocery bags and shopping bags(each of those counts as a different weapon, so try to remember which ones you've already used) - anywhere, mostly in Night Market. These are one offs, so make sure to beat your target down to one bar first, then pick up the bag and finish him off.

It counts civilians for this achievement.

Later, I'll write which missions are the best for certain medals. No time now. Over and out.

#8 Posted by Flappy (2188 posts) -

While I haven't actually played this game, a general hint of sorts would be to never give up. As cheesy as that sounds, going for S Ranks can take quite a bit of time and if you're not careful, you might burn yourself out on the game. Pace yourself.

#9 Posted by mak_wikus (511 posts) -

@Flappy said:

While I haven't actually played this game, a general hint of sorts would be to never give up. As cheesy as that sounds, going for S Ranks can take quite a bit of time and if you're not careful, you might burn yourself out on the game. Pace yourself.

That's what I was afraid of, but this game is just too much fun!

#10 Posted by NeoGecko (151 posts) -

Thanks guys, there are all super helpful, I'm re-invigorated to go back and kick this game's ass.

#11 Edited by ajamafalous (11938 posts) -
@djou said:
The biggest pain in the ass for me was the Event Planner ach/trop. These are random events that occur at specific locations that are not indicated on the map. You basically have to go past them and an icon prompts you. Not a big deal since there are only ten and you can cover most of them throughout a playthrough. However, I didn't realize that a few of the events were triggered by the time of day. So if you're going for them in one swoop (which I did at the end of the main story) do it during the day.

I also had a bit of trouble getting to Triad level 10. A good tip would be to get the 15% bonus outfit asap and make sure you are maximizing your points in the main missions or it will lead to a lot of grinding to get to level 10 at the end of the game. I had to replay about a 1/3 of the story missions to get to level 10 and 30 gold medals.

For the 1,000,000 from gambling just wait until the end when you are flush with cash and bet 100,000 a turn on cockfighting, save before the bet and reload it you lose. The outcomes seem random (although many forums suggest otherwise). Feel free to PM with questions, I just did it last month so its still fresh in my memory.

These are the three places I got stuck, so pay special attention to these.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.