Potential for future Sleeping Dogs locations?

#1 Edited by j_boy (12 posts) -

Obviously one of the main things to enjoy about Sleeping Dogs is the Hong Kong setting. I really wish there was more variety in the locations chosen for these kind of sandbox video games, and I hope Sleeping Dogs continues not to choose safe, tired American city environments if the game gets a sequel. I did a video where I talk about this some:

What do you think would be a good environment for the next Sleeping Dogs game? I'm hoping they make atypical settings a thing to differentiate their games from other sandbox types. I can think of many cities I'd love to be given free reign in, but I'm wondering what other cities come to mind for other people.

#2 Posted by Animasta (14675 posts) -

well if they do china again, with Wei in particular, I think a Macau setting would be pretty cool.

#3 Edited by TruthTellah (8826 posts) -

If they want to get really brutal and even embrace some Muay Thai combat, they could go to Bangkok, Thailand.

http://www.jorgetutor.com/tailandia/bangkok/bangkok3/bangkok13.jpg

#4 Posted by Humanity (9062 posts) -

Since they have this asian niche carved out it would only make sense for them to go to Japan I think. Apart from Yakuza I can't think of any other game that takes place in modern Japan. I really wanted it to be Assassins Creed but apparently the people behind that game things that really lame, unlike you know, the revolutionary war era.

#5 Posted by TheHT (11155 posts) -
#6 Posted by ModernAlkemie (363 posts) -

The Moon.

But that's just because I'm still bummed out about Prey 2.

#7 Posted by j_boy (12 posts) -

Huh, Bangkok is a good one I hadn't considered. I know very little about that place, and I'd definitely be up for that.

#8 Posted by Dalai (7019 posts) -

If they're going to stay in China, Shanghai is the obvious choice. If they plan to expand outside of China, Seoul or Tokyo would be fine choices.

#9 Edited by Yummylee (21547 posts) -

I'm pretty open-minded for where they take the series next, so as long as, much like you yourself said, it isn't another generic US City. Given that it's still a GTA derivative, though, I'm certain they'll be keeping it outside of American soil. While it managed to nail a lot of its mechanics surprisingly well, it's the unique setting it takes place in that truly allows it to stand out.

#10 Posted by Levius (1113 posts) -

I think Macau is the obvious choice, its like a chinese Vegas in the mob days.

#11 Posted by JasonR86 (9659 posts) -

North Korea.

#12 Edited by themangalist (1731 posts) -

I just hope they stay with Hong Kong and work on actually making it more like my hometown.

#13 Posted by mrfluke (5131 posts) -

the cbsi office (preferably the giantbomb floor)

#14 Posted by Ramone (2962 posts) -

The UK, we need more games set in the UK.

#15 Edited by planetfunksquad (416 posts) -

@ramone: Yup. Even UK devs dont seem to be interested in setting a game here. Devon would make a fucking hilarious open world setting! ;)

#16 Posted by Humanity (9062 posts) -

@ramone: Yup. Even UK devs dont seem to be interested in setting a game here. Devon would make a fucking hilarious open world setting! ;)

There was that one GTA game set in London..

#17 Posted by planetfunksquad (416 posts) -
#18 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

The north pole.

#19 Posted by Yummylee (21547 posts) -

There were those Getaway games at least, though I'm to believe they're not very good. Plus there also ZombiU from last year of course and the first Resistance was set exclusively in England. There aren't a lot of games set in the UK, that's true enough, but there are plenty other such nations that are even rarer to find as video game settings.

#20 Posted by Humanity (9062 posts) -
#21 Posted by envane (1162 posts) -

cabramatta

#22 Edited by Barrock (3525 posts) -

A different city in China would be neat.

#23 Posted by Ramone (2962 posts) -

@humanity said:
@planetfunksquad said:

There was that one GTA game set in London..

Oh, you mean The Getaway?

Just kidding I know what you mean.

#24 Edited by Genkkaku (735 posts) -

@theht said:

@truthtellah said:

Bangkok, Thailand.

this.

Seconded! That could really be something special

@yummylee: I remember playing the first Getaway on release and remember liking it, aside from the fact that they never tell you about the healing system and we spent the entire game limping around, so it took forever to finish..

#25 Posted by moffattron9000 (352 posts) -

Based on the gangland costume pack that they released; Tokyo (Yakuza), Moscow (Russian Mafia), or Auckland, New Zealand (Mongrel Mob) seem like good candidates.

#26 Posted by Slag (4262 posts) -

Mexico City

#27 Posted by GorillaMoPena (2058 posts) -

Space.

#28 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7077 posts) -

The Moon.

But that's just because I'm still bummed out about Prey 2.

And it'll star cyborg Wei (Weiborg) and it'll be in a Chinese, domed city called Moon Kong.

#29 Posted by djou (874 posts) -

God, I hope they make another one of these. Bangkok would be amazing. The other suggestions in this thread are good also but my favorite part of this game was the hand-to-hand combat, you need to find a city associated with this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.