Screw you, Bobby! Sleeping Dogs tops UK charts, beats NSMB2

#1 Posted by Metal_Mills (3036 posts) -
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-08-20-sleeping-dogs-jumps-straight-to-uk-number-1 

And the 5th best opening week this year.

Open-world title beats New Super Mario Bros. 2 to top spot

Square-Enix's open world crime adventure, Sleeping Dogs, has jumped straight to the number one spot in the UK charts in its debut week, beating Nintendo's 3DS exclusive New Super Mario Bros. 2 to the top position.

Sleeping Dogs has reviewed well and comes during a period of few releases for the 360 and PS3, helping it to record the fifth best opening week for any game of 2012 so far.

The arrival of two newcomers at the top of the table has shifted last week's top four down by two slots each in a chart which is untroubled by any further new arrivals. Marketing pushes for Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier and Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7 see them both climb back up the charts.

I hope this means a sequel. I'm enjoying this more than I did GTA4.
#2 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

Awesome. Happy to see this title selling. It's a great game. The folks who made this should be very proud.

#3 Posted by Class_A_Ninja (55 posts) -

Apparently the UK constantly seeks validation with that whole driving on the wrong side of the road thing they are doing.

I was pumped with the original trailer. I did always wonder why Activision gave up on it.

#4 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Wait, how does this affect Bobby Kotick?

#5 Posted by SuperSambo (2881 posts) -

@zyn said:

Activision dropped it as they thought that it would not be competition (sales wise) for games such as GTA.

They were right, and I doubt Bobby (or other Activision execs) are losing any sleep.

#6 Posted by cutyoface (550 posts) -

@zyn: Because Sleeping Dogs used be True Crime: Hong Kong a Activision game.

#7 Posted by alternate (2719 posts) -

They dropped it specifically because they could not see annual or biennial sequals in it. they were right in that. Also - SE paid them to take the assets and finish them.

I am glad it came out though.

#8 Posted by Soap (3631 posts) -

@SuperSambo said:

@zyn said:

Activision dropped it as they thought that it would not be competition (sales wise) for games such as GTA.

They were right, and I doubt Bobby (or other Activision execs) are losing any sleep.

They weren't right. They were retarded. Of course it wasn't going to be competition for GTA, but that is why you launch it in august when fuck all else like that is out. It seems Activision can only think in terms of holiday releases.

#9 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

They dropped it because it didn't really fit into the Activision portfolio, but hey, they helped find another home for the game instead of trying to cause problems like they did with Brutal Legend, so I'd like to think that's an improvement.

#10 Edited by CaLe (4041 posts) -

I was so hyped for Darksiders 2 and this game just blind sided me. Totally stole the thunder from Darksiders and I enjoyed it 10 times more. I'm sad the story is over and I have little reason to explore that world any more. I hope they get a chance to make more.

It was Vinny's Quicklook that sold me on it. So glad it did.

#11 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

@SuperSambo said:

@zyn said:

@cutyoface: Ah yes, I forgot that Activison used to own the IP. And I, too, hope that there will be a sequel.

#12 Posted by mosespippy (4379 posts) -

Is beating NSMB2 really an accomplishment? The consoles have a larger instal base than the 3DS and NSMB2 came out later in the week.

#13 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

Is beating NSMB2 really an accomplishment? The consoles have a larger instal base than the 3DS and NSMB2 came out later in the week.

Yeah, NSMB2 is a single platform (no pun intended) game and sold more on an individual platform, Sleeping Dogs as a multiplatform-game sold more on the 360 and PS3 combined. And Mario games have extremely long legs, there's three mario games in that top 20. Anyway, I wouldn't mind NSMB2 doing a little poorly because it would send a clear message to Nintendo that they need to freshen up the franchise, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

#14 Posted by JoeyRavn (5007 posts) -

Sleeping Dogs is OK, too bad it's plagued by a myriad of bugs that make it nearly unplayable on PC. New Super Mario Bros. 2 will eventually outsell it by a couple million units, though.

#15 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (740 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

Sleeping Dogs is OK, too bad it's plagued by a myriad of bugs that make it nearly unplayable on PC. New Super Mario Bros. 2 will eventually outsell it by a couple million units, though.

Really? I've only had one minor physics freakout, but other than that it's flawless on my PC.

#16 Posted by Metal_Mills (3036 posts) -
@SuperSambo said:

@zyn said:

And that's why Activision is a terrible company. Yes, they have Blizzard and CoD but everything outside that is so badly managed. Expecting a game like this to sell 20 million copies is just absurd. This is rebranded to be a new IP and already is on the top of the charts and has very positive reviews. That's excellent for a launch.
#17 Posted by JeanLuc (3605 posts) -

I find this pretty surprising. Not to say it doesn't deserve it. Everyone I know seems to really enjoy it.

#18 Posted by Kidavenger (3610 posts) -

How is it that Darksiders 2 isn't even on that chart?

#19 Posted by Sackmanjones (4785 posts) -

Awesome. It's a fantastic game and deserves to sell well. Would love to see a sequel

#20 Posted by aurahack (2286 posts) -

@JoeyRavn: I've yet to hear of any problems from friends playing on PC and I've had a flawless experience on 360 so far. :S Unlucky, maybe?

#21 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

I should probably buy it shouldn't I?

#22 Posted by CaLe (4041 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

I finished it on PC without a single issue at all. One of the best PC ports I've played in years.

#23 Posted by RazielCuts (2984 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

How is it that Darksiders 2 isn't even on that chart?

Darksiders 2 isn't out till 21st in the EU, probably show up next week.

#24 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

@Metal_Mills said:

While I respect your taste/preference, you can't deny that Sleeping Dogs is basically a more refined version of IV, set in Hong Kong.

So in other words, if IV didn't exist, Sleeping Dogs wouldn't be even remotely similar to what it is. The phone, the crib, the camera, the story/mission of working for various gangs to move up in the crime world, etc...

I think it's the most IV-inspired game to date.

#25 Edited by larryrules138 (142 posts) -

Sleeping Dogs 2 here we come! Maybe we'll go stateside, or perhaps Tokyo. SO PSYCHED!

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Metal_Mills said:

While I respect your taste/preference, you can't deny that Sleeping Dogs is basically a more refined version of IV, set in Hong Kong.

So in other words, if IV didn't exist, Sleeping Dogs wouldn't be even remotely similar to what it is. The phone, the crib, the camera, the story/mission of working for various gangs to move up in the crime world, etc...

For sure. Ever since GTAIV there's been a rash of in-game cellphone usage. I can't say I hate it as it more closely mirrors real life, but it's seriously everywhere now. I kinda feel like Sleeping Dogs has some subtle social criticism built in as when you walk the crowded back alleys of some parts of Hong Kong, nearly all the pedestrians will be staring at their phones. Definitely accurate.

#26 Posted by BaconGames (3545 posts) -

There's no guarantee the game would have turned out the same if there was even a slight shift in the circumstances. Saying anything to that end and being certain is pointless. Good on Sleeping Dogs for not sucking and keeping the lights on but like others have said, I highly doubt Bobby gives a shit. If anything I bet he honestly wishes them good will. Publishers don't lament when other games do well, just when theirs do poorly.

#27 Posted by Dixavd (1367 posts) -

This isn't really an accomplishment at all. A multi-platform action title aimed at the biggest demographic in gaming outsold a handheld-only non-revolutionary Mario title (in Nintendo's worst region to sell games in - seriously, Nintendo have said numerous times that they find it especially difficult to sell Mario titles in the UK compared with the rest or Europe and other regions)? You don't say...

#28 Posted by JoeyRavn (5007 posts) -

@dekkadekkadekka said:

Really? I've only had one minor physics freakout, but other than that it's flawless on my PC.

@CaLe said:

I finished it on PC without a single issue at all. One of the best PC ports I've played in years.

You don't have to take my word for it, but, yeah, kinda a lot of people are having issues with this game. Myself included. Constant crashes to desktop, stuttering, poor performance on high-end hardware, visual options not working... When the game runs well, it runs flawlessly. But when it doesn't, it's a pain in the ass to make it work.

#29 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I surprised it's doing so well. I never would have heard of it if it hadn't have been for the Quick Look. Does the game have a lot of ads on TV?

#30 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

This game sold some copies, TAKE THAT ACTIVISION!!!!

Meanwhile at Activision.....

-_-

#31 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2502 posts) -

Sleeping Dogs is awesome, it SHOULD compete with GTA, because mechanically it brings some things to the table that GTA4 didn't have. Plus, the setting is different and unique enough to make it stand apart from Rockstar's series.

#32 Edited by larryrules138 (142 posts) -

@NMC2008 said:

-_-

Activision sold the rights to the game to Square-Enix I believe so they're probably doing just fine. They didn't make nothing on the deal at least.

#33 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@Metal_Mills:

#34 Posted by DystopiaX (5352 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Metal_Mills said:

Kinda makes me wonder what R* are doing with V to make it better, what with all these really good "clones" coming out. Hopefully they ARE doing something and not relying on the brand name to carry it.

#35 Posted by Redbullet685 (6068 posts) -

This is good. I want to buy this so bad but will wait for the price to drop a bit. Glad to see it sell well.

#36 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

@larryrules138 said:

@NMC2008 said:

-_-

Activision sold the rights to the game to Square-Enix I believe so they're probably doing just fine. They didn't make nothing on the deal at least.

Oh I know but looking at this thread and the one on NeoGAF you'd think they think Activision should be kicking themselves for selling it off because the game sold a few copies in the gaming drought time of year. They couldn't possibly think that could they?

#37 Posted by Zajtalan (1163 posts) -

Gta v gonna be so much better lol

#38 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@DystopiaX said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Metal_Mills said:

Kinda makes me wonder what R* are doing with V to make it better, what with all these really good "clones" coming out. Hopefully they ARE doing something and not relying on the brand name to carry it.

Of course they are. All they have to do is put in a billboard that has a bad Sleeping Dogs pun like True Grime, and stick the name of the game on a tombstone, along with the "rest of the competition".

#39 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

@NMC2008 said:

@larryrules138 said:

@NMC2008 said:

-_-

Oh I know but looking at this thread and the one on NeoGAF you'd think they think Activision should be kicking themselves for selling it off because the game sold a few copies in the gaming drought time of year. They couldn't possibly think that could they?

I'd like to believe (well, I hope at least) they're kicking themselves for thinking Sleepy Dawgz wasn't a worthwhile investment but Prototype 2 was.

#40 Posted by Brodehouse (10107 posts) -

Activision is a publicly traded company that has based it's business around massive profit margins. Sleeping Dogs, even if it ends up turning a profit, will not turn the margins of CoD, Skylanders, Spider-Man or Blizzard games. If they a 3:1 return on all their products, it means that releasing a product with a 2:1 return actually devalues their margins. Crazy, I know. That's the crucible of going public.

I still greatly prefer EA, 2K, Ubi, Sony, Bethesda, Capcom, Square Eidos, Warner, Microsoft, and... Well, maybe Konami. Because those companies still release games I want, you can talk about the value of those games in specific, but I can pick and choose what I'll spend my money on, even if it's not good they've still got products on offer. But still, it seems like they're in the business of making games whereas Activision is in the business of making money. it's worked well for them, but how long can it go? I still like to believe on some level it's the people who make games that make them great. If Activision is just grinding people up until they quit and go to EA or 2K or independent, how are they going to put out these high-profit games?

Then again, look. Guy who was project lead on Dead Space quits EA before that game even comes out, joins Activision. Bungie gets out of the Microsoft Halo gulag, immediately makes a 10 year deal with Activision. They must be saying something right to convince all these people to work with them.

#41 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

@Kidavenger: Darksiders 2 only came out today in the UK...

#42 Posted by probablytuna (3807 posts) -

Good on Square Enix for picking this up and the game getting good reviews and sales. Though I doubt Activision will care, much.

#43 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

I am planning on buying it later today. Reviews look promising, also have a preorder of AC III: Freedom Edition up my sleeve.

#44 Posted by Cirdain (3112 posts) -

Yes!

#45 Posted by CABBAGES (533 posts) -

Sleeping dogs is so good ive finished the story and i might actually go back and get all the collectables and stuff and S-RANK it !

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.