Sister Question. (Spoilers)

#1 Posted by Barrock (3551 posts) -

During one of the earlier missions someone asks Wei about his sister and he explains that she overdosed. However to me it really sounded like Wei was going to say something else, stopped himself, and then went with overdosed. Did anyone else notice this or am I just insane?

#2 Posted by Grimhild (723 posts) -

My impression was that it was some where in the middle. I think she 'did' overdose, but maybe not in the States like he claims. I got the feeling that she never left Hong Kong, and Dog Eyes hooked her on smack and kept her around for a awhile, after which she OD'ed while Wei was in the states. Like maybe he didn't want it to be known that he had a vendetta or history with Dog Eyes.

But that's what I got from it. I might be over thinking it.

#3 Posted by AjayRaz (12460 posts) -

@Grimhild said:

My impression was that it was some where in the middle. I think she 'did' overdose, but maybe not in the States like he claims. I got the feeling that she never left Hong Kong, and Dog Eyes hooked her on smack and kept her around for a awhile, after which she OD'ed while Wei was in the states. Like maybe he didn't want it to be known that he had a vendetta or history with Dog Eyes.

But that's what I got from it. I might be over thinking it.

well, i think one of the reasons why Wei wanted to take down the Sun On Yee was because the drug that that Mimi overdosed on was sold to her by somebody from the Sun On Yee. so, you may be onto something if i didn't just pull that detail out of my ass.

#4 Posted by Korwin (2978 posts) -

If you read the reports there's one there for Wei's sister and she's not listed as deceased, he's probably lying to protect her if things go bad. She is however HIV and Hep C positive from a history of drug abuse and rape, the report mentions her receiving anti viral treatments.

#5 Posted by Barrock (3551 posts) -

@Korwin said:

If you read the reports there's one there for Wei's sister and she's not listed as deceased, he's probably lying to protect her if things go bad. She is however HIV and Hep C positive from a history of drug abuse and rape, the report mentions her receiving anti viral treatments.

I see! I thought maybe she'd come into play during the story at some point but never did. Sadly I didn't read the reports.

#6 Edited by Grimhild (723 posts) -

@Korwin said:

Hmm I'll have to go through them again. I thought that he mentioned that she was in rehab and treatment, but that she relapsed and then OD'ed.

EDIT:

Yeah the social worker report is just a diagnosis, and says that she's on a waiting list for a treatment center. So I'm not sure, but that sounds she was in line to get treatment, but hadn't received it as of the time of the social worker report.

#7 Posted by Shirogane (3581 posts) -

From what i read of the reports, she is dead and she did OD. I thought what you were thinking too at first, but after reading the reports i think it's more like Wei not wanting to say it and pausing a bit.

#8 Posted by fetchfox (1335 posts) -

Watched the movie Protégé last night, and some plot similarities are very apparent. Not a rip in any way, but I'd say that Sleeping Dogs definitely took some inspiration from it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.