Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sleeping Dogs

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Recreating the thrill of Hong Kong action movies, Sleeping Dogs is an open-world crime adventure that tells the story of undercover officer Wei Shen as he infiltrates a notorious Triad organization in the streets of a fictional Hong Kong.

Sleeping Dogs is better than GTA

Paul_Tillich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Paul_Tillich

Am I the only person in the world who thinks the game is better than GTA IV? The graphics are better (and close to on par with those ice mods). Also, the gameplay is certainly better - unique controls for driving and fighting instead of making an open world game and shoving everything else in. It is not Batman, but it actually has good fights instead of broken open world mechanics - they are separate mechanics. And finally, the story is compelling and well written, instead of trying to sell me Nico as a good guy when he is clearly crap.

Ok, let the hatred spew at me...

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Coafi

Sleeping Dogs is a great game. Is it better than GTA IV? I don't know, I don't think they bare enough similarities to compare them.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hunkulese

Besides the obligatory yes you're the only person in the world who thinks that way, GTA IV is a 4 year old game now and I'd hope current games would be pushing the genre forward. Check back when GTA V is out.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Jazzycola

Hey if you liked it better than GTA that's really your opinion and welcome to have it. I cannot agree or disagree considering I haven't played Sleeping Dogs. Also, it's not hard to look better than a game that was put out nearly 4 years ago.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

I haven't actually played GTA4, but a lot of people seem to think it was not as spectacular as it first appeared to be.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Shady

A lot of open world games are better than GTA IV.

Paul_Tillich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Paul_Tillich

Ok (last time I started a thread things were not so friendly), given these comments, the heart of my comment is that I would rather play Sleepy Dawgs over GTA. I would be fine with someone defending a higher score for GTA, I just prefer the new game for the reasons mentioned. Does that make sense - recognizing something as better but not as interesting to you? Maybe this is not an issue on Giant Bomb, but I listen to many other podcasts and visit other sites and the negativity (or mediocrity) is strong there.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmilingPig

@Hunkulese said:

Besides the obligatory yes you're the only person in the world who thinks that way, GTA IV is a 4 year old game now and I'd hope current games would be pushing the genre forward. Check back when GTA V is out.

yep!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee

Nah. And I really enjoy Sleeping Dogs as well, but... nah. Though I do especially like the balance it strikes between seriousness and ridiculousness; it reminds me more so of Saints Row 2 in that way.

bagrm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By bagrm

@Paul_Tillich said:

And finally, the story is compelling and well written, instead of trying to sell me Nico as a good guy when he is clearly crap.

Uhh, I think that's supposed to be how Rockstar wanted you to feel about Nico.

Also, these games came out much too far apart to compare objectively. Judging GTA V, when it comes out, against Sleeping Dogs will be a better comparison.

Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Portis

This Sleeping Dogs stuff is getting out of hand. Great game, but damn dude.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By impartialgecko

GTA 4 is 4 years old and had a terrible PC port. If Sleeping Dogs didn't have such a great PC version then people wouldn't be fawning all over it. It's a solid game but GTA 4 is miles ahead of it in terms of storytelling and tone.

Mastercheesey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Mastercheesey

Why are you comparing it to GTA?

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By shirogane

@Yummylee said:

Nah. And I really enjoy Sleeping Dogs as well, but... nah. Though I do especially like the balance it strikes between seriousness and ridiculousness; it reminds me more so of Saints Row 2 in that way.

And San Andreas. Man that game was fun. I was having fun in Sleeping Dogs until the Cockfight bets starting screwing me over. Screw you game,seriously, just screw you.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Phatmac

Why do people keep saying "example x is a way better open world game than GTA!!"? Why does it always end up like this with most open world games? Is there some grand glee that people get off after dismissing GTA or what? Is it the underdog beating the champ mentality? Either way I fucking hate it.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16  Edited By impartialgecko

@Phatmac said:

Why do people keep saying "example x is a way better open world game than GTA!!"? Why does it always end up like this with most open world games? Is there some grand glee that people get off after dismissing GTA or what? Is it the underdog beating the champ mentality? Either way I fucking hate it.

As soon as something becomes big people want to see it fall. Same deal with Halo and Call of Duty, once you set a yardstick people can't wait to see it smashed by something else.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By AngelN7

Yes, you're the only one in the world... think about it.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#18  Edited By Phatmac

@adam1808 said:

@Phatmac said:

As soon as something becomes big people want to see it fall. Same deal with Halo and Call of Duty, once you set a yardstick people can't wait to see it smashed by something else.

I guess. It just seems that whenever a new open world real life crime game comes out it is destined to fight against GTA. It doesn't make any goddamn sense.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MikeGosot

I had more fun with Sleeping Dogs than GTA, but i think they have different objectives in mind.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Tsoglani

San Andreas is still my favourite, don't think another open world crime game in its genre has come close to it yet.

Although I dig Sleeping Dogs, I can't really compare it with anything until GTAV comes out, especially as others have said that GTAIV is a few years old.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Milkman

Completely different games with completely different goals. 

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Vinny_Says

This subjective comparison is about as dumb as your opening line. Truth of the matter is GTA 4 was released four years ago; if open world games aren't able to make gameplay improvements on the formula from so long ago then it's a sad industry we support.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23  Edited By JasonR86

Neat.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By tim_the_corsair

The turd I just flushed is better than Rockstar's combined output since Vice City

eduardopato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By eduardopato

@MikeGosot said:

I had more fun with Sleeping Dogs than GTA, but i think they have different objectives in mind.

Yep, agreed. And all the Kung Fu/Chinese stuff dragged me right back at movies from Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan (not Jackie "Hollywood" Chan, not that I dislike that one) and all those crazy bastards kicking asses.

But there's no reason to compare those 2 games. Just like Saints Row: The Third got nothing to do with GTA or Mafia.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@Phatmac said:

@adam1808 said:

@Phatmac said:

I guess. It just seems that whenever a new open world real life crime game comes out it is destined to fight against GTA. It doesn't make any goddamn sense.

Nor will it ever. Take my advice and just stop trying to make sense of it haha. After years of visiting mmo forums and watching the same thing happen to WoW, I'm just exhausted trying to make sense of these people and I don't even like WoW that much. I'm fine with people having opinions. I welcome it with open arms. But this mentality of "I can't like this other thing if I like this thing" or "I have to compare this thing to this other thing to validate it" will just eternally baffle me.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Enigma777

Eggar is fr dix

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By QuistisTrepe

Since when has graphics ever been one of the touted features of GTA? If you want to make comparisons on gameplay and atmosphere then fine. But graphics? Not a good point to bring up at all.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ThePaleKing

Ultima 7 is the best GTA game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Against GTA 4, sure!

Against San Andreas, well only one of these games has O.G Loc in it so we know who the winner is.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By probablytuna

You're comparing a 2012 game to a 2008 game. If you're gonna judge them at least wait until GTAV comes out.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DystopiaX

@Paul_Tillich said:

Am I the only person in the world who thinks the game is better than GTA IV? The graphics are better (and close to on par with those ice mods). Also, the gameplay is certainly better - unique controls for driving and fighting instead of making an open world game and shoving everything else in. It is not Batman, but it actually has good fights instead of broken open world mechanics - they are separate mechanics. And finally, the story is compelling and well written, instead of trying to sell me Nico as a good guy when he is clearly crap.

The graphics are better because the game came out 4 years later, that's not a surprise. I will agree the melee is better but that was clearly a focus for sleeping dogs. I liked both SA and IV's cities better though, the people and radio and everything surrounding the game was a lot better imo. The stories are 2 different things really, they try to do things differently. Although I will give props to Sleeping Dogs from making the "running endless errands for countless people" feel more natural than GTA has.

But like others are saying you can't really compare Sleeping Dogs to GTA IV because GTA IV is an older game. Once V comes out the comparisons are more fair.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33  Edited By Castiel

Skyrim is better than GTA IV!

Oh wait that's ridiculous cause other than being open world games they have nothing in common. Can we please stop comparing every single open world game to GTA? No of course we can't because this is the internet and fuck me for saying this right?

No Caption Provided
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By huntad

What's the point in comparing them? Play the one you like or play them both. Done.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By stryker1121

@believer258 said:

I haven't actually played GTA4, but a lot of people seem to think it was not as spectacular as it first appeared to be.

I guess i'm one of those who didn't think GTAIV deserved the hyperbolic acclaim it received. My main problem was there was nothing to do in the world but raise your threat level and see how long you could survive. Other GTA games had loads of crazy stuff to do on the side (jetpacks, for one) and IV's attempts at "realism" hamstrung it somewhat. It's a good game for sure, but not a classic like Vice City or even San Andreas. Seems V is going back to GTA's roots, and I welcome it.

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By haffy

I thought Gta 4 was a pretty amazing game. I thought it deserved all the near perfect scores it received. But then again, I don't hate on things just because of it's popularity.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By AhmadMetallic

GTA 4 pioneered this shit four years ago. This game is a mere clone that happens to be excellent, with a Batman combat system and nice parkour moves.

Respect GTA.

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sarge1445

@Paul_Tillich said:

Niko was the good guy and his stupid ass cousin got him caught up in bad shit. As for which is better idk have not played sleeping dogs yet. I will say GTA4 is one of my top 5 favorite games of all time

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By buft

They both have their own high points and low points for me the combat in Sleeping dogs is alot better, everything from the the way gunplay feels to the combat which is obviously much more fluid and satisfying than that of GTA but the world can sometimes feel empty of life which is something the grand theft auto games do really well and i honestly liek the driving in GTA better. I'd be hard pushed to pick a favorite though

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By falserelic

I enjoyed sleeping dogs the hand to hand combat was fun, but the shooting was kinda meh. Still I had more fun with sleeping dogs then GTA 4.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Carryboy

Yeh i prefer it gta IV was a disappointment for me the controls were so bad.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Fearbeard

I think it's better, but again, it's hard to compare things like gameplay and graphics when there has been 4 years for the genre to evolve on the platform. Kind of like comparing GTA: San Andreas to GTA III.

Also while I enjoyed the story, there was a lot more that should have been done with it. There are tons of characters which you meet once or twice who then vanish entirely who have very little impact on the main story, and do not have enough time dedicated to them to make them at all important. At least the characters in GTA IV had enough time dedicated to them to make an impact on you. I can't give the edge to Sleeping Dogs on this part.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Rowr

I feel like they are too many years apart in release for a fair comparison. The universe of GTA 4 is fairly unbeatable in my opinion, there aren't many games with the attention to detail, cultural relevance and biting satire on the scale that Rockstar bring.

I will say the story seems to be paced much better in sleeping dogs.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JoeyRavn

What I really liked about Sleeping Dogs is that it's a lot more "focused" than a GTA game. I can't speak for GTA IV because I haven't played it yet, but it took me only 31 hours to S-RankSleeping Dogs (and probably three or four hours were spent grinding some of the most boring Achievements). That's 100% completion in 31 hours. I wouldn't even dream about it with a GTA game. Now that I don't have as much time to play game as I used to have when San Andreas came out, being able to complete a game and move on to the next one is always a plus.

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By dropabombonit

Sleeping Dogs is a great game and does a lot stuff mechanically better than GTA IV but GTA IV is one of the best games of this generation

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the fight between Sleeping Dogs and GTA, I will always side with . . .

. . . Driver: San Francisco.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FilipHolm

Nothin can beat GTAIV for me. I concider it to be one of the best games ever made. But Sleeping Dogs is a good amount of fun

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MeierTheRed

Can you really compare GTA 4 to Sreeping Dogs? Sleeping Dogs seems like some slap stick sandbox game, where as GTA 4 took it self way too seriously. I can tell you one thing though Sleeping Dogs is not better than Vice City. But again people have stupid opinions.

killr0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By killr0y

Crackdown beats them both.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Its a fantastic game, great story, fighting, graphics but the driving is just ridiculous it is way too easy to drive a bike in that game, you can smash into cars and nothing happens.

GTA IV is just too legendary to compare it too, the city of Liberty City is just a master class of game making , the physics, characters, dialogue and music. I always go back to it to just have a play around in free mode.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.