Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sleeping Dogs

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Recreating the thrill of Hong Kong action movies, Sleeping Dogs is an open-world crime adventure that tells the story of undercover officer Wei Shen as he infiltrates a notorious Triad organization in the streets of a fictional Hong Kong.

Sleeping Dogs is better than GTA

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#201  Edited By Skytylz

@clonedzero said:

Sleeping dogs is one of those games thats pretty good, but had a really entertaining quicklook so everyone in the community is jumping on the "its amazing" bandwagon so they can feel like they're part of the crew. Don't get me wrong, i think its a pretty good game, i really enjoyed playing it. It's just no where near as good as GTA5, get real guys. If it wasn't for the vinny quicklooks no one here would be saying it was so good.

But this is one of those mind numbingly dumb arguments "the game i like is better! no mines better!". It's just made even more pointless when you factor in the obvious bias of everyone siding with sleeping dogs because of the quicklooks.

Sleeping dogs does pretty much everything better than GTA 5. GTA 5 felt like a chore to play and the city crafted in sleeping dogs was way more fun to explore.

Edit: Also, I see some people saying GTA has better graphics and having played sleeping dogs on PC, I have to say you are just wrong.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@laserguy said:

Sleeping Dogs is grreat. i can fight. I can look for wedding dress's. Old Salty Crab.

PORK BUN

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Sleeping dogs is one of those games thats pretty good, but had a really entertaining quicklook so everyone in the community is jumping on the "its amazing" bandwagon so they can feel like they're part of the crew.

This doesn't actually exist. No one is so weak-willed and lonely that they will profess love for a game on an anonymous forum in some ridiculous attempt to get closer to a half-dozen video game critics. If someone says they love a game; they love it. They might have been introduced to the game through Vinny (or another staff-member), but they aren't trying to "feel like they're part of the crew."

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development: no, he's pretty spot on when it comes to this community. Games like Sleeping Dogs and Deadly Premonition only get the love they do here because of the content surrounding them. Coincidentally, most of the bomb-crew (besides Jeff somewhat) seem to have a pretty negative opinion of GTA, an opinion that seems to be pretty popular on this forum.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development: no, he's pretty spot on when it comes to this community. Games like Sleeping Dogs and Deadly Premonition only get the love they do here because of the content surrounding them. Coincidentally, most of the bomb-crew (besides Jeff somewhat) seem to have a pretty negative opinion of GTA, an opinion that seems to be pretty popular on this forum.

I mean, yeah, Vinny's video content of the game got me to check it out. But I ended up getting way more out of the story than I thought I would. I figured it would just be dumb fun, but man. Some hard-hitting, emotional stuff was discovered.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

didn't sleeping dog like hire the guy from Batman Arkham Asylum to help their game? or at least Square Eidos tends to do that whole cross company sharing development philosophy. Just wondering why Arkham Origins didn't even get the combat right but yet Sleeping Dogs got something that feels like it's own thing. It's not identical to Arkham but it's it's own thing, like a 90s Hong Kong Cop film staring Donny Yen.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#207  Edited By Yummylee
    @horseman6 said:

@yummylee said:
    @mclargepants said:

Sleeping Dogs has better graphics, driving, fighting, shooting and story than GTA. It's just less ambitious, and that's okay. GTA hasn't evolved its mechanics enough since 3, and it shows, GTAV is positively dated.

lol

Sleeping Dogs most definitely does a fair few things better than GTA V, but the driving? Nah mate. Graphically GTA V is also obviously much superior when viewed from a console perspective, too.

GTA V is not only ugly but runs like complete crap.

Nope. And if you actually believe that and aren't just been an antagonistic troll, then I think you need to redefine just what your definition of 'ugly' and 'runs like complete crap' actually entails.

@mclargepants said:

@yummylee: Yeah, and I stand by that. The driving in GTA is nothing to write home about, and the chases aren't fun! All I could think about is how awesome it was to position your car in Sleeping Dogs so I can action high jack. There is no fun to be had in GTAVs driving. I'd think maybe I'm just remembering things wrong, but I did every single race I could in Sleeping Dogs because it was just so much fun to drive around the city, and all the driving made me sick of GTAV.

Jeez, reading that to myself makes me feel like I'm living in Bizarro world. Sleeping Dog's driving is generally very arcadey and kinda generic, whereas GTA V's adds accessibility to the driving from GTA IV, but still retains the same amount of 'realistic' weight to it all. Vehicles feel like vehicles, whereas in Sleeping Dogs it was more akin to driving around in plastic toys. Plus, GTA V's damage modelling is also significantly superior. The most fun I had in GTA V was probably simply driving around in its world, be it in the midst of crazy cop chases, or just driving up mountains and hilltops and rocketing off the top. I would even engage in the taxi missions, just as a means to drive around a little more while giving it some semblance of structure.

By comparison, Sleeping Dog's driving just felt as more of a means to an end for me; like I'm driving purely to get to where I need to go. Naturally it has an edge with its action-hijack feature, and not to mention your ability to hilariously defy physics and slam into opposing vehicles. But the actual act of driving in that game was one of its weakest aspects.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think GTA V overall is flawed, and I fairly recently wrote up a substantial blog on the many, many issues I had with that game. But the driving is one such aspect that I think is superb, and that it is legitimately some of--if not the--best open-world driving without being a dedicated racing game. It's a completely different level of quality when compared to the likes of Sleeping Dogs or Saints Row.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By Yummylee
    @skytylz said:

@clonedzero said:

Sleeping dogs is one of those games thats pretty good, but had a really entertaining quicklook so everyone in the community is jumping on the "its amazing" bandwagon so they can feel like they're part of the crew. Don't get me wrong, i think its a pretty good game, i really enjoyed playing it. It's just no where near as good as GTA5, get real guys. If it wasn't for the vinny quicklooks no one here would be saying it was so good.

But this is one of those mind numbingly dumb arguments "the game i like is better! no mines better!". It's just made even more pointless when you factor in the obvious bias of everyone siding with sleeping dogs because of the quicklooks.

Sleeping dogs does pretty much everything better than GTA 5. GTA 5 felt like a chore to play and the city crafted in sleeping dogs was way more fun to explore.

Edit: Also, I see some people saying GTA has better graphics and having played sleeping dogs on PC, I have to say you are just wrong.

Of course Sleeping Dogs on PC looks better than GTA V. It's downright ludicrous that you'd even make such a comparison considering that GTA V is still currently a console exclusive. When it gets its inevitable PC release, then you can compare each game's true potential. But until then, from a console perspective it's safe to say that GTA V looks much better than Sleeping Dogs.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

You have literally no source to back up that claim, you're just using the fact that occasionally the opinions of the staff and community match up, which is also nonsense because there are always plenty of people that disagree. Brad loved Mass Effect 3, most of the community do not. The whole staff liked BioShock: Infinite, many people in the community do not. The whole staff liked Brothers and Gone Home, many people in the communtiy do not. GiantBomb gave Game of the Year to Skyrim, many people in the community don't like that game. There have been a ton of Volgarr The Viking streams, yet there has not been any particular love in the community for it. This is just off the top of my head.

You're using confirmation bias to back up a pretty dickish claim, dude.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

If I remember correctly, the GB crew were late to Deadly Premonition. Patrick and Sessler were high on it when they were at G4. Garnet Lee was high on it on Weekend Confirmed. Destructiod gave it a 10. The GB community told the crew that they needed to check out the game because it was something special.

Personally I thought that GTA IV, RDR and GTA V are all good, well made games but aren't any fun, and I've thought that before any negativity from the crew happened. In that first week after GTA V was released all the crew seemed to like it. It starts off fun because of it's newness but the more you play it the more you realize they made the exact same game again and there is nothing new. By the time you reach the end it's just dragging on and on.

Turns out the community and the crew have similar tastes a lot of the time. Weird. Neither one influences the other. They just agree because they like and dislike the same things.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

All I can say is:

I stopped playing GTA IV out of boredom after a few hours.

But I renewed my plus subscription to be able to platinum Sleeping Dogs

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By capaho

Why do I find this thread in at least one forum on every game site that I browse? The wording of the opening post is almost identical in every one.

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: @lackingsaint: nothing "dickish" here, I'm just honestly flabbergasted when someone can claim SD did "everything" better than GTA, or that Rockstar doesnt know how to make a good game anymore.. It feels like if a game isn't an underrated gem it just gets shit all over by this community.

And I don't care what anyone says, any reviewer that gives Deadly Premonition a 10 is full of absolute shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@yummylee: Awful framerate, blurry visuals, and ugly as hell character models.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@mosespippy: @lackingsaint: nothing "dickish" here, I'm just honestly flabbergasted when someone can claim SD did "everything" better than GTA, or that Rockstar doesnt know how to make a good game anymore.. It feels like if a game isn't an underrated gem it just gets shit all over by this community.

And I don't care what anyone says, any reviewer that gives Deadly Premonition a 10 is full of absolute shit.

Maybe people have different opinions to you, rather than being brainwashed puppets of the crew? And hey, you'd get along great with the staff then, because the only guy who even talked about review scores with Deadly Premontions was Jeff and he said he'd have given the game "two, maybe three stars".

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol k

Sajorij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also think that Sleeping Dogs is way better than GTA V. And I wouldn't exactly use story as an example of GTA V's greatness since the game doesn't have any. Only a set of more or less comically violent scenes. Well written? Maybe. Good story? No way.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

Sleeping Dogs was one of my favourite games last year, i was lucky enough to pick it up on pc during a steam sale because (in part) i had heard the guys on the bombcast talking about it. Absolutely loved it, wasnt expecting to but it had kind of a Shenmue/Stranglehold mix which appealed to me more than GTA ever has, not that GTA is bad but i have never ever finished any of the games in the series because at some point i just lose interest. Maybe its just growing up with a whole bunch of Jet Li and Chow Yun Fat movies but i found it a much more compelling experiance.

Vic2point0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By Vic2point0
    @alecofthewest said:

I'll never understand this community's obsession with Sleeping Dogs. It's a decent game, but (imo) every single thing it does good there's another game that does it better. It's just a mish-mash of various open-world concepts, making it feel kind of bland.

Edit: and people like the driving in SD? Are you serious? That game had some of the worst driving physics I've ever seen, bordering on True Crime NYC levels of bad.

If you're going to say that everything in SD had been done better in games before it... I think you should admit the same goes for GTA 5, with the exception of maybe graphics and presentation.

I thought Sleeping Dogs' driving was better. It just takes some getting used to, reminds me a lot of Midnight Club L.A. But once you get used to it, it's pretty smooth. And of course there are little features that make it more enjoyable. Besides the ability to barge attack enemy vehicles and leap from one vehicle to another, the GPS puts arrows right on the street (optional) so you're not constantly "playing the mini-map" and the vehicle damage is much better (none of that hand-holding crap). Then, there's the fact that you can use your car door as a weapon and the fact that you can AIM BEFORE SHOOTING while driving around, stuff like that.

Vic2point0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really... I had to Google "vinny quicklook" just to know what you were saying here. No, I think SD is better because I've played both games and found Sleeping Dogs more enjoyable all around, and I suspect that at least most of the people on this "bandwagon" are there for the same reason.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sleeping dogs has no aircraft or boats so GTA wins.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sleeping dogs totally has boats. You can take them out to gambling dens set up on barges in the harbour. At least that's more fun than looking for submarine parts.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vic2point0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thatdutchguy said:

Sleeping dogs totally has boats. You can take them out to gambling dens set up on barges in the harbour. At least that's more fun than looking for submarine parts.

Especially when you get practically nothing for your trouble for finding all those damned collectibles. Sleeping Dogs also rewards you better for this as well.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Roger778

Sleeping Dogs was fantastic. The environment kills you can do made me wince every time I saw them.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im now playing through Sleeping Dogs again, but this time im going through on PS3 (i miss the great looking textures on PC...but i might as well get trophies) and im still having the same issue: I really dislike the driving in Sleeping Dogs, I find the ramming and action jacking to be cool but just the act of driving around the world I find really uninteresting. Grand Theft Auto 5 on the other hand i really enjoy just driving around the city and the mountains, there is just more variety and the handling feels great. Also I still really hate the shaking vehicle cam in Sleeping Dogs. Point GTA

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sleeping Dogs, among many games, somehow went from "alright/solid game" to "amazing". Not sure how/when that happened. It's not all that. And it's not better then GTA.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#228  Edited By Peanut

I had fun with Sleeping Dogs. I didn't want it to end. I sometimes had fun with GTAV. I constantly wished it would end.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Vuud

Does Sleepy Dogs have guns at all? I'm a couple hours into it and am a bit disappointed at how much hand-to-hand there is. I was expecting some more crazy Hong Kong cop, Tequila style shoot 'em up action.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By pr1mus
    @vuud said:

Does Sleepy Dogs have guns at all? I'm a couple hours into it and am a bit disappointed at how much hand-to-hand there is. I was expecting some more crazy Hong Kong cop, Tequila style shoot 'em up action.

There are guns but they definitely don't show up early and even when they do melee combat remains the preferred method of messing people up.

VintAge68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I loved GTA V but am also curious as regards Sleeping Dogs which is one of the free Games for Gold on XBL this month (at least in Europe).

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vuud said:

They aren't introduced in missions until the end of act one. At that point it'll be a part of pretty much every mission. You can find them in the open world early on though. They sometimes can be found in the lockboxes that are scattered throughout the city. Or you can take a boat along the coast until you find a sewer exit and there is always one in those. Or if you have all the DLC there is an assault riffle that spawns in your apartment.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@turambar said:

Speaking of which, Sleeping Dog on steam right now for 5 bucks. Go get it.

I did! I loved GTAV but yeah, I'll agree that Sleeping Dogs is better in just about every way.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#234  Edited By Sooty

@yummylee said:
    @horseman6 said:

lol k

He's not entirely wrong. The framerate is pretty bad and the visuals are somewaht blurred, definitely jaggy as hell. It's amazing it runs on the hardware, and in the right lighting it looks pretty good.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alecofthewest said:

I'll never understand this community's obsession with Sleeping Dogs. It's a decent game, but (imo) every single thing it does good there's another game that does it better. It's just a mish-mash of various open-world concepts, making it feel kind of bland.

Edit: and people like the driving in SD? Are you serious? That game had some of the worst driving physics I've ever seen, bordering on True Crime NYC levels of bad.

If you're going to say that everything in SD had been done better in games before it... I think you should admit the same goes for GTA 5, with the exception of maybe graphics and presentation.

I thought Sleeping Dogs' driving was better. It just takes some getting used to, reminds me a lot of Midnight Club L.A. But once you get used to it, it's pretty smooth. And of course there are little features that make it more enjoyable. Besides the ability to barge attack enemy vehicles and leap from one vehicle to another, the GPS puts arrows right on the street (optional) so you're not constantly "playing the mini-map" and the vehicle damage is much better (none of that hand-holding crap). Then, there's the fact that you can use your car door as a weapon and the fact that you can AIM BEFORE SHOOTING while driving around, stuff like that.

Only on Giant Bomb is this even a discussion. GTA has a far superior metascore and user score, outside of this site it's just a pretty good game. The driving physics is Sleeping Dogs are awful, just a terrible driving model with very generic looking cars. I don't see how anyone with any game design knowledge could think the driving model in sleeping dogs is better. I guarantee if you asked Polyphony Digital which game has a better driving model they'd all pick GTA V. I mean, c'mon, there's virtually no vehicle physics in Sleeping Dogs...and very very few different models of cars. The gunplay also isn't nearly as good with much less interesting weapons. YES the fighting IS better in Sleeping Dogs, but its also very arcadey. I also found the mission stucture, voice acting, and writing ALL better in GTA V as well as IV. The writing in Sleeping Dogs in completely cop-flick generic.

All that said I REALLY enjoyed Sleeping Dogs, but it doesn't even compare if you ask me. I can understand if someone likes the game more, but to people saying the driving is better in Sleeping Dogs...I just cant take that person seriously because that game has terrible car physics. Now, if you say you like Saint's Row driving better I can't argue with that because that game has well done driving (I still like GTA better though).

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

GTA V was the most disappointing game of last year. Long live Sleeping Dogs

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#238  Edited By Zevvion

@skytylz said:

@clonedzero said:

Sleeping dogs does pretty much everything better than GTA 5.GTA 5 felt like a chore to play and the city crafted in sleeping dogs was way more fun to explore.

I do not necessarily agree with this, but I absolutely agree with this.

GTAV was fun in spots. But it was at least half busy-work. I do not regret playing it though. I think the world is much better realized than any other open world game. So even if I was doing boring stuff, it was kind of neat. That doesn't excuse it though. That game is stuck in the past in so many ways that frustrated me. Yet, I still think it is the third best GTA game I played. Just a tad behind III and lightyears behind VC.

It's weird. Even though I was bored for half of the game, I somehow still enjoyed myself. Sleeping Dogs is definitely more fun, but it doesn't have that same detail.

AlchemistZer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only person in the world who thinks the game is better than GTA IV? The graphics are better (and close to on par with those ice mods). Also, the gameplay is certainly better - unique controls for driving and fighting instead of making an open world game and shoving everything else in. It is not Batman, but it actually has good fights instead of broken open world mechanics - they are separate mechanics. And finally, the story is compelling and well written, instead of trying to sell me Nico as a good guy when he is clearly crap.

Ok, let the hatred spew at me...

I agree much better!

Vic2point0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By Vic2point0

@counterclockwork87:

"Only on Giant Bomb is this even a discussion. GTA has a far superior metascore and user score, outside of this site it's just a pretty good game."

Which game is "pretty good"? I honestly don't see how GTA 5 is getting such good ratings. To me, it was a dreadful bore once I got past the graphics and presentation. So many great features/activities from previous GTAs were absent to make room for mostly boring activities and a huge but mostly empty map. There were practically no improvements or innovation in the gameplay department, the cop and wanted level system is certifiably broken, melee still sucks, parkour still sucks, some of the controls and their limitations are just ridiculous, and I couldn't stand playing as three pathetic losers to boot.

"The driving physics is Sleeping Dogs are awful, just a terrible driving model with very generic looking cars. I don't see how anyone with any game design knowledge could think the driving model in sleeping dogs is better. I guarantee if you asked Polyphony Digital which game has a better driving model they'd all pick GTA V. I mean, c'mon, there's virtually no vehicle physics in Sleeping Dogs...and very very few different models of cars."

I never had any trouble with the driving once I got used to it. The only real complaint I can think of (because arcade vs realistic style is a matter of preference; it's not necessarily the case that one is better than the other) is that you pretty much can't use the camera while turning your vehicle at all. But like I said, I got used to it and it was no big deal; I was spinning around perfectly into the desired lane in no time.

You had replied to my post specifically, which I why I'm replying to you, and now reminding you of why I personally enjoyed the driving in SD more than GTA 5: There are little features that make it more enjoyable. Besides the ability to barge attack enemy vehicles and leap from one vehicle to another, the GPS puts arrows right on the street (optional) so you're not constantly "playing the mini-map". Then, there's the fact that you can use your car door as a weapon and the fact that you can AIM BEFORE SHOOTING while driving around, stuff like that.

"The gunplay also isn't nearly as good with much less interesting weapons."

Shooting while jumping over obstacles or out of a vehicle (in bullet time, no less) makes it pretty fun in my book. Plus, the guns feel more powerful because they're more rare in this game. But I will agree they could've given us more variety there. And like I mentioned already, shooting while driving is worlds better in SD than in GTA 5.

As for the writing, all that matters to me is that I'm made to give a damn about at least the protagonist if not a few other characters, and they did that in Sleeping Dogs whereas I didn't care about a single character in GTA 5.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.