Sleeping Dogs PC: What settings are you running at? Performance?

#1 Posted by MrOldboy (871 posts) -

Just bought the game and I'm wondering what everyone is running at? What they think about what the settings do in terms of the performance to visual ratio.

I'm planning to download the High res textures, but with my connection I'll be downloading for at least 6-8 more hours to download everything. Reading the performance thread on gaf and hopefully some recomendations here, I'm hoping to not have to fiddle with the settings too much to get it where I want it.

I'll have to get in the game to see what I prefer, but which way do you guys prefer this game. 30 fps with high to max settings, or a constant 60 fps with things like AA lowered. It's different for each game to me, racing games and fast pace shooters I feel need that 60 fps and I;m willing to sacrifice some AA or other crap to get it.

Not running a stellar rig here. AMD phenom II 3.2 ghz x4, GTX 480, 4gb ram, 7200rpm HDD. One person on gaf had a similar rig to mine intel Q6600, GTX 470. Seemed like he was getting good benchmark fps with relatively high settings, just AA down a bit.

#2 Edited by JoeyRavn (4992 posts) -

The game is completely broken for me, I haven't been able to get past the first mission yet. I'm affected by the "can't change the options" bug that has been plaguing the game since the European pre-release patch. Basically, the game resets the graphic options to the max no matter what I do. High SSAO and the highest AA option kill the FPS for my GTX 570, i5 2500K and 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM. I get 15 to 25 FPS in the starting area, when I could be easily getting constant 60 FPS if I could lower those two options.

Edit: Finally managed to make the settings stick via XML editing. The in-game options are still busted, though. I get solid 60 FPS with the following settings:

AA Quality: Normal
High-Res Textures: On
Shadow Resolution: High
Shadow Filtering: High
SSAO: Normal
Motion Blur: Normal
World Density: Extreme

Edit 2: Nope. There's something totally wrong here. The game stutters like crazy, clearly dropping the FPS, but FRAPS keeps reporting 60 FPS. And the draw distance is plainly fucked up: a car has to be literally 2 meters away from me for the proper model to load up. It's pretty obvious that I didn't solve my problem with the XML file... and it seems the devs don't really give a shit about this bug. A lot of people are experiencing it, and the best they were given is a workaround that doesn't work in most cases. So much for the best porting job of the year...

#3 Posted by Korwin (2889 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

The game is completely broken for me, I haven't been able to get past the first mission yet. I'm affected by the "can't change the options" bug that has been plaguing the game since the European pre-release patch. Basically, the game resets the graphic options to the max no matter what I do. High SSAO and the highest AA option kill the FPS for my GTX 570, i5 2500K and 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM. I get 15 to 25 FPS in the starting area, when I could be easily getting constant 60 FPS if I could lower those two options.

Edit: Finally managed to make the settings stick via XML editing. The in-game options are still busted, though. I get solid 60 FPS with the following settings:

AA Quality: Normal
High-Res Textures: On
Shadow Resolution: High
Shadow Filtering: High
SSAO: Normal
Motion Blur: Normal
World Density: Extreme

Edit 2: Nope. There's something totally wrong here. The game stutters like crazy, clearly dropping the FPS, but FRAPS keeps reporting 60 FPS. And the draw distance is plainly fucked up: a car has to be literally 2 meters away from me for the proper model to load up. It's pretty obvious that I didn't solve my problem with the XML file... and it seems the devs don't really give a shit about this bug. A lot of people are experiencing it, and the best they were given is a workaround that doesn't work in most cases. So much for the best porting job of the year...

I was having problems with stuttering on my machines however the SLI profile Nvidia have put together for the game isn't to crash hot. Someone worked out a new set of compatibility bits to use in place of the nvidia defaults so I dropped those into nvidia inspector and it sorted it out pretty well.

Also the high level AA in this game is a killer due to the use of SSAA. What's weird is that the FXAA is tied in with the SSAA which makes it impossible to run a high quality FXAA mode without running SSAA (High FXAA only kicks in once normal SSAA is turned on). They really should split those out into 2 distinct options. The performance difference between normal and high FXAA is basically zero so there's no reason why they shouldn't let you turn it all the way up without having to enable SSAA and slaughter your performance.

#4 Posted by AlexW00d (6302 posts) -

Nividia with shitty drivers and AMD with good ones. Eat it fools.

With my 6870 I am getting ~50 everything on max 'cept motion blur as I fucking hate motion blur, and AA on middle/moderate/medium. Game runs good.

#5 Posted by MrOldboy (871 posts) -

I was getting some fluctuating framerates, installed nvidia drivers posted in the gaf thread. 305.67 dev something.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/devzone/opengl-driver-4.3.html

Much smoother, although I am having a lot of issues with the settings sticking like others noted. Someone on gaf also posted this

Found out why advanced graphic settings won't save.

Make your settings in the advanced tab.
Accept those settings.
Go back to the previous menu (takes a few seconds).
There, go back to the main menu BUT do not save now.
Should work.

I wont be able to try those out until tonight, hopefully I can get them to stick. I change the settings, then the go back to default or whatever when I try to run the game or benchmark.

#6 Posted by SkullcrusherMountain (957 posts) -

This game is driving me up the wall.

FX-8120

Sapphire 6850 CrossfireX

8 GB ram.

I run the benchmark, get around 60-70 average, 120+max, and SEVENTEEN minimum. Latest drivers, did a full uninstall, clean, then reinstall of drivers and profile. Driving during day or night causes the game to shake like Michael J. Fox is holding my tv. The FPS drops INCREDIBLY low, and makes it unplayable. I don't understand. Anyone have any suggestions?

#7 Posted by larryrules138 (142 posts) -

I've got a Core i5 that's getting pretty long in the tooth, a GTX560 TI and 8GBs of RAM. I'm able to run the game maxed out with the high res texture pack, but I set the AA to "normal" or whatever the setting in between low and high is. That seemed to be the big performance killer, at least for me, and with the normal AA it still looks awesome. According to the benchmark I have an average FPS of about 50 which feels fine to me. I've had an FPS dip maybe once or twice total so the game's been buttery smooth for me.

#8 Posted by SlasherMan (1725 posts) -

@SkullcrusherMountain said:

This game is driving me up the wall.

FX-8120

Sapphire 6850 CrossfireX

8 GB ram.

I run the benchmark, get around 60-70 average, 120+max, and SEVENTEEN minimum. Latest drivers, did a full uninstall, clean, then reinstall of drivers and profile. Driving during day or night causes the game to shake like Michael J. Fox is holding my tv. The FPS drops INCREDIBLY low, and makes it unplayable. I don't understand. Anyone have any suggestions?

Maybe try disabling Crossfire?

#9 Posted by JCHenderson (125 posts) -

I have trouble with the game crashing to desktop on anything above medium settings. Runs perfect 60 fps at medium though.

#10 Edited by MrOldboy (871 posts) -

seems the highest AA and SSAO are the big performance killers. I though steam had started to download the high res texture pack for me, but apparantly it didn't. I cant manually tell it to download as it just says "play game" on the DLC page. I closed steam and reopened a few times, started the game, and eventually a 4gb download popped up in my downloads. I wish the DLC stuff was more noticeable if you have downloaded them or not, especially with all the preorder stuff nowadays. Want to make sure I at least get what I paid for.

#11 Edited by OldGuy (1566 posts) -

I'm running an i5-2500K 3.3GHz, 8GB RAM, Radeon 6870 w/1GB (Catalyst 12.6), Win7 64.
Turned it up to Extreme and got a low of... 12? It also showed this weird kind of bullseye in the center of the screen -- a light center with a darker area around it and then a lighter ring around that, taking up about 1/3 of the screen -- very odd. This went away when I turned SSAO off.
Turned off SSAO and was still hitting lows below 30...
Then turned AA to High and now I've got 56.1 Average, 84.7 High and 31.8 Min.
 
Oh, and I've never run the game without the HiRes textures so I can't say how much of a difference they make (though I can say it looks really good with them). Sorry.

#12 Edited by JoeyRavn (4992 posts) -

I tried changing some option and found out that the "stuttering" (to call it some way, but it's not true stuttering) is caused by enabling VSync through the NVIDIA Control Panel (in my case, at least). I deactivated VSync and triple buffering and tha game runs smooth as silk. The catch? +120 FPS make my GPU run hot. Tweaking the VSync option in the XML configuration file doesn't enable it in-game, and the options are still busted, so getting to know what exactly is causing problems in my machine is unnecessarily complicated at this point.

And the game crashed my PC twice yesterday. I'm really happy with this port. Glad I bought it for just €20...

#13 Posted by Draugen (664 posts) -

Everything but the vSync, which I never use, set to max, runs like clockwork. Not had a single problem with it.

#14 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (762 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

Nividia with shitty drivers and AMD with good ones. Eat it fools.

With my 6870 I am getting ~50 everything on max 'cept motion blur as I fucking hate motion blur, and AA on middle/moderate/medium. Game runs good.

Hahaha, FINALLY the tables have turned for us AMD users.

I have unlocked 6950. With everything maxed out (+High Resolution Texture Pack) except shadow settings i can get my fps up to 70.

#15 Posted by SkullcrusherMountain (957 posts) -

@SlasherMan said:

@SkullcrusherMountain said:

This game is driving me up the wall.

FX-8120

Sapphire 6850 CrossfireX

8 GB ram.

I run the benchmark, get around 60-70 average, 120+max, and SEVENTEEN minimum. Latest drivers, did a full uninstall, clean, then reinstall of drivers and profile. Driving during day or night causes the game to shake like Michael J. Fox is holding my tv. The FPS drops INCREDIBLY low, and makes it unplayable. I don't understand. Anyone have any suggestions?

Maybe try disabling Crossfire?

Turned down to medium, disabled AA and texture pack. Runs BETTER, but still drops frames while driving. Oh well, it's playable for now.

#16 Posted by MrOldboy (871 posts) -

@NoCookiesForYou said:

@AlexW00d said:

Nividia with shitty drivers and AMD with good ones. Eat it fools.

With my 6870 I am getting ~50 everything on max 'cept motion blur as I fucking hate motion blur, and AA on middle/moderate/medium. Game runs good.

Hahaha, FINALLY the tables have turned for us AMD users.

I have unlocked 6950. With everything maxed out (+High Resolution Texture Pack) except shadow settings i can get my fps up to 70.

Apparently the dev drivers for Nvidia actually give the game a significant performance boost according to the thread on gaf. I'm going to install them and see if there is any.

#17 Edited by Turkalurch (198 posts) -

So I'm running it on everything maxed out except for AA which is set to High. Resolution 1920 x 1080.

My set up is an AMD 955 BE, 8GB DDR3 1600, and a GTX 670.

I haven't checked my FPS but it feels around 60, but It does starts to stutter when I get to high speeds and I'm cruising through a high density area like one of the main cities. I really haven't messed with the settings to fix it cause it didn't bother me enough to not play the game to the end. That game's story is freaking amazing.

#18 Posted by mtcantor (948 posts) -

Running everything maxed except shadows and AA. High Res patch and high density. Get consistently high framerates.

Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz

GTX 580

16 Gig DDR3 1600

#19 Posted by SkullcrusherMountain (957 posts) -

@SkullcrusherMountain said:

@SlasherMan said:

@SkullcrusherMountain said:

This game is driving me up the wall.

FX-8120

Sapphire 6850 CrossfireX

8 GB ram.

I run the benchmark, get around 60-70 average, 120+max, and SEVENTEEN minimum. Latest drivers, did a full uninstall, clean, then reinstall of drivers and profile. Driving during day or night causes the game to shake like Michael J. Fox is holding my tv. The FPS drops INCREDIBLY low, and makes it unplayable. I don't understand. Anyone have any suggestions?

Maybe try disabling Crossfire?

Turned down to medium, disabled AA and texture pack. Runs BETTER, but still drops frames while driving. Oh well, it's playable for now.

Welp, guess not. If i disable crossfire the stuttering goes away. If I enable it, not so much.

#20 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

At high settings, and with hi-res textures installed I get a buttery smooth framerate.

But goddamn there are bugs and glitches galore in this game. I'm done until they can fix this shit. It's ridiculous. I don't know why Darksiders 2 is getting all the shit for its bugs. I haven't encountered any so far with that game.

#21 Posted by Khann (2885 posts) -

I have an E8400, 6GB DDR2 and a 512MB HD4870. Rather an old system, so I have everything on lowest. Still looks pretty good, though obviously nowhere near as good as it could. 
 
I still have framerate issues when in a really fast vehicle, but other than that I'm happy enough.

#22 Posted by Funkwagon (2 posts) -

I'm running it with an FX-8150, radeon 7970 and 16 Gig DDR3 1600. Game runs smooth at max settings and high res textures.

#23 Edited by Karkarov (3176 posts) -

I run everything but TXAA on the highest possible setting with the high res texture pack. TXAA is set to medium. I still get 30-35 FPS with it on high but the difference in picture quality while nice is not earth shattering or anything in my opinion. I get 60-70 fps constant on the medium setting so it is a no brainer as far as I am concerned. I am playing on a i7 2600k, 16 gig ddr3 1600 ram, and an nvidia gtx 670. OS is 7 ultimate 64 bit.

Lately the game has gotten buggier and crashes now.... all of it since the last update. Prior to that update I only saw 1 crash and no bugs at all. Funny how square patches seem to be designed to f the game up.... Based on the AMD logo on the games opening screens I think it is safe to assume it isn't well optimized for nvidia cards.

#24 Posted by Genkkaku (737 posts) -

I don't have all my Specs on hand but.. Core i7, ATi Radeon HD7970, 16gb Ram, and it runs super smooth

#25 Posted by fetchfox (1288 posts) -

Great performance from my end, GTX 570 DCII (overclocked), core i5 2500k, 8gb ram. Everything maxed except for TXAA, but the game looks insanely pretty without. Almost steady 60fps, and only one crash so far (in about 7-8 hours playtime).

#26 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Does anybody else get a jittery camera when driving? It makes the game unplayable for me.

#27 Posted by ObiKwiet (133 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU: That bothered me too. I think it is intentional though. It's supposed to give you a sense of speed, but, in my opinion, it's a really shitty effect.

Pay attention when you are running from cops. The effect is not present (or drastically reduced) during those sequences.

#28 Posted by Genkkaku (737 posts) -

Just learnt you can run a benchmark

#29 Edited by Zurv (448 posts) -

I'm getting about 70fps will dx11, high rez pack and settings maxed. (vsync off)

(my system config is in my mini-bio)

tho i'm using tri-xfire 7970s - it doesn't max all the cards out... they sit at a little over 50% each.

#30 Posted by SPITIFIRE (1 posts) -

@@JoeyRavn said:

The game is completely broken for me, I haven't been able to get past the first mission yet. I'm affected by the "can't change the options" bug that has been plaguing the game since the European pre-release patch. Basically, the game resets the graphic options to the max no matter what I do. High SSAO and the highest AA option kill the FPS for my GTX 570, i5 2500K and 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM. I get 15 to 25 FPS in the starting area, when I could be easily getting constant 60 FPS if I could lower those two options.

Edit: Finally managed to make the settings stick via XML editing. The in-game options are still busted, though. I get solid 60 FPS with the following settings:

AA Quality: Normal
High-Res Textures: On
Shadow Resolution: High
Shadow Filtering: High
SSAO: Normal
Motion Blur: Normal
World Density: Extreme

Edit 2: Nope. There's something totally wrong here. The game stutters like crazy, clearly dropping the FPS, but FRAPS keeps reporting 60 FPS. And the draw distance is plainly fucked up: a car has to be literally 2 meters away from me for the proper model to load up. It's pretty obvious that I didn't solve my problem with the XML file... and it seems the devs don't really give a shit about this bug. A lot of people are experiencing it, and the best they were given is a workaround that doesn't work in most cases. So much for the best porting job of the year...

hey there, had the same problem, easy to fix...well not really fix but ya I did the following and it worked wiyh no xml editing. When done setting the graphics press E to save the settings, right after that save it again... wait 10 seconds now exit the options and when it prompts you to save>>> choose no... this worked, weird, but yeah :)

#31 Posted by midgetPOSER (1 posts) -

I have a really good computer. When i first downloaded sleeping dogs it was running terribly, i couldnt get over 30, but processor was only at 20 %. I was getting very frustraited until i figured out what the problem was! NVIDIA geforce experience was trying to do somthing on the game that was slowing it down drasticly.

-close sleeping dogs

-open NVIDIA geforce experience

-refresh your game list

-make sure sleeping dogs is optimized!!!

This worked and i am now running at 75 frames...what im use too!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.