This Year's Dead Island

Posted by gtar (22 posts) -

I just finished Sleeping Dogs, and had a great time with it. It was my Dead Island of 2012.

Think about it, both games came out after the mid-year drought. Both were relatively under-the-radar in terms of press coverage. Both were fairly well received as fun yet flawed open world games. And both hit the same spot for me; giving my something pulpy and loose to enjoy before the bigger releases of the year start arriving.

I hear rhetoric that "B Games" are dead, but I think that this game fits perfectly into that middle-class tier. This game is really flawed, and lacks a lot of polish but when it works it's exhilarating. And that's what I want from my B games: you don't have to deeply immerse me in a world or it's fiction. Just entertain me for 10 hours and I'll gladly recommend you to my friends.

#1 Posted by gtar (22 posts) -

I just finished Sleeping Dogs, and had a great time with it. It was my Dead Island of 2012.

Think about it, both games came out after the mid-year drought. Both were relatively under-the-radar in terms of press coverage. Both were fairly well received as fun yet flawed open world games. And both hit the same spot for me; giving my something pulpy and loose to enjoy before the bigger releases of the year start arriving.

I hear rhetoric that "B Games" are dead, but I think that this game fits perfectly into that middle-class tier. This game is really flawed, and lacks a lot of polish but when it works it's exhilarating. And that's what I want from my B games: you don't have to deeply immerse me in a world or it's fiction. Just entertain me for 10 hours and I'll gladly recommend you to my friends.

#2 Posted by DarthOrange (3867 posts) -

Just because Sleeping Dogs was a little (not really though) "under the radar" does not mean it was a B game. It was AAA all the way, same as Dead Island. They both got marketing out the wazoo and had great game play.

These are B games:

#3 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Onechanbara is a B game. Sleeping Dogs isn't.

#4 Posted by gtar (22 posts) -

Interesting that you guys don't see this as a B Game. I do, however I don't necessarily think that this is a bad thing. But I'm interested as to how you think either Dead Island or Sleeping Dogs is on the same tier as something like an Assassin's Creed, a Halo, an Arkham City, etc.?

Neither game has any of the polish in the aforementioned titles, didn't have huge marketing campaigns and are both new IP. Both are fantastic games, but I think calling them AAA is a bit rich.

#5 Edited by Freshbandito (689 posts) -

Argh! AAA is not a designation of quality! it's used to describe amount of manpower, development and marketing that goes into a game. Sleeping dogs definitely went through alot more than a B tier game.

#6 Posted by gtar (22 posts) -

@Freshbandito: Again, I'm not using AAA/B as purely a measure of the quality of this game. I think a lot of the problems in this game stem from it potentially not having the resources to give it the same level of polish as other AAA titles. But perhaps we need to get away from that nomenclature.

#7 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

Yeah, imo those games have that B movie feel, but production values and marketing suggest they're not. I mean Dead Island might be closer, but considering Sleeping Dog's development past is really isn' t.

#8 Posted by gtar (22 posts) -

@addictedtopinescent said:

Yeah, imo those games have that B movie feel, but production values and marketing suggest they're not. I mean Dead Island might be closer, but considering Sleeping Dog's development past is really isn' t.

Maybe this is more what I'm getting at? Sure in terms of hours spent on development, it's AAA. And given it's troubled past, it's amazing that the product came out as cohesive as it is.

#9 Posted by Akyho (1677 posts) -

@Freshbandito said:

Argh! AAA is not a designation of quality! it's used to describe amount of manpower, development and marketing that goes into a game. Sleeping dogs definitely went through alot more than a B tier game.

Exactly. Quoted for truth.

Sleeping Dogs was under the True Crime title for a long time. While the True Crime name dosnt send the same shock-wave as GTA. It was the best next to GTA for crime open world game. Until Saints Row took that title.

Saints Row is the same as Sleeping dogs, Sleeping dogs might even have had more money and manpower spent it.

Assassins Creed, Halo are hyped because their first game JUST THE SAME AS Sleeping dogs.

It was anew game they put alot of effort into and hyped the hell out of it. It worked.

Assassins Creed 1 and Halo 1 are just the same as Sleeping dogs is. Are you going to say that Assassins creed 1 and Halo1 are B games? Even for their time?

#10 Posted by LiquidPrince (16018 posts) -

@DarthOrange said:

Just because Sleeping Dogs was a little (not really though) "under the radar" does not mean it was a B game. It was AAA all the way, same as Dead Island. They both got marketing out the wazoo and had great game play.

These are B games:

Alice was AAA in my books.

#11 Posted by gtar (22 posts) -

Well anyway, defining what a AAA title is wasn't really what I was aiming for with this post. I really enjoyed Sleeping Dogs for what it was, and am happy to have gotten a really solid, open-world experience at this point in the year.

#12 Edited by Akyho (1677 posts) -

@LiquidPrince said:

@DarthOrange said:

These are B games:

Alice was AAA in my books.

Yeah, Putting Alice next to Earth Defense force, and not even the good version. Makes Alice look bad.

EDF Insect Armageddon was Budget title. Alice wasn't.

Infact there we go.

AAA is for Big Blockbuster title.

B is for Budget.

Sleeping Dogs is not a Budget title.

The actual term you want to use is "Sleeper Hit" or "Sleeper Title"

#13 Posted by bokchoi (30 posts) -

EDF is one of my top ten games ever.

#14 Posted by DragonNinja789 (355 posts) -

@LiquidPrince: fuck yea it was

#15 Posted by MikkaQ (10318 posts) -

I love it when people argue the meaning of completely neaningless industry terms.
Hey let's cover "The Core" next!

#16 Posted by MikkaQ (10318 posts) -

And by that I mean meaningless. Thanks, mobile site!

#17 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@gtar said:

@DarthOrange @MikeGosot

Interesting that you guys don't see this as a B Game. I do, however I don't necessarily think that this is a bad thing. But I'm interested as to how you think either Dead Island or Sleeping Dogs is on the same tier as something like an Assassin's Creed, a Halo, an Arkham City, etc.?

Neither game has any of the polish in the aforementioned titles, didn't have huge marketing campaigns and are both new IP. Both are fantastic games, but I think calling them AAA is a bit rich.

Being a new IP doesn't have nothing to do with being a B game or an AAA game. Assassin's Creed once was a new IP, you know? Also, Batman, Halo and AC received more money than Sleeping Dogs, that's why their marketing campaigns were bigger and they are more polished, but Sleeping Dogs received a lot of money in development. Money enough to call it AAA. Hell, it had a Hollywood actress in it!
#18 Edited by BisonHero (6674 posts) -

@DarthOrange said:

These are B games:

Yeah, if a game gets marketing at all, I don't really think of it as a "B game". In my books, a B game is something that gets like a teaser trailer or two, and then one actual trailer. It's an A game if it got a bunch of marketing and well edited trailers, and it's an AAA game if it had those things and turned out to actually be good.

Though to contradict myself, Driver: San Francisco had a fair number of trailers, but I feel like it still fits into that category of being a good "B game", because I get the sense that everybody pretty much ignored those trailers, and even though it reviewed well, I'm sure Driver: SF still did the sort of modest sales you would expect from a B game. In terms of racing video games series, Driver has always been a bit of a B series, relative to the Need for Speed and Burnout series.

#19 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Well i fucking hated Dead Island so I'll hate Sleeping Dogs thanks to this blog!

#20 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

But Dead Island was shitty and Sleeping Dogs is actually rather well made indeed.

#21 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

dead island is buggy, silly, a little bit ugly, and oddly interesting.

sleeping dogs is PRETTY LOOKING and has RECOGNIZED ACTORS, CINEMATIC FLAIR, and SATISFYING COMBAT

the similarities are pretty shallow imo... although they are both really fun for goofing off in

#22 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Huh, calling it "this year's Dead Island" seems pejorative to me, not praising.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.