Why Sleeping Dogs has the best voice acting in video games

Posted by WrightOnSteve (2 posts) -

Sleeping Dogs has been highly praised for its voice acting, sure it might be a little confusing on the story-line front, but I don't think I've ever played another game where the characters sound so... real.

Obviously, with any video game involving dialogue and characters, there's always going to be some form of script. What developers try to achieve however, is to make sure that the game doesn't feel scripted. Few games achieve it. With sports games like FIFA, in the past the commentators haven't even used scripts, they have just made words up along the way giving the game a more realistic and dynamic feel. With sports games, it's easier to achieve. So how have United Front Games managed to do this with Sleeping Dogs? It's difficult to explain - you need to hear it to believe it, but it sound as if UFG have just got a few voice actors, given them a script, but a script that doesn't have strict rules, rather, a script that just talks about a topic, this then gives the actors something to go on, and from there they can talk about whatever they want, how they want. It just feels a lot more natural. On one mission you have to get this girl all the necessities for her upcoming wedding, and chatting to her in the car literally sounds like you're chatting in a car for real. You wouldn't tell that they were in a recording room if you didn't know.

That's why other games need to look at Sleeping Dogs and take note. When done well, voice-acting can be a game changer.

#1 Posted by WrightOnSteve (2 posts) -

Sleeping Dogs has been highly praised for its voice acting, sure it might be a little confusing on the story-line front, but I don't think I've ever played another game where the characters sound so... real.

Obviously, with any video game involving dialogue and characters, there's always going to be some form of script. What developers try to achieve however, is to make sure that the game doesn't feel scripted. Few games achieve it. With sports games like FIFA, in the past the commentators haven't even used scripts, they have just made words up along the way giving the game a more realistic and dynamic feel. With sports games, it's easier to achieve. So how have United Front Games managed to do this with Sleeping Dogs? It's difficult to explain - you need to hear it to believe it, but it sound as if UFG have just got a few voice actors, given them a script, but a script that doesn't have strict rules, rather, a script that just talks about a topic, this then gives the actors something to go on, and from there they can talk about whatever they want, how they want. It just feels a lot more natural. On one mission you have to get this girl all the necessities for her upcoming wedding, and chatting to her in the car literally sounds like you're chatting in a car for real. You wouldn't tell that they were in a recording room if you didn't know.

That's why other games need to look at Sleeping Dogs and take note. When done well, voice-acting can be a game changer.

#2 Edited by MB (11877 posts) -

I just finished up the wedding part, and even though it was impressive, I never got the sense that much of the dialogue was improvised...just really well written.

The lead writer of Dogs, Jacob Krarup, also worked on Bully, Red Dead Redemption, and Max Payne III - all games with incredible dialogue and voice acting.

#3 Posted by AssInAss (2520 posts) -

@WrightOnSteve said:

On one mission you have to get this girl all the necessities for her upcoming wedding, and chatting to her in the car literally sounds like you're chatting in a car for real. You wouldn't tell that they were in a recording room if you didn't know.

GTA 4 in-car dialog gave me the same impression.

#4 Posted by Demoskinos (14510 posts) -

Dude flat out I think Sleeping Dogs is one of the best things this year. I had no expectations for it either the True Crime name being attached to it gave it a stigma that I couldn't shake. This is one case where a bunch of positive pre release buzz got me interested rather quickly. Im just sad I've done absolutely everything in the game. I dont see them releasing any other DLC than costume packs and shortcut packs either. A Lost and Damned style episode would be fantastic.

#5 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I started playing SD on PC last night, first impression was holy shit this game looks amazing and my computer can handle it (5850). Then I realized the cutscenes are top notch from the camera angles to voice acting and again the graphics. Then I got to the open world and it is so fun, I usually defend the driving controls in GTA IV because it is just great physics, this has none of that can drive a motorcycle around really easily while crashing into buses. Its just a really fun game and easily my no1 of this year so far.

@MB said:

I just finished up the wedding part, and even though it was impressive, I never got the sense that much of the dialogue was improvised...just really well written.

The lead writer of Dogs, Jacob Krarup, also worked on Bully, Red Dead Redemption, and Max Payne III - all games with incredible dialogue and voice acting.

This makes alot of sense, the dialogue in cut scenes has more of a movie quality to it like those games unlike something like Saints Row that's just trying to be funny all the time video game dialouge

#6 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@WrightOnSteve said:

I agree. Whoever voices Not Ping, her voice is so awesome I want to facefuck her.

But honestly, it's really good. It's probably some of the best not-mocapped and dialogue'd recording I've heard. Wei's voice actor is completely spoy-on, too.

#7 Posted by Divina_Rex (351 posts) -

I think the voice acting was good, but I believe Bioshock had the best I've heard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.