Do You Think This Game Will Sell Enough To Continue the Franchise

#1 Posted by D_Bones (361 posts) -

Hey duders just was wondering what you guys have to think about the new Sly game. Personally as a big fan I have it currently on the way to my apartment as I write this. However, do you think fans of the series will be enough to earn this game profitable numbers?? I'm asking because based on the lack of advertising by Sony, the general lack of awareness of the game in the community (many people are like what this game is out?) and the change of developer may hold this game back. My main concern is that the Sly series will be put on hold which would be a shame because it is an excellent franchise. Also the reviews for this new one are really good so I'm hoping people take notice of that as well. Anyways what do you guys think? Will this game sell? Enough to continue the franchise? Or will it be left behind like the Jak series?

#2 Posted by SlashDance (1757 posts) -

Sounds like yet another game Sony doesn't seem to give two fucks about. I guess the future depends on how much money they spent on this one. I can't imagine it had a huge budget so maybe even a modest success would be enough ?

I hope it doesn't completely bomb, I love this series.

#3 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

No

#4 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1210 posts) -

It probably won't sell a lot since the marketing was non-existing. So who knows.

#5 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4279 posts) -

There's a new Sly Cooper coming out?

... Really?

#6 Posted by mordukai (7092 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

... Really?

Sony's fine marketing team FTW.

#7 Posted by Animasta (14458 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

... Really?

it was sly cooper's most impressive demonstration of stealth yet.

#8 Posted by Ryanmgraef (190 posts) -

It's selling for forty bucks ,with both versions , so I don't think Sony has big projections. Did kinda seem sent to die:(buyin it later on though.

#9 Posted by D_Bones (361 posts) -

@Ryanmgraef: The whole forty dollar thing was fairly reasonable for once. Sony seemed to realize that yeah this game wasn't going to sell like hotcakes especially for sixty and moderated their price point. I wish some shorter games would do this also....cant come up with a good example right now. But this actually is what made me go from waiting til a price drop to a preorder (broke student) so at least they helped the game in this way...i guess.

#10 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

@JZ said:

No

I bet few people care about this game.

#11 Edited by MocBucket62 (1039 posts) -

Unfortunately no. Sony's Marketing is really questionable now a days. They seem to care more for their more serious franchises such as God of War and Uncharted instead of some of their more cartoonish yet entertaining franchises. I've been getting countless God of War Ascension ads on both my TV and youtube but nothing for Sly! Sony has been doing something similar with their recent Ratchet games, like I didn't know Full Frontal Assault was coming out until I found out on Giant Bomb's new game page a week before its release. 

Then again, there are Ratchet games coming out with little marketing so maybe Sly might have a shot (Still an extremely slim chance though).

#12 Posted by GorillaMoPena (1681 posts) -

I didn't even know it existed.

#13 Posted by Rafaelfc (1280 posts) -

I'm gonna join the chorus of "No, it won't. Sony marketing screwed yet another game" in C major.

#14 Posted by Warchief (646 posts) -

Sony marketing hates telling the public about new games. So no this will not be a success.

#15 Edited by Abendlaender (2596 posts) -

With absolutely no marketing behind it? No way

I actually had no idea this is already out

#16 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

Hell no, son.

#17 Edited by Skooky (473 posts) -

There's a Vita version so Sony is going to take the developer out back soon.

#18 Posted by project343 (2807 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

... Really?

The above is my answer to your question, OP.

This is going to sell less than 200k units, and the franchise will never be heard from again.

#19 Posted by BlastProcessing (901 posts) -

I'm certainly gonna buy it (Sly 2 being one of my absolute favorite PS2 games), but I see this game flopping hard.

#20 Posted by LackingSaint (1689 posts) -

I absolutely hope so, but seeing as it's an unpopular genre, not a particularly well-known series, released with zero fanfare on the tail-end of the console generation, i'm not seeing it happening.

#21 Posted by Zippedbinders (980 posts) -

Goddammit, all I want is the glorious return of the 3D platformer and Sony just wants to sell me Kratos again.

Fuck that noise.

#22 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2167 posts) -

Not if Sony's non existent marketing has anything to say about it.

#23 Edited by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

How much is enough? Maybe the lack of advertising money lowers that number quite a bit.

If they went crazy with ads and then it needed to clear 1.5m or something, then you would probably have a small chance of success as well.

They probably crunch numbers and look if a potential interest is there, to know whether to push it or to aim for a modest release.

#24 Posted by NapTimeSleeper (327 posts) -

Hopefully.

#25 Posted by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

Nope!

#26 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

People who actually follow video games stuff actually know this was releasing. People who don't really know shit about most video games didn't know about it. Unfortunately, if the latter doesn't know it's existence, it won't sell.

Considering its launch price, Sony don't give a fuck about it. So, why they greenlit it in the first place is a bit weird.

#27 Posted by RioStarwind (370 posts) -

Best we could hope for is a possible psn only game down the line but it's unlikely. I am just happy that we somehow got a 4th game in this series.

#28 Edited by ProfessorEss (7123 posts) -

Nnope. Too late in the cycle and from what I can tell it's been given a marketing budget of somewhere around zero dollars. 

@Klei

said:

People who actually follow video games stuff actually know this was releasing.

I question how much of this group even knows.
#29 Posted by mosespippy (3726 posts) -

I don't know why you bothered asking the question when the answer is this obvious.

#30 Posted by FLStyle (4395 posts) -

I've no idea what would be an acceptable amount of sales, can't see it making much money regardless.

Any future Sly games will be made on the back of the name rather than this game.

#31 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2047 posts) -

Well, It looks like an extremely low budget game, so...

#32 Posted by D_Bones (361 posts) -

@mosespippy: mostly to see what the level of fandom surrounding sly has become over the years. Obviously people are less interested now in general however I was wondering if there was a nostalgia component present. Many of the fans are very vocal about these PS2 era platformers such as when i saw numerous people complaining about the lack of Jak and Ratchet collections following the release of the Sly collection. It would seem however that the fanbase is vocal but not broad enough to support the sales. But thank you for productive comment nonetheless.

#33 Posted by Chaoskiller2000 (306 posts) -

No there was no marketing for the game which really sucks. I don't understand why you would spend all this money developing a game and then never market it. I like Sly and would have loved to see another real Jak and Daxter game too.

#34 Edited by M_33 (527 posts) -

I doubt it. Though speaking as a huge Sly Cooper fan, I'm genuinely surprised that this came out so I consider the 4th game existing at all to be pretty lucky.

#35 Posted by Spoonman671 (4371 posts) -

Sony isn't in the business of selling games.

#36 Posted by DougCL (204 posts) -

itll be like the 4th onimusha game. no one will remember it.

#37 Posted by BisonHero (5655 posts) -

@project343 said:

@Oldirtybearon said:

... Really?

The above is my answer to your question, OP.

This is going to sell less than 200k units, and the franchise will never be heard from again.

This. There's no way the general public (including a handful of lapsed Sly fans) has any idea this game even exists. As for the informed gamers that actually check gaming news sites, half of them don't even know this game exists because Sony did nothing to promote the game.

• No trailers made for the game except the ones shown at E3 (which were promptly lost in all the noise of other new games at E3)
  • Apparently no Sony events that really featured a playable version of the game (or at least, I didn't see even one site mentioning ever playing the game before release)
  • Apparently no Sony PR reps took a preview build of the game to show to gaming news sites (or at least, I didn't see even one site mentioning ever playing the game before release)
  • All of the above leads to places like Giant Bomb never mentioning the game on their podcasts or other opinion-related content, except right on the week the game comes out

Unless you were REALLY checking the internet out on the day all of the Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time reviews came out, it's very unlikely you know about this game. It's remarkable that Sony bothered with the project at all, because they seem to be expecting that a largely discontinued and forgotten series will just magically sell and advertise itself.

#38 Edited by Lord_Xp (599 posts) -

I believe this game will make a sequel regardless. Well I hope so with the way it ended. I won't spoil anything but I think there is a good chance there will be.

#39 Edited by thatdudeguy (86 posts) -

While I agree that the game will not sell very well, and that a sequel is unlikely, the relatively high Metacritic score and the assumed relatively low budget of the game strikes me as a bargain for Sony to pad out their downloadable offerings. If this game sells around 130k units in the opening month, provides positive press, and Sanzaru has the desire to make a sequel, I could see a Vita downloadable being greenlit over the next year. In any case, I'm enjoying a Sly game in 2013 and that was a thoroughly unexpected surprise.

#40 Posted by DarthOrange (3495 posts) -

Man this game isn't even on the front page of the PSN store, it is all the way on the last one.

@klei said:

Considering its launch price, Sony don't give a fuck about it. So, why they greenlit it in the first place is a bit weird.

I think it was greenlit to have a PS+ game to give out that most people won't have. I bet it goes free before years end.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.