Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 05, 2013

Sly, Bentley, and Murray must travel back in time to save the Cooper dynasty from being erased throughout all of history. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is the fourth title in the Sly Cooper franchise.

Just thought of something interesting...

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Lord_Xp

This game is coming out in a few days and I'm extremely excited about it's release. But I just had a thought that I haven't seen in any interview or asked by anyone else as far as I know. I've read a lot about this game since the first time I heard about it's possible release. The thought that literally just came into my mind is...Sly Cooper's Father. Will he be in this game and will I be able to play as him? If he is in this game I bet he will be one of the last characters to play as since he has such a monumental role in Sly's life (obviously). That will be an interesting story plot twist. I wonder if Sly will be tempted to want to save his father's life from the first game's prologue. Just a thought though. Maybe he won't even be mentioned at all and I'm just thinking of crazy things. Have any of you guys thought of something like this? What do you think they would or could do with his father as a character in this game?

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By awesomeusername

I doubt it. It's pretty much him meeting his ancestors, not dad. It can happen though and it would be awesome but I highly doubt it.

Also, I'm pumped for this!

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By spankingaddict

Yay for Sly Cooper avatars !

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By project343

Oh god. So many Sly Coopers!

Honestly though, what is the consensus on this game (given that it isn't being developed by Sucker Punch)? The gameplay demo that they showed off at E3 (IIRC?) looked... okay. But nothing like what I'd expect a modern Sly Cooper game to look like.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Spoonman671

@project343 said:

Oh god. So many Sly Coopers!

Honestly though, what is the consensus on this game (given that it isn't being developed by Sucker Punch)? The gameplay demo that they showed off at E3 (IIRC?) looked... okay. But nothing like what I'd expect a modern Sly Cooper game to look like.

There's a demo available on the Playstation Store, so you can try the game out for yourself.

For my part, I'm afraid that Sanzaru is sticking a little too close to the Sucker Punch Sly Cooper games. I'm actually really disturbed by the UI, as it doesn't look like it was designed for an HD game. I'm also concerned that we still haven't seen any reviews yet, since Sony is usually pretty lax when it comes to their embargo dates. It's dangerous to read too much into that, but the combination of these things, plus the $40 price and cross-buy factors leaves me worried.

Also, it comes out the same day as Dead Space 3.

EDIT:

@ShadowMoses900 said:

I'm sure his father will be in it, he is visiting all of his ancestors after all. I'm excited about this game too, but I wish Sony would market it better, so far they haven't been doing that. I haven't seen any Sly Cooper commercials.

And there's this too, but that's par-for-the-course with Sony, so it goes without saying. Nobody ever told them about this marketing thing.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ShadowMoses900

I'm sure his father will be in it, he is visiting all of his ancestors after all. I'm excited about this game too, but I wish Sony would market it better, so far they haven't been doing that. I haven't seen any Sly Cooper commercials.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Grillbar

im hopeful for this game. the first one was fantastic the other two were less so. actually the second was a bit boring. but even after that i think this could be a fairly good game. kinda wish they would make a crash bandicoot game. what ever happend to him. he was my mario

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By awesomeusername

@Spoonman671: Why would the $40 price tag worry you? It's a good thing. I wasn't going to get it because $60 was a bit to much for a Sly game for me but they knew that so they lowered the price. $40 is something a lot of people would pay for a new game out the gate and the cross-buy is great for when I need to get those pesky collectibles. It's a no-brainer for a lot people.

@project343: Do what Spoonman said. Play the demo. I actually really enjoyed it. The movement is slower in this game and Murrays Triangle+Square attack is now some other button that isn't square. Or is it triangle. I don't remember. But it's Sly Cooper, just with cartoon cutscenes which look great and new graphics which also look great.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the new demo better than the one that came with the Ratchet Collection? That one was garbage.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By awesomeusername

@Turtlebird95: The demo is the first level of the game. You don't do much, just play as all 3 guys for a couple minutes but it made me excited for the game because I love Sly.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername said:

@Turtlebird95: The demo is the first level of the game. You don't do much, just play as all 3 guys for a couple minutes but it made me excited for the game because I love Sly.

That pretty much makes it better than the one included with Ratchet. It was like 5 minutes long and all just platforming. I'm assuming the new demo has combat?
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By awesomeusername

@Turtlebird95: 5 minutes? Wow. I'm going to YouTube that demo. Yes it had combat You kill 1 guy with Sly, like 3 or 4 with Bentley and it had the hacking mini-game, and a bunch of dudes with Murray.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Raven10

That would be an interesting story twist. I have to say, though, the complete lack of marketing kind of worries me. I mean there is even less than Starhawk and Twisted Metal and those games were just dumped out there last year. Looks like all the marketing budget is going to God of War.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By project343

@Spoonman671: @awesomeusername: Just played through the demo. The whole thing felt really... safe. I was expecting them to really play at nostalgia, but I wasn't expecting something almost boringly-by-the-books.

Graphically, it looks okay (certainly not as stunning as I'd hope for), but at least the animations have a ton of TLC behind them. But I just think that there is plenty of room to improve that series. The voice acting and writing of prior entries always seemed 'good enough' to suffice the cheesy 90s cartoon show aesthetic, but it really doesn't hold up to modern standards. On the gameplay front, it feels too familiar, and problematically so. All the characters move too slow, the jumping feels several notches too floaty, and the brawling feels way too reminiscent of the mindless brawlers of that era.

I don't know. I really enjoyed those old games at the time, but I guess I was expecting more ambition behind it--which is strange to say, because nothing in the demo was outright bad (aside from maybe the before-mentioned voice acting and writing).

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By awesomeusername

@project343: I prefer safe over something new that I probably won't like. I love how Sly games play and maybe adding some new things would be good but it would have to depend on what. Can you really add anything to this game? So I'm very happy that they decided to make it play like the old ones. The only problem I have with the gameplay is that the characters are slow like you said. They ran faster in the old games so it's kind of weird that they're slower in this one. Which bothers me. I also agree that the game looks okay graphically. I was expecting it to look much better but hey. The game isn't about shooting people in the face so it won't make boats of money so I guess the budget was kind of small.

But I'm excited for it. The demo made me realize how much I really miss Sly and it's cheesiness so I'm pumped for it. But I think if you set your expectations accordingly, you'll really enjoy the game.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lord_Xp

I hope this game will give me that ps2 feel again even if It is on the ps3. I really miss the series

Th3irdEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Th3irdEye

And then at the end Sly wakes up from the animus and gets presented with a choice that will then be made for him automatically... oh wait...

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lord_Xp

Since the game has now been released please no spoilers posted in here!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By JasonR86

I'm downloading the game now. I played the demo and thought it was great. It felt like Sly 2 but with small refinements. Which is awesome because these types of platformers just aren't made that often anymore so I'll happily play a new one.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lord_Xp

@JasonR86: I was saying the exact same thing to my friend. Feels exactly like PlayStation 2 but with sharper looking graphics like a PlayStation 3. I'm quite happy they stuck to just about every detail that Sucker Punch had done in the originals.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.