Wait, since when did this game exist?

#1 Posted by BisonHero (5659 posts) -

I don't remember this being announced at all. Nor do I remember seeing anything on any gaming news site about preview coverage of the game, or any trailers, or any mention of it whatsoever. How do you release a Sly Cooper game with zero promotion anywhere, and then it's suddenly out tomorrow (February 5th)?

I'm confused.

#2 Posted by dungbootle (2454 posts) -

That sneaky raccoon.

#3 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3595 posts) -

This has been at E3 and everything for a while.

But I will say it hasn't been talked about recently. I'm really surprised it's about to be out.

#4 Posted by Raven10 (1587 posts) -

It was announced at E3 last year. There is a demo out on PSN. Other than that there has been no marketing of this game as far as I can tell. Hopefully that doesn't mean it is bad. But it definitely has gone under the radar for a lot of people. I think there were a couple videos on Gametrailers about it a couple months ago but that is pretty much all I can think of. It is a fully featured Sly Cooper game though and for only $40 and you get both the PS3 and Vita version for that price.

#5 Posted by byterunner (290 posts) -

Its also not made by sucker punch.

#6 Posted by darkvare (742 posts) -

i remember there was an trailer in the sly cooper collection right?

#7 Edited by awesomeusername (4056 posts) -

@BisonHero: Have you been under a rock?! It was teased when you beat (platinumed?) all 3 Sly games in the HD collection and then it was announced at E3 2011. There hasn't been any marketing because you know, Sony. But sites like IGN has covered it with interviews and stuff. There's also been a couple trailers and they just did an animated short like 2 weeks ago. It was 3 parts hidden around the internet. But sadly, no one has really been talking about it because everyone must hate Sly. It's retailing at $40 and the demos on PSN so if you have a PS3 or Vita, play the demo!

I would like to also say that it's pretty much the hardcore Sly fanbase that knows about this game.

Edit: Also would like to point out that it probably hasn't been marketed because Sony is most likely spending all that money on God of War and The Last of Us.

Edit 2: Also like that duder above said, it's not being made by Sucker Punch even though they're working closely with the new developer, Sanzaru Games. ALSO! The $40 price tag isn't because Sony isn't confident in their game or it'll be shit. Just a business move that makes sense because why would someone who knows nothing about Sly pay $60 for it when they could spend $40? Sony's smaller games don't sell well so it makes sense at that price.

#8 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2047 posts) -

Eh, DmC is a much bigger game and that got zero marketing, so I don't know what you expect from a budget release that looks and plays exactly like a decade old PS2 game.

#9 Posted by JackSukeru (5816 posts) -

I probably won't get this, but I thought Sly 2 was really good and what I saw of this game a few months back seemed good in a similar way. I guess I sorta hope that someone buys it, even if I won't.

#10 Posted by EuanDewar (4509 posts) -

whats sucker punch doin right now

#11 Posted by project343 (2807 posts) -

@EuanDewar: I'd imagine they're doing a PS4 launch title.

#12 Posted by Rafaelfc (1281 posts) -

@Dallas_Raines said:

Eh, DmC is a much bigger game and that got zero marketing, so I don't know what you expect from a budget release that looks and plays exactly like a decade old PS2 game.

When I went to see Resident Evil: Retribution in the theater last year, there was a DmC trailer in front of it. It was bizarre and awesome seeing a videogame trailer before a movie (albeit a videogame movie...)

#13 Posted by Inkerman (1448 posts) -
@project343 said:

@EuanDewar: I'd imagine they're doing a PS4 launch title.

Bet it's the next InFamous as a PS4 launch title, seems like a good IP to show off all the shiny new things they can do with the hardware that is also almost guaranteed to sell moderately well.
#14 Posted by YoungFrey (1319 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

Edit 2: Also like that duder above said, it's not being made by Sucker Punch even though they're working closely with the new developer, Sanzaru Games. ALSO! The $40 price tag isn't because Sony isn't confident in their game or it'll be shit. Just a business move that makes sense because why would someone who knows nothing about Sly pay $60 for it when they could spend $40? Sony's smaller games don't sell well so it makes sense at that price.

If you are right about the price tag, that is a bold concession to the death of the mid-tier game. This is exactly the kind of game that isn't likely to make huge bank at $60. Like a nearly endless string of good games in middling franchises. And this is also at the end of cycle when historically great games can sell poorly. But the $60 tag is a pretty solid thing. It might turn out to be a smart move, hopefully even a shift that might allow for more games that aren't AAA.

#15 Posted by Solh0und (1680 posts) -

@Rafaelfc said:

@Dallas_Raines said:

When I went to see Resident Evil: Retribution in the theater last year, there was a DmC trailer in front of it. It was bizarre and awesome seeing a videogame trailer before a movie (albeit a videogame movie...)

Saw a Blops 2 trailer before The Dark Knight Rises was shown.

#16 Posted by DarkShaper (1296 posts) -
@Solh0und said:

@Rafaelfc said:

@Dallas_Raines said:

Saw a Blops 2 trailer before The Dark Knight Rises was shown.

This happened way to long ago  for me to remember what movie it was, but I remember seeing a theatrical trailer for Dark void back when that was almost out.
#17 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (2591 posts) -

They somewhat eluded to it in the hd collection of the original 3. I think this game is purely a game for the fans of the trilogy its not even a reboot or retooling of the series picking up from the third game. Another thing to be wary about is the game wasn't developed by suckerpunch the original developers of the series.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.