This game pretty much IS Crimson Skies 2

#1 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3732 posts) -

Well, Crimson Skies 2 has been released, and the name of Crimson Skies 2 is "Snoopy Flying Ace." It's sad that a 10 dollar XBLA title has WAY better flight combat--and feels LOADS more like a Crimson Skies sequel--than Dark Void, which was a flight combat game made by former Crimson Skies developers.

Anyhow, I played the trial, and I'm probably going to pick it up. I'd like to try multiplayer with a friend or two first, though. To anyone that plays the trial, "enlist now" is the menu name for the single player campaign, and there are four campaign missions in the trial. Don't be fooled by the fact that you have to exit to the main menu and then reenter the campaign every time you want to continue.  

Anyone else playing this?

#2 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -

I played the single player trial mission, then preceded to get absolutely dominated in the Dogfight multiplayer mode. There seemed to be at least fifteen other fighters, and I just didn't know what to do. ;__;

I dunno, seemed alright, I might buy it for the single player, but I doubt I would really get into the multiplayer. At least right now, it seems like, well, a clusterfuck of everyone being way too close, and having way too many people shooting at you at once.

#3 Posted by MightyMayorMike (423 posts) -

I loved Crimson Skies, but I just don't think I could get into a game based on Snoopy and his buds.

#4 Posted by Constable_Wiggum (103 posts) -

I actually really liked the PS2 release of Snoopy vs The Red Baron.  I'll definitely be playing Snoopy Flying Ace this weekend.

#5 Posted by RedHatDrew (334 posts) -

Man, the quicklook makes this look sooo hardcore. And only 800 of the Microsoft Mystery Money. That's $10 for those of you playing at home.

Now I don't have to worry about researching LAN tunneling for my Crimson Skies fix.

#6 Posted by dantebk (218 posts) -

This game is badass. Don't let the presence of Peanuts characters fool you @MightyMayorMike. You can always play as your avatar if you want.

#7 Edited by Etaber (160 posts) -
@MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:

" I played the single player trial mission, then preceded to get absolutely dominated in the Dogfight multiplayer mode. There seemed to be at least fifteen other fighters, and I just didn't know what to do. ;__;  I dunno, seemed alright, I might buy it for the single player, but I doubt I would really get into the multiplayer. At least right now, it seems like, well, a clusterfuck of everyone being way too close, and having way too many people shooting at you at once. "

I just got done playing multiplayer for a couple of hours and I did find that in the first few matches I got absolutely smoked. A couple of thing I discovered that made life easier: 
  1. Try each of the weapons and find a couple that fit your style. The default machine gun is useless. You will get most of your kills with the special weapons.
  2. Train yourself to do a barrel roll :) whenever you see the icon pop up at the back of your plane. That icon means someone has locked on to you with the leech weapon and if you don't roll you're dead. Seems like the leech is the ultimate "noob killer" weapon in that new people get absolutely annihilated by it while it's a wasted shot for anyone who knows to roll out of it.

Once I figured that stuff out multiplayer became pretty straight forward.
#8 Posted by s7evn (1072 posts) -

I believe Jeff mentioned something like that in the QL. 

#9 Posted by xyzygy (9989 posts) -

Wow... a Snoopy flying game... this is weird. I was looking at the reviews for it too ad it got a 9 from IGN. I didn't know what to think, haha.

#10 Posted by EightBitShik (1334 posts) -

The game is pretty fun. I enjoy it my only complaints are that the levels are too small and with way too many people. I don't know why games think that 16 player matches should be the standard. 10 would of been better. It wouldn't be such a cluster fuck .

#11 Edited by c1337us (5751 posts) -

He likes Snoopy too.

The Snoopy thing threw me at first but it sounds like an alright game. I might pick it up sometime soon.
#12 Posted by Capum15 (4900 posts) -

I'd rather have a High Road To Revenge sequel or something along those lines. I played that game for ages.

Plus, giant metal Zeppelin that eats regular Zeppelins. No, seriously, it fucking eats regular Zeppelins. I fucking loved the Chicago level.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.