Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Social Link

Concept »

An important game mechanic in the Persona series. Social links represent the people you meet, and each are associated with a single Arcana. It is called Community in the Japanese versions.

Letting Off Steam

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

Steam sales!

No Caption Provided
    WOOP! I have to say I am contemplating Dragon Age Origins, selling for a wonderfully tempting £22. However there's something that keeps holding me back. I think it's the terrible voice acting, but it might just be the fact that it's Mass Effect with Orcs.

On that note, i'm pissed with World Of Warcraft again. I spent ages bitching about it online last night to End_boss and I kinda wish I had saved a copy of my rant because I can't really remember it at the moment. I think it was general bitching about how World Of Warcraft is no longer a game, it's a set of objectives thst are paramount to what players mistakenly believe to be a higher cause - and as a result the joy has been diluted from the experience in place of merciless efficiency and jealousy. It's a world where players would rather spend 3 hours sitting around waiting for players with the right achievements than just picking 4 random's and actually going off and having an adventure. You don't play the game because of the crafted characters or inspired level design, you barely even recognise this any more. It's all about owning loot and generally being as much of a dick as possible. Wow might not be the prettiest MMO on the market but it's actually been reduced to a series of abstract numbers by it's uncompromisingly elitist player-base. Fuck you, world of warcraft.

No Caption Provided

I am also becoming increasingly of the opinion

that it is not in fact the content of computer games that is corrupting the mind's of the world's youth, as though that were ever really the case. Perhaps we should simply be blaming the amount of time said children are allowed to spend in front of a screen instead of experiencing and learning the basic social tools from interacting with our fellow human beings. If kids are deprived of the basic trial-and-error social dynamics at an early age then it's no surprise that they fall apart later in life when thrown into a live-fire social exercise. Evidence of this can be seen every day on the internet - people who have spent more time in front of a screen with people like themselves than actually in an environment where actions carry consequence. An example can be seen in my housemate: Yesterday half the electricity in my house inexplicably cut out. My bedroom, being on the ground floor, houses the router which needed to be plugged into a different socket. I was at university, my housemate at home. Upon arriving home I discovered that not only had my housemate blindly walked into my room to fix the router but had unplugged all my shit to re-route the power. I was fairly fucking unimpressed. When I yelled at him "what the fuck are you doing, don't go in my fucking room without asking?!?" he looked at me in a confused sort of way and said "But... the internet wasn't working?" as though this were a sufficient excuse for intruding.

See what I mean? It's not because he plays too much Left 4 Dead 2 (he does), it's because he spends too much time in front of a screen in general. Detachment from reality. You probably see a similar thing from people who have lived in isolation for long periods of time. Social fucking dynamics.

Anyways, if Aion Online goes up in the steam sale I will probably pick that up. Apart from that loving Modern Warfare 2, played a bunch today with OmegaPirate and Tylea002, was badass. SCAR + Holo Sight + Stinger. WOOP WOOP :D

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Steam sales!

No Caption Provided
    WOOP! I have to say I am contemplating Dragon Age Origins, selling for a wonderfully tempting £22. However there's something that keeps holding me back. I think it's the terrible voice acting, but it might just be the fact that it's Mass Effect with Orcs.

On that note, i'm pissed with World Of Warcraft again. I spent ages bitching about it online last night to End_boss and I kinda wish I had saved a copy of my rant because I can't really remember it at the moment. I think it was general bitching about how World Of Warcraft is no longer a game, it's a set of objectives thst are paramount to what players mistakenly believe to be a higher cause - and as a result the joy has been diluted from the experience in place of merciless efficiency and jealousy. It's a world where players would rather spend 3 hours sitting around waiting for players with the right achievements than just picking 4 random's and actually going off and having an adventure. You don't play the game because of the crafted characters or inspired level design, you barely even recognise this any more. It's all about owning loot and generally being as much of a dick as possible. Wow might not be the prettiest MMO on the market but it's actually been reduced to a series of abstract numbers by it's uncompromisingly elitist player-base. Fuck you, world of warcraft.

No Caption Provided

I am also becoming increasingly of the opinion

that it is not in fact the content of computer games that is corrupting the mind's of the world's youth, as though that were ever really the case. Perhaps we should simply be blaming the amount of time said children are allowed to spend in front of a screen instead of experiencing and learning the basic social tools from interacting with our fellow human beings. If kids are deprived of the basic trial-and-error social dynamics at an early age then it's no surprise that they fall apart later in life when thrown into a live-fire social exercise. Evidence of this can be seen every day on the internet - people who have spent more time in front of a screen with people like themselves than actually in an environment where actions carry consequence. An example can be seen in my housemate: Yesterday half the electricity in my house inexplicably cut out. My bedroom, being on the ground floor, houses the router which needed to be plugged into a different socket. I was at university, my housemate at home. Upon arriving home I discovered that not only had my housemate blindly walked into my room to fix the router but had unplugged all my shit to re-route the power. I was fairly fucking unimpressed. When I yelled at him "what the fuck are you doing, don't go in my fucking room without asking?!?" he looked at me in a confused sort of way and said "But... the internet wasn't working?" as though this were a sufficient excuse for intruding.

See what I mean? It's not because he plays too much Left 4 Dead 2 (he does), it's because he spends too much time in front of a screen in general. Detachment from reality. You probably see a similar thing from people who have lived in isolation for long periods of time. Social fucking dynamics.

Anyways, if Aion Online goes up in the steam sale I will probably pick that up. Apart from that loving Modern Warfare 2, played a bunch today with OmegaPirate and Tylea002, was badass. SCAR + Holo Sight + Stinger. WOOP WOOP :D

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I highly recommend you not picking up Aion, it's another bland Korean grinder with pretty characters and boring quests.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By End_Boss

If you want the rant, my IMs save automatically. I'll send it to you in a word file or something. Good blog, duder.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By EpicSteve

I just got back into WoW. Destruction Warlock.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Willy105

That Steam sale.

Good grief. $400 worth of games for $50.....

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By gearhead

Dude you blog background is seriously giving me seizures.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

I didn't have the internet or video games as a child, but I did have television. Hours upon hours of my life were consumed in front of the television and then video games came and made it harder to get up and walk away from the screen. Maybe it's the screen, oh look, bright lights type of thing.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

The sole reason I quit WoW:  it was no longer a game, but rather a job.  I wasn't having fun anymore, but instead, I was worrying about it.  You should definitely take a break from it, sir.  It would do you some good. 

Also, if you played L4D2 on 360...and were good on 360, I would love to take on your 4-man team of choice with my 4-man team.  We need real L4D2 action.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By DrRandle
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " I highly recommend you not picking up Aion, it's another bland Korean grinder with pretty characters and boring quests. "
    Agreed. Also: try zombie killing. It's quite therapeutic, and there are a number of outlets. Left 4 Dead 2 is recent, but Plants vs. Zombies is also quite good.
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10  Edited By Lies

To be fair.

THE INTERNET WAS OUT

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Oni

Uhh Dragon Age has terrific voice acting? Don't know where you got the idea that it's bad... also it's nothing like mass effect at all, and is in fact really excellent. I recommend it wholeheartedly, especially at this price. I'd seriously  buy it, pc version is the best too.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By PureRok

Mass Effect is just Neverwinter Nights but in space.

See how you can do that with every Bioware game?

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Rowr

Buy dragon age. Cmon, your not going to regret it, i know it appears awfully generic, but it's so good.

22 fucking bucks. You wanted your pc game, there it is.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#14  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Fantastic blog yet again, Sweep, and I agree with you 100% on the social dynamics of individuals who sit too much in front of a TV or PC.  I can safely say I'm probably (oh, all right, definitely) one of those people, but it's kind of interesting to see it in others from time to time.
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By ThomasP

If I was your roommate and the internet turned off and could only be turned back on from your room, I'd do that, especially if I was splitting the cost. Yeah, he probably shouldn't have unplugged things, but if he's chipping, it's really not a question of intrusion... it's his right in my opinion. I assume you split the cost of internet with your roommates?

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

terrible voice acting

Mass Effect with Orcs. 

Are you on crack?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.