Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Zipper Interactive returns to the SOCOM series with a new installment on PlayStation 3 that features squad-based gameplay, 32 player online modes, and PlayStation Move support.

SOCOM 4 Pushed Back To 2011

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

At GDC 2010, I was surprised to learn that SOCOM 4 was a Fall 2010-bound title. Not because it looked bad--it didn't at all. But because of the PlayStation Move motion integration, which was just added in. It's gotta be hard to make sure your game will work for both control styles within a matter of months, right? But regardless of whether I was right or wrong on that (and let's face it, a billion things need tweaked during development), SOCOM 4 has become a 2011 title.

Zipper confirmed this news on its official blog, stating that it didn't "want to take any shortcuts," therefore the game has been pushed back from 2010. No specifics were given, so keep that in mind in light of my PS Move spiel. Also, no release-month window was thrown out there, although I'm sure it'll hit in Q1 with every other game on the planet. 

GO GO GO! THEY AIN'T PAYING US BY THE HOUR.

SOCOM 4 will follow 2008's SOCOM: Confrontation, a Slant Six Games joint that suffered from an atrocious launch riddled with bugs, balance issues, and worst of all, server woes that made the game unplayable. I suppose that Zipper could be erring on the side of caution to make sure this level of mess doesn't happen again, as I can't imagine console SOCOM fans are going to stick around after another bad launch.  
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

At GDC 2010, I was surprised to learn that SOCOM 4 was a Fall 2010-bound title. Not because it looked bad--it didn't at all. But because of the PlayStation Move motion integration, which was just added in. It's gotta be hard to make sure your game will work for both control styles within a matter of months, right? But regardless of whether I was right or wrong on that (and let's face it, a billion things need tweaked during development), SOCOM 4 has become a 2011 title.

Zipper confirmed this news on its official blog, stating that it didn't "want to take any shortcuts," therefore the game has been pushed back from 2010. No specifics were given, so keep that in mind in light of my PS Move spiel. Also, no release-month window was thrown out there, although I'm sure it'll hit in Q1 with every other game on the planet. 

SOCOM 4 will follow 2008's SOCOM: Confrontation, a Slant Six Games joint that suffered from an atrocious launch riddled with bugs, balance issues, and worst of all, server woes that made the game unplayable. I suppose that Zipper could be erring on the side of caution to make sure this level of mess doesn't happen again, as I can't imagine console SOCOM fans are going to stick around after another bad launch.  
    Rabid619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Rabid619

Hope Zipper can bring SOCOM back to it's rightful place. A bit of extra polish won't hurt, especially after the mess that was the Confrontation launch.

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By baconbits33
    @Simmse said:
    " WHAT HAVE THE POLISH EVER DONE TO YOU "
    Wtf?
    hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By hockeymask27

Desert Glory for ever!

sizu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By sizu

I am actually wondering what I want to buy for my PS3 this year now? 

Socom was one of the few exclusives that I had tagged to buy this year.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Evilsbane

Thats cool, still Socom never really did it for me and this doesn't look like its changing...anything.

TOYBOXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By TOYBOXX

Confrontation, in my opinion, wasn't a bad game. In fact I'll take it a step further by saying that Socom Confrontation was the best Socom game - EVER! Sure it had one of the worst launches in video game history, but despite those mistakes, it took the franchise to another level in terms of character customizations, and map design. Zipper Inc., on the other hand, is forever remembered with the dreaded, and eternally buggy, Socom 3 and Socom: Combined Assault. I hope they've learned their lesson(s) with the development of MAG (with what to do and what not to do server side) so that Socom 4 can be the better game. This extra time, however, is for the best.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Nadafinga

This delay really shouldn't surprise anyone. If they're smart, they'll keep it out of the crowded Q1, and release it spring/summer 2011.

Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Bigrhyno

This means my main reason for getting move around launch is no longer coming out around launch. Now I have to decide if it's worth it just to play Tiger Woods =/.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Branthog

I've always wanted to get into SOCOM, but it seems like the type of game that you can only compete in if you have a solid real life group of people who are seriously into it -- and finding enough people in real life who are into the same game (or even the same genre and console) can be a bit difficult. 

It also seems a bit like a game you have to dedicate yourself to and keep in your "I only play three games religiously" rotation.

Kingloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Kingloo

At least MAG might continue some support until SOCOM 4 is out. That SOCOM was announced soon after MAG came out only meant bad news as far as long term support for MAG, whatever Zipper claims otherwise.

Sunspots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Sunspots

I'm a new addition to the MAG online universe and my hope is that after SOCOM is released that Zipper still continues to support MAG. Nothing against SOCOM, I just dig MAG.

liugeaux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By liugeaux

boo

king2bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By king2bob

God i can't remember the last time i played a SOCOM game.

diggylee1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By diggylee1

This is sure some sad news because I wanted enjoy this game this year. Oh well this is a new trend in video games so i'm over it. I suspect CoD: Black Ops and MoH releasing have something to do with this. I guess it could also be the Move support thing?
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @BradNicholson: you'd all be surprised at how much amazing support and loyalty still exists on Confrontation though. its still a great game despite the awful launch.  

This new game is looking fcuking fantastic though, and i think the reason behind the delay is basically more and more polish. its going to be a great fuckin title, and will probably TAKE OVER PSN. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.