Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

Zipper Interactive returns to the SOCOM series with a new installment on PlayStation 3 that features squad-based gameplay, 32 player online modes, and PlayStation Move support.

SOCOM 4 Shipping With "Pro" Voucher (See: EA Online Pass)

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson
    Zipper Interactive is dropping its own Project Ten Dollar-like hook into brand new copies of SOCOM 4. As announced on the official PS blog this morning, each new copy of the shooter is shipping with a one-time redeemable voucher that grants owners “SOCOM Pro” status. With it, users will receive “exclusive” access to Pro custom ranked queues that’ll be updated “regularly over the entire lifespan of SOCOM 4” and two guns: the ever-popular AK-47 and the M-16 for insurgents and spec ops respectively. 

More content exclusively for Pro users is in the pipeline. In the post, Zipper confirms that “exclusive” multiplayer maps, “various” co-op add-ons, and dedicated leaderboards will be part of the deal, too.  

No Caption Provided

The Pro pass is, in some respects, similar to Electronic Arts' vouchers. Using Mass Effect 2's Cerberus Network, the pass granted users access to some free DLC and other content. In Battlefield: Bad Company 2, the pass gave players "VIP" access, which translated to exclusive maps and guns. Zipper appears to be taking a similar route: no matter what, owners can play multiplayer, but without a pass, users won’t be privy to some game types, weapons and other features (i.e. "pro" custom game queues).

Of course, if you find yourself without a pass after the game releases (i.e. you picked up a used copy of the game), you’ll be able to buy one from PSN starting on April 26. The price? $14.99.     

SOCOM 4 launches this week for PlayStation 3.
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson
    Zipper Interactive is dropping its own Project Ten Dollar-like hook into brand new copies of SOCOM 4. As announced on the official PS blog this morning, each new copy of the shooter is shipping with a one-time redeemable voucher that grants owners “SOCOM Pro” status. With it, users will receive “exclusive” access to Pro custom ranked queues that’ll be updated “regularly over the entire lifespan of SOCOM 4” and two guns: the ever-popular AK-47 and the M-16 for insurgents and spec ops respectively. 

More content exclusively for Pro users is in the pipeline. In the post, Zipper confirms that “exclusive” multiplayer maps, “various” co-op add-ons, and dedicated leaderboards will be part of the deal, too.  

No Caption Provided

The Pro pass is, in some respects, similar to Electronic Arts' vouchers. Using Mass Effect 2's Cerberus Network, the pass granted users access to some free DLC and other content. In Battlefield: Bad Company 2, the pass gave players "VIP" access, which translated to exclusive maps and guns. Zipper appears to be taking a similar route: no matter what, owners can play multiplayer, but without a pass, users won’t be privy to some game types, weapons and other features (i.e. "pro" custom game queues).

Of course, if you find yourself without a pass after the game releases (i.e. you picked up a used copy of the game), you’ll be able to buy one from PSN starting on April 26. The price? $14.99.     

SOCOM 4 launches this week for PlayStation 3.
    soliddragon24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By soliddragon24

boom

LIquid1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By LIquid1024

Cool.

AxleBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AxleBro

I'm 100% for this, i think its a great idea. fuck the consumer, its all about money...

/sarcasm

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Example1013

I found the lack of AK-47/M16 disturbing.

Seriously, the M16 is historically one of the best guns in the game.
    IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By IamTerics

Read this on Destructoid a few minutes ago. I so appreciate the non-slanted news reporting compared to Jim Sterlings heavily opinionated attitude.

Avatar image for thecrazedmadman
    TheCrazedMadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By TheCrazedMadman

Take that gamestop! Seems like the battle between used games and devs rages on

AxleBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AxleBro
    @Mikkorama:  your blog is irrelevant to this post. this is technically just spam. thanks!
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Example1013
    @Mikkorama said:

" I don't wan't to plug my blog, especially since its not even on GiantBomb, but i feel like it's relevant and possibly a good read for some people...

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Mikkorama/warning-faux-region-lock-198427.phtml

"
    Yeah, I'm sure you feel really awful about trying to get hits on your blog. I'm not going to call it shitty, either, but seriously. Could you come up with a less likely situation to post about? And there's a workaround regardless, because you could just fucking buy the game used, and drop the $10 or $15 on the American Online Pass.

EDIT: And I'm sure if you bitch to EA enough, they'll be willing to give you an American Online Pass code. It's not like they're hard to come by, and you gave them what they wanted already (i.e. your money).
    Mikkorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mikkorama
    @Axleisbored: I'll get rid of it then. my bad.
    Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hot_Karl

Yikes, $15? Steep.

Eh, whatever. Socom 4's kinda boned. This is one of the only times where a huge system exclusive is going to get overshadowed by two, much bigger multiplatform releases. Specifically, the PS3 versions of Portal 2 & Mortal Kombat are going to sell way more thanks to the exclusives.
    SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SpicyRichter

If these kinds of vouchers replace preorder bonuses, I will be very happy

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By yoshimitz707
    @Axleisbored
    I'm 100% for this, i think its a great idea. fuck the consumer, its all about money...

/sarcasm
    This only affects people who buy games used. When someone does that the publisher and developer get none of that money. So yes, fuck the used consumer for not supporting the people who make the games possible.
    Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Solh0und

Ugh. I understand what game companies are trying to do but I thought the PSP one was unnecessary. Regardless of the piracy and used sales issues. 

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By OneManX
    @VinceNotVance said:
    " Yikes, $15? Steep.

Eh, whatever. Socom 4's kinda boned. This is one of the only times where a huge system exclusive is going to get overshadowed by two, much bigger multiplatform releases. Specifically, the PS3 versions of Portal 2 & Mortal Kombat are going to sell way more thanks to the exclusives.
    "
    I'm not too sure about that one. SOCOM is a well know exclusive for the Playstation, and Portal might hit the hardest on the PC, where most people would of already purchased it through steam or it's lower price on Amazon/Best But etc. MK, is he big gun for tomorrow (shit I have it pre-ordered). but I wouldnt be shocked if SOCOM 4 does good-great numbers
    Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Cybexx

I think the last couple Socom PSP games did this.

The_Painted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By The_Painted

Misleading title is misleading.

dodgyblaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dodgyblaster

This type of action will now haunt us all; for the rest of our days. Preying on the less fortunate even more so.

ThaMilkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By ThaMilkMan

I honestly have no problem with "project 10 dollar" as long as the consumer is informed. As long as they know going in that if they buy it preordered and want this pro-access they need to pay 15 dollars then they should temper themselves. If they don't...it's rough but it is also a part of the consumer's job to be knowledgeable on what they spend money on to some degree. So I honestly see nothing wrong with this tactic. Just needs fair implementation.

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BigLemon
    @IamTerics said:
    " Read this on Destructoid a few minutes ago. I so appreciate the non-slanted news reporting compared to Jim Sterlings heavily opinionated attitude. "
    Brad is a great writer in that respect. Always enjoy his informative articles.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Enigma777

Not surprised since Socom Fireteam Bravo 3 had a similar thing last year.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By ProfessorEss

Kind of a bold move for a game currently rockin' a 66 on Metacritic isn't it?

Considering the press this game has gotten you'd think they'd be trying to come up with ideas to get more people to buy it - not more reasons to not buy it.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Sooty

This game isn't supposed to be very good so not only will I not be buying it nor will I be purchasing your ridiculous "Pro" bullshit, Zipper.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jackel2072
    @BigLemon said:
    " @IamTerics said:
    " Read this on Destructoid a few minutes ago. I so appreciate the non-slanted news reporting compared to Jim Sterlings heavily opinionated attitude. "
    Brad is a great writer in that respect. Always enjoy his informative articles. "
    i had to stop reading destructoid because of Jim Sterling. yes sometimes he was quite funny.  but most times he way over did it.  That and most of the writers i cared about left. 
    tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By tourgen
    @yoshimitz707 said:
    " @Axleisbored

/sarcasm
    This only affects people who buy games used. When someone does that the publisher and developer get none of that money. So yes, fuck the used consumer for not supporting the people who make the games possible. "
    go audit an economics class before you sound of on something you clearly know very little about.

The used market props up the $60 price point.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
    @SpicyRichter said:
    "If these kinds of vouchers replace preorder bonuses, I will be very happy "

Couldn't agree more.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheHumanDove

Getting so sick of exclusive bonus preorder addon lasjdhaksgydg

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By yakov456

With the mediocre reception S4 is getting, it does not need more press like this, yikes.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DonPixel

laaaameee

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Devil240Z
    @DonPixel said:
    " laaaameee "
    @yakov456 said:
    " With the mediocre reception S4 is getting, it does not need more press like this, yikes. "
    @TheHumanDove said:
    " Getting so sick of exclusive bonus preorder addon lasjdhaksgydg "
    Everyone is doing it. At least ZIpper seem to be serious about supporting it in a meaningful way. and The online is still playable without it. It is just and added bonus for hardcore fans. 
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DonPixel
    @Devil240Z:  Im not against online pass in a hardcore way.. but for a mediocre title like socom 4 feels lame and unessesary.. 

but yea I don´t support used market I usually bought my games new or in steam anyway
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Devil240Z
    @DonPixel: I don't think the people who are going to play Socom 4 think its mediocre. Socom 4 is pretty great. but I played every day of the beta and have been playing the retail version for the last couple hours. 

Alot of people just don't get what makes socom great. 
    devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By devilzrule27

I buy new games so this shit doesn't bother me. I see where developers are coming from when they do this kind of thing but it does suck for those people that can't always afford new games and rely on the used game market to get their "fix".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.