Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs - Confrontation

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Confrontation, the first SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs game for the PlayStation 3 delivers 32-player online multiplayer across 7 maps and 7 modes with robust community and clan support.

Might Get a PS3, This Game is on my wishlist, Should it be?

BrainKrieg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BrainKrieg

I have heard a  lot of negative things about this game.  Some are saying it doesnt run properly and is thus really laggy.  I am really interested in this kind of game, i just want to know how the controls feel, and if any of the patches have fixed the game.  And, I would like to hear any complaints people have, I want to know what I am getting myself into.  Remember, I dont have a PS3, so this game may be my system seller, I will be dropping more than 60 bucks, so be honest.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TwoOneFive

dude, buy it. first off its a great first buy for any ps3 as it comes with an excellent Official PS3 bluetooth headset. 

As for the game, it is HIGHLY underrated. The thing is, this game launched with many technical issues, almost all of which have been patched and the game works without a hitch now. patch 1.3 will be out very soon (before the years end) and will fix all remaining issues and add a host of features including a medal system and trophies. 

The game now runs smooth and almost no lag, but the next patch should totally clear it up completely, as it is now though, its not a problem at all. 
    The controls feel different at first, but after a few matches you'll find them very good. 
    The graphics aren't the best but I guarantee you won't complain, because its full of details and the maps are very very well made. The map designs here are definitely ahead of games like COD4. 
    The gameplay is definitely the best since Socom 2. This is the best Socom made imo. its a shame it launched and it took a few weeks for it to get fixed because i bet the reviews would have been good. Go to 1up.com and read their re-review, they reviewed it once it was patched, but even then that patch wasn't the best one, yet he gave the game a B+ i believe. Thats excellent for an online only game man. 
    Anyways, the online community is unmatched, everyone playing is cool and wants to work together and have a good time. And whats even better is EVERYONE is using mics. This game single handedly does away with the myth that PS3 users never talk online. Its just they don't care to in games like COD4, where its all solo and the only reason to talk is to talk shit. Well in Socom everyone wants to communicate and work together, and if there is really someone annoying, you can vote to kick him out, but it never happens anyways. Also, the way the voice chat works is awesome. When you talk, other players can only hear you if you are nearby and they will hear your voice come out of their tv and it will sound like it coming from the guy you are controlling (its really neat actually), if you have surround sound this makes it easy to eaves drop on enemies too. If you are too far away to hear eachother, thats when you can use the radio, you hold down L2 and speak. I think its one of the best ways of taking advantage of a headset, makes it much more immersive. 
    The game also has overall excellent sound quality, and its very situational. If you are in a tunnel and shoot guns or talk it will sound like a tunnel, and the same goes with outside on a mountain, it sounds the way it would in real life. very nice actually. 
    The game right now contains like 7 maps, most of which can be changed depending how big you want it. 
    More will definitely be added very soon. 
    They have lots of variety too. Theres this ancient greece looking map. One in a totally bombed out city, its massive, with a big hotel, stadium, etc etc. Like i said before these maps are very good, you will be impressed despite the graphics not being super photo-realistic like cod4 was. 
    Hmmm. I don't know I could go on and on. I came on here to put up a thread because i just got done playing it for a few hours and i wanted to say, damn i can't believe how underrated this game is because it launched with some technical issues. I mean, i have totally given up on Gears 2 online because it takes fucking forever. And other games like halo 3 launched with server issues, so did warhawk, and so many others. 

I think its cool that you want a PS3 though, I hope you don't just buy it for this one game though, don't forget about other great hits like LittleBigPlanet, Resistance 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted, WipEout HD, Warhawk, Valkyria Chronicles etc etc etc etc. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.