Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Solar 2

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jun 17, 2011

Solar 2 is a space sandbox game. Players begin as a lowly asteroid in an infinite universe, eventually growing into planets, stars, and solar systems by consuming other planetary bodies.

Has anyone picked this up yet?

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By emem

I saw this game/simulation thingy on Steam yesterday and thought it looked pretty nice.. is it worth getting?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

play the demo.

capt_ventris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By capt_ventris

For 8.99 give it a go. Looks kind of cool

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By emem
    @Marz: Oh, didn't even realise there's a demo. 

@Capt_Ventris: Well, for 8.99 you can get really great games on steam, gonna try the demo first. ;)
    Theavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Theavy

I bought it today, played through it twice in 1 hour and 25 mins. Its pretty fun but I wanted more from the game, I'd be cool if they updated it or made it modible

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By DeeGee

I want it, but even though it's only £6, it doesn't look worth that. I got Saints Row 2 for £5, so I have high standards for low priced games, I guess.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Subjugation

I got it and went through a complete game in about 2 hours. It's kind of neat I guess. There is certainly room for improvement though, possibly adding more missions or features would be a good start. The gravity can be kind of fickle at times too when you are trying to get things to orbit.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By avidwriter

Really 2 hours? Whats a complete game though? The QL made it seem like it was maybe endless?

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By SSully

Sounds like this is more worth 10 bucks. I got the misadventures of PB Winterbottom for 5 bucks and beat it in about 2 hours. I think this game sounds like it should be in a similar price range.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

After watching the QL, I just want to make big ass solar systems and wreck shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avidwriter said:

Really 2 hours? Whats a complete game though? The QL made it seem like it was maybe endless?

Nah, it's not endless. After you gain a certain amount of mass you become a black hole, at which point the lone thing you have to do is devour the entirety of the universe you're in, effectively creating a "Big Crunch"/"Big Bang" scenario.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By umdesch4

Funny thing is, my first playthrough last night, I just wanted to see what the black hole was like, so I just pushed hard to get there, and I think I hit the "big crunch" in under 1/2 hour. I gotta play it again and try to build systems. I was having a bit of fun as a planet with a force that started kicking some ass once I got up around 100 kills. I tried a couple missions, and they seem pretty interesting. Enough to make this game worth playing at least a handful of times.

I think I saw some binary star systems when I was flying around. How do you accomplish that? It doesn't seem like you can attract other stars when you're a star, but maybe I just wasn't flying at them right. Or do you have to build up one of the planets in your orbit until it becomes a star?

As simple as this game is, I think I need to go look for a FAQ or strategy guide! :P

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By umdesch4

Played it some more just now, and managed to get a system with a large star, three mid-sized stars, and 10 planets, 6 of which had life. I just kept getting my planets to absorb more mass, and 3 of them turned into stars in quick succession. Then it seems that the smallest star in the group gets the mass added to it when you absorb a planet, so I just kept doing that for a while. Pretty neat floating around with a quad-star system...at least until you reach a certain threshold and black holes start showing up, and you promptly get sucked into one. :P

Althox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Althox

Am in love with it. It can be hard and a bit tricky some times, which just adds to the experience. Definitely a game worth playing casually.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@umdesch4: I was wondering if Black Holes ever appeared on their own. Only time I've seen them is when I've been a Black Hole myself.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By umdesch4

@Sir_Ragnarok: Yup, I got eaten by one in my quad-system configuration. At first, I was oddly getting pulled off course, and I started seeing other systems sweeping across my screen in arcs. One fatal change in direction later, wham! Straight into a black hole. I guess I was messing around too long, and a black hole spontaneously evolved or something.

Shmio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Shmio

@Althox: Couldn't agree more. When you want to just lounge back in your chair and throw on some tunes and kick it with the arrow keys...this is your game.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By WickedCestus

Game's sick as hell.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.