Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SolForge

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Apr 04, 2013

SolForge is a Kickstarter-funded Digital Collectible Game from Stone Blade Entertainment, the designers of Ascension, and Richard Garfield, the creator of Magic: the Gathering.

If anybody still plays this, how is it?

Vessel28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm curious about this game after hearing Drew mention it. Would love to hear people's opinions on the game as I'm thinking about trying other online card games other than Hearthstone.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

It's a simpler version of Magic the Gathering, that's basically it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BisonHero

Yeah, it's definitely a halfway point between Magic the Gathering, and something that's overly simple like Hearthstone. Give it a shot! It's still quite easy to learn, and I think figuring out fun decks to make is way more fun and flexible, compared to something like Hearthstone where Blizzard only had so many mechanics to split up into 9 classes so each class doesn't have all that many options (except Warlock, which has all the options as long as you like to draw cards).

For what it's worth, the "daily" stuff you get can also be earned by just playing against the CPU, which is what I recommend doing early on when you're still learning the game, and still growing your card collection. Plus the CPU matches obviously are quicker to play if you're in a hurry, whereas matches against humans tend to take longer.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JJOR64

Out of all the Free to Play Digital Card games, this one is my favorite. I played a crap load of it earlier this year. It is definitely worth trying.

Only game that has a iPhone version which is fantastic.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I love it. It's one of my favorite games. It just fits in my life so well and is fun to boot. Also the F2P rewards are extremely generous. That said, the lack of trading can make it prohibitively difficult to build a tier-1 competitive deck. I have a massive collection and consistently did around 75% win-rate in constructed queues (which is somewhere around the top-20 players) until the most recent update that introduced two huge meta-shifting Legendary cards. I haven't opened any so I've gone back to playing Draft in the interim because I don't want to have to drop $30 just to get a playset of one of those Legendaries.

At the end of the day it's free so there's no real cost to trying it out. If you have any other questions you can feel free to hit me up.

Vessel28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Alright, thanks everyone. I will probably try this later on in the week as an alternative to playing Hearthstone. Guess I'll also take @bisonhero's advice and play against the CPUs at first as being able to do your dailies that way sounds great.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vessel28 said:

Alright, thanks everyone. I will probably try this later on in the week as an alternative to playing Hearthstone. Guess I'll also take @bisonhero's advice and play against the CPUs at first as being able to do your dailies that way sounds great.

Sorry didn't see this earlier, but one of your daily rewards is for first online game win so you can't do them all against CPU.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@starvinggamer: Yeah, but fuck that. I ain't got time to play games against real people that take 20+ minutes because no one takes their turn immediately because every fuck playing SolForge is playing 3 games at once or something.

Also, that's a fool's errand for a new player. Even low-rank players in SolForge will have much better decks than the starter decks.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer

@bisonhero: You could make a buddy and just concede the game to each other, or even an alt account on a separate device. The free ticket is worth it IMO.

EDIT: Also this just in: Legendary Chest for first 10 wins and first 10 online wins, seems like a per account sorta thing, also apparently there are more, maybe first 100 wins?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.