Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Solid Snake

Character » appears in 46 games

Solid Snake is the main protagonist in a number of the Metal Gear games. An expert in infiltration and espionage, Snake has completed countless missions and is repeatedly tasked with disarming the latest incarnation of Metal Gear. He is voiced by David Hayter in the English versions, Akio Ohtsuka in Japanese.

Solid, Liquid, and Big Boss

Pierce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Pierce

So Solid Snake and Liquid Snake were genetic clones of Big Boss.  Solid got the recessive genes, and Liquid got the dominant genes.  Taking from the story from MGS1, the experiment was to figure out whether nature was stronger than nurture - whether Liquid was stronger than Solid due to his dominant genes, or if Solid was stronger than Liquid based on ability and skill learned in life.

What of Big Boss's recessive genes?  What if they were stronger than the dominant genes?  Did anyone else notice how uncanny a resemblance that Solid had to the young Naked Snake?

Or are we only looking at the soldier genes of Big Boss...?

DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By DaveF

Other way round. Solid got the dominant but inferior genes, and Liquid got the recessive but superior genes. I can't answer your questions though, I'm not clever enough!

Gupta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Gupta

m pretty sure Solid got the dominant genes, and Liquid the recessive ones, and Liquid thought he was inferior in turn but actually he was superior.

The Genome soldier project or les infant terribles or whatever, was made to create the perfect soldier, and they used Big Boss' DNA to create 2 twins (Solid and Liquid) one with dominant genes and the other with recessive ones. Neither was perfect however a balance was achieved later and they created Solidus Snake who is superioir to both. Im not sure how and why btu I think its roughly something like that.

Im not sure if the project was to test nature vs nurture, I think it was to just genetically create the perfect soldier

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By suneku
    Gupta said:
    "m pretty sure Solid got the dominant genes, and Liquid the recessive ones, and Liquid thought he was inferior in turn but actually he was superior.

The Genome soldier project or les infant terribles or whatever, was made to create the perfect soldier, and they used Big Boss' DNA to create 2 twins (Solid and Liquid) one with dominant genes and the other with recessive ones. Neither was perfect however a balance was achieved later and they created Solidus Snake who is superioir to both. Im not sure how and why btu I think its roughly something like that.

Im not sure if the project was to test nature vs nurture, I think it was to just genetically create the perfect soldier
    "
    That's pretty much how I thought it went down
    Pierce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pierce

I got this from http://faqs.ign.com/articles/506/506035p1.html:

faqs.ign.com said:

Yes. The inferior one was the winner after all. ...That's right.
    Until the very end, Liquid thought he was the inferior one. Yes,
    sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual...
    such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that
    you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the
    woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance

From this I take it that Solid was the inferior one.  Where do we find that Solid had the dominant genes and Liquid the recessive?

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By Termite
    Gupta said:
    "m pretty sure Solid got the dominant genes, and Liquid the recessive ones, and Liquid thought he was inferior in turn but actually he was superior.

"
    Actually I think it a lot about nature vs nurture, because liquid talks about how he was neglected in Metal Gear Solid 1. Snake was treated better than Liquid was, giving him a chip on his shoulder about it
    JuMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By JuMP
    Gupta said:

"
      Since they were trying to create the perfect soldier, would the Genome Army project have turned out a bunch of Solidus act-alikes, since he was supposed to be the well-balanced version?
    Tolkienfanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Tolkienfanatic

I'm pretty sure Liquid got the dominant genes, but all along he thought he had the recessive ones.  Hence his intense dislike of Solid, who he presumed had all the dominants.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By kush

Liquid got the dominant genes. He was just under the impression that he had the inferior ones. It was all explained at the end of MGS.

Pierce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pierce

Okay, so we all know then that Solid got the inferior genes and Liquid got the superior.  Is it explained whether the inferior genes were dominant or recessive?

My point to all this was that Solid and Naked Snake both look almost identical.  If Solid got the inferior genes, that tells me that Naked had the inferior genes active (for the genes dictating their appearance were basically the same ones).  That is unless we're only (and Ocelot and Solidus were only) talking about the soldier genes.

If the inferior genes were active, does that make them the dominant genes?

I dunno, kinda a detail-scrutiny topic, but I always wondered, since they both looked alike, they both must've had the same gene makeup - dominant/recessive & inferior/superior.

I think it's pretty clear that nurture > nature.

DaveF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By DaveF
    Pierce said:
    "Okay, so we all know then that Solid got the inferior genes and Liquid got the superior.  Is it explained whether the inferior genes were dominant or recessive?
    "
    The inferior genes were dominant - Solid Snake got those ones
    The_Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By The_Icon

The topic creator is right, Solid got the recessive genes. I guess nurture > nature.

MikeSTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MikeSTER

There's a difference between recessive and inferior. Inferior implying that they are of a lower degree. Having recessive genes does not necessarily mean that someone is weaker, they just have different genotypes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.