Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Soma Bringer

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Feb 28, 2008

A Diablo style RPG developed by Monolith Soft featuring co-op play for up to 3 players.

SomaBringer - more Japan RPG love for only $20 on import :-)

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool
    Hot on the heels of a Sigma Harmonics going out cheap, comes another brilliant Japanese only RPG, for the DS, at a cheap price.

Yet again, I implore you to join the party and try something a little different.  I know the language barrier is an issue, but based on my experience with A.S.H. & Tales of Hearts, you will manage quite nicely and have a good time doing it.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    “Under the warmth of the enormous ring that embraces the planet, enveloped within the atmosphere charged with Soma, people slumber, awaken, and live”

This is a world where an energy called Soma dominates.

Lately, the balance of Soma tipped, and a mysterious life form, called “visitors” appeared and people started to live in fear. To defeat these visitors, the people established a military group called the Falsif. During an investigation in the Junel forrest, a member of the seventh troop met a girl who has lost all her memories, and thus...
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    • Button controls are simple and the game itself is colorfully rendered. It is an action RPG where consecutive attacks are possible.
    • When playing alone, you will adventure with computer controlled comrades.
    • When playing with two other friends, activate DS's communication software to join forces.
    • There are seven characters to select from, and each of them have their own customizable ability. Form a team of three and proceed with the adventure.

Importing is sweet and we know how better we are than other gamers when we do it  :-)  [joke]

Who's with me on this one?
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

Why the hell didnt Nintendo put this in with their conference? This would have been a great addition next to Golden Sun...

I'll hold out a bit longer for it, but if nintendo announces a new handheld im jumping on this.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool
    @AgentJ said:
    " Why the hell didnt Nintendo put this in with their conference? This would have been a great addition next to Golden Sun...
    I'll hold out a bit longer for it, but if nintendo announces a new handheld im jumping on this."
    I agree - it is a perfect fit for the wetern DS library.  The whole Japn RPG genre on the DS is its strength and every opportunity for a new game should be taken up.  The development costs are already absorbed.  Localisation cannot be ridiculously expensive and distribution costs cannot be that significant as to make it high risk.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike
    @oldschool: Interesting...and I see that it features eight save slots. You should be all over this one.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
    @MB said:
    " @oldschool: Interesting...and I see that it features eight save slots. You should be all over this one. "
    I did not know that [insert shocked face]

That is brilliant and only leads to the conclusion that all games should have at least as many save files.  At least I will be able to save at different parts of the game and go back to one if I screw up (in Japanese, that is likely).
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mike
    @oldschool: Do you know how much of an RPG element the game has? I imagine there are stats and items and such, that part worries me being that it is in Japanese.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    @MB said:
    " @oldschool: Do you know how much of an RPG element the game has? I imagine there are stats and items and such, that part worries me being that it is in Japanese. "
    On my research, there is a lot of menu stuff.  It seems to described as fairly text intensive.  Games Radar described it as "not a great import" based on the text.

Not going to scare me though  :-)

I am reading that with a flash card, there is a transaltion patch for DS games .  I will investigate more, unless someone knows more about it already.

Anoher reason to get a flashcard?  I never get to old to learn something new  :-)  Thanks for asking questions MB, now I am learning new stuff.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oldschool
    @MB said:
    " @oldschool: Do you know how much of an RPG element the game has? I imagine there are stats and items and such, that part worries me being that it is in Japanese. "
    Awesome find MB and anyone afraid of the Japanese text:

That is essentially a complete translation of everything in the game.  It is categorised and extremely methodical.  That is the deal breaker - I'm in  :-)
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mike
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool
    @MB said:
    " Man, if I thought I could get that to work I would buy this. The translation looks super complicated to use, though.

http://somatrans.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page

"
    The flashcard option is quite intriguing.  I wish I knew someone who has used them to give me first hand advice.  That image looks awesome and shows the value of legal homebrew.
    dipstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By dipstick
    @oldschool said:
    "
    @MB said:
    " Man, if I thought I could get that to work I would buy this. The translation looks super complicated to use, though.

http://somatrans.referata.com/wiki/Main_Page

"
    The flashcard option is quite intriguing.  I wish I knew someone who has used them to give me first hand advice.  That image looks awesome and shows the value of legal homebrew.
    "
    I really have no interest in this game whatsoever but I love getting things like that to work :D

It looks like (from what I read) that its a simple "rom" to patch the game,as in you start up the rom using a flashcard and patch it

No biggie,I'll try it later and if it works I'll gladly guide you through it
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    @Dipstick said:
    "I really have no interest in this game whatsoever but I love getting things like that to work :DIt looks like (from what I read) that its a simple "rom" to patch the game,as in you start up the rom using a flashcard and patch it No biggie,I'll try it later and if it works I'll gladly guide you through it "

Thanks a lot man.  Giantbomb is such a lovely and helpful community.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool

Ordered.  On its way  :-)

I have also bookmarked the English translation.  It is so comprehensive that it will help massively in playing other games I have as well.  The thing with RPGs is that the text around all the menu share a lot of similar words.  Once I am familiar with many of the words via this, then I will recognise the same words in other games.

Plus, I am very much interest in the flash card and the translation patch.  It makes the game an effective localised version.  Homebrew people are my heroes  :-)
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#14  Edited By AgentJ

you just have to remember that the t with the curly on top next to a pair of slightly curved vertical lines is "hai" or "okay" or "yes", and four slightly curved vertical line followed by an italicized h is "iie" or "no".

Thatll get you through most computer programs : )
    Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Axersia

Ordered this yesterday right after I received an automated email from Play-Asia stating they had lowered the price (gotta love that notification system -- it's very useful for rare pre-owned games).

I've been wanting to purchase this for a while now, but I guess I just wasn't willing to spend $50 on a new IP that's essentially a Diablo clone with a bit more plot to it.

The battle system looks like it could be one of the the best on the DS though, and that was my main reason for buying it. Each of the 4 face buttons can have an attack/skill/spell mapped to it and you can cycle between 2 sets of these on-the-fly using the R button (I believe you eventually unlock a third set as well, but I'm not completely sure anymore). You can also access one set of items mapped to the face buttons using the L button. So that's 8 different attacks (or perhaps even 12) and 4 items all available to you in real-time with the press of 1 or 2 buttons and no need to browse any menus. Simple yet intuitive.

Even playing as a mage seems pretty fun in this game, which in my personal experience I've found rarely to be the case with these type of games (I recently played Children of Mana and magic was complete and utterly useless in that -- still a good game, though).

So yeah, I've ordered it and I'll be looking foward to finally getting my hands on it next week.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oldschool
    @Axersia said:
    " Ordered this yesterday right after I received an automated email from Play-Asia stating they had lowered the price (gotta love that notification system -- it's very useful for rare pre-owned games).I've been wanting to purchase this for a while now, but I guess I just wasn't willing to spend $50 on a new IP that's essentially a Diablo clone with a bit more plot to it.The battle system looks like it could be one of the the best on the DS though, and that was my main reason for buying it. Each of the 4 face buttons can have an attack/skill/spell mapped to it and you can cycle between 2 sets of these on-the-fly using the R button (I believe you eventually unlock a third set as well, but I'm not completely sure anymore). You can also access one set of items mapped to the face buttons using the L button. So that's 8 different attacks (or perhaps even 12) and 4 items all available to you in real-time with the press of 1 or 2 buttons and no need to browse any menus. Simple yet intuitive.Even playing as a mage seems pretty fun in this game, which in my personal experience I've found rarely to be the case with these type of games (I recently played Children of Mana and magic was complete and utterly useless in that -- still a good game, though).So yeah, I've ordered it and I'll be looking foward to finally getting my hands on it next week. "
    I found a gaming buddy  :-)

Competition is on to see who can get a review up first and who can complete more of the game in a week  :-)

I may be distracted by my copies of Sigma Harmonics and an English version of Final Fatasy Tactics A2 arriving in the same package.  Damn my short attention span  xD

Price is a significant factor here, I agree.  Any game that hits $20 and looks good or interesting (usually RPG or music/rhythm) is worth trying out.  I don't even consider it above that price.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.