Dreamcast Games Coming To 360, PS3 This Fall

• 124 results
Posted by MattBodega (1904 posts) -

You've got three crazy minutes to make all of your "crazy minute" jokes!
You knew it was coming. We knew it was coming. And today, Sega confirmed that, sure enough, you will be able to download ports of  Dreamcast games on your 360 and PS3. Starting this fall, Sega will begin releasing games from the nearly 690 games in the Dreamcast's catalog through the Xbox Live Marketplace and PlayStation Network (putting to bed earlier talk that the games would be sold through Microsoft's Game Room). Sega also revealed that the Dreamcast releases will be "enhanced ports" of the original games, with a higher resolution output for the games, surround sound support, and online leaderboards. Oh, and achievements and trophies to boot. 

And what two classic Dreamcast games will Sega release first to show off the missed potential of its beloved console? Why, none other than Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi! Yep. Sonic Adventure. Crazy Taxi. Those sure are video games. They're... they're real winners

In fact, we have some video demonstrating the high quality of both of these releases, straight from our Dreamcast tenth-year anniversary Quick Look Throwback extravaganza! Here's a little footage of that seminal 3D platformer, Sonic Adventure.

And here's our Quick Look of Crazy Taxi.

OK, maybe these two games don't serve as great examples of the Dreamcast's classic status (they just haven't aged that well). But there are some really cool Dreamcast games that would be really well suited for a downloadable rerelease, like Chu Chu Rocket and Power Stone. Which Dreamcast games do you folks want to see get updated for your 360 or PS3?

Let me know what you want to see in the comments. In the meantime, I'm going to plug my keyboard into my 360... and wait.
#1 Posted by MattBodega (1904 posts) -

You've got three crazy minutes to make all of your "crazy minute" jokes!
You knew it was coming. We knew it was coming. And today, Sega confirmed that, sure enough, you will be able to download ports of  Dreamcast games on your 360 and PS3. Starting this fall, Sega will begin releasing games from the nearly 690 games in the Dreamcast's catalog through the Xbox Live Marketplace and PlayStation Network (putting to bed earlier talk that the games would be sold through Microsoft's Game Room). Sega also revealed that the Dreamcast releases will be "enhanced ports" of the original games, with a higher resolution output for the games, surround sound support, and online leaderboards. Oh, and achievements and trophies to boot. 

And what two classic Dreamcast games will Sega release first to show off the missed potential of its beloved console? Why, none other than Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi! Yep. Sonic Adventure. Crazy Taxi. Those sure are video games. They're... they're real winners

In fact, we have some video demonstrating the high quality of both of these releases, straight from our Dreamcast tenth-year anniversary Quick Look Throwback extravaganza! Here's a little footage of that seminal 3D platformer, Sonic Adventure.

And here's our Quick Look of Crazy Taxi.

OK, maybe these two games don't serve as great examples of the Dreamcast's classic status (they just haven't aged that well). But there are some really cool Dreamcast games that would be really well suited for a downloadable rerelease, like Chu Chu Rocket and Power Stone. Which Dreamcast games do you folks want to see get updated for your 360 or PS3?

Let me know what you want to see in the comments. In the meantime, I'm going to plug my keyboard into my 360... and wait.
#2 Posted by Kazu666 (146 posts) -

Awesome, cant wait (yeh i liked Sonic Adventure, sue me)

#3 Edited by Blair (2505 posts) -

This is what I like to hear.

#4 Posted by ElegantRuby (516 posts) -

Excited I am

#5 Posted by Guyzea (816 posts) -

Just need Shenmue.

#6 Posted by TehJames (199 posts) -

Epic!

#7 Posted by august (3845 posts) -

what

#8 Posted by omgmetalgear (141 posts) -
@Guyzea: hell ya.
#9 Posted by JJOR64 (18989 posts) -

I played the shit out of the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure.  I will most likely get this version as well.

#10 Posted by arab_prince (2053 posts) -

wow awesome

#11 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

This is completely pointless if Chu Chu Rocket isn't on there.
#12 Posted by Tipio (3 posts) -

Phantasy Star...whatever...  but did that have subs?
#13 Posted by PLWolf (926 posts) -

Well, for the rest of the catalog, this is going to be cool.

#14 Posted by sixpin (1291 posts) -

I want Jet Grind Radio with achievements. Make it happen Sega!

#15 Posted by ZmillA (2271 posts) -

why?

well I never played shenmue 1, I love 2 though

#16 Edited by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

OH, YEAH! 

And bring back Jet Set Radiooooooo!

#17 Posted by ToadRunner (277 posts) -

why does this douche shit on the dreamcast?

those 2 games arent bad

#18 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

I was wrong about you Matt. Anyone who wants TOTD on XBLA is alright in my book.

#19 Posted by Digi7alS3lf (84 posts) -

Gimme Chu Chu Rocket danm!

#20 Posted by Brake (1099 posts) -

I don't really have nostalgia for any Dremcast games, but I would really love to play Typing of the Dead and maaaaaaaaybe Shenmue. Especially with achievements. Eff yeah!

#21 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Finally people will get to play Panzer Dragoon Saga legitimately!

#22 Posted by Olivaw (1215 posts) -

Oh man if I can buy an enhanced port of Power Stone 2 with trophies and leaderboards and maybe even online?

I will buy it nine times.

#23 Posted by plus_eight (15 posts) -

Words cannot portray my excitement. omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg!

#24 Posted by Jethuty (1023 posts) -

I REALLY dont like the new writer interns. its like they dont know how to be subtle. at all.

#25 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

Yaaay!

#26 Posted by CableCarrier (58 posts) -
@Olivaw said:
" Oh man if I can buy an enhanced port of Power Stone 2 with trophies and leaderboards and maybe even online?

I will buy it nine times. "
Same here. Especially if it has online.

In any case, I'm totally buying Crazy Taxi.
#27 Edited by Oni (2098 posts) -

Give me Shenmue 1 and 2 and Jet Set Radio mother-effers

shit, even Crazy Taxi 2 and Sonic Adventure 2. Both are better than their predecessors.

#28 Posted by Egge (446 posts) -

Dreamcast does not seem like the most essential console ever, but I guess getting a downloadable version of Shenmue would be nice...

#29 Posted by Rinkalicous (1340 posts) -

Don't you get all sarky about the quality of those games, Mr. Kessler! Both those games are classics! I plan on purchasing, and enjoying, both.    

#30 Posted by ManMadeGod (1561 posts) -

Nice. Now just give me Power Stone 2.................

#31 Posted by HatKing (5944 posts) -

So funny I was just talking to my girlfriend about these games and she said she'd really like to play Crazy Taxi. hahah
#32 Posted by Greenlight13 (99 posts) -

Heyyyy I kinda liked both of these games. Sure it's not "proper" Sonic, but it was ok for a while.

#33 Posted by DragoonKain1687 (702 posts) -
@Guyzea said:
" Just need Shenmue. "
Quoted for explicit Truth
#34 Posted by Innovacious (237 posts) -

Its been a long time since ive enjoyed me some crazy taxi, but i dont wanna ruin the memories. So, no thanks

#35 Posted by JustinSane311 (335 posts) -

Now I have a sudden urge to hook up my Dreamcast and Play MVC2, Powerstone 2, and Daytona USA!

#36 Posted by Slab64 (1055 posts) -

gimme that high-res crazy taxi port

unlike jeff, *I* remember how to boost

#37 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@zudthespud: Thanks for posting that. If they get Chu Chu Rocket with online play I'll buy that ish.
#38 Posted by dudeglove (7833 posts) -

So. Awesome.

#39 Posted by Darro (631 posts) -
@MrKlorox: You do know that game was for the Sega Saturn and not the Dreamcast right?!  

I will get Crazy Taxi since I really enjoyed the game back in the day, Sonic Adventure I will not get since I already have it but then again that hasn't stopped me from having several versions of the first Sonic games.  Shenmues I and II would be great but would probably prefer to play them on the PC.
#40 Posted by mosespippy (4169 posts) -

I hope the finished but never released Half Life for Dreamcast gets released now. It would be great to play through Half Life with trophies, especially since my PS2 version was glitched so that after killing the final boss you couldn't advance to the final chapter.

#41 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

If Shenmue is on the way I will be happy.

#42 Posted by Metiphis (388 posts) -

Seaman!!

#43 Posted by Yasihiko (34 posts) -

Excellent!  One of the last decent Sonic games ever!  I know Ryan you don't share the same empathy as some of us but I personally think Sonic Adventure was the last good Sonic game.

#44 Posted by lordbazuco (378 posts) -

I love the offspring! lol
#45 Posted by Tordah (2479 posts) -

This is pretty sweet. I never owned a Dreamcast so I never got to experience that era. I just hope the prices are right.

#46 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Darro said:
" @MrKlorox: You do know that game was for the Sega Saturn and not the Dreamcast right?! "
Oh yeah! I got confused when Bodega mentioned Game Room because that's where Saturn games were rumored to be turning up.
#47 Posted by nick_verissimo (1385 posts) -

Oh God, please give me Skies of Arcadia!

#48 Posted by David (130 posts) -

SHENMUE!

#49 Posted by BD (253 posts) -
@nick_verissimo said:
" Oh God, please give me Skies of Arcadia! "
YES I CAN DIE HAPPY
#50 Posted by Coleslaw893 (409 posts) -

This is good news. Hopefully I can finally play Shenmue 1 and 2 now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.