Anyone else happy they are making a sequel?

#1 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

While getting it for $15 probably colored my opinion of the game I did enjoy it for all it's Sega music, characters and it's swirly feel when compared to Mario Kart. I'll probably check it out on Vita when it comes out because I need some more games for that thing. Anyone else a fan of the first and willing to give this one a shot as well?

#2 Posted by EXTomar (4125 posts) -

I think a bigger problem is that many are probably thinking "When was the last Sonic All-Stars Racing?"

#3 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

@EXTomar: Yeah I loved the first game but I can't say I was hyped about it day one or even the year it came out. I picked it up last boxing day well after it had been out and was surprised to see it's existence in the bargain bin.

#4 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

That looks insanely fun, reminded me a bit of Diddy Kong Racing which I have a lot of good memories with.
Still need to pick up the first one sometime for a good price.

#5 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

im more suprised but from what i hear the first one was a competent Kart racer

#6 Posted by ESREVER (2574 posts) -

I briefly played the first one a couple weeks ago at a friend's place. From what I played, it wasn't that great. Competent, sure. Not really fun though.

#7 Posted by ShaggE (5983 posts) -

I'm not UNhappy about it.

#8 Edited by jakob187 (21503 posts) -

@EXTomar said:

I think a bigger problem is that many are probably thinking "When was the last Sonic All-Stars Racing?"

It was a couple of years ago, and it was fucking awesome...minus the shitty frame rate at times as well as the glitched achievement for getting all achievements...that I happened to actually get.

Yes, I HAVE AN S-RANK FOR SONIC & SEGA ALL-STARS RACING! What's weirder IS THAT I WANTED TO GET IT!

#9 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -
I never asked for this.
#10 Posted by LordAndrew (13985 posts) -

Can the vehicles transform into werehogs?

#11 Edited by JJOR64 (18783 posts) -

I had the first one and I enjoyed it. I'll probably check this one out as well.

#12 Posted by Taku128 (724 posts) -

I really enjoyed the first one, much more-so than Mario Kart Wii, and more than even Mario Kart 7 due to the controls. It was basically HD Mario Kart with competent online and better item balance, which is to say it was awesome.

#13 Posted by LobsterVendetta (97 posts) -

I am definitely happy about it.

I didn't expect the first one to be as enjoyable as it was and I would be happy to play some more of it, especially since some of the guys from Blur are working on it. Though I hope this time the roster goes just a bit deeper into the Genesis/Mega Drive franchises. (aka Axel Stone from Streets of Rage needs to show up, cmon!)

#14 Posted by Redbullet685 (5980 posts) -

Haven't played the first, but they should really get some more obscure characters from Sega's history.

#15 Posted by BPRJCTX (705 posts) -

Anyone who played the first game knows how good it was.

It was awesome!!!

Say whatever you will, so Mario Kart did it first, so what, in my opinion, it was much better than Mario Kart Wii.

And, yeah, i can't wait to get this, just from this trailer, you can already see they're doing it better than Mario Kart, by making fast Hydro Thunder Like sections, instead of slow ass underwhater submarine segments.

#16 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

@EXTomar said:

It was a couple of years ago, and it was fucking awesome...minus the shitty frame rate at times as well as the glitched achievement for getting all achievements...that I happened to actually get.

Yes, I HAVE AN S-RANK FOR SONIC & SEGA ALL-STARS RACING! What's weirder IS THAT I WANTED TO GET IT!

I too, S ranked the first game. It's a shockingly fun racing game. I felt karts handled too similar to one another so hopefully the sequel fixes that.

#17 Posted by jakob187 (21503 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@jakob187 said:

@EXTomar said:

I too, S ranked the first game. It's a shockingly fun racing game. I felt karts handled too similar to one another so hopefully the sequel fixes that.

Sonic & Sega All-Star Racing did do one thing: gave a reason for Shadow the Hedgehog to exist in the first fucking place.

#18 Posted by Irvandus (2643 posts) -

This title is so hard to pronounce. Just try saying it out loud.

#19 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9758 posts) -

Are Banjo and Kazooie going to be in it again? What about Ryo from Shenmue? I want to see a forklift airplane!

Also, why wouldn't you always be flying? I understand that the trailer makes it look like transformations are not player controlled, but why wouldn't you always be flying?

#20 Posted by DarkShaper (1296 posts) -

I loved the first game, so yah I'm probably gonna pick this up.

#21 Posted by RudeCubes (135 posts) -

The last game was great, this one even moreso I bet! Anything they do to distance themselves from Mario Kart'll help.

As long as they don't get rid of my main men The Bonanza Bros...well i'll probably still go for it, especially if the rumors of Ristar and Vectorman are true.

#22 Posted by abdo (1037 posts) -

The first one was such a great game, I'm definitely gonna grab this one too.

@RudeCubes said:

As long as they don't get rid of my main men The Bonanza Bros...well i'll probably still go for it, especially if the rumors of Ristar and Vectorman are true.

Oh yeah

#23 Edited by MocBucket62 (1041 posts) -

Never played the first one, yet from what I heard, it was much better than what people thought it was going to be. I'll be tempted to play this if it has one of the following: 

• Joe Montana as a playable character: There is a .000000000000001% chance this is  a possibility, but if he comes in as a driver for his role in Joe Montana's NFL Football, that would be funny as hell!
  • Total War themes races: I don't expect historic figures to be playable like Napoleon Bonaparte trying to outrace Sonic and friends, but having stages based on recent Total War games would be fun. Imagine racing through and samurai battle in Total War: Shogun 2 and trying to drift away from potential cannon fire!
  • Exclusive characters for other platfroms: Yeah the 360 had Banjo and Kazooie, but why didn't the PS3 have Ratchet and Clank or why didn't the Wii have more than just the Mii's. Would be hilarious if Mario was the Wii or Wii U exclusive racer.
#24 Posted by abdo (1037 posts) -

@MocBucket62: They did have the Bonanza Bros and 'Zobio and Zobiko' in the last game, who are apparently the main characters of some obscure House of The Dead game that only came out in Japan, so I guess the door's open for pretty much anyone from a Sega game. Hmmm, maybe Bayonetta or Sam Gideon...

As for exclusive characters, according to the first game's wiki they were gonna have Mario exclusively on the Wii version, but decided not too so they could distinguish the game from the Mario & Sonic Olympic Games games. Playing the PS3 version, with no exclusive character, I don't feel like I missed out much on that end (maybe a little actually), but an exclusive character would be a nice bonus.

#25 Posted by ahgunsillyo (440 posts) -

In that case, if they don't include the G-6155 Interceptor from the 2001 Spy Hunter, they're clearly doing it wrong.

Xbox box art (cropped)
#26 Posted by abdo (1037 posts) -

@ahgunsillyo: Well, apart from not being related to Sega, a big problem with Spy Hunter is: who owns the rights? Warner Brothers?

#27 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -

The first one was pretty okay, I wasn't too interested in the sequel until they announced that Vyse is in the game, I'm pretty hyped for that.

They dropped the "Sega" part from the title though, which is worrying. Having Vyse and Gillius Thunderhead is fantastic, but it makes it sound like they're going to put an even stronger focus on Sonic. We already had the main Sonic guys in the first one, does anyone care about Cream, the Chaotix or Silver?

#28 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

Am I the only one who is happy they are making a sequel?

#29 Posted by MormonWarrior (2485 posts) -

I'm kind of a sucker for good kart racers and this looks like an interesting mix of Diddy Kong Racing and Mario Kart.

#30 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -
#31 Posted by MikkaQ (10225 posts) -

Only if they lean hard on the Dreamcast-era stuff. That was my favorite aspect of that game.

#32 Posted by punkxblaze (2878 posts) -

A lot of people probably dismissed the first game because IT HAS SONIC IN IT SO IT SUCKS, but it was one of the better kart games in the last five or so years. Better than Mario Kart wii, imo.

So yes. I am excited.

#33 Posted by Sanaj (169 posts) -

If there aren't any of the "avoid breaking the jars" missions, then yes.

#34 Posted by Snail (8470 posts) -

This game gets overlooked and dismissed way more than it should doesn't it? I may give the sequel a shot, even though I don't have the first one.

#35 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

Was interested in the first one but never got it. Pretty sure I will get this one at some point. Considering the cart game I played the most is Diddy Kong Racing, which also had planes and hovercraft, me getting this one has a nice consistency.

They should make a Sega vs Square cart racer next.

#36 Posted by henrykillenger (29 posts) -

I would say no until I saw shinobi riding an atv, then it became a yes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.