Nvidia Issues with a laptop with dedicated graphics

#1 Posted by deadeyes (71 posts) -

So, I had this issue with the demo for Sonic Generations on Steam. No matter what I did, tried some crazy guides to try and get my dedicated card to be used, the game always used the integrated graphics.

Gave up on it and forgot about, now I've just fired up Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed. Was playing a quick race and I was thinking it was running rather slow, so I checked the launcher. Same issue.

It just wont see that I have a much better graphics card in the machine at all. Anyone else had the issue?

#2 Posted by Morello (85 posts) -

Go to the NVidia Control Panel and under Manage 3D settings change the Preferred graphics processor to High-performance NVIDIA processor.

#3 Edited by deadeyes (71 posts) -

@Morello: I've got it set in there to do that, the same with the sonic demo. I even tried just right clicking on the executable and selecting run with graphics processor -> High-performance NVIDIA processor(which is set to default anyway)

It's mental I can run games fine on this, but Sonic Generations and this run crappy

Update: I connected the laptop to my tv through HDMI and it ran with the correct graphics card but every now and then the display would cut out for 2-3 seconds. I thought I was past this issue(Had it a while ago and it stopped doing it)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.