Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 16, 2012

A sequel to the 2010 kart racer featuring Sega mascots driving vehicles that adapt to land, sea and air.

Play this game. DO IT.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

Seriously, if you're a fan of arcade racers in general, the PC version that just got released is unmissable. Not only the best kart racer I've ever played, but the most fun I've had with a racing game since Split/Second.

Plus, it looks GORGEOUS. Like, this would have been impressive as a CGI intro-video to any racer from the last generation. Runs like a dream too. Cannot recommend the game enough - and it's only £13.50 from GreenManGaming if you use a voucher.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By csl316

I did, it's awesome. And I haven't really been into a kart racer since Crash Team Racing.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By vitor

@csl316 said:

I did, it's awesome. And I haven't really been into a kart racer since Crash Team Racing.

Same. Have friends who are obsessed with mario kart Wii but it just frustrates me. Punishing better players does not make things more balanced.

Sonic seems to get this totally right though. The weapons hit easily but not that hard so it's always something that you recover from fairly quickly. Even falls off the edge don't put you as far back as they do in mario Kart where they might as well end the race.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Snail

When the heck is it coming out on PC?

Oh, just checked Steam. Apparently it's already out on PC. Sweet!

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mesoian

@Snail said:

When the heck is it coming out on PC?

It's out.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Snail:

@Vitor said:

the PC version that just got released is unmissable.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Snail

@Cloudenvy said:

@Snail:

@Vitor said:

the PC version that just got released is unmissable.

I might've skimmed the first post, but I'm still surprised I missed that.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By hwy_61

YO I FEEL YOU BROTHER, BUT I'M A CHEAP BASTARD SO IMA WAIT A LIL BIT.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I agree, great game.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By csl316
    @Vitor said:

@csl316 said:

Same. Have friends who are obsessed with mario kart Wii but it just frustrates me. Punishing better players does not make things more balanced.

Sonic seems to get this totally right though. The weapons hit easily but not that hard so it's always something that you recover from fairly quickly. Even falls off the edge don't put you as far back as they do in mario Kart where they might as well end the race.

And it's fairly easy to pick up.  Within a couple races my friend was getting first on normal.  It also makes a good first impression with the cool course design and smooth controls.

Of course, the skill ceiling on this game is crazy high for a kart racer.  Those 4 star races are insane, but I never feel like you lose or win because of rubber-banding.  That's probably what makes me like it so much.
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I really like the first one which surprised me. I will have to get this one at some point. Just sucks that Ryo is not in it. He is who I always used.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Anyone want to split a 4-pack on Steam?

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vitor

@csl316 said:

@Vitor said:

@csl316 said:

And it's fairly easy to pick up. Within a couple races my friend was getting first on normal. It also makes a good first impression with the cool course design and smooth controls. Of course, the skill ceiling on this game is crazy high for a kart racer. Those 4 star races are insane, but I never feel like you lose or win because of rubber-banding. That's probably what makes me like it so much.

It's got a surprising amount of depth too.

Once I learned how to build up boost by drifting (and that changing direction while drifting doesn't reset the charge) things really started to come into their own. That and every big jump is a challenge to nail a triple flip or more.

Really pleasantly surprised by the game. So much fun but also stands its ground as a decent racer. All of the powerups feel balanced and never cheap which is the most important thing of all.

And those mini-game/mini-challenges are so inventive. The traffic check and tank battles are great fun. Clearly a lot of creative and talented people work over there at Sumo.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By squiDc00kiE

Did I hear somewhere there's a Vita version of this? Is that any good?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By csl316
    @squiDc00kiE Word is that the performace on Vita isn't great. IGN gave a pretty fair review of that version. I'm on mobile and can't link!
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Andorski

Good to see some people are playing this game. This is probably destined to be a very underrated racer. While the artwork, presentation, and overall cohesiveness of this game doesn't match Mario Kart (which is probably my view due to mainly being a Nintendo console owner growing up), the gameplay is downright better than any Mario Kart game to come out to date. Driving feels tight, tracks become completely bananas at times, and the hard difficulty doesn't feel completely cheap.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60061752a57
    deactivated-5e60061752a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tunaburn

my 5 year old likes it

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#19  Edited By beard_of_zeus

I picked up the 360 version when it came out and enjoyed it a lot. The previous Sonic All-Stars title was a bit of a pleasant surprise upon release, so I wasn't surprised that this one was a high quality kart racer as well.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#20  Edited By DarthOrange
    Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Solh0und

@csl316 said:

@squiDc00kiE Word is that the performace on Vita isn't great. IGN gave a pretty fair review of that version. I'm on mobile and can't link!

Still better than the Wii-U one.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By BabyChooChoo

So...like...that Burning Rangers stage is probably the best thing ever.

Goddamn. Just...holy shit. I picked this up yesterday. Why the fuck is this game so fucking good?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
    deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't stop playing this game either!

Busy leveling up characters and getting three stars on everything before moving onto the third cup.

I've never played Golden Axe, but that stage is amazing! All of them are! It's shaming my love of Mario Kart!

When it comes to racing games I only like two things: Mario Kart and Burnout! This game scratches both of those itches.

If I start thinking about this I going to stay up all night playing it... going to have to get my Mario Kart buddies together and go nuts on this game.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By vitor

And now the game is 50% off on Steam! It's only £9.99 here in the UK which is a complete steal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.