It's Out Now! Impressions?

#1 Edited by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -

So what are people's impression of the game now that it is out on Xbox 360 Arcade? I'm only up the third level but I'll give a quick rundown of what I've experienced so far.

-I had the US version so my soundtrack was different from this version. The soundtrack is good but, for mostly nostalgic reason, I miss the old soundtrack. This version doesn't even have Sonic Boom!

-The graphics look great. They did a really nice job with the update. Plus it is nice to finally play this game with a good, solid frame-rate.

-The game is still really, really fun.

EDIT: Thanks to resifreak for reminding me. I'm also really happy that this game is $5 (400 MSP). I was expecting a Sega-tax and a higher price point.

#2 Edited by resifreak (25 posts) -

Im on the Wacky... ( something world cant rememberer the name of it) Boss, i own the Game for the Sega CD and the Soundtracks completely Different but i knew that going into it, its Well worth the 400 MSP its on sale for,i was really expecting a 800 MSP knowing how Sonic 4 was 1200 MSP . but i wouldn't say its aged terribly well tbh i still think Sonic 3 & Knuckles was the Best Thing you can do with Sonic.

#3 Posted by bibamatt (1088 posts) -

You know it's got both soundtracks right? Hit up that options menu!

It's definitely uglier than I remembered (for me)... I don't really like the art style compared to the earlier Sonic games. It's all crazy. But a great game.

#4 Posted by steevl (202 posts) -

Yeah, as said before, you can switch the soundtrack to the US version. I did that immediately. I'm sure I'll play through it again with the Japanese music some other time.

I only played through the very first level, got a good future, and got the gem in the bonus stage. So far I'm enjoying it as much as I did 17 years ago. It's kind of weirding me out seeing a stable framerate for the bonus stage, though!

#5 Posted by resifreak (25 posts) -

Thanks Bibamatt i didnt know that, i hadnt really looked, i found it looked better with the original graphics then the "smooth" ones

#6 Posted by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -

@bibamatt said:

You know it's got both soundtracks right? Hit up that options menu!

Done!

@steevl said:

Yeah, as said before, you can switch the soundtrack to the US version. I did that immediately. I'm sure I'll play through it again with the Japanese music some other time.

I only played through the very first level, got a good future, and got the gem in the bonus stage. So far I'm enjoying it as much as I did 17 years ago. It's kind of weirding me out seeing a stable framerate for the bonus stage, though!

The field of view and the pseudo-3D effect on those bonus stages are a real bitch.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Wait, it is? And I wasted my points on Code Veronica X? Damn it! (Or would this have been an even bigger waste? I can't remember.)

#8 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Just completed the game as Tails, its crazy they would include him. Its great, he completely breaks the game. I also tried the American soundtrack for my second game. I had never heard it before and its terrible. Why the hell did they replace the soundtrack to begin with?

Anyway, this is a great port. I just wish Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles recieved the same attention. The 16:9 screen size is a huge plus. I've been rather critical of CD in the past but its better than I remember. Still no S3&K mind you.

#9 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

@MysteriousBob said:

Just completed the game as Tails, its crazy they would include him. Its great, he completely breaks the game. I also tried the American soundtrack for my second game. I had never heard it before and its terrible. Why the hell did they replace the soundtrack to begin with?

Anyway, this is a great port. I just wish Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles recieved the same attention. The 16:9 screen size is a huge plus. I've been rather critical of CD in the past but its better than I remember. Still no S3&K mind you.

a fan made this one, not sega or some other outsourced dev. there be your answer to why the other ports aren't as well done.

#10 Posted by csl316 (8677 posts) -

The game's still awesome.  I loved it as a kid, and had a good time on the Gems Collection.  Thank god they ended up getting the U.S. soundtrack after all.

I ran through all the Genesis games this year and was quite happy that they were still a ton of fun.  Luckily, this one was just as good, if not better.

#11 Posted by csl316 (8677 posts) -
@Toms115: Didn't know it was by a fan.  Maybe one day the fan-made Streets of Rage Remake will get an official release?  I'm one of the few that got it before it was taken down, and it needs to see the light of day again.
#12 Posted by Generiko (445 posts) -

This job is great! The menus aren't ugly as sin and the options aren't barebones.

Mr. Whitehead is fucking awesome!

I just beat it and it is my favorite Sonic game now.

#13 Posted by WilliamHenry (1203 posts) -

Just started playing this for the first time ever and I have no idea what is going on. Seems crazy that they introduced the time travel stuff but never explain it whatsoever, besides a paragraph buried in a menu. Still fun though.

#14 Posted by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -

@WilliamHenry said:

Just started playing this for the first time ever and I have no idea what is going on. Seems crazy that they introduced the time travel stuff but never explain it whatsoever, besides a paragraph buried in a menu. Still fun though.

Introduce time travel without explaining it was kind of weird but, in a way, it was neat that it wasn't explained. For those that don't know, Sonic can travel forward or backward through time. Changing the past effected the present and the future meaning every act in the game had 5 different looks (the past, good present, bad present, good future, bad future). Destroying robot generators and metal sonic holograms in the past caused the present and future to change. Destroying all of the generators and holograms in every act led to the good ending and not doing so led to the normal ending. Since they didn't explain it, finding these generators and holograms and seeing their effects in the present and future without knowing about this beforehand was really cool. In a way, it allowed for exploration in a sonic game which, for the majority of the sonic games, was rare.

#15 Edited by Melvargh (496 posts) -

This was the only 2D Sonic game I missed, and boy is it good.

I love the absolutely massive levels, and the time travel stuff is crazy. Anyone who thinks Sonic is only about holding right and jumping should play this and forget about it.

#16 Posted by BoG (5191 posts) -

I purchased it for my Android phone, and it runs very well. This is the best Sonic game, and I'm glad to have it on the go. I'll probably buy it on Xbox 360 as well. I do that with games I love. I own Symphony of the Night on every console possible.

#17 Posted by Itsdapoleece (23 posts) -

Interestingly, discovered this was out by looking through the App Store this weekend. Didn't realize it was on 360 as well so I'll have to grab it on there. Sonic CD is still to this day the one major 2D Sonic game I never fully played through.

#18 Posted by WilliamHenry (1203 posts) -

So it seems like I'm the only one who doesn't really care for the game. I love the original games and played them all countless times, but I don't find this game great. I just don't care for the time travel stuff at all. It plays just like the old games and I enjoy the platforming just as much as the old games, but I don't really like any of the levels, music, bonus stages, or the different jump sound effect. I still have to finish the last level and maybe play through it again, but as of now, I don't care for the game. I'm glad it was only five bucks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.