The Sonic the Fighters wiki last edited by Jeff on 05/05/13 04:22PM
View full history
Sonic the Fighters came from a bored Sega-AM2 programmer working on Fighting Vipers that decided to put in Sonic the Hedgehog in the game for amusement. After winning the approval of Sega-AM2 head Yu Suzuki and Sonic Team head Yuji Naka, Sega-AM2 commissioned a Sonic fighting game that became Sonic the Fighters.
The game was included in Sonic Gems Collection for the GameCube and PlayStation 2, and will be released as a downloadable title on the Xbox Live Marketplace and PlayStation Network. The XBLM and PSN versions appear to feature Metal Sonic, Dr. Robotnik, and the previously dummied-out Honey the Cat as playable characters.
After the destruction of the Death Egg at the finale of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Dr. Ivo 'Eggman' Robotnik rebuilds Metal Sonic and constructs the Death Egg II. Tails informs Sonic of the situation and plans to build a rocket so they can fly there and stop Dr. Robotnik again. Tails completes the rocket ship and names it the Lunar Fox. However, there are two draw backs; the space craft can only carry one passenger at a time; in order for it to function it requires the power of all seven Chaos Emeralds. Sonic and Tails then set out to locate the seven emeralds when they discover that Knuckles is in possession of one of them. After explaining to Knuckles what is happening, Sonic demands that Knuckles gives him his emerald. Knuckles begins to question why Sonic was chosen to pilot the Lunar Fox. It is then decided that Sonic and friends will hold a fighting tournament and the winner will be the one to fly to the Death Egg II to stop Dr. Robotnik and Metal Sonic.
The ending is the same for every character. The player's character is piloting the Lunar Fox to Earth as the Death Egg II is destroyed by a huge explosion. Robotnik and Metal Sonic are then seen flying back towards Earth after the credits.
- Sonic the Hedgehog - Sonic attacks using standard kicks and punches along with his spin dash ability.
- Super Sonic - If the player reaches Metal Sonic without losing any prior matches, Sonic will become Super Sonic during Round 2 of the fight. The player will not take damage in this form.
- Mile "Tails" Prower - Miles can use his tails to fly and fight at the same time.
- Knuckles the Echidna - The most powerful character in the game, Knuckles attacks using a series of straight punches.
- Amy Rose - Amy's combat focus is defense; she is able to perform powerful counter-attacks.
- Espio the Chameleon - Espio attacks quickly and can use his long tongue to strike opponents from a distance.
- Nack the Weasel - Fang attacks primarily with his Pop-gun. His other attacks are very weak.
- Bean the Dynamite - Bean uses explosives as projectiles and attacks with his beak.
- Bark the Polar Bear - Slow but powerful, Bark has strong short ranged attacks and throws.
- Metal Sonic - The player fights Metal Sonic aboard the Death Egg II. Metal Sonic has an extremely powerful throw and can fire lasers out of his chest.
- Dr. Robotnik - The final boss of the game, Dr. Robotnik has to be beaten in 15 seconds or less. If the player fails to beat him in that time, they will get the Game Over screen. If they defeat him, the player will see the Death Egg 2 explode and their character fly back to Earth in the Lunar Fox.
The following characters can only be accessed by hacking the game.
- Dr. Robotnik without his robotic armor
- Robotnik's Robot
- Robotnik in a UFO
- Rocket Metal; Metal Sonic Model No.29
- Honey - A yellow cat with black hair based on the character Candy from Fighting Vipers, Honey was going to be a playable character but she was taken out of the game. Honey is the only character who has an alternate costume instead of having a gray-scale version if she is selected by both players.