Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 07, 2010

A Sonic Team and Dimps co-production, Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I is the first part of the next numeric chapter (though really the twenty-sixth entry) in the adventures of Sega's longtime mascot.

Priced and dated!

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By bibamatt
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

Fuck no.   

I'm not paying 15 bucks for a Sonic game.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By damswedon
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Fuck no.    I'm not paying 15 bucks for a Sonic game. "
    Let alone part of a sonic game. Now if it was 400MSP / £$5 then I'd might consider it.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#4  Edited By Soap

Fucking Ripoff, this thing had better be a master piece to justify the price and judging from the previous 10 years of sonic games I'm gunna say it wont be

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ProfessorEss

Hahahaha.
    15 bucks.
    Have fun with that.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By tebbit

If this is the size that I expect of episodic content, then F that. 

If it's the size of Sonic 2, lets do this thing!

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By nail1080

Fuck that shit

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ajamafalous

Saw the price rumors a couple days ago.

Disappointed.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By JJWeatherman

I don't see $15 as that much... 

I think everyone was spoiled by the Dead Rising 2 game.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bibamatt

I'd pay $15 for Sonic 4.  I don't think I'll pay $15 for one episode of Sonic 4.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By 234r2we232

I still regret buying Sonic 2 back when it was on sale for 300 MS points. But 1200 for only one part? Sega. You are crazy.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By agentboolen

I'd be willing to bet this will come on disc when they have all the parts finished...  And being a guy with a full Xbox 360 20gb hdd I'd be willing to wait for this one.  Not to mention I'm not convince sega still knows how to make a fun Sonic game.

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Vanek

I was kinda hoping for a 800MSP/$10 price tag but I can't say I'm surprised.  I'll try the demo and see.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " I don't see $15 as that much...  I think everyone was spoiled by the Dead Rising 2 game. "
    For 4 levels of a Sonic game?  That's not even 30 minutes of game time.  Maybe an hour if you're going for the emeralds.

I was expecting 800 points, which even then would have been pushing it.  400 like was rumoured and I would have bought the game without even getting the trial.  They've really priced themselves out of the market, I don't see too many people going for this.
    Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mikewrestler5

That's way too expensive.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By FreakAche

Prepare for a thread full of irrational hatred for this game just because it's a Sonic game. I love the Sonic games made by Dimps, but yeah $15 seems a bit much for something that we already know is much shorter than their typical fare.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#17  Edited By Legend

Nope, not interested.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @FreakAche said:
    " Prepare for a thread full of irrational hatred for this game just because it's a Sonic game. I love the Sonic games made by Dimps, but yeah $15 seems a bit much for something that we already know is much shorter than their typical fare. "
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " I don't see $15 as that much...  I think everyone was spoiled by the Dead Rising 2 game. "
    For 4 levels of a Sonic game?  That's not even 30 minutes of game time.  Maybe an hour if you're going for the emeralds.  I was expecting 800 points, which even then would have been pushing it.  400 like was rumoured and I would have bought the game without even getting the trial.  They've really priced themselves out of the market, I don't see too many people going for this. "
    Let's not jump to conclusions regarding the length of the game. I'm pretty sure nobody knows how long it is yet besides maybe a few people that are reviewing it. If there's some article about it, then alright you can complain about that. 

I still think people are spoiled by the Dead Rising 2 XBLA game. This is a Sonic game we're talking about here. The franchise is easily popular enough to charge a premium, and $15 is the premium on XBLA right now. Knowing SEGA's history, you probably shouldn't have expected less than $15 for a Sonic game. I do have a feeling that it may not justify that price, but I'm staying optimistic. Luckily XBLA always has demos, so you can always know before hand.
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @JJWeatherman said:

" @WinterSnowblind said:

" @JJWeatherman said:
    For 4 levels of a Sonic game?  That's not even 30 minutes of game time.  Maybe an hour if you're going for the emeralds.  I was expecting 800 points, which even then would have been pushing it.  400 like was rumoured and I would have bought the game without even getting the trial.  They've really priced themselves out of the market, I don't see too many people going for this. "
    Let's not jump to conclusions regarding the length of the game. I'm pretty sure nobody knows how long it is yet besides maybe a few people that are reviewing it. If there's some article about it, then alright you can complain about that.  I still think people are spoiled by the Dead Rising 2 XBLA game. This is a Sonic game we're talking about here. The franchise is easily popular enough to charge a premium, and $15 is the premium on XBLA right now. Knowing SEGA's history, you probably shouldn't have expected less than $15 for a Sonic game. I do have a feeling that it may not justify that price, but I'm staying optimistic. Luckily XBLA always has demos, so you can always know before hand. "
    Sorry, but there's been leaked videos of the game all over the internet for months, plus the four levels have been confirmed for quite a while.
    If this were a full Sonic game, the length of Sonic 2 or 3, then i wouldn't have such an issue with the price.  But this is episode 1, and that's very expensive for so little.  I'd also argue that rather than being spoiled with DR2, that was finally a case of developers charging a reasonable amount for an arcade title / DLC.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:

" @WinterSnowblind said:

" @JJWeatherman said:
    Let's not jump to conclusions regarding the length of the game. I'm pretty sure nobody knows how long it is yet besides maybe a few people that are reviewing it. If there's some article about it, then alright you can complain about that.  I still think people are spoiled by the Dead Rising 2 XBLA game. This is a Sonic game we're talking about here. The franchise is easily popular enough to charge a premium, and $15 is the premium on XBLA right now. Knowing SEGA's history, you probably shouldn't have expected less than $15 for a Sonic game. I do have a feeling that it may not justify that price, but I'm staying optimistic. Luckily XBLA always has demos, so you can always know before hand. "
    Sorry, but there's been leaked videos of the game all over the internet for months, plus the four levels have been confirmed for quite a while.
    If this were a full Sonic game, the length of Sonic 2 or 3, then i wouldn't have such an issue with the price.  But this is episode 1, and that's very expensive for so little.  I'd also argue that rather than being spoiled with DR2, that was finally a case of developers charging a reasonable amount for an arcade title / DLC. "
    Well then you sir are crazy. $5 for all that content was a gift to be sure.
    scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By scarace360

HOW DARE SEGA CHARGE FOR A SONIC GAME!

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:

" @WinterSnowblind said:

" @JJWeatherman said:
    If this were a full Sonic game, the length of Sonic 2 or 3, then i wouldn't have such an issue with the price.  But this is episode 1, and that's very expensive for so little.  I'd also argue that rather than being spoiled with DR2, that was finally a case of developers charging a reasonable amount for an arcade title / DLC. "
    Well then you sir are crazy. $5 for all that content was a gift to be sure. "
    It is a great amount of content, but correct me if I'm wrong, most of it is just from the full game.
    It does have a unique story and I did have a lot of fun with it.  But I doubt it took them that much effort to make it.

And considering how much most developers charge us for 30-40 minutes of content, I find it really hard to be sympathetic in these situations.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:

" @WinterSnowblind said:

" @JJWeatherman said:
    How do you know there won't be more zones?
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:

" @WinterSnowblind said:

" @JJWeatherman said:
    Well then you sir are crazy. $5 for all that content was a gift to be sure. "
    It is a great amount of content, but correct me if I'm wrong, most of it is just from the full game. It does have a unique story and I did have a lot of fun with it.  But I doubt it took them that much effort to make it.  And considering how much most developers charge us for 30-40 minutes of content, I find it really hard to be sympathetic in these situations. "
    None of it is from the full game. That was an entirely new area.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Fuck that, im not buying it. 
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JJOR64

I seen the Wii price leak a week ago.  Since Dimps is making this game, I have some hopes for it.  I bummed it's going to be $15.  To get all the episodes for it, it might cost $60.     :/

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RE_Player1

I think Sega still thinks Sonic is a thing... After Case Zero comes out at $5 theres no way I'd pay $15 for episode 1 of a Sonic game. 

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hamz

Going to be a hard sell trying to convince folks to pay that much for what is basically part of a game.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jimbo

Case Zero was subsidized promotional material for DR2, so it's hardly a fair comparison.  If anybody thinks Case Zero is gonna set a new standard for XBLA pricing then they're going to be disappointed.  

$15 is still too much for 'Episode 1' of a Sonic remake though.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By SaFt
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:

" @WinterSnowblind said:

" @JJWeatherman said:
    Isn't there like Three acts for each Zone? That's how i've understood it at least.
    blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By blair
    @nail1080 said:
    " Fuck that shit "
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Tebbit said:
    " If this is the size that I expect of episodic content, then F that.  If it's the size of Sonic 2, lets do this thing! "
    This is the opinion. No reason to have any others, people. Move along.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jakob187
    @JJWeatherman said:

Not at all.  I simply think that when we're told this is "episodic content" for a 2D side-scrolling game that hasn't produced a GOOD game in nearly a decade, it's really really REALLY hopeful wishing on Sega's part that we'll bite on it at $15, ESPECIALLY one that has been rumored at only having about an hour of gameplay for full achievement completion, etc.

Definitely gonna wait for reviews on this one.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By landon

In the words of Ryan. Greedy, greedy fucks.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RE_Player1

When it goes on sale for like $10 than I'll buy it. 

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By Julmust

Fuck you Sega. I hope this shit sells poorly.

I went on the app-store and in my country this costs 11$, and there's not even a free version or like a demo.
    That's a lot of money for an iPhone game. 6 dollars is as high as I will go. 

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By StarFoxA

I'm tired of this $15 trend.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Diamond

Even if they nail the gameplay, $15 seems too short for part of a 2D Sonic game.  Maybe if the levels / music / gameplay was as inspired as the early Sonic games.  I didn't even buy Sonic 3 for full price when it was new in 1994...

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Shadow

But I do want a Sonic game...maybe I'll go out and finally buy the 2006 Sonic game.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By KaosAngel

....you could speed run these levels in 3 minutes I bet. 

$15 per episode, and assuming it'll be 4 episodes...that's as much as a full priced game for a franchise that sucks.   

I'd rather pay for another month of FFXIV than a Sonic Episode.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By Julmust
    @Shadow said:
    " But I do want a Sonic game...maybe I'll go out and finally buy the 2006 Sonic game. "
    Pretty sure you'll be better off not doing that.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jakob187
    @StarFoxA said:
    " I'm tired of this $15 trend. "
    I don't mind paying $15 for a good game being developed by some indie studio looking to get some funds for bigger games (Twisted Pixel is a primary example IMO).  However, Sega has a lot more to prove than most of the indie studios at the moment. 

@Hamz said:
    " Going to be a hard sell trying to convince folks to pay that much for what is basically part of a game. "
    Well, how much did people pay for Episode One and Episode Two of Half-Life 2?  How much do we pay for DLC that only lasts an hour or two?  It kind of makes sense that this game would be $15...but again, they've gotta have a really great game on their hands.  Like, Game of the Decade great at this point.

After being burned for ten years, it's going to take a lot to make this worth a $15 purchase, and let's all be real:  we know it won't.  It's the Duke Nukem Forever factor.
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By fox01313

All the small number of rabidly insane sonic fans out there who've been begging for this as well as promoting/buying the Sonic games in all their forms, you better be glad this came out. With it being $15 for each episode & episodic full of cliffhangers constantly eating away at your mentality if the 2nd or 3rd episode is ever coming out, I hope you put Sonic to rest out by the woodpile, everyone else has moved on & doesn't really care about Sonic anymore. Play the games that were good from days gone by & stop asking for more Sonic games so maybe these developers will make something better instead of yet another Sonic game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.