Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 07, 2010

A Sonic Team and Dimps co-production, Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I is the first part of the next numeric chapter (though really the twenty-sixth entry) in the adventures of Sega's longtime mascot.

Reading Between the Lines: Sonic the Hedgehog 4

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

Edited By BlazeHedgehog

So Sega announced Sonic the Hedgehog 4

For a 50 second teaser that only shows 4 seconds of gameplay tops, it speaks volumes about what could be going on behind the scenes with the game. Like what?

The Game Is Already "Done"

Before Sega took them down, there were images on the site ( Sonicthehedgehog4.com) that declared that the game would be released July, 2010. They have been since replaced with images that say "Summer 2010" (a period of time which includes July). That's actually not to far off, especially if you consider how the act of creating and releasing a game works. It means that the developers of Sonic 4 have about 3-4 months until the game has to be submitted for Xbox Live Arcade certification. That means that, right now, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is "content complete". All the levels are in and can be finished from beginning to end. Everything in the game is already set in stone and cannot be changed. Going by traditional development and release schedules, the remaining three months will be spent on polish and bug testing. Making sure the game doesn't crash, smoothing out any rough spots in the game's progression, etc.  Depending on how far apart these episodes are going to be spaced, "Episode 1" may already be 100% finished, bug tested, and ready for release, intentionally being held back in order to give the developers a head start on "Episode 2".

Walk Before You Run

What's really special about this teaser is that never once do you see Sonic running. That's not to say Sonic can't run, or won't run - it's about how you perceive Sonic as a character. For a long time, Sonic the Hedgehog games have been obsessed with making you go too fast - so fast that you can't see or react to oncoming obstacles. Now, don't get me wrong, Sonic the Hedgehog is most definitely "about" Speed. Speed is his defining character trait. Some of the first advertisements ever seen on American soil for the original Sega Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog dared you to "think fast". But if what Sonic Team said about Sonic Unleashed was true, Sonic runs so fast in that game, it would be like like going from the northern edge of Cyrodill in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion to the southern edge in only a couple of minutes - an act that would otherwise take more than ten times that length of time. That's a little too fast. By showing Sonic walking as the first footage of Sonic the Hedgehog 4, they are (hopefully) saying "We get it. Sonic's going to slow down a little bit." It's okay to walk.

A Taste of What's to Come

So many teasers nowadays hide special somethings within them, only visible to those obsessive enough to watch the video multiple times, frame-by-frame. 

No Caption Provided

Pause the video at the right times, and you can see images super-imposed on Sonic himself, giving a glimpse of an as-of-yet unseen level. Sonic is seen running straight up a vertical slope, grabbing on to a zip-line pulley, and there's even a glimpse of what appears to be a level tile with yellow and black caution tape on it. Now, where have we seen yellow and black caution tape like that before?

No Caption Provided

Ah, yes. And that's not all, either. Keep your eyes fixated on the text during this scene:

No Caption Provided
    Silhouetted in the text is a rotating image that is strikingly reminiscent of the Sonic the Hedgehog 1 Special Zone (trust me, it's a lot easier to see it in motion). 

No Caption Provided

In Closing

Seeing as I am a pretty big Sonic fan, am I excited for Sonic the Hedgehog 4? To be perfectly honest with you... I'd rather see more of the game before making judgment. 4 seconds of gameplay footage just isn't enough, and I've been through this enough to know better. There are certainly hints laid all throughout this that Sega might be doing something "right", but there are also a lot of hints that point to a distinct lack of creativity - Sega is, essentially, mining our nostalgia and pasting it in to a modern context verbatim. Whether or not that will be good enough remains to be seen.
    BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BlazeHedgehog

So Sega announced Sonic the Hedgehog 4

For a 50 second teaser that only shows 4 seconds of gameplay tops, it speaks volumes about what could be going on behind the scenes with the game. Like what?

The Game Is Already "Done"

Before Sega took them down, there were images on the site ( Sonicthehedgehog4.com) that declared that the game would be released July, 2010. They have been since replaced with images that say "Summer 2010" (a period of time which includes July). That's actually not to far off, especially if you consider how the act of creating and releasing a game works. It means that the developers of Sonic 4 have about 3-4 months until the game has to be submitted for Xbox Live Arcade certification. That means that, right now, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is "content complete". All the levels are in and can be finished from beginning to end. Everything in the game is already set in stone and cannot be changed. Going by traditional development and release schedules, the remaining three months will be spent on polish and bug testing. Making sure the game doesn't crash, smoothing out any rough spots in the game's progression, etc.  Depending on how far apart these episodes are going to be spaced, "Episode 1" may already be 100% finished, bug tested, and ready for release, intentionally being held back in order to give the developers a head start on "Episode 2".

Walk Before You Run

What's really special about this teaser is that never once do you see Sonic running. That's not to say Sonic can't run, or won't run - it's about how you perceive Sonic as a character. For a long time, Sonic the Hedgehog games have been obsessed with making you go too fast - so fast that you can't see or react to oncoming obstacles. Now, don't get me wrong, Sonic the Hedgehog is most definitely "about" Speed. Speed is his defining character trait. Some of the first advertisements ever seen on American soil for the original Sega Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog dared you to "think fast". But if what Sonic Team said about Sonic Unleashed was true, Sonic runs so fast in that game, it would be like like going from the northern edge of Cyrodill in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion to the southern edge in only a couple of minutes - an act that would otherwise take more than ten times that length of time. That's a little too fast. By showing Sonic walking as the first footage of Sonic the Hedgehog 4, they are (hopefully) saying "We get it. Sonic's going to slow down a little bit." It's okay to walk.

A Taste of What's to Come

So many teasers nowadays hide special somethings within them, only visible to those obsessive enough to watch the video multiple times, frame-by-frame. 

No Caption Provided

Pause the video at the right times, and you can see images super-imposed on Sonic himself, giving a glimpse of an as-of-yet unseen level. Sonic is seen running straight up a vertical slope, grabbing on to a zip-line pulley, and there's even a glimpse of what appears to be a level tile with yellow and black caution tape on it. Now, where have we seen yellow and black caution tape like that before?

No Caption Provided

Ah, yes. And that's not all, either. Keep your eyes fixated on the text during this scene:

No Caption Provided
    Silhouetted in the text is a rotating image that is strikingly reminiscent of the Sonic the Hedgehog 1 Special Zone (trust me, it's a lot easier to see it in motion). 

No Caption Provided

In Closing

Seeing as I am a pretty big Sonic fan, am I excited for Sonic the Hedgehog 4? To be perfectly honest with you... I'd rather see more of the game before making judgment. 4 seconds of gameplay footage just isn't enough, and I've been through this enough to know better. There are certainly hints laid all throughout this that Sega might be doing something "right", but there are also a lot of hints that point to a distinct lack of creativity - Sega is, essentially, mining our nostalgia and pasting it in to a modern context verbatim. Whether or not that will be good enough remains to be seen.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

Nice blog.  Never really noticed that small images on Sonic.  I hope more info is revealed soon about this game.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By sweep  Moderator

woah, a nice healthy dose of food for thought. Just you wait till they release the next trailer and you find out you have to play half the game as Tails in a helicopter at night as a warewolf. Yeah.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Willy105

That shown, Sega has not been very good at releasing finished games. No matter how good their concept for the game is, it has been ruined so many times by it being simply unfinished that it's not even funny.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne

"Summer 2010" (a period of time which includes July)

Man, thanks for that explanation, dude!
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By emkeighcameron

This is a surprisingly in-depth analysis of something I took to merely be a brief teaser trailer. Kind of conspiracy-theory level stuff going on here. I never figured Sonic to be that shifty. 

Cool stuff, all the same.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
    @Meowayne said:
    "

"Summer 2010" (a period of time which includes July)

Man, thanks for that explanation, dude! "
    I do what I can, when I can.
    halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By halberdierv2

good review of the trailer, i didnt even notice half od that stuff. just hope it doesnt bomb.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By dbz1995
    @Willy105 said:
    "  That shown, Sega has not been very good at releasing finished games. No matter how good their concept for the game is, it has been ruined so many times by it being simply unfinished that it's not even funny. "
    Maybe its a good thing, therefore, that it is episodic? Hopefully they'll spend more time on each episode. I want to know how long each episode is, however, before I think about purchasing what could be around £20 worth of Sonic games.
    SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By SamStrife

3D sonic looks awful.  I'd love the game infinitely more if it was super hi res sprite work.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ryanwho

So yeah. Just go buy Sonic Rush 1 and 2, and just move on. Dunno why you gotta set yourself up for dissapointment over and over,the fact is the level maker that made Sonic games work hasn't been with the company in over a decade. This is just going to be a rollercoaster. Press right to win, like the sidescrolling parts in Sonic Unleashed.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
    @ryanwho: I already own both of them, and they are great games. But you have to realize that making a game is a team effort. The success/failure of Sonic does not hinge simply on one man. There are a multitude of things that can go wrong during a game's production: Not enough money, not enough time, not enough people working on a project to complete all of the content before the deadline, etc. Even if Hirokazu Yasuhara (the level designer you speak of) came back, there's no guarantee that suddenly, Sonic would be good again.

However, to a certain degree, Sega is listening. There are rumors going around that after Sonic 2006, 
    Sega heavily restructured Sonic Team - basically firing or relocating everybody and starting over from scratch. Sonic Unleashed, I thought, was actually a pretty good game - on the Xbox 360, mind you. It had some problems, but it was a big step in the right direction. Most people hate it simply because they've already engendered some animosity towards Sonic (with good reason), and even if Sonic Unleashed was good, it wasn't good enough to change anybody's mind about the franchise. That's fine. I enjoyed it, and it doesn't matter who else enjoyed it.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 has the potential to be great. Sonic Team has always thrived on making shorter games. The original Sega Genesis Sonic games were usually only an hour or two long. NiGHTS was only an hour or two long. If you stripped a lot of the awful parts out of most 3D Sonic games, the "good bits" would only amount to about two hours of gameplay. In theory, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is in a prime position to reap the benefits by making a game that is only the two hours of "good stuff" while avoiding all the junk and fluff that typically clogs a Sonic game.

But we're going to have to wait and see if that is a possibility or not.
    Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    @BlazeHedgehog: I heard on the BombCast about Mr. Davis's nasty comments about Sonic the Hedgehog 4. 

Just to let you know that he's the same guy that gave the GameCube version of Sonic Heroes a 8.0 out of 10.0.
    BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
    @Kou_Leifoh said:
    " @BlazeHedgehog: I heard on the BombCast about Mr. Davis's nasty comments about Sonic the Hedgehog 4.   Just to let you know that he's the same guy that gave the GameCube version of Sonic Heroes a 8.0 out of 10.0. "
    He's also the guy who, when Jeff brought up Sonic Unleashed about a year ago, he confessed his love for the Sonic Rush games. I haven't heard the Bombcast yet, but it's sort of odd that Ryan of all people would tear in to Sonic like this.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TwoOneFive

the animation and long legged style of the sonic sucks ass 
    they should make it look more like the old.  
    team sonic just cant help it but make things look bad. 

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TwoOneFive

his spikes on his head shouldnt be so fucking long and big. it looks dumb dude.  
    and his legs are so lanky, and his shoes are so big that when he runs it looks.... slow, and like he isn't even trying.  
    and don't give me that, oh he is so fast he makes it look easy. nah, its cooler when it looks like he's trying really f-in hard. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.