Sonic the Hedgehog 4 CONFIRMED!

• 98 results
#1 Edited by takua108 (1475 posts) -
#2 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

Just saw this. I figured a 2D Sonic was what "Project Needlemouse" was going to be.

#3 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

DUDE. TEARS OF JOY.

I am so looking forward to this. 

FUCK YES

#4 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2901 posts) -

Sonic 4 Episode 1...

#5 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Cool.  But I thought it would be a full retail game; not a downloadable title.

#6 Posted by Darkstar614 (1097 posts) -

taking a page from Capcom's book...

I highly approve.

#7 Posted by Wildfire570 (719 posts) -

FINALLY! See this is what I was truly hoping for the Sonic franchise. 

Now if you'll excuse me, I must find a kleenex to wipe my tears of joy! 
Anyone else need some too?

#8 Posted by Ping5000 (385 posts) -

I'm waiting for some first-person Big the Cat fishing level, because all Sonic games deserve heavy amounts of pessimism after screwing things up for half a decade.

#9 Posted by takua108 (1475 posts) -
@Ping5000: Half a decade? It's 2010! It's been at least a decade since a good Sonic game, depending on your opinion and whether or not you like the Adventure series!
#10 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -
@SuperfluousMoniker said:
" Sonic 4 Episode 1... "
Yea that 'episode 1' thing makes me wonder if they're going to try and sell us one level at a time or something. Nice going tho, it will be interesting to see a 2D sonic game on a widescreen TV.
#11 Posted by supermike6 (3523 posts) -

Sounds cool. I don't know about the 3d graphics or the homing attack, but I am cautiously optimistic.

#12 Posted by JJOR64 (18790 posts) -

I'm curious why it's going to be episodic.

#13 Posted by SadisticApathy (28 posts) -
@Ping5000: They are saving that for the revival of Sega Marine Fishing.

Can't wait to see more of this game
#14 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2901 posts) -
@Alex_Murphy: Yeah, episodic or not I'll definitely give it a shot by virtue of  them returning to their roots. I hope this doesn't mean them ending it in a cliffhanger or something though.
#15 Posted by takua108 (1475 posts) -

The reason they're making it episodic and downloadable go hand-in-hand. From what it looks like to me, the marketing folks at SEGA still want to push out crappy new Sonic games that have "mass appeal," so the compromise for making an old-school "niche" Sonic game is that it is going to be downloadable. Also, same thing for Shadow Complex; many would balk at the idea of buying a 2D platform game for their Xbox 360.

#16 Edited by TwoOneFive (9461 posts) -

it took them 16 fucking years to finally listen? that has to be some kind of record.  
man those people are stupid.   

i would have much rathered "turbo hd remix" style updated 2D graphics but hey, this is still cool. 

#17 Posted by Jadeskye (4359 posts) -

16 years between sequels, thats gotta be approaching the record.

#18 Posted by TheHBK (5411 posts) -

This looks retarded, expecting his legs to spin together, not for it to look like he is jogging.

#19 Posted by Skogen (430 posts) -

And it only took SEGA 16 years...

I really am hoping for the best with this.

#20 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:

" I'm curious why it's going to be episodic. "

Hm...for some reason I don't think it's going to be episodic like the Telltale games, there was no indication as to when episode 2 should be expected.
Jared Rhea brings up on his twitter that the Sonic Cycle is starting all over again:

As for what I think about all this, well, I can see it going in either direction. With Bayonetta out, maybe, just maybe, 2010 will be a good year for Sega.

#21 Posted by MrKlorox (11187 posts) -

Hooray for 1080p classic revivals!

#22 Posted by Lard (262 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
More money to be made that way instead of giving people the whole game at once.
#23 Posted by upwarDBound (654 posts) -

Well, if anything it should make for a good nostalgia trip.

#24 Posted by MrKlorox (11187 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
Because calling the next one coming out a year later "Sonic 5" would tarnish the Sonic brand... and we couldn't have that could we?
#25 Posted by JJOR64 (18790 posts) -
@Apathylad said:
" @JJOR64 said:

Hm...for some reason I don't think it's going to be episodic like the Telltale games, there was no indication as to when episode 2 should be expected.
Jared Rhea brings up on his twitter that the Sonic Cycle is starting all over again:

As for what I think about all this, well, I can see it going in either direction. With Bayonetta out, maybe, just maybe, 2010 will be a good year for Sega.

"
This game does look like Sonic Rush, which was awesome, especially the sequel so hopefully this game is good.  For now I'm sticking with The Sonic Cycle.           :P
#26 Posted by goatmilk (178 posts) -

Came to post the "Sonic cycle" jpg, was beaten.

#27 Posted by MrKlorox (11187 posts) -

Saying this looks retarded, is in fact retarded. However they do need to add a motion blur to his legs.

#28 Edited by takua108 (1475 posts) -

The Sonic Cycle doesn't apply to this game, because they explicitly stated that Sonic will be the only playable character, and they heavily implied that they understood that adding new characters to games is one of the biggest complaints of fans of the old Sonic games. 

EDIT: Also, it's 2D!! Okay, well 2.5D, but watch the gameplay in the trailer! This is a new 2D Sonic game, and it earns the number 4 after it.

#29 Posted by Atomic_Tangerine (359 posts) -

I say this in every thread like this- Sonic has more problems than being in 3D.  I cannot get excited about a new version of Sonic 2.  I have played that game already, and Sega has been putting out games like this nonstop if you don't exclude handhelds.  That's cool that it is back on consoles, but this is nothing new.
#30 Posted by Lard (262 posts) -
@Atomic_Tangerine said:
" I say this in every thread like this- Sonic has more problems than being in 3D.  I cannot get excited about a new version of Sonic 2.  I have played that game already, and Sega has been putting out games like this nonstop if you don't exclude handhelds.  That's cool that it is back on consoles, but this is nothing new. "
Neither was MegaMan 9 and people ate it up.
#31 Posted by Atomic_Tangerine (359 posts) -
@Lard: 

Mega Man 9 was a return to basics.  The series had become something totally different than Mega Man 2 was back in the day.  Capcom had not made 2D Mega Man games of the same style and quality for a very long time.   I'm not saying what they did was awesome, but the length of time made it easier to stomach.

Sega, however, has been putting out Sonic games that play exactly like Sonic 2 or 3 since those games came out.  Sonic Advance even had a mode where Tails follows Sonic exactly like Sonic 2.  Saying this game will be a return to form is ignoring the dozen or so 2D Sonic games Sega has been pumping out that many fans just ignore.
#32 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

I hope they tweak his movement a bit, doesn't look quite right, but the 2D graphics are fine with me.

#33 Posted by takua108 (1475 posts) -
@Diamond: It's the feet. They don't blur into a spinning red-and-white oval in the video shown. I hope they fix this before release; the least they could do would be to put some crazy motion blur trail effects around his feet or something.
#34 Posted by Demigonis (192 posts) -

Please please please please please please let this break the cycle.

#35 Posted by Willy105 (4687 posts) -
@Demigonis said:
" Please please please please please please let this break the cycle. "
Haters will find a way to add it there. For example, Sonic having green eyes and a homing attack in this game is already causing flash mobs in lower Arkansas.
#36 Posted by Demigonis (192 posts) -
@Willy105: Sonic has a homing attack in this game? I didn't read that part anywhere.

If it turns out he does I honestly don't care as long as it's a solid game that plays to the series core strengths, has fun gameplay, and just the right amount of nostalgia.
#37 Posted by Soap (3530 posts) -

This game has potential, I really don't like the way he looks though... he looks more like the modern sonic of failure rather than the classic sonic design I love. I'm not saying that he should be a 2D sprite, but he should at least not look like the lanky spikey little prick he looks like now.

#38 Posted by Willy105 (4687 posts) -
@Soap said:
" This game has potential, I really don't like the way he looks though... he looks more like the modern sonic of failure rather than the classic sonic design I love. I'm not saying that he should be a 2D sprite, but he should at least not look like the lanky spikey little prick he looks like now. "
He seems to be a 2D sprite, actually. The new Sonic doesn't go well in this game, but not because it's the modern Sonic design (nothing wrong with that_ but because it's odd seeing a 3D-like Sonic model in a 2D game. The Sonic Advance and Rush games were hand-drawn or cel-shaded, this one is pre-rendered from a 3D model.
#39 Edited by Demigonis (192 posts) -
@Soap: I actually like the "modern" look of Sonic now, it seems like a pretty natural progression of added detail to me. From the super quick teaser the only thing I take issue with is the running animation. I do think they need to speed it up, or make it more like the Sonic2/Sonic3 running animations where his legs blurred into an oval-shape. They could look at Super Smash Bros Brawl for inspiration if necessary, I thought they did his running animation well in that.

Also, lets remember that the only reason we could call him the "Sonic of failure" is because the games have been garbage recently, not due to any changes in Sonic's character design, but to bad gameplay and an overall loss of focus on what Sonic is and what makes it great.

@Willy105: The teaser is quick, but to me it looks like it's all done in 3D on a 2D plane.
#40 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Nothing will make me excited for a Sonic game anymore. But I'll give it a chance when it comes out.

#41 Posted by Sanj (2242 posts) -

Awesome, thankyou SEGA. Don't fuck this up.
#42 Posted by Bombs_Away (1010 posts) -

Luckily for me I've ignored every Sonic game since Sonic 3D on the MegaDrive. This is the first time in years that I've actually bothered about a new Sonic game, it will be amazing, it must be amazing!

#43 Edited by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

As a Sonic fan, I am not impressed by what I see. Sonic's running animation has lost all of it's classic charm, and been replaced with a new animation which looks like utter shit. Those at Sonic Team remain consistent in their continual destruction of all things that made Sonic cool, a long time ago. I don't even like the graphics I see, the recent HD homebrew game on PC looks much better than this.  

There's not a Sonic game I don't own, so I will likely get this, even though this looks to be well of the mark, as far as I'm concerned. I expected much better from this game...I also dislike this episodic format...

#44 Posted by Kou_Leifoh (1891 posts) -

Pulling a Mega Man 9, I'm not liking this.

#45 Posted by Karmum (11509 posts) -

It's about time, and I cannot wait.

#46 Posted by jakob187 (21514 posts) -

I'll reserve judgment until I play a demo...or when that fucking trailer is actually working.  Regardless of that, I have to say it... 

FUCK YEAH!!!  SONIC 4!!!  FINALLY!!!  JESUS CHRIST, I NEVER THOUGHT SEGA WOULD GET ANY FUCKING LOGIC IN THEIR STUPID HEADS!!! 

With that said...Sega has a good year ahead of them already, if their lineup is any indication.  Let's hope they don't fuck it up.

#47 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -
@Lard said:
" @JJOR64 said:
More money to be made that way instead of giving people the whole game at once. "
More pesimistic views on DLC? 

The first episode is going to contain eight levels, and the seven chaos emeralds, the same as the old Sonic games.  The later episodes will contain the same amount, until we end up with something the size of a full retail game (and assuming each episode is 800 points, the same price as one).  Releasing them episodically just means they can get the first part out to keep people busy, while they're working on the later parts.  It's worked great for games like Tales of Monkey Island - instead of using it as a means of "making more money", they used it to really benefit the game.  It definitely wouldn't have been the same if it were released as one big thing.
#48 Posted by ObsideonDarman (634 posts) -
@Lard said:
" @Atomic_Tangerine said:
" I say this in every thread like this- Sonic has more problems than being in 3D.  I cannot get excited about a new version of Sonic 2.  I have played that game already, and Sega has been putting out games like this nonstop if you don't exclude handhelds.  That's cool that it is back on consoles, but this is nothing new. "
Neither was MegaMan 9 and people ate it up. "

True... very True
#49 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -

Part of the reason they are making it downloadable is likely consumer unwillingness to pay full price for 2d games now that Xbla exists. It's stupid, I know, but i bet even tetris couldn't get a full retail release if someone invented it today. Also i am super excited. And no im not a delusional fan. I know alot of the recent games have been bad. But no amount of bad new games will make me not like sonic. Sonic 1 through Sonic and knucles were really good, and nothing will make them not good.  I'll allways be excited for new traditional sonic games.

#50 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7612 posts) -
@Atomic_Tangerine said:

Sega, however, has been putting out Sonic games that play exactly like Sonic 2 or 3 since those games came out.  Sonic Advance even had a mode where Tails follows Sonic exactly like Sonic 2.  Saying this game will be a return to form is ignoring the dozen or so 2D Sonic games Sega has been pumping out that many fans just ignore. "

You're kidding right?  "Exactly like Sonic 2/3" except for the speed they played at, stupid special moves and attrocious level design that relied almost soley on trial and error?  There wasn't a single point in Sonic 1, 2 or 3 where you'd be killed just because you don't know the layout of the level.  All of the Rush and Advance games were very poorly designed.

Judging by the trailer here..  It seems a lot more like the classic games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.