Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 07, 2010

A Sonic Team and Dimps co-production, Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I is the first part of the next numeric chapter (though really the twenty-sixth entry) in the adventures of Sega's longtime mascot.

The physics are crap. Feels and plays nothing like the first 3

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TwoOneFive

QUE RANT 

Unbelievable.  

and this image says it all 
      Fuck that shit.  

We wanted old school sonic with cool hd graphics. That's it. 

Instead you add all the shit that nobody liked in the past 15 years.  

The game feels like shit.  

It felt spot on in the old games. You could go full speed, jump exactly into the rings you wanted, and keep going.  
    In this game, sonic is (first off looks stupid all tall and lanky and has a flat face with giant saggy spikes) slow as shit like he has bricks in his shoes, then the level design is terrible, when you jump its like you slow down and lose all control, and then there's the god awful "we don't feel like making a proper level design" homing-attack that makes the entire point of a 2D platformer pointless. ughhhh. I hate team sonic and their moronic/talentless employees.  

This game is but a huge insult to the original sonic games that we all know and love.  they basically tried to copy the levels looks, create nothing new, add a bunch of crappy stuff nobody liked in the first place, 

Theres no new, imaginative locales.  just poor copied stuff from the old games and poorly executed. In the old sonic games, you'd always LOOK FORWARD to what was next. Because each time it would be totally new and different and be full of all kinds of new and interesting things unique to only that level. its present in this game obviously, but thats only because its all copied and pasted from before and nothing new.  

I remember seeing new things in the old games for the first time and thinking, WOW that was such a cool idea. liikke for instance, running into pipes and then getting tranported someplace. or running full speed on top of a screw to go up and down depending on wether you run left or right. COOL! nothing new here. just lazy ass development plus the same old "SONIC CYCLE" of advertising. 

Last, but not least, THE MUSIC IS TRASH. Its just loud, fast paced annoying synthesizers and tecno beats that are entirely forgettable. what happen to classic catchy songs like this: 

snaptroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By snaptroll

I agree completely. Team Sonic just replaced the whole mechanic of forward momentum with a button you mash to go faster. Crap game. 

How can they continue to fuck up Sonic? It blows my mind.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hitchenson

Just as expected then.

ChillyUK7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ChillyUK7

"We wanted old school sonic with cool hd graphics. That's it."  
    "Theres no new, imaginative locales.  just poor copied stuff from the old games and poorly executed.  "  
    Make your mind up, btw I like the homing attack, it keeps the game at a high speed and Sonic isn't like many other 2D platformers, most are slow but Sonic obviously isn't, if you don't think the homing attack keeps Sonic fast which is pretty much the whole point of a Sonic game then watch this

OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By OneManX
    @ChillyUK7 said:
    "

"We wanted old school sonic with cool hd graphics. That's it."  
    "Theres no new, imaginative locales.  just poor copied stuff from the old games and poorly executed.  "  
    Make your mind up, btw I like the homing attack, it keeps the game at a high speed and Sonic isn't like many other 2D platformers, most are slow but Sonic obviously isn't, if you don't think the homing attack keeps Sonic fast which is pretty much the whole point of a Sonic game then watch this

"
    I think what he was getting a is that Sonic hasn't had it's "New Super Mario bros Wii" moment yet. 

Retro game, with some new tricks but still feels fresh...
    s0ck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By s0ck

I totally agree with your post. 

SEGA should just sell the hedgehog to Nintendo and be done with it, 
    Clearly they no longer lack the skills required to make a decent 2d platformer.
    Kokoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kokoro

I honestly do not have a problem with the physics. It really seems that Sonic fans these days can't be pleased.  So what if the physics are a little different. Look at New Super Mario Bros. Wii. The physics on that are different and I don't see anyone complaining about that. And what the big deal about the homing attack? If you don't like it, you can just not use it.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zityz

I find that Sonic 1 is hard to play now a days. It doesn't hold up as well as like sonic 2 does. Also aside from Starlight and scrapbrain zone. Sonic 1 music SUCKS.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By toowalrus

Sonic 3 was pretty shitty too. Sonic really only had 2 good games, and they're not worth going back and playing anymore, to me anyway.

ShadowMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By ShadowMountain
    @Kokoro: Sonis 1, 2 and 3 had different physics. Regardless they still felt good. Sonic 4's physcis FEEL wrong. As a child I picked up the old sonics and it just felt right. When you pick up sonic 4 it just feels off. 

NSMB's physics are different from older marios but they still feel right.
    ShadowMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By ShadowMountain

ALSO: boss design was lazy and cheap. The last boss takes way too many hits but with little skill. Then all of a sudden it does this cheap attack and you have to hit him right away or else you'll die.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zityz
    @ShadowMountain said:
    " ALSO: boss design was lazy and cheap. The last boss takes way too many hits but with little skill. Then all of a sudden it does this cheap attack and you have to hit him right away or else you'll die.   
    Haha. Yea this is the reason why I didn't buy the game. I saw the first boss and thought " Wait. why are you fighting the first Robotnik machine from the first game?" and thought yep, pure lazyness right there. Then I found out its only 4 levels and thought "yea no thanks" 

It turns out they're all rehashes of shit you already fought. Think about it. If you were a bad guy and your shit didn't work, why redo the same machines later down the road as if its going to work. Last true good sonic game was CD. I hear colours is good but thanks sonic team but no thanks at this point.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CptBedlam
    @TwoOneFive: Completely agree.

You should try that Fan-Remake that was released a few weeks ago. They did what SEGA wasn't able to do.
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By fox01313

Team Sonic fails to understand that evolution requires a lot more iterations, successful mutations & mistakes learned for it all to work (they're off to a start but I think that the bulk of fans have moved on). Then again look at who you're expecting some kind of gaming breakthrough from, despite trying to bring new life to the franchise & desparately clinging to a franchise where most others from the time the Genesis was big have gone away, all the fans want is more of the first game. That's where the dischord is at, the fans want the same as the first few games while the developers want to evolve it all. I think it's probably best that the fans just stick with the Genesis/Sonic collections put out to everywhere & the developers move on to something else as it's clear they're beating a dead horse so much it stops looking like a horse so time to get a new horse (alive or dead) to continue. Sometimes it's better to let the franchise stop with some dignity left in it before we're looking at Sonic 23 episode 1 of 55.

Kokoro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kokoro
    @ShadowMountain said:
    " @Kokoro: Sonis 1, 2 and 3 had different physics. Regardless they still felt good. Sonic 4's physcis FEEL wrong. As a child I picked up the old sonics and it just felt right. When you pick up sonic 4 it just feels off.   NSMB's physics are different from older marios but they still feel right. "
    Yeah, they had different physics, but I didn't really mind the physics in this game either. I still think it's a great game.
    BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By BombKareshi

This forum topic is VERY OLD. I know, but I didn't want to start another one just to say this. I only played Sonic 4 for the first time today. I waited to get it super-cheap because I knew it wouldn't live up, but thought it might be a fun pass-time anyway.

There is nothing fun about this game.

Not only are the physics crap compared to the classics, they're just plain fucked up in general.

• Jumping inexplicably resets your momentum.
    • Sonic can stand horizontally on walls.
    • The fastest thing alive is slow as crap.

And it's not pretty either.

• Sonic is fugly and his animations are ridiculously bad.
    • Screw Sonic, all the animations look awkward and forced.
    • The game runs in 1920x1080 but they couldn't bother to anti-alias their crap-looking Sonic.

It's almost hilarious, but when the game crashed and I was glad to be rid of it, I actually felt sad. Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.