How did Sonic games become horrible?

• 74 results
#51 Posted by ajamafalous (11862 posts) -

Being a huge Sonic fan (and still a huge Sonic fan), I mark Sonic Heroes as the turning point. Sonic Adventure 2 was the last Sonic game I enjoyed (barring the Sonic Advance games; don't remember when those came out relative to SA2).

#52 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

it was because the games started doing the same thing just different platform. sega didn't know what to do with the game so they decided to add more characters into the game. the only good sonic games were the ones that were 2D. the last one that i played was adventures 2 for the gamecube. it was a horrible game. the only great levels were when you played as sonic. knuckles was a badass character, that had to find gems.... that level started getting boring.

#53 Posted by jackbag (209 posts) -
@FreakAche said:
" The people saying that Sonic games are just about holding right and jumping every once and a while have obviously never played past the first level in a Sonic game. "
Pretty sure that's how I've gotten through every sonic game I've ever played. 

Unless there were some levels I'm forgetting about where you had to hold left instead of right.
#54 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6186 posts) -

Yuji Naka left Sonic Team. Because of that = Furry relationship.

#55 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10518 posts) -

To be perfectly honest, all Sonic games are bad. Even the old ones that everyone loves. I think it's just a case of people playing the games in their younger days, thinking they were great, and then realizing that there's not much to them aside from holding up/right (depending on 3D or 2D) and occasionally jumping. Jeff seems to have come to this conclusion (at least based on the recent Quick Look).  

And I'm no different, I have a bunch of Sonic games, including the Adventure ones, a couple of the GBA/DS, and even a GameCube compilation of the old ones from the Genesis games. And to be honest, the only ones that still seem a little fun (to me anyway) are the GBA/DS ones. 

#56 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11486 posts) -

Sonic Adventure happened. Then Sonic Adventure 2 happened.

#57 Posted by LackingSaint (1772 posts) -

The feeling of going from full-speed to a fullstop has always been something I really dislike, so really Sonic has never appealed to me. I honestly think Sega should try treating Sonic as more of a driving game than a platformer; it suits the basic premise of momentum way better.

#58 Edited by OneManX (1681 posts) -

Sonic just may be a concept that can't be recreated in 3D. Not to compare it to Mario, but Sonic has never had it's "Mario 64" moment where this concept can be proven to work in full 3D. It looks like Colors bucks that trend, but with just SO MANY just meh games it's hard for most gamer to give Sonic that 2nd chance.

#59 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Sonic was good?

#60 Posted by tsolless (465 posts) -

Reason number one is that sonic was never that great to start off with. Nostalgia is a bitch for trying to revive franchises.
It should have been ended a long time ago when people got tired of the concept but they kept making more games and since they stopped selling as well, they tried, unsuccessfully, to change the game up causing it to become worse. 
Franchises just die sometimes.

#61 Edited by FireBlade (1 posts) -

@mysteriousbob: The sonic adventure series was the best games sega ever made

#62 Posted by Hailinel (23928 posts) -

@mysteriousbob: The sonic adventure series was the best games sega ever made

Barring the fact that you just bumped a three-year-old conversation, if you truly think that the Sonic Adventure games are the best games Sega ever made (and Sega has made a lot of games), I think it'd be best if you provided some insight as to why that's the case, because from where I stand, that's just not true. Particularly given that Sonic Adventure 2 ranks pretty highly on my own personal list of worst games I've ever played simply because those emerald hunt stages with Knuckles and Rouge are beyond frustrating and abysmal. Even if you were to remove those stages, the rest of the game wouldn't be that great.

#63 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5117 posts) -

I liked Sonic Generations and Adventure Battle 2. Those were the only modern ones I liked though.

#64 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2320 posts) -

The Knuckles stages in Sonic Adventure 2 are the only good thing about a Sonic game, ever.

The Tails stages were the ones that actually sucked.

#65 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11486 posts) -

Ha! I will stick to the comment I made 3 years ago. The transition to 3D ruined Sonic, assuming sonic was ever actually good in the first place.

#66 Posted by Hailinel (23928 posts) -

The Knuckles stages in Sonic Adventure 2 are the only good thing about a Sonic game, ever.

How in the almighty actual fuck is that even possible? Those stages are the worst thing about SA2. The controls. The time limit. The entire gem-hunting mechanic. The maps. Everything about those stages is terrible.

#67 Posted by Vuud (1943 posts) -

I don't think Sonic games were any good to begin with. Sorry but them's the fax, guys.

#68 Edited by SteamRickroller (250 posts) -

WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

#69 Posted by crithon (3081 posts) -

we are at the halfway marks of the sonic cycle, and this one doesn't seems to be hyping up the fanboys as much as previous attempts did. And there is still another "Sonic Teams" Sonic game in development, so who knows if this cycle will go on forever?

#70 Posted by gkhan (417 posts) -

I think the smartest thing that's ever been said about Sonic was said by Griffin McElroy on The Besties podcast a while ago: it's a series of games where you always feel like you're playing them wrong. Every time I play them (the early ones, anyway), I always get the sense that there was an amazing game in there somewhere, but because I was fucking up, I was never seeing it. When you finally realize that it's not you who are bad at Sonic games, it's that the Sonic games are not very good, you stop liking this series. The first games were never that good, guys, they just tricked our infantile brains into thinking that they were good and that we were bad at them.

#71 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2212 posts) -

For me it was when I played Sonic and the Secret Rings for the Wii that I was turned off by the series and the DS releases did nothing for me. I really liked Sonic Advance 3 for the GBA but that was the last Sonic game I enjoyed and as for my personal aesthetic tastes I really don't like the modern look for Sonic and prefer his 1992 look.

#72 Posted by Snail (8584 posts) -

@gkhan: You are wrong. The handheld games (Sonic Advance, Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Advance 3, Sonic Rush, and Sonic Rush Adventure) are great games. All of those (perhaps barring the latter one), were met with unanimous critical praise and commercial success.

I personally enjoyed the heck out of everyone of those. They are a ton of fun, and embody that ideal pick-up-play-and-have-fun ethos you want out of handheld games. Sonic Rush is probably my favorite of the bunch - there is literally a "go-fast-and-break-everything" button.

#73 Posted by Lyisa (328 posts) -

I liked the genesis sonic games, and thought some parts of adventure and adventure 2 were alright, but they definitely don't hold up very well today. I haven't actually played a sonic game since, though. As a character I don't find him very nostalgic and mostly just remember fondly being a 6 year old kid at the time that the first games were coming out. As a franchise its turned into something way different from what I would want out of a sonic game.

Also, the tails/robotnick and rouge/knuckles levels in adventure 2 were poorly conceived at the time, much less now. From memory they barely even worked right.

#74 Edited by icybankz (34 posts) -

They were doing good until Sonic Heroes came out. They started to flop, then tried to patch it with Sonic Colors and Generations, tbh they were going to the right path. Then Sonic: Lost worlds happened and destroyed the build up. Sonic Team better start being creative and stop copying other games...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.