Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic the Hedgehog

Franchise »

The Sonic series features the platforming legend and Sega's mascot, Sonic The Hedgehog, and spans countless titles both 2D and 3D featuring a variety of gameplay styles, as well as spinoff titles including racers, pinball, fighters, and even a party game.

How would you make a Sonic game?

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mushir

Alright, lets say that you get chosen to make a Sonic game. How would make that game?

I would make it like a 2,5D game. It would be a sidescroller like the old games, but with new graphics. Making them look old, but at the same time new and fresh, kinda like SF4.

The gameplay would be simple and responsive. No weapons or stupid gimmicks. A sonic game IMO doesn't need that.

I would personally not focus so much on the story. They usually just turn out like crap and the old Sonic games were all about speed, so I think that story isn't a big part of the Sonic franchise. Hey just look at Mario games. Bad stories but awesome games.

Just some stuff I was thinking of the other day. Making a Sonic game shouldn't be hard and Im sure any Sonic fan could come up with a better Sonic game than what the guys over at SEGA do.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

No they couldn't.

ishotmrburns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By ishotmrburns

I wouldn't get Sonic Team to help, that's for sure.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Mushir
    Al3xand3r said:
    "No they couldn't."
    How do you know? The Sonic games that come out today are crap. No matter what you say. I know its about opinion but they have stuff in them that are so unnecessary. Sonic does not need a sword. He doesn't need to turn into a werewolf. People are begging for a new 2D sonic but the guys over at SEGA don't give a shit.
    Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Disgaeamad

PSN/Xbox LIVE/WiiWare release with some enhanced 2D graphics, and a focus on the combination of speed and platforming, much like the Mega Drive games.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
    Twilight said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    "No they couldn't."
    How do you know? The Sonic games that come out today are crap. No matter what you say. I know its about opinion but they have stuff in them that are so unnecessary. Sonic does not need a sword. He doesn't need to turn into a werewolf. People are begging for a new 2D sonic but the guys over at SEGA don't give a shit.
    "

FIrst of all who exactly is begging for a 2D Sonic game?  Secondly, there are some on the DS that have come out in the last couple of years.  Last of all, if anything Sonic didn't turn into a big enough of a werewolf.  Could you imagine how great it could have been had Sonic just been a bigger werewolf?  The answer: very great.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I refer you to this quote,
    AnimZero said:

"CAPS LOCK, GO!
    SONIC DOES NOT WIELD A SWORD.
    SONIC DOES NOT TURN INTO A WEREWOLF.
    SONIC DOES NOT SHOOT GUNS AT SHIT.
    SONIC DOES NOT EMBARK ON MINIGAME SHITQUESTS BY TALKING TO NPCS.
    SONIC RUNS FAST AND COLLECTS RINGS AND BEATS THE SHIT OUT OF EGGMAN
    ....Really, how hard is it?"
    It's so true, and so funny.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I'd make it a sequel to Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. The storyline would be that Sonic, and every character in the sonic universe has been imprisoned by L.O.G. due to their suckyness. Banjo & Kazooie think he's done a terrible thing and embark on a mission to get enough jiggies to save them. The gameplay would be faithfull to the original N&B. At the very end, when they have enough jiggies, they're about to rescue all the sonic characters, when L.O.G. brutally murders them all, using a troop of chainsaw wielding maniacs.

And sonic & co are dead forever. And you didn't have to play another sucky sonic game to see them die. Perfect.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By kush

It's simple...I'd make a 2D game in HD. There is no need for complication. I would just take the time to create and bunch of great levels and possibly add a level creator so people could create and share their own levels. There would be plenty of other things to do in a new game, but those are the basics for me.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

Would also like to note people use Black Knight's IGN review as the excuse to say ALL recent Sonic games are crap. If you trust that reviewer, then you should agree in that Secret Rings was a decent game and could be great with simple improvements to the formula rather than denounce everything that's been done in recent years.

I checked and he scored Unleashed even better actually (7.2) so what I said above, apply it to that also. So which is it, do people trust Matt or just jump @ his last review because they happen to agree (without playing the game)?

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Karmum

I probably would not, I'd might just let it die. If I didn't do that, I'd go about making a remake of one of the older Sonic games.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Diamond

2 rules that would basically make the games good again :

1. Slow Sonic down.  Compare to the Genesis games to how fast he moves in Unleashed.  He moves about 10 times faster than he ever used to.  I know he's supposed to be fast, and it's fun to go fast, but even looking down a level like a road you can clear hundreds of feet in less than a second.  Imagine racing through GTA4's cities at 2000mph?

2. No extra crap whatsoever.  Only Sonic levels you run through, one after another.  No cutscenes, no other characters, no hub world, no quicktime boss battles, NOTHING ELSE.

The problem with point 2 is people expect 10+ hour games these days, the old SNES/Genesis standard of games that can be beaten in an hour or two is not possible to sell these days, even as a downloaded game.  Games used to take longer because when you made mistakes you were set back a lot.  This is also not possible to do anymore.  People complained about Bionic Commando Rearmed and that game had infinite continues!  Really only something like Mega Man 9 compares (but that game's difficulty isn't well enough designed).

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#13  Edited By Dimsey

Just do what they did on the genesis/megadrive/whatever, but prettier. Get rid of any human character that isn't Robotnik. Go back to calling Eggman Robotnik while you're at it.
    If they can't do that then they should just put the old fellow down, save for (maybe) cross over appearances in Mario games. I didn't mind Mario and Sonic at the Olympics or him being in Smash Bros.
    A platformer with both Mario and Sonic would be nice, but I'd be content to just let Sonic become a character in the various Mario spinoffs. Golf, Mario Party, Tennis, whatever.

Ummm... Yeah.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.