Possible 2D, HD XBLA/PSN Sonic Games?

#1 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

This isn't confirmation by any means, but just the fact that they are considering the idea has me pumped. I would love to see this come true and would even pay $60 for a retail copy of all the previous 2D games (DS duo included) upgraded in HD.

Linkage of Possible Awesomeness.

Nishiyama: There's always the possibility. Whether it would be viable remains to be seen, but having a new game - or even a remake of the GBA games, which we now can't use [thanks to the DSi] - would certainly be possible. If we made one, would you buy it?

Me: [nods]

Nishiyama: Really?

Me: [nods]

Nishiyama: [laughs] Great! One of our ideas has been that on older consoles, you may have had only 16 colours. One thing we could do is make a game like Mega Man 9; do a new Sonic, but in an old style.

#2 Posted by pause422 (6182 posts) -

I kinda assumed this a while ago, just had no idea when it would end up happening..its not like it would be all that hard, but I would totally be real psyched for this..those were the only good sonic games..well 1 and 2 at least.

#3 Posted by PhilSebben (120 posts) -

If the sprites and backgrounds were redrawn in HD then it sounds cool.

#4 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

I'd love to play the old school Sonic games again with some update HD sprites. I even like the idea of doing like Mega Man 9 and just going back old school.

#5 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

I have lost track of the amount of times I have voiced my opinions on wanting a new (proper) 2D Sonic. I don't see how there is a question here in why they are not making one, its what the fans want and the original sonic games sold very well on VC and XBLA.

#6 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -
suneku said:
"I'd love to play the old school Sonic games again with some update HD sprites. I even like the idea of doing like Mega Man 9 and just going back old school."
Yea...I think a MM9 type sequel could be pretty cool too. Sega used to be great, key word being "used" ...so why not go back to what made them great right!
#7 Posted by AaronBelfast (1491 posts) -
Kush said:
"Sega used to be great, key word being "used" ...so why not go back to what made them great right!"
Sorry Kush but wrong. If anything, they're coming back...

• Valkyria Chronicles
  • Madworld
  • Yakuza 3
#8 Edited by Vaxadrin (2297 posts) -

NOOOOO.  Large pixels are gross.

Just make a new HD 2d or 3d Sonic game that doesn't suck ass.

Come on, it can't be that hard.  Just get someone other than Sonic Team to do it.

I hate you Sonic Team.  Repeatedly fucking my childhood in the ass. ;_;

#9 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -
AaronBelfast said:
"Sorry Kush but wrong. If anything, they're coming back...

• Valkyria Chronicles
  • Madworld
  • Yakuza 3
"
I know that they are coming back and I'm a huge supporter, but they're not there yet.
#10 Posted by albedos_shadow (1485 posts) -

God, I hope this is true.

#11 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

I'd rather it be pure Genesis Blast-Processing Graphics than HD, like Mega Man 9.  Oh, and in Sonic's world, not the real world.  And without Sonic's shitty friends.  And without guns.  And without branching storylines.  And without gimmicks.

Pretty much everything Sonic games aren't right now.

#12 Edited by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -
AaronBelfast said:
"Kush said:
"Sega used to be great, key word being "used" ...so why not go back to what made them great right!"
Sorry Kush but wrong. If anything, they're coming back...

• Valkyria Chronicles
  • Madworld
  • Yakuza 3
"
Madworld is only published by SEGA though right? I don't know how much of a hand SEGA have in Platinum Games but I just presumed they were their publisher.

I don't see anything in those three titles that even suggests to me SEGA are back. I can't comment on Valkyria because it's just not the type of game I'd buy anyway but I can say that great as Yakuza 3 looks (and even if it is a spiritual successor) I'd take Shenmue 3 EVERY single time. Like - EVERY time. Where the hell is Yu Suzuki these days?

I'm a SEGA fanboy. Full stop. Unlike this modern breed of fanboys I'm not scared to admit it. And that means I expect the very best from my favourite company. We haven't even been close to that since the Dreamcast. I'm sorry but it's fact as much as it saddens me to say it.

But if we're talking about Sonic it seems like a no-brainer to either do a Mega Man 9 style new adventure (working with Genesis/Mega Drive) style technology OR to upscale the original Sonic games. Sonic CD might be a good one to bring into HD - not only is it one of the Sonic games that hasn't been widely played (because of the platform it originated on) it's also one of the best Sonic titles.

Like I've said in other topics - next-gen Sonic games should just be 2.5D style games with mental amounts of shit going off on screen in HD. I KNOW SEGA can pull it off so I don't know why they seem so adamant to mix it up all the time.

My only saving grace is the hope that they ARE reading topics like this and listening to the fans.
#13 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -
KingBroly said:
"I'd rather it be pure Genesis Blast-Processing Graphics than HD, like Mega Man 9.  Oh, and in Sonic's world, not the real world.  And without Sonic's shitty friends.  And without guns.  And without branching storylines.  And without gimmicks.

Pretty much everything Sonic games aren't right now."
I noticed you didn't say "without beastiality" ...that is quite telling eh?
#14 Posted by Illmatic (1358 posts) -

I'm not so excited over a remake, but as far as doing what Mega Man 9 did and making a game in that style, that sounds cool. Only problem is after replaying those old Sonic games recently, I realized how much I loathed the latter levels of the game. I think a lot of people's memories of the game is composed of that one first level theme and the first few seconds of run to the right before we were stopped by contact with the first enemy. Speed wasn't as high an emphasis as I remembered.

#15 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -
Nishiyama: [laughs] Great! One of our ideas has been that on older consoles, you may have had only 16 colours. One thing we could do is make a game like Mega Man 9; do a new Sonic, but in an old style.

Just hearing him say that is great news. That just reminds me of how I can't wait to get my hands on MM9 after beating MM 2-6 (MM1 is still impossible) a few weeks ago.

ANYWAY, hopefully they can go back to having the best level design around like Sonic The Hedgehog 2 had.
#16 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

Fuck yes. Please Sega, spare us the Sonic shit.

#17 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -

Agreed to the max.

#18 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

I'd love to see it

#19 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -

You people like the idea of going back to the old school?

Vector matrix graphics?

REALLY?!

Sorry, I want HD-quality 2D setups...not old school style.  Slowdown was something to be expected out of a game like Mega Man...but Sonic is all about speed.  No, ma'am/sir, I want me some prime, grade A 2D Sonic action...just like my mom continues to play....and excel at beyond any of my own capabilities.  =  (
#20 Posted by gunswordfist (576 posts) -
daniel_beck_90 said:
"I'd love to see it"

Me too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.