Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic the Hedgehog

Franchise »

The Sonic series features the platforming legend and Sega's mascot, Sonic The Hedgehog, and spans countless titles both 2D and 3D featuring a variety of gameplay styles, as well as spinoff titles including racers, pinball, fighters, and even a party game.

The Sad, Bad World of Sonic the Hedgehog's 25th Anniversary Party

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Facing a dimly-lit sea of diehard gamers, two men press "play" on a Macbook. The speakers pulse to Sonic music with a bassy drum beat tacked onto it, but it's not the classic Green Hill or Industrial Zone tracks I know, it's generic sugar pop that I can only guess comes from the more recent Sonic games or at the very least sounds like it does. Sometimes there's no sound at all, as the audio keeps cutting into silence or forces itself to only the left or right channel, but the one thing that doesn't go away is a dull, droning buzz which serves as a bedrock to all the other sound. This was the Sonic the Hedgehog 25th Anniversary Party and it was more of a shitshow than we ever could have hoped for; a digital conveyor belt ferrying technical snafus, surreal detours, and uncomfortable presentation.

No Caption Provided

I want to emphasise that the audio faults weren't a momentary lapse in the show, they continued through at least a third of it and accompanying the drawn-out opening act was a stoic Sonic mascot that throughout the evening was slowly led on-stage and off-stage by his hand like he was gravely ill. Our special blue boy was only capable of that stiff, unvaried dancing that people in mascot costumes are limited to and at a couple of points he did the macarena to the Sonic music. Eventually, the incurably upbeat twinklepop stopped and a disembodied Dr. Robotnik voice introduced a Sonic PR guy probably best known for helping run the associated Twitter account. I almost didn't catch any of this because the audio hum was louder than Robotnik and eventually rose to an ear-destroying volume before the sound was muted entirely.

Both Robotnik and the Twitter Man mentioned memes and early on in this segment the Twitter Man talked about Totino's Stuffed Nachos, hinting at the possibility of an upcoming video based around Totino's Stuffed Nachos on the Sonic YouTube channel. Here is a tweet where Sonic is enjoying Totino's Stuffed Nachos backstage. Twitter Man also boasted about the show's Honda Civic, painted up with Sonic colours and artwork. Not a Ferrari or a Subaru, a Honda Civic. He then proceeded to list off the contents of the attendees' goodie bags while the screen behind him displayed the words "Collector's Swag". After this, the Chief Brand Officer of Sonic was welcomed into the ceremony in preparation for what we'd all been waiting for, the reveal of a whole new Sonic game.

No Caption Provided

The trailer they played introduced Sonic Mania, a title which mildly remixes the levels of the original Sonic games and comes with some new zones in a graphical style similar to Sonic 3. During the trailer, the spiny attitude rodent acted as a ball in a giant lottery machine and got into a shady-looking van. This part of the night probably sounds like it didn't go drastically wrong in any way, but over the reveal trailer we heard the Twitter Man trying to placate the crowd, promising them that they'd be shown new content any second now. The end of the video resembled the Yoshi's Island title screen for some reason and then the stream went black before the trailer was played over from about 10 seconds in.

After two good runs of the video, a couple of Sonic Team devs were brought up, including Takashi Iizuka, current head of the studio. When Twitter Man asked Iizuka where the premise for the new game came from Iizuka started rattling off a generic back-of-the-box description of the title. Fortunately, the edge was taken off by the audio issues starting to clear up and someone in the crowd yelling that Big the Cat should be in the game. There is a kind of comedy logic to the concept of Sonic Mania: Gamers complained time after time that the recent Sonic games were too distant from the original experiences and so Sega decided "Fuck it, we'll just do some moderate alterations to original Sonic and release that as a new game".

No Caption Provided

Most events would have ended after getting a new game out in the open, but not the Sonic 25th Anniversary Party, as we continued onto more musical guests. This time, Jun Senoue and Johnny Gioeli of Crush 40. The back of Gioeli's jacket had a tattered American flag sewn into it, that classic Sonic iconography. Another interesting fashion choice came from a starry-eyed audience member with a Sonic hat that looked like he'd ripped off Sonic's lower jaw and placed the rest of Sonic's head atop his own like a macabre hunting trophy.

As for the music, the mini-concert included the Sonic Free Riders Theme and a track from Shadow the Hedgehog before skirting into some Crush tracks not specifically written for games. At one point Gioeli tried to reference the lyrics to the Sonic Heroes Theme but got them a bit wrong, at another point, a Crush 40 track dipped into the slightly racy so you had a man yelling "Like a junkie! Like a tease!" into a mic as the guy next to him shredded away on a guitar with a Sonic decal across it. The headstock on the guitar was Sonic's foot which was mildly disturbing in a sort of body horror way. This half of Crush 40 (Crush 20?) tried to play an encore but the video for Live and Learn wouldn't immediately start and Gioeli was forced to stall for time. Stalling included laying down on the floor and thanking God.

No Caption Provided

After all the 40 had been well and truly crushed, the Twitter Man returned and talked about Totino's again. A heartfelt moment in the night finally came when they played a video of character designer Naoto Oshima talking about Sonic as a son-like figure for himself but this was ruined almost immediately by a hot mic kicking on and people sound-checking over Oshima's emotional reflection. The night surged onwards to a backstage tour which began with a counter of Totino's products. Throughout the tour, the Totino's logo and the hashtag "#StuffedNachos" were imposed over the screen. Whether or not Totino's products are extant within the Sonic canon remains unclear.

The next section of the show focused on mobile game Sonic Dash which celebrated the milestone of 20 million downloads. I can't help thinking that even with it being a free app, that level of engagement would seem to make it much more popular than most full Sonic games released these days. Twitter Man asked the Dash presenter if he had a video to show and he replied "Yeah, hopefully", maybe lacking confidence that it would play after the rest of the presentations. As part of the clip, it was triumphantly announced that Green Hill Zone would be added to Sonic Dash, although it's a mystery to me how that location wasn't in there from the start. The crowd was then prompted to yell out the classic Sonic character that the zone necessitated. From somewhere in the audience came a shout of "Sanic" but this was apparently the wrong answer. My spellchecker is now trying to correct "Sanic" to "Satanic", showing we have clearly only scratched the surface of these mysteries.

No Caption Provided

There was a Q&A with the developers, and fair play to them, one question was about whether there could ever be a Metal Big the Cat and a dev responded with the statement that he'd be too powerful. In line with this behind-the-scenes flavour, they also brought out the Sonic voice actors, even if there were more actors than mics. The V/O for Amy Rose mentioned bipolar disorder and used the word "sodomy" twice while she was up there. She was eventually interrupted by the Robotnik voice actor making a long, abrasive whine into one of the microphones but it was the actor for Q-Bot (I don't know either) with the most interesting takes:

"The thing I liked about Q-Bot in the game is he did have the multiple personality disorder [...] I've always loved Laurel and Hardy [...] I really do think [the Q-Bot personalities] are the Laurel and Hardy of our generation".

No Caption Provided

I'm still not sure how sincere that was meant to be. At this point, my frontal lobe began to succumb to lethal quantities of the Going Fast game and the order of events gets a bit foggy for me. I do remember the Twitter Man talking about the fun activities for the audience in the venue and then just as he was about to discuss the treats for the viewers at home the sound cut out again. The Sonic Mania trailer then played for the third time. I may or may not have seen a woman near the back dressed as Ariel from The Little Mermaid.

I can reliably tell you that Sonic is going to be in the latest Lego Dimensions game. Like a tragic DeviantArt page, the trailer showed a Lego version of our feisty hogboy hanging out with Doctor Who and riding a Portal Turret through Aperture. In another cross-over twist, there will be a collaboration between Hello Kitty and Sonic, with the Hello Kitty representative identifying that fans must feel a "brand synergy" with these characters. The Super Sonic Hello Kitty doll will cost $60. The final reveal was none other than a secret new 3D Sonic game which was pretty forgettable, although was summed up well by the final screen of the trailer which featured wispy embers and large, metallic text reading "JOIN THE RESISTANCE", because the next logical step for Sonic is to make it more like a post-apocalyptic rebellion story, right?

No Caption Provided

Obviously, a lot of effort must have been put into this anniversary event. I don't wish anything bad on the people involved and it takes some bravery to get up on stage and put on a show like that, but every time I tried to push myself to view the event in a positive light my mind wandered back to this one moment near the start of the party. It was one of those instances where the sound was glitching out and as nothing but that monotonous buzz came over the audio, a dead-eyed plastic and fabric recreation of Sonic shuffled about woozily in front of the crowd like he was on strong pain medication. 25 years on from the release of the classic Mega Drive game this anniversary celebration was, unfortunately for everyone involved, a perfect reflection of where Sonic is at as a franchise. Thanks for reading.

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By ahgunsillyo

@gamer_152 said:

... because the next logical step for Sonic is to make it more like a post-apocalyptic rebellion story, right?

To be fair, though, if you go back to the non-Jaleel White Sonic cartoon and the Archie comics that have managed to remain in print since the '90s, Sonic The Hedgehog has kind of always been a post-apocalyptic rebellion story.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

...I would play the everloving hell out of a postapocalyptic, way too self-serious Sonic game. That shit would be hilarious.

I saw the sound issue video that I think @mike shared, but I hadn't heard about the rest of this. That sounds like the perfect storm of busllshit for a major Sonic celebration.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

It's good to know that Sonic the Hedgehog rates the same level of sponsorship as the McElroy brothers. That seems about right. It also seems about right that both games that were announced at this thing are clearly trying to springboard off of the momentary goodwill that Sonic Colors and Generations created before Lost World and Sonic Boom brought things back in line.

I guess my question is: Why did you put yourself through this?

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@arbitrarywater: Didn't Bioware make a Sonic game and it was actually good?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

That resistance talk got me thinking of Uncle Chuck and all that. That show had emotional resonance!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

@baka_shinji17: What I played of Sonic Chronicles did not impress me at all. I remember a lot of imprecise touch screen junk and bad audio work.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

If I wanted to subject myself to this full livestream to fulfill my sadomasochistic desires could I find an archive of it somewhere?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamer_152  Moderator

@ahgunsillyo: They dabbled a little with post-apocalypse in Sonic 2006 but the way they are putting it it's like they're about to merge Sonic with V for Vendetta.

@sparky_buzzsaw: A lot of the stuff in Shadow and Sonic 2006 was notable for being way too self-serious. My guess is there'll be no hard commit to any kind of "resistance" stuff in here though.

@arbitrarywater: It's interesting that someone sat in a room and thought through this. Someone decided that Pizza Rolls were really more a Tim & Eric and McElroy Brothers snack, while the Stuffed Nachos were more suitable for the Sonic crowd. As for Sonic itself, the new scam has become clear. Every game they're now going to add a Classic Sonic sprite or model into it and that'll be their way of suckering people into thinking old-school Sonic is back again. As for why I couldn't stop watching, it was like a beautiful trainwreck. I had it on casually at first because I heard they were announcing a new game but then it just kept delivering.

@dudeglove: I saw that Jim was certainly not impressed. His roundup catches some of the disaster of the show but there's a weird element to a lot of what happened that's missing from it. It doesn't capture the voice acting segment, the sheer volume of advertising, and so on.

@tds418: It's currently archived over on the Sonic Twitch page. I warn you though, it's three and a half hours long.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Wait, were you there in person?

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tds418: It's currently archived over on the Sonic Twitch page. I warn you though, it's three and a half hours long.

Thanks!

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13 sweep  Moderator

It's like the opposite of Gears Of War 2 marketing.

Sadder, Badder, More Depressing!

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

This may be the most beautiful thing I've ever read on Giant bomb

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was an amazing write up, thank you. Sounds like hell to have been there.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@baka_shinji17: I never heard great things about Sonic Chronicles. It seems like it was an okay JRPG style game with Sonic characters.

The DS had some great Sonic games however, with Sonic Rush and its sequel. The first one was better, though. Man that was a good game.

Avatar image for lobster_johnson
    lobster_johnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You'd think the write-up in the OP would've lessened the effect, but I just watched the Jim Sterling video and the Sonic mascot dancing sadly before being led around by the hand is the most hilarious thing I've seen all year.

I can't spend three and a half hours now watching the whole thing... can I?

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your move, Konami.

(They'll have to bust out a three hour pachinko extravaganza if they have any hope of reclaiming their "Best Worst Press Event" crown.)

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Throughout the tour, the Totino's logo and the hashtag "#StuffedNachos" were imposed over the screen. Whether or not Totino's products are extant within the Sonic canon remains unclear.

This writeup is fan-fucking-tastic. Thank you muchly for the entertainments!

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gamer_152  Moderator

@mooseymcman: Nope. if I were there in person, 1. I'd be dead right now, and 2. I wouldn't have gotten to experience that high end audio quality.

@atomicoldman: I kinda feel like Sammy would have enjoyed a lot of it. Sammy seems happy as long as his Sonic isn't literally Sonic 06.

@sweep: I genuinely didn't think it would be this bad. Shows what I know!

@slag: Thank you, that's high praise.

@paulmako: Thank you.

@lobster_johnson: It's probably less of a drag if you skip through most of the music but there's still a lot to chew on there. To be honest I'm not even sure if Sega meant that Twitch archive to be there because it wasn't archived on YouTube, so it might only be around for a month.

@mirado: One of the sad things about the way Konami is doing things is there's not a lot of spectacle involved. Stuff like their 2010 E3 conference was a shitshow but it's an entertaining shitshow because they were still trying to perform to a gaming audience. Now they're pulling back from video games overall there's not much to marvel at.

@fram: Thank you.

mach_go_go_go

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mach_go_go_go

This seems about on par with the modern Sonic experience.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.