Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic the Hedgehog

Franchise »

The Sonic series features the platforming legend and Sega's mascot, Sonic The Hedgehog, and spans countless titles both 2D and 3D featuring a variety of gameplay styles, as well as spinoff titles including racers, pinball, fighters, and even a party game.

Will Sonic ever die?

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Mushir

Will Sonic ever die? Even though people are saying that they should let him rest, SEGA keeps releasing new Sonic games, no matter how bad they are. So I was thinking if this blue hedgehog will keep on running 50 years from now. IMO its been a while since a really good Sonic game. People tend to let go of things when they don't work anymore, but for some reason SEGA is keep releasing new Sonic game. Also the kids in 2015 won't be very interested in Sonic, because they probably wouldn't have played the good 2D games. So they won't buy the Sonic games SEGA will come out with then, because they don't care for him.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

to me, Sonic died loooooong time ago

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By brukaoru

It's quite sad when even the team behind Sonic games are sick of developing them. It's very disheartening to see SEGA keep pushing them to make Sonic games.

"Sega of Japan had intended NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams as a brief rest from the never-ending onslaught of Sonic game after Sonic game. In Ben's own words: "There's no doubt that Sonic Team have lost their quality touch. They are worse than talentless: they are without passion. Bored, weary, closed-minded and out of touch with any sense of what makes games good anymore." Quite simply put, after making so many of them, Sonic Team is tired of Sonic games - something Ben cites as a reason for Yuji Naka's resignation in 2006."
    "In the end, what this blog really represents is that, even within their own ranks, members of Sega's staff are unhappy with the direction Sonic Team as a development studio has headed. While it was easy to assume such, we now have confirmation of internal strife between Sonic Team and their parent subsidary, Sega of Japan. In relation, this goes a long way to explain the shortcomings of games produced by Sonic Team: They are forced to work on a franchise they no longer care about, and when they do get a chance to stretch their legs, it is under tight restrictions."
    Source: http://wii.kombo.com/article.php?artid=13450

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

Sonic games sell, why would they stop making them?

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Otacon

There must be a ton of kids out there who don't even know sonic how we remember him but are happy to buy all these new games, dead to us but not to his new crowd.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Sonic games sell, why would they stop making them?"
    Because some of us hope that someone who works at Sega still has an ounce of integrity.
    Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mushir
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    Because some of us hope that someone who works at Sega still has an ounce of integrity."
    Well said.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Karmum
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    Because some of us hope that someone who works at Sega still has an ounce of integrity."
    I would assume SEGA is more concerned about how much money than make, or the integrity they get from the gamers. Which is kind of unfortunate.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By vidiot

Sonic will get better the moment Sega takes the license away from Sonic Team.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By CoolDrMoney

He should have died after Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It's amazing how the series has been getting increasingly worse and worse as the past decade has gone on. The only game I'd salvage from the series since Sonic Adventure would be Sonic Rush, the rest could not exist and I would be totally fine.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By tekmojo

No. Instead God has a more humiliating punishment for the series. Torture Sonic fans worldwide with one horrible release after the other.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Diamond
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    The way Sega sees it, if they sell over a million copies, that game must be pretty great.  Seriously, they may notice hardcore gamers whining, but the majority of the public keep buying.  All that means to them is there is a very small percentage of dissatisfied customers.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I WISH !!!

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FlipperDesert
    Diamond said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    The way Sega sees it, if they sell over a million copies, that game must be pretty great.  Seriously, they may notice hardcore gamers whining, but the majority of the public keep buying.  All that means to them is there is a very small percentage of dissatisfied customers."
    The thing to note here is: Sonic is a kids game. It always has been, and that's not going to change. Yeah, the games on the Genisis were great at the time but the reason those are looked back on so fondly was we were all young back then.

I managed to drag my way through Sonic 2006 and I hated it, but if I was a kid I would totally ignore all those flaws, just like I did with so many awful PS1 games back in the day. It sucks that Sonic Team doesn't wanna make them anymore either, but as long as the target audience is happy (kids that vaguely know what Sonic is and... Furries. Yeaaaah), they'll keep going.
    Kentro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Kentro

I intend to say that sonic wont die with SEGA pushing the limits. I mean, Sonic Unleashed was kinda good, but it had a few "What the f****s in it" I mean still, theyre trying their best to come up with the best ideas. With all the things used back then, Sega is going to have to pair with some other Game company just to make Sonic look good. Like, imagine if lucasarts productions paired up with SEGA, then theyd have a screwed up copy with things slapped together. And its really going to be disappionting.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By AndrewB
    @FlipperDesert said:
    The thing to note here is: Sonic is a kids game. It always has been, and that's not going to change. Yeah, the games on the Genisis were great at the time but the reason those are looked back on so fondly was we were all young back then.

I managed to drag my way through Sonic 2006 and I hated it, but if I was a kid I would totally ignore all those flaws, just like I did with so many awful PS1 games back in the day. It sucks that Sonic Team doesn't wanna make them anymore either, but as long as the target audience is happy (kids that vaguely know what Sonic is and... Furries. Yeaaaah), they'll keep going. "
    I can still, to this day, go back and play Sonic 1 through Sonic CD, and see them as really great, fun to play platformers; not just as some nostalgia piece. I very much still look fondly upon them.

And anyone who seriously thinks that Sonic is somehow loved by all furries just because he is an antropomorphic character obviously has a very skewed view of what a real furry is. But that's a discussion for a whole other time.
    warp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By warp

I've always wondered how big the fan base is for Sonic media nowadays. It seems like it has all this mythology thrust upon it after years of video games, comics and cartoons. Which makes me wonder, who cares?  I dont think Ive ever actually met a fanboy on sonic games. They seem to exist only anonymously in the dark corners of wikipedia.  Hell I know personally people who fit all types of fringe fanaticism (non sexually and other wise). But I'd be damned if I say Ive actually met a self professed "sonic fan".

Makes the fact that Sonic Team is working on a series they hate for an audience that is wholly indifferent to the endeavor seem so hilariously fatalistic. That sad that hasnt stopped me from saving up to buy a working Sega CD just to try out that Sonic game from a local flea market.

dopeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dopeman

i hope so.

Shindiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Shindiggah

if only smilebit hadnt closed down, they imo were one of segas last devs that had a spark of talent in them...
    Kentro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Kentro

They were the only devs with talent ._.
    Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
    @Twilight: Did even want to know or you just posted this thread just to hear people say "Sonic sucks"?
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By vaiz

Sonic died the moment Sega went under as a first party console developer. When they had the Genesis/Saturn/Dreamcast, the company had a reason to care about the integrity of their games. The Sonic games, in example, on both the Genesis and Dreamcast were meant to say "Hey, look what we can do!". Once that went down and Sega went third party, they no longer had a reason to craft quality work, or to take any pride in what they do as long as they generate revenue. Hence instant cash cow conversion.

At least, that's my take on it.

shanchett99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By shanchett99

if they do to sonic 1 2 3 knuckles and cd what happened to turtles in time, i'ld buy it.

Avatar image for 21stcenturyjesus
    21stCenturyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By 21stCenturyJesus
    @FlipperDesert said:
    "Diamond said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Al3xand3r said:
    The way Sega sees it, if they sell over a million copies, that game must be pretty great.  Seriously, they may notice hardcore gamers whining, but the majority of the public keep buying.  All that means to them is there is a very small percentage of dissatisfied customers."

I managed to drag my way through Sonic 2006 and I hated it, but if I was a kid I would totally ignore all those flaws, just like I did with so many awful PS1 games back in the day. It sucks that Sonic Team doesn't wanna make them anymore either, but as long as the target audience is happy (kids that vaguely know what Sonic is and... Furries. Yeaaaah), they'll keep going."

this gentleman has a good point. regardless of the objective quality, why wouldnt sega want to cash in on the whole "edgy badass sonic but aimed at 9-year old" demographic
    vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By vaiz
    @shanchett99 said:

" if they do to sonic 1 2 3 knuckles and cd what happened to turtles in time, i'ld buy it. "

A lot of people would. The fact that Sega has yet to realise this, or at least act on it, astounds me. It would, I am willing to wager, sell better than any Sonic product in the past nine years.
    bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bubahula

depends if you wanna get your hands dirty
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#27  Edited By sjschmidt93

I believe he's already dead.

yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By yates

There is a new generation of Sonic fans that seem to enjoy the games that have been coming out over the past few years, so I don't expect them to stop making new Sonic games anytime soon.

As far as a Turtles in Time Re-Shelled style version of the original Sonic games goes; I don't know, if it was done right and was stylised correctly I'd be all for it. HD sprites with 3d backgrounds would be cool. Turtles in Time Re-Shelled was a bad example of how to do it for me though, the soul was completely sucked out of the game.

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sgjackson

There's a simple answer to this question, really. He dies when he stops being profitable, and obviously he's profitable in his current state.

Now here's my hypothetical question. Let's say somehow a new Sonic game that's actually good comes out. I don't care about the details, really - it just has to review well, in a way that makes everyone go "Sonic is back, whoo!" How much better does this hypothetical game do than Sonic does now? Is it worth the investment to make a decent game when shit sells so well in the first place?

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By eclipsesis

I think the sonic team will manage to make a good sonic in time, and it will be the series "swan song" so to speak

mugugipan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By mugugipan

I read a weird statement from a Sega rep (or something) that said Sonic was going to get better over time. All I can think of is how bad its been getting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.