Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic the Hedgehog

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 14, 2006

Sonic the Hedgehog debuts on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 in this realism-focused former-reboot.

I think this may be one of the worst games ever made...

• 60 results
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By big_jon

I have been watching Gamegrumps play this game and oh God, it is literally the worst game I have ever watched someone play, it is broken, looks awful, it's boring, stupid, unplayably buggy, the art is all out of place, sonic taking itself serious is not something that should have ever happened , it has a horrendous amount of loading screen, and what is with all the normal looking humans in this game along side stupid brooding hedgehogs!

How did this game get released?!

I know it's random, but I just feel bad for the people who actually bought this game in 2006 and looked forward to opening it.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By McGhee

If only you had just seen Beverly Hills Cop during the live stream. . .

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By BBAlpert

The Something Awful "Let's Play All of Sonic 2006 in One Sitting" is a fascinating glimpse at a group of human brains disintegrating before your very eyes (well, ears I guess).

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Yeah. That game is awful. Still no Mortal Kombat on the gameboy.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By laserbolts

First time I have seen this Sonic game and I agree. That looks so damn bad.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I beat that game. It was the first game I got for this console generation. It is God Awful. I loved Adventure 2, I still have a fondness for that game but 06 is the worst. Silver's campaign is the worst part of that game though (that and the bestiality.) There is a ball puzzle in the desert, it's a very simple puzzle but the controls are so terrible that it makes the puzzle extremely hard to complete.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ll_Exile_ll
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By big_jon
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

I see your Sonic 2006 and raise you Alone in the Dark 2008:

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@ll_Exile_ll said:

Believe me, it seems even worse when you are playing it than just watching it. I played through the whole thing, and looking at my achievements, I even did far more of the optional content than I remember, I must have blocked most of that game from my mind. I have proof:

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/ll_exile_ll/achievements/?upid=3750596&sid=98413

Do you remember the last mission where you had to play as every character (except Sonic) and the Knuckles/Rouge levels were so fucked up that it was hard to figure out what you even had to do. Most of the game was fairly linear up to that point and then they do that.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Video_Game_King said:

I see your Sonic 2006 and raise you Alone in the Dark 2008:

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@SethPhotopoulos: Honestly I don't, if that was the true ending, I am not sure if I did that. I remember Sonic dying, if that was part of the same segment then I simply don't remember, and to be honest I am glad I don't.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@SethPhotopoulos: Honestly I don't, if that was the true ending, I am not sure if I did that. I remember Sonic dying, if that was part of the same segment then I simply don't remember, and to be honest I am glad I don't.

The true ending was having to bring Sonic back from the dead so it was after his death. "The True Ending" campaign is almost everything that was wrong with 06 condensed into 20 minutes. And that's if you're good at it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@BBAlpert said:

The Something Awful "Let's Play All of Sonic 2006 in One Sitting" is a fascinating glimpse at a group of human brains disintegrating before your very eyes (well, ears I guess).

I fully endorse

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By big_jon

@Video_Game_King: I loled.

That's some dialogue right there!

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By ThePaleKing

@SethPhotopoulos: What are you trying to say about Alpha Protocol? Because that game has some of the best voice acting I've heard in a game, and the writing - bearing in mind it is meant to be a pastiche of various spy films - is quite good as well. Certainly not even remotely in the same school as this Sonic game.

Edit: That Alone in the Dark remake isn't terrible either. At least unlike this Sonic game it wasn't broken in every sense, and had some interesting mechanics. There was even that release version of the PS3 that fixed a lot of the worst bugs and faulty mechanics.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@ThePaleKing said:

@SethPhotopoulos: What are you trying to say about Alpha Protocol? Because that game has some of the best voice acting I've heard in a game, and the writing - bearing in mind it is meant to be a pastiche of various spy films - is quite good as well. Certainly not even remotely in the same school as this Sonic game.

Edit: That Alone in the Dark remake isn't terrible either. At least unlike this Sonic game it wasn't broken in every sense, and had some interesting mechanics. There was even that release version of the PS3 that fixed a lot of the worst bugs and faulty mechanics.

I was looking for Unlimited Saga clips but remembered that I hated Alpha Protocol more, mostly because I finished that one.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@SethPhotopoulos: Then I did do the true ending, there was some achievement that I didn't have that looked like more end game content, but I think it was actually S ranking everything.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@ll_Exile_ll said:

@SethPhotopoulos: Then I did do the true ending, there was some achievement that I didn't have that looked like more end game content, but I think it was actually S ranking everything.

I think I actually beat it more than once because I had to show my friends what that game did to me.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mrfluke

@McGhee said:

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By TheHT

@McGhee said:

came in to say this very thing haha.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh yeah I've played a little of it before. Controls are fucking dog shit and there are more glitches in the first level than an entire Bethesda game.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#23  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

I bought this at one point just to see if I could play though it. The bugs in the game make it nearly unplayable so I gave up after a few hours in.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By JasonR86

@big_jon:

I was about to yell at you but then I played the video and saw you meant the rebooted Sonic The Hedgehog. Yeah, I bought it for $5 on Amazon because I was curious. After the debacle of an opening I finally got to the first stage, after what felt like an hour, and ran out of lives before finishing the level due to camera issues, falling through the world, and insane controls for Tails when he flies. I hit continue despite being annoyed and found out that 'continue' meant 'restart the game from the opening movie'. I haven't played it since.

Fuck that game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JasonR86 said:

@big_jon:

I was about to yell at you but then I played the video and saw you meant the rebooted Sonic The Hedgehog. Yeah, I bought it for $5 on Amazon because I was curious. After the debacle of an opening I finally got to the first stage, after what felt like an hour, and ran out of lives before finishing the level due to camera issues, falling through the world, and insane controls for Tails when he flies. I hit continue despite being annoyed and found out that 'continue' meant 'restart the game from the opening movie'. I haven't played it since.

Fuck that game.

I rented the game and had the same exact experience as you did. I died over and over again on the first level thanks to the camera and glitches, and sometimes just jumping to my death without meaning to. Then I hit continue, saw that the game basically rebooted, turned it off, and returned it, having only rented it for a few hours. I honestly didn't even want a refund or a free rental, I just wanted that game out of my life. 

I've been watching the Grumps play through it, and they give that game far more entertainment value than it ever deserved to have. God bless them.
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nottle

@big_jon: Sonic 06 is at least entertaining in the way it is bad. It at least feels like people that sort of cared made it they just didn't know what the hell they were doing. The music is alright, and every 4 hours there will be something that had potential that was squandered. I feel like the worst game ever made would have to be extremely un-fun to play and sort of soulless. Like I can get through Sonic 06 without becoming that mad maybe even enjoying myself, it's just so poorly made that I'm falling though floors and there is practically no game feel.

That Beverly Hills game SHIT!

@SethPhotopoulos: Parts of Alpha Protocol are busted, but whats busted is sort of present in games regarded as great like Deus Ex.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

That game looks super bad. Game Grumps is pretty damn entertaining. Also Phil Hellmuth is a doucher.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By colourful_hippie

No cuz Big Rigs.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By big_jon

@Nottle said:

@big_jon: Sonic 06 is at least entertaining in the way it is bad. It at least feels like people that sort of cared made it they just didn't know what the hell they were doing. The music is alright, and every 4 hours there will be something that had potential that was squandered. I feel like the worst game ever made would have to be extremely un-fun to play and sort of soulless. Like I can get through Sonic 06 without becoming that mad maybe even enjoying myself, it's just so poorly made that I'm falling though floors and there is practically no game feel.

@SethPhotopoulos: Parts of Alpha Protocol are busted, but whats busted is sort of present in games regarded as great like Deus Ex.

I hate the music, I hate the "story", the only thing I can say positive is that the character models look... Fairly high fidelity for a game of its age.

I was cringing throughout all those stupid self serious poorly voice acted cut scenes, who takes the Sonic "lore" seriously, clearly the developers though the player would. Often I do find games that take themselves overly serious to be sort of endearing in thier cheese, but this game draws the line, it literally looks retarded, it's about a fucking hedgehog from a 16bit Sega game!

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nottle

@big_jon said:

@Nottle said:

I hate the music, I hate the "story", the only thing I can say positive is that the character models look... Fairly high fidelity for a game of its age.

I was cringing throughout all those stupid self serious poorly voice acted cut scenes, who takes the Sonic "lore" seriously, clearly the developers though the player would. Often I do find games that take themselves overly serious to be sort of endearing in thier cheese, but this game draws the line, it literally looks retarded, it's about a fucking hedgehog from a 16bit Sega game!

To be honest I think Elise and Eggman look horrible, and Sonic is the worst he's probably ever looked in that game. Too long.

The games cheese is funny to me. Elise kisses a dead blue hedgehog. thats just funny.

"His World" is really the song that comes to mind when i think of this game. I think it's pretty good.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#32  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I think I got a few hours into that Something Awful LP before being distracted by something, but man, MAN does this game look bad. As someone who still has a bit of fondness for the Adventure games, despite them being kinda bad in hindsight, Sonic 2006 looks like an attempt to make the same kind of game and utterly failing in the process of even meeting the questionable standards set by its predecessors.

But yeah, at least Sonic 2006 looks pretty. Beverly Hills Cop came out the same year and looks like a N64 game. Also it is the worstest.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Nottle: I actually don't think Alpha Protocol is nearly as bad as 06. I still hate that game though.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@ArbitraryWater said:

I think I got a few hours into that Something Awful LP before being distracted by something, but man, MAN does this game look bad. As someone who still has a bit of fondness for the Adventure games, despite them being kinda bad in hindsight, Sonic 2006 looks like an attempt to make the same kind of game and utterly failing in the process of even meeting the questionable standards set by its predecessors.

I think it's more like those games haven't aged well.

@Nottle: I think the music was the best thing about 06. Remember the AKON song?

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SlashDance

Now you know why people love Sonic Generations so much. It's actually a video game that you can play.

VRMN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By VRMN

I played through the Sonic campaign. I couldn't stomach more of it. I watched the SA playthrough sometime later and...I'm glad I didn't try to play more of it. It might have destroyed my soul.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By Yadilie

It still amazes that people actually raise Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 up so high. They're both poorly made and glitchy games that should not have been released until they got polished more. Nostalgia and liking terrible mini-games really clouds people judgment of a game I suppose.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Yadilie said:

It still amazes that people actually raise Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 up so high. They're both poorly made and glitchy games that should not have been released until they got polished more. Nostalgia and liking terrible mini-games really clouds people judgment of a game I suppose.

No kidding. I just beat Sonic Adventure 2 a few weeks ago because it was on the PSN store, and I remembered loving it so much. Wow, it was NOWHERE as good as I remembered it being. It's not even good! There's like... 5 good levels, the rest are either boring or awful. Every single boss was a complete bore to fight with the exception of the final boss, which was the one boss I remembered hating as a kid, I found him to be hard but a fun challenge - too bad the stupid damn speed dash attack didn't work on the damn thing half the time! Seriously, Knuckles and Rouge's stages can go kill themselves, they were the worst thing ever. That's not even mentioning the terrible, terrible, terrible story to go along with everything, the awful dialogue, and the fact that the voices get drowned out by the music constantly.

So yeah, Sonic Adventure 2 is hyped and talked about so highly because people let nostalgia blind them to the numerous flaws the game had. The game isn't good, and if it weren't for some fun bits, the game would be absolutely terrible.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Nottle

@SethPhotopoulos: I remember being frustrated with Alpha Protocol when I played it but I still think it has some good stuff in it. Any thing in particular you didn't care for? This is a unfunny video with me playing the game I ran into a glitch and it was the only way I won because the boss fights are ridiculous.

@PollySMPS: I like the cheesy vocal Sonic songs. There is something so late 90's about them. I think Sonic 06 should be played by everyone, then once they see the credits roll they should pop in Super Mario 64, just so they can get a sense of what it's like when people use time and creativity to make a game.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By GunstarRed

There was once a time when I was considering buying the 06 Sonic, but I eventually came to my senses... Kinda.

I did however buy Shadow the Hedgehog and it is truly horrendous.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By Animasta

@PollySMPS: you're crazy, dawg, the adventure games are mostly fine (when there's a hedgehog involved that is)

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@PollySMPS said:

@Yadilie: I'd say Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 are ALMOST on par with how amazingly buggy as Sonic '06 is as well as having terrible control and level design. I can't count the number of times back in the Dreamcast days of trying to get through those games that I just straight up fell through floors, got launched by speed boosters completely out of a level, or had boss' hit detection completely stop working only for me to homing attack into a pit. Then the terrible stages like the Casino in Adventure 1 and EVERY SINGLE KNUCKLES AND ROUGE collect-a-thon mission in Sonic Adventure 2, especially one that is timed, forcing you to search a stupidly large area for items appearing in random spots.

I'd actually play Sonic 06 over either Adventure game any day. xD

i played through Adventure 2 recently and had a good time. I recognize that it has aged poorly but I was able to get past that and enjoy myself. I did not feel that way with 06, especially since 06 was a current gen game.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Nottle: I didn't like the part where I played it. I felt like nothing worked. I hated using the weapons, I hated the way the characters moved, I hated the CQC system they implemented. I thought the story had some interesting moments but was kind of bland with an unsatisfying ending. I played through it using stealth by the way.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Nottle

@SethPhotopoulos: The game does seem to punish you for not putting points into some sort of weapon because there is no way to avoid the boss fights. If the game had more routes to take it would probably be much better. I played stealth so taking out enemies was much to tedious.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Nottle said:

@SethPhotopoulos: The game does seem to punish you for not putting points into some sort of weapon because there is no way to avoid the boss fights. If the game had more routes to take it would probably be much better. I played stealth so taking out enemies was much to tedious.

It's a spy game that punishes you for using stealth when they say it's a good option. C'mon.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sayishere

Thought you was referring to the original Sonic for the Genesis for a second there, was ready to breathe fire.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By Yadilie

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Nottle said:

It's a spy game that punishes you for using stealth when they say it's a good option. C'mon.

With enough points in Stealth you can take anyone out with 1 shot with Pistols. Not to mention you can kill a majority of bosses in cutscenes from what I've seen. It's still a boring video game and another notch on the "Why are WRPGs praised again?" for me. The waddle is fun to look at though.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Yadilie said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@Nottle said:

With enough points in Stealth you can take anyone out with 1 shot with Pistols. Not to mention you can kill a majority of bosses in cutscenes from what I've seen. It's still a boring video game and another notch on the "Why are WRPGs praised again?" for me. The waddle is fun to look at though.

Because games like DA:O and Witcher 2 are amazing. You can't hold a bad game against an entire genre.

Also using guns in that game was the worst. Even when I sunk a lot of points into pistols I felt like I couldn't use it reliably.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.