Is It Really THAT Bad?

#1 Posted by NickDynmo (174 posts) -

I liked the Sonic Adventure games, and I've been a fan of Sonic since the first game came out. I see this game on sale for like $10 all the time. is it really THAT bad? The videos don't make it look too bad. Is it worth picking up for $5-$10?

#2 Posted by chinakat (41 posts) -

NO!
#3 Posted by chinakat (41 posts) -

NO! as in it is not worth getting
#4 Posted by JJOR64 (18909 posts) -

Don't play that piece of crap.  As a Sonic fan myself, it makes me want to stab my eyes out.

DON'T PLAY IT OR I WILL KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 Posted by punkxblaze (2957 posts) -

Look, just don't do it. Don't do it if someone pays YOU to play it.

#6 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -
#7 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" Play Sonic Adventure 2 Battle instead. "
The last good Sonic game in my opinion. At least on the bigger consoles.The Advance and DS games are just fine from what I hear.
#8 Edited by CharlesAlanRatliff (5380 posts) -

I really liked Sonic Adventure, too, but DO NOT GET THIS GAME OH GOD IT IS SO BAD 

Edit: I wonder if the OP will even see this, seeing as the thread is a month old. It might be too late nooooooo

#9 Posted by InTheEnd (268 posts) -

Considering that the first three post's all said a resounding no; lemme give you a more objective opinion. When the first Sonic Adventure came out it was mind blowing, it'd looked pretty and it was (finally) a decent 3D Sonic game. After that there was Sonic Adventure 2 which was a little more refined. As someone who has probably spent 50 hours playing the two games and shameless bought both DC and GC versions I can attest that I look at the two games with rose tinted nostalgia. Even so, I'll admit the two games are rough around the edges and certainly have not aged well. There are some camera problems, mind numbing music and weird glitches and to be honest the most of the content for both games is lackluster. In the first iteration you'll probably only want to play the Sonic and Tails levels and in the second: Sonic and Shadow. Unfortunately you'll have to play through a myriad of boring modes like fishing with Big, running away from a robot as Amy, searching for emerald shards as Knuckles in Sonic Adventure. In Sonic Adventure 2 you'll deal with more emerald hunter with Knuckles or Rouge and a rather lame mech sequences as Tails or Dr Robotnik. You have to bear through all these shitty parts to even beat the games, however I recall the last levels of SA 2 to be rather epic. So all in all, if you're only spending 5 or so bucks I say go for it. If you don't like 'em then it's not much of a hit to your wallet anyways. 

#10 Posted by NikoAlexander57 (359 posts) -

According to my friend you should buy it. But then again he hasn't played them either. I'd suggest holding off on it unless the other option is throwing a five dollar bill in the trash.

#11 Edited by NickDynmo (174 posts) -
@Vito_Raliffe said:

" I really liked Sonic Adventure, too, but DO NOT GET THIS GAME OH GOD IT IS SO BAD  Edit: I wonder if the OP will even see this, seeing as the thread is a month old. It might be too late nooooooo "

Yah I've seen these. I stopped checking after a couple of weeks because there were no posts, but I decided to check up today. Glad I did.

@InTheEnd

said:

"  Considering that the first three post's all said a resounding no; lemme give you a more objective opinion. When the first Sonic Adventure came out it was mind blowing, it'd looked pretty and it was (finally) a decent 3D Sonic game. After that there was Sonic Adventure 2 which was a little more refined. As someone who has probably spent 50 hours playing the two games and shameless bought both DC and GC versions I can attest that I look at the two games with rose tinted nostalgia. Even so, I'll admit the two games are rough around the edges and certainly have not aged well. There are some camera problems, mind numbing music and weird glitches and to be honest the most of the content for both games is lackluster. In the first iteration you'll probably only want to play the Sonic and Tails levels and in the second: Sonic and Shadow. Unfortunately you'll have to play through a myriad of boring modes like fishing with Big, running away from a robot as Amy, searching for emerald shards as Knuckles in Sonic Adventure. In Sonic Adventure 2 you'll deal with more emerald hunter with Knuckles or Rouge and a rather lame mech sequences as Tails or Dr Robotnik. You have to bear through all these shitty parts to even beat the games, however I recall the last levels of SA 2 to be rather epic. So all in all, if you're only spending 5 or so bucks I say go for it. If you don't like 'em then it's not much of a hit to your wallet anyways.  "

While I appreciate the comment, I was referring to the 2005 Sonic the Hedgehog game. I, too, love the Sonic Adventure games (and will agree that they have not aged well). However, I chastise you for not once mentioning  Chao.
#12 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5380 posts) -
@NickDynmo: *Phew*, that was a close one!
#13 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3700 posts) -

Yes it is really that bad 

#14 Posted by vinsanityv22 (1064 posts) -

Rent it if you must, but it really is that bad. The 3D Sonic games up till this point always flirted with broken controls, collision issues, rampant clipping, etc. But Sonic Adventure 1 + 2, Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog are MASTERPIECES compared to how badly designed Sonic 2006 is and how broken the controls are. 
Look up videos on the internet and you'll see that most triple A games - God of War, Halo, Zelda - make sure their characters work in a test room before doing anything else. Sonic 2006 clearly had levels built before Sonic was ready to roll, and they jammed in an unfinished, unpolished character who simply cannot handle this stuff.
Just skip it. Sonic & the Secret Rings was better, Sonic Unleashed has some bright spots (and even though the werehog stuff is the most monotonous brawling this side of Dynasty Warriors, the game engine is FAR more solid than Sonic 2006's garbage technology), and Sonic Colors is pretty much amazing...although Colors is more of a 2.5D game than most preview coverage paint it out to be. 
Go play Sonic Colors. That game is excellent.

#15 Posted by vinsanityv22 (1064 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" Don't play that piece of crap.  As a Sonic fan myself, it makes me want to stab my eyes out.  DON'T PLAY IT OR I WILL KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "
Uhhhh.....yeah, duder. You gotta lay off the caffeine:)
#16 Posted by JJOR64 (18909 posts) -
@vinsanityv22:   You know that post is from 3 months ago right?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.