Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic Unleashed

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 14, 2008

Sonic Unleashed is two different Sonic titles released in 2008 across four consoles. Both titles feature high-speed Sonic stages, slower-paced "Werehog" levels, and town hubs where players must progress through the story.

I have beaten Sonic Unleashed. Thoughts?

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

Edited By BlazeHedgehog

I just beat the 360 version of Sonic Unleashed.

That was... pretty alright. Without spoiling the review I'm writing for our site, the game can be summed up in one phrase:

"It's a good game, but..."

It's not perfect, but this is probably most progressive foot the franchise has put forward since the original Sonic Adventure, and is one of the most fun 3D Sonic games since Sonic Adventure 2. And, for those not in the know, the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed is pretty different from the 360 version. I watched quite a bit of the Wii version on Youtube and the 360/PS3 version definitely feels like the complete experience.

Keep an eye on my blog over the next few days as I try and put my feelings in to words - I have a hunch it's going to be a long review.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BlazeHedgehog

I just beat the 360 version of Sonic Unleashed.

That was... pretty alright. Without spoiling the review I'm writing for our site, the game can be summed up in one phrase:

It's not perfect, but this is probably most progressive foot the franchise has put forward since the original Sonic Adventure, and is one of the most fun 3D Sonic games since Sonic Adventure 2. And, for those not in the know, the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed is pretty different from the 360 version. I watched quite a bit of the Wii version on Youtube and the 360/PS3 version definitely feels like the complete experience.

Keep an eye on my blog over the next few days as I try and put my feelings in to words - I have a hunch it's going to be a long review.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Red

I don't get why they don't just make a really awesome game, a-la Street Fighter 4 but just make it 3 hours and with tons of collectibles and give it a $40 price tag.

Or better yet make it even shorter and then put it out on XBLM.

Was it on a Bombcast where someone talked about how Sonic Team said that because sonic moved so fast they'd have to design a ton of land for a map so that's why they add in the stupid Werewolf and city sections: to add length?
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kush

I'm sure it is a good game...when you're not playing the Werehog parts.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
    Kush said:
    "I'm sure it is a good game...when you're not playing the Werehog parts."

Really, the Werehog isn't so bad. It is more fun than doing the stupid Emerald Shard hunting nonsense in Sonic Adventure 2, at the very least.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5  Edited By kush

It might be better than the Emerald Shard hunting, but that's not exactly a compliment...why they couldn't just stick with classic Sonic for the whole game will never make sense to me.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By JonathanMoore
    Kush said:
    "It might be better than the Emerald Shard hunting, but that's not exactly a compliment...why they couldn't just stick with classic Sonic for the whole game will never make sense to me."
    Exactly, this is Sonic Teams problem, they just don't know how to make a great game without a Gimmick anymore.
    Avatar image for capncloudchaser
    CapnCloudchaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By CapnCloudchaser

A lot of 3D platformers have gimmicks, not just Sonic.

I actually like the Werehog sections of Unleashed, Sonic runs so damn fast sometimes its nice to have a break! Blaze is right, compared to the emerald hunting quests of SA2, and Hell, even those boring mech shooting quests with Tails and Eggman, the Werehog sections are somewhat fun. The only downside to them is that they get a bit repetative from my perspective, but then if it was just the daytime stages, that would get pretty old too.

What I would love to see is a remake of the original Sonic using the Hedgehog engine, I think that would be pretty sweet, although also pretty short. Sonic games would be pretty short without something in the middle to break it up actually, and I think people only hate the Werehog sections of Unleashed because, hey, it's a flippin Werehog! If those sections had you playing as Knuckles or something, I think people would have been a lot more forgiving.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By JonathanMoore
    CapnCloudchaser said:
    "A lot of 3D platformers have gimmicks, not just Sonic.

I actually like the Werehog sections of Unleashed, Sonic runs so damn fast sometimes its nice to have a break! Blaze is right, compared to the emerald hunting quests of SA2, and Hell, even those boring mech shooting quests with Tails and Eggman, the Werehog sections are somewhat fun. The only downside to them is that they get a bit repetative from my perspective, but then if it was just the daytime stages, that would get pretty old too.

What I would love to see is a remake of the original Sonic using the Hedgehog engine, I think that would be pretty sweet, although also pretty short. Sonic games would be pretty short without something in the middle to break it up actually, and I think people only hate the Werehog sections of Unleashed because, hey, it's a flippin Werehog! If those sections had you playing as Knuckles or something, I think people would have been a lot more forgiving."
    I doubt it. To be honest, people know it felt like a broken platformer, no putting in new characters or characters existing already in the Sonic universe is going to help. They screwed up.
    CapnCloudchaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CapnCloudchaser

I think it would have helped a little, as the initial resistance most people have is "OMG there is a WEREHOG in SONIC!" :O

I don't think Sonic Unleashed is broken at all. I would certainly go as far as to say it is the best 3D Sonic game, better than the two Sonic Adventure titles, and they sure were not broken. The gameplay works in Unleashed, you don't run through a level and fall half way through the floor like in Sonic 06. Yeah, the controls are a bit slippery and difficult at times, but once you get used to them, how Sonic moves and how the game is played, then it controls well. The Werehog sections can be frustrating jumping from platform to platform if you don't realise that holding B (On the 360 version at least) helps you to accurately grab on to ledges. Before I knew that, I kept dying a lot and cursing the game too, but just getting over a few smaller control niggles now means that I enjoy the game a lot more.

I would never say that Sonic Unleashed is broken or that Sega screwed up with it. I totally think the Hedgehog engine and the daytime stages at least are a step in the right direction for Sonic. The Werehog stages are obviously unpopular though. Sonic 06, now that was a screw up! But Unleashed is nothing like Sonic 06 at all.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Willy105

Blaze! You are back!

I do want to play this game a little bit.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
    JonathanMoore said:
    "Kush said:
    "It might be better than the Emerald Shard hunting, but that's not exactly a compliment...why they couldn't just stick with classic Sonic for the whole game will never make sense to me."
    Exactly, this is Sonic Teams problem, they just don't know how to make a great game without a Gimmick anymore."
    But as many people noted, if this was just a Sonic-only game and they removed the Werehog and the hub worlds, the game could be beaten in under an hour. That's really, honestly what you want? There's no way something like that would be profitable for Sega nowadays.

Lots of games have to have their "hook". Call it a gimmick if you must, but seriously? If you gave the Werehog an honest chance you might actually find it's not so bad. I went in to Sonic Unleashed more or less dreading the Werehog and I eventually realized, "Y'know, this is kind of alright. It's got some problems, but they aren't terribly big problems."

I totally get the frustration people have with the Sonic franchise. I don't blame them. As somebody who grew up with the games and the TV shows and the comic books, the last few Sonic games have been really aggrivating to me. Sonic Unleashed kind of makes up for a lot of those mistakes, Werehog and all.
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Kazona
    Red said:
    "I don't get why they don't just make a really awesome game, a-la Street Fighter 4 but just make it 3 hours and with tons of collectibles and give it a $40 price tag.
    Or better yet make it even shorter and then put it out on XBLM.

Was it on a Bombcast where someone talked about how Sonic Team said that because sonic moved so fast they'd have to design a ton of land for a map so that's why they add in the stupid Werewolf and city sections: to add length?
    "
    Yes it was said on the Bombcast. And I totally agree. I'd much rather have a short but awesome game than a mediocre long one. You know, just 3 hours or something of non-stop full-speed Sonic. Now that would be a 3d sonic game I'd buy.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Red
    BlazeHedgehog said:
    But as many people noted, if this was just a Sonic-only game and they removed the Werehog and the hub worlds, the game could be beaten in under an hour. That's really, honestly what you want? There's no way something like that would be profitable for Sega nowadays. 
    Yes. It is. Sonic ISN'T profitable anyways. The only way Sonic WOULD sell would be with 6 year old girls unless they did something straight up old school Sonic, 3d effects or not.
    The record for a Sonic speed run is 5 minutes right? Put an old school HD 2d Sonic on XBLM/PSN charge 15 bucks, add in leaderboards AND TONS of unlockables and you have a game that will definitely show that sonic DOESN'T SUCK.
    BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
    Red said:
    "BlazeHedgehog said:
    Yes. It is. Sonic ISN'T profitable anyways. The only way Sonic WOULD sell would be with 6 year old girls unless they did something straight up old school Sonic, 3d effects or not.
    The record for a Sonic speed run is 5 minutes right? Put an old school HD 2d Sonic on XBLM/PSN charge 15 bucks, add in leaderboards AND TONS of unlockables and you have a game that will definitely show that sonic DOESN'T SUCK.
    "

"6 year old girls"?
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15  Edited By HandsomeDead

Boy, holding right sure is a lot of fun.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#16  Edited By bjorno

why?

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By tekmojo

I really don't think anyone would care if this damned Sonic would just die for a good 10 years or so. Then it can pull a Super Duper HD Remix Version and it would sell well again. Everyone is on to bigger and better games this generation, please slow down Sonic, you're not impressing anyone. 

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By godzilla_sushi
    BlazeHedgehog said:

Wow, I'm impressed! That's actually an honest and great take on it.
    CapnCloudchaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CapnCloudchaser
    tekmojo said:
    "I really don't think anyone would care if this damned Sonic would just die for a good 10 years or so. Then it can pull a Super Duper HD Remix Version and it would sell well again. Everyone is on to bigger and better games this generation, please slow down Sonic, you're not impressing anyone. "
    Yet his games still sell. Surely some people still like Sonic games (Not just Sonic fans), thus blanket statements like these "No one cares!" don't actually say anything at all. Sonic was actually voted the number one most popular video game character in the UK this year, so he's still really popular :O

One thing that has irritated me over this release is that it is a good game buried under some problems, but a lot of people are content to just sit back and insult the game without first even playing it. Sure, that's what reviewers are for, to stop us wasting money on a bad game, but Sonic Unleashed has had a lot of mixed views, especially from gamers who have played through Unleashed and discovered that, hey, it's not as bad as critics are saying.

I was at University the other day and played through the first two levels on Sonic Unleashed, which were two daytime stages, as people on my course (Game programming and design) sat and watched. It was my first time playing, so I made a few mistakes, but a few people there were interested and some decided to go out and play the game because it looked interesting. A few others shouted at the scream "OMG Sonic is so crap these days!" and "It's a shit game!" just by watching me play. I told them that they can't judge how rubbish the game or the series is just by watching, I would take their opinions seriously if they actually got up and played it themselves. They didn't of course. My point is that a lot of people are screaming about how rubbish the series is these days and how bad Sonic Unleashed is (Mostly because of the Werehog) yet most of these people haven't even played it, they're just making judgements based on word of mouth and the opinion of reviewers who have to be critical and entertaining as part of their job.

I'm not saying that everyone should go out and play Unleashed in order to have an opinion, but personally speaking, I'm likely to take a critical opiion seriously if those people have actually played the game.

The Werehog's gameplay isn't actually as bad as people are saying and I agree with Blaze on that one.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Rowr

ive got it rented, i just played the second level (normal sonic) and its pretty fucking awesome once you get some speed up. I guess now it just depends on my tolerance for the werehog levels.

Also my enjoyment for this entirely relies on my ability to ignore the story, dialogue and characters.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.