Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic Unleashed

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 14, 2008

Sonic Unleashed is two different Sonic titles released in 2008 across four consoles. Both titles feature high-speed Sonic stages, slower-paced "Werehog" levels, and town hubs where players must progress through the story.

I'm Calling It.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Edited By ArcBorealis

Sonic Unleashed will be above average.

Yeah, yeah, could be wrong to some people, but atleast I didn't go as far to say "this will be the best Sonic game yet." But hey, I'm willing to take a chance, right?

Why am I saying this? Well, we have just gotten into November, and so before the month ends, we'll be seeing Unleashed on store shelves on the 28th. And based on what I've seen, I feel confident that this game will be better than previous games in the series, but I dont see this game really surpassing the Adventure series (it could, considering this game was originally Sonic Adventure 3).

One thing that I have to remind everyone is, this is not the same Sonic Team that has been making the previous games. They already said so, they have some new people on board, and there Ideas and ways of making the game could be worth it.

Now, just earlier today, I watched videos of the very opening cutscene, as well as gameplay of the first area in the game, with some ingame cutscenes and other things. I gotta say, the opening was awesome, and for some reason, I could've swarn I was hearing Star Wars or something as the camera moved in on the egg fleet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwkRHySfL1E&feature=PlayList&p=06B3359BB1F5C92D&index=15
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLKv7av7bBI&feature=PlayList&p=06B3359BB1F5C92D&index=14

Also, there was a look at Chip in the cutscenes. Chip, dispite his appearance and the fact he's a new character, actually doesn't seem as annoying as one would expect, but kinda cute and hilarious. But then again, I was watching the japanese cutscenes, so I can only expect something awful for the american dub. And he might possibly be the next Omochao, since he seems to give hints every now and then. But of course, it wouldn't be complete if SEGA didn't give the new character an important role in the story. I can trust them if they are honest that they are focusing on Sonic, so I hope Chips present doesn't make the plot feel convoluted.

And of course, theres the Werehog. Now, I atleast look for something thats on the plus side. I do love some exploration, which is what the werehog is offering, and from what I've seen in different segments, it kinda reminded me of Prince of Persia, mainly the platforming, with stuff like swinging from poles and shimming across ledges. Combat looks simple look simple, which is fine, as Sega doesn't need to go out any farther than that. I like simple things, and Sonic is fit for some simple concepts. Plus, there were some cool moves pulled off, and I'm sure it'll be fun and not broken. The only question, of course, is will it become repetitive, and ultimately tacked on? Pray to God, I hope not.

Now, about the second video, it showed some of the over world stuff. Does remind me of the Adventure Overworlds, but look to be much better. And also, I am actually glad that SEGA made the humans look more cartoony to fit with the style of Sonic. I actually was a little disgusted at first. I mean, I knew that they said they wanted the game to be like a "disney land" of sorts, meaning it's a fantasy/cartoon in a real world setting. Some of the designs went a bit over board on the disney aesthetic, but most just look like they fit. The game is light-hearted, and looks to be what Sonic for this gen should stick with, and for years to come. I think I may actually like this more than Sonic Adventure 2, which gave me a great sense of urgency in the games story, racing against the clock to either save the world or destroy it. Obviously you wont get to try and destroy the world in this one, but that type of presentation is one thing I've been wanting in recent sonic games that have been lacking since Heroes, IMO, the need to get to where you need to go in a time of need and urgency.

That, and I'm glad there aren't the exageratted and fake movements exhibted in Sonic 06, with the drug-high arm movements and stunts. It actually looks cartoony. Sonic is talking with Chip, while walking, and juggling two Chaos Emeralds with one hand. Talk about multitasking :P

So take that, with the already good looking (and thankfully actually well done) core gameplay, it doesn't look like to be a disaster. My only concern is if the werehog wont get tiresome, despite me not minding the concept itself, and the same for the story.

Again, I'll say this game will be above average, but not the greatest. Gonna rent this one when it comes.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ArcBorealis

Sonic Unleashed will be above average.

Yeah, yeah, could be wrong to some people, but atleast I didn't go as far to say "this will be the best Sonic game yet." But hey, I'm willing to take a chance, right?

Why am I saying this? Well, we have just gotten into November, and so before the month ends, we'll be seeing Unleashed on store shelves on the 28th. And based on what I've seen, I feel confident that this game will be better than previous games in the series, but I dont see this game really surpassing the Adventure series (it could, considering this game was originally Sonic Adventure 3).

One thing that I have to remind everyone is, this is not the same Sonic Team that has been making the previous games. They already said so, they have some new people on board, and there Ideas and ways of making the game could be worth it.

Now, just earlier today, I watched videos of the very opening cutscene, as well as gameplay of the first area in the game, with some ingame cutscenes and other things. I gotta say, the opening was awesome, and for some reason, I could've swarn I was hearing Star Wars or something as the camera moved in on the egg fleet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwkRHySfL1E&feature=PlayList&p=06B3359BB1F5C92D&index=15
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLKv7av7bBI&feature=PlayList&p=06B3359BB1F5C92D&index=14

Also, there was a look at Chip in the cutscenes. Chip, dispite his appearance and the fact he's a new character, actually doesn't seem as annoying as one would expect, but kinda cute and hilarious. But then again, I was watching the japanese cutscenes, so I can only expect something awful for the american dub. And he might possibly be the next Omochao, since he seems to give hints every now and then. But of course, it wouldn't be complete if SEGA didn't give the new character an important role in the story. I can trust them if they are honest that they are focusing on Sonic, so I hope Chips present doesn't make the plot feel convoluted.

And of course, theres the Werehog. Now, I atleast look for something thats on the plus side. I do love some exploration, which is what the werehog is offering, and from what I've seen in different segments, it kinda reminded me of Prince of Persia, mainly the platforming, with stuff like swinging from poles and shimming across ledges. Combat looks simple look simple, which is fine, as Sega doesn't need to go out any farther than that. I like simple things, and Sonic is fit for some simple concepts. Plus, there were some cool moves pulled off, and I'm sure it'll be fun and not broken. The only question, of course, is will it become repetitive, and ultimately tacked on? Pray to God, I hope not.

Now, about the second video, it showed some of the over world stuff. Does remind me of the Adventure Overworlds, but look to be much better. And also, I am actually glad that SEGA made the humans look more cartoony to fit with the style of Sonic. I actually was a little disgusted at first. I mean, I knew that they said they wanted the game to be like a "disney land" of sorts, meaning it's a fantasy/cartoon in a real world setting. Some of the designs went a bit over board on the disney aesthetic, but most just look like they fit. The game is light-hearted, and looks to be what Sonic for this gen should stick with, and for years to come. I think I may actually like this more than Sonic Adventure 2, which gave me a great sense of urgency in the games story, racing against the clock to either save the world or destroy it. Obviously you wont get to try and destroy the world in this one, but that type of presentation is one thing I've been wanting in recent sonic games that have been lacking since Heroes, IMO, the need to get to where you need to go in a time of need and urgency.

That, and I'm glad there aren't the exageratted and fake movements exhibted in Sonic 06, with the drug-high arm movements and stunts. It actually looks cartoony. Sonic is talking with Chip, while walking, and juggling two Chaos Emeralds with one hand. Talk about multitasking :P

So take that, with the already good looking (and thankfully actually well done) core gameplay, it doesn't look like to be a disaster. My only concern is if the werehog wont get tiresome, despite me not minding the concept itself, and the same for the story.

Again, I'll say this game will be above average, but not the greatest. Gonna rent this one when it comes.

FullMetal_Mac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By FullMetal_Mac

All I can say is that I am hopeful for this game and hopefully it will be good.

Ironphist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Ironphist

I guess I'll say I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. I can't say I'm really feeling the werehog segments too much, seem like they will end up being too repetitive with not enough depth. However, as for the other levels where it's just Sonic racing, I feel it'll be either hit or miss based on the level design. I don't know... I guess we'll see when it comes out, but I will say it will probably be better than the last couple Sonic games.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

This Sonic fan remains hopeful also.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.