Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic Unleashed

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 14, 2008

Sonic Unleashed is two different Sonic titles released in 2008 across four consoles. Both titles feature high-speed Sonic stages, slower-paced "Werehog" levels, and town hubs where players must progress through the story.

Take a gander at this FULL level from Sonic Unleashed.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Willy105

It looks great.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kush

Looks pretty good, but the guy demoing it seemed to suck...

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Endogene

Smooth jazz is what makes sonic flow not this.

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By SpinCookie

I always wondered how these types of things fit into the story.  Like who put all those rings there and setup an obstacle course with enemies for sonic to run through?  Or is the planet just filled with natural loop-de-loops and spring boards.  Same with Mario, who the f put all those coins in boxes and flowers with fire power in the world so the guy can mow down your enemies.  Why would you place your castle at the end of an obstacles course with a very good chance that the hero can get through it.

Those day time levels do look all kinds of fun though.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead

That looks ridiculously boring.

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx
    HandsomeDead said:
    "That looks ridiculously boring."
    I agree.
    They did improve in  graphics, but gameplay wise its the same from all the other 3d sonic games=( which is a shame.. come on SEGA, let sonic die or make a decent game.-.-
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Vinchenzo

"We're going to have him doing really interesting things like swinging on posts for example."

...awesome.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bulldog19892
    HandsomeDead said:
    How? It looks ridiculously fast to me.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks

Looks awesome to me.

I have already heard a few derisory comments which are all too easy to come out with...

Sonic is a game you really have to be in control to feel the playability. This may not be a truly fantastic Sonic, (the Warehog levels I think may prevent it from reaching that status) but none the less I think it will be a very fun game. One that scores well and sees a return to form.

I sincerely hope after this game Sonic Team quit with these crappy ideas like the Warehog, they negatively impact the perception of what looks like a quality game.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Bulldog19892 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    How? It looks ridiculously fast to me."
    Fast doesn't equal fun when all you're doing is holding forward with the occasional strafe in the 3D sections and holding right in the 2.5D sections.
    Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bulldog19892
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Bulldog19892 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    Fast doesn't equal fun when all you're doing is holding forward with the occasional strafe in the 3D sections and holding right in the 2.5D sections."
    Ok, then let me correct myself. It looks pretty fun to me. But, whatever.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Snail

I think it looks pretty cool, great even.  Though that part with the fire robot looks frustrating.

People that think it's boring probably just don't like platform games.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Snail
    Kush said:
    "Looks pretty good, but the guy demoing it seemed to suck..."

This.^

Levio91 said:
    "I was planning on saything " the sonic game for the gamecube was awesome" But im not going to say that anymore."
    Good thinking Levio...

This looks like an enhanced Sonic Rush, with improved gameplay and graphics. It seems like it takes what is good from every Sonic game and puts it together.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Snail said:
    "People that think it's boring probably just don't like platform games."
    I love platform games, but they're made or broken on level design and there's no way you can tell me that those levels are any good. That opening part is a straight forward run with a few turns making it resemble a broken Gran Turismo more than anything. Then on the side scrolling parts, everything is holding right until the odd jump. The worst of it is the QTE sections where they brag about branching levels as if it's something new. Sonic is done and if it appeals just because it's fast, then there is no saving your soul.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Snail
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Snail said:
    I love platform games, but they're made or broken on level design and there's no way you can tell me that those levels are any good. That opening part is a straight forward run with a few turns making it resemble a broken Gran Turismo more than anything. Then on the side scrolling parts, everything is holding right until the odd jump. The worst of it is the QTE sections where they brag about branching levels as if it's something new. Sonic is done and if it appeals just because it's fast, then there is no saving your soul."
    It doesn't appeal to me just because it is fast I never said that so stop trying to sound macho by making rude comments. I don't want to start a flame wars.

Your arguments don't affect me, what is so wrong about the QTE? They didn't brag about it, it was simply there and there is nothing wrong with it. The initial part is sort of pointless but there is a lot that can happen with this method in other levels (I think this is one of the initial one, so it should be more simple), ramps, obstacles, those rings in the air, whatever, just adding into it. The side-scrolling parts, of course it is just holding the stick right! Sonic has always been like that and that has always had its unique awesomeness, and there is a lot to ad to that also.
    Unreal_dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Unreal_dro

The 2d parts look awesome, wish the whole game was like that

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pause422

But since the entire game isn't like that, and you are transforming into a "Werehog", once more, no decent looking video can redeem this. Yet another upcoming complete shit Sonic game, I don't think anyone should ever in the least be hopeful when a new game releases, until its Sonic 1 and 2 redone in HD on xbl/psn.

Unreal_dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Unreal_dro

wish they made a new 2d sonic game on arcade/psn with Bionic Commando style graphics.

like 2d with sudo 3d characters/environments
    Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Aska

They could definitely improve these parts, but at least they're getting better...

Then I'm reminded of the werehog stages, excitement gone.  C'mon SEGA, you could have had a winner here!

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Snail said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Snail said:
    I love platform games, but they're made or broken on level design and there's no way you can tell me that those levels are any good. That opening part is a straight forward run with a few turns making it resemble a broken Gran Turismo more than anything. Then on the side scrolling parts, everything is holding right until the odd jump. The worst of it is the QTE sections where they brag about branching levels as if it's something new. Sonic is done and if it appeals just because it's fast, then there is no saving your soul."
    It doesn't appeal to me just because it is fast I never said that so stop trying to sound macho by making rude comments. I don't want to start a flame wars.

Your arguments don't affect me, what is so wrong about the QTE? They didn't brag about it, it was simply there and there is nothing wrong with it. The initial part is sort of pointless but there is a lot that can happen with this method in other levels (I think this is one of the initial one, so it should be more simple), ramps, obstacles, those rings in the air, whatever, just adding into it. The side-scrolling parts, of course it is just holding the stick right! Sonic has always been like that and that has always had its unique awesomeness, and there is a lot to ad to that also.
    "
    If the appeal isn't the speed, then what is it? There is nothing special about the gameplay whatsoever. The QTE made the game look super pathetic. Instead of being able to go one way or another, you tap a few buttons and then get put back on the linear path. The ramps, obstacles, rings in the air and whatever all sound mighty appealing, but I presume they all consist of just holding whatever is the forward equivalent for the perspective and jumping over them. That might sound great were this 1996, but that just seems so linear that it's basically a flash game with a few shiny graphics and a Hideki Naganuma soundtrack. I smirked at the 'sound macho' comment though. Made me read the rest of the post in Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By Meowayne

Very recently I beat "Sonic the Hedgehog" and "Sonic Chaos" (GameGEar emulation on DS). "Sonic Unleashed" looks like it will be a lot less fun. : /

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Snail
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Snail said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Snail said:

"
    If the appeal isn't the speed, then what is it? There is nothing special about the gameplay whatsoever. The QTE made the game look super pathetic. Instead of being able to go one way or another, you tap a few buttons and then get put back on the linear path. The ramps, obstacles, rings in the air and whatever all sound mighty appealing, but I presume they all consist of just holding whatever is the forward equivalent for the perspective and jumping over them. That might sound great were this 1996, but that just seems so linear that it's basically a flash game with a few shiny graphics and a Hideki Naganuma soundtrack. I smirked at the 'sound macho' comment though. Made me read the rest of the post in Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice."
    It is not ONLY the speed... Why did the QTE make it sound pathetic? There is nothing wrong with it, if you think the game is pathetic don't use the QTE as an excuse, get a real argument. The QTE is like that in tons of games and there is no bad side to that unless you don't like any kind of QTE. And I think we sort of agree in this next point... Sonic should have a game like Super Mario Galaxy that doesn't feel like another 2D game like any other of his, and does not sound like a 3D version of those.
    Lol. xD let's just not flame at each other because we have different opinions. I love flaming but it would be just stupid in this situation.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Snail said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Snail said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Snail said:

"
    If the appeal isn't the speed, then what is it? There is nothing special about the gameplay whatsoever. The QTE made the game look super pathetic. Instead of being able to go one way or another, you tap a few buttons and then get put back on the linear path. The ramps, obstacles, rings in the air and whatever all sound mighty appealing, but I presume they all consist of just holding whatever is the forward equivalent for the perspective and jumping over them. That might sound great were this 1996, but that just seems so linear that it's basically a flash game with a few shiny graphics and a Hideki Naganuma soundtrack. I smirked at the 'sound macho' comment though. Made me read the rest of the post in Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice."
    It is not ONLY the speed... Why did the QTE make it sound pathetic? There is nothing wrong with it, if you think the game is pathetic don't use the QTE as an excuse, get a real argument. The QTE is like that in tons of games and there is no bad side to that unless you don't like any kind of QTE. And I think we sort of agree in this next point... Sonic should have a game like Super Mario Galaxy that doesn't feel like another 2D game like any other of his, and does not sound like a 3D version of those.
    Lol. xD let's just not flame at each other because we have different opinions. I love flaming but it would be just stupid in this situation.
    "
    If it's not only the speed, then what else is there? To me, the use of QTE made it sound like someone realised the game was incredibly linear and had to come up with a way of making it more varied. Not that I have a problem with QTE, but when it's for something like splitting up a level, it sounds shoehorned in. I think it was MattBodega who did a blog about what he thought the next Sonic game should be and something like Crackdown but applied to Sonic sounds like the only way that everyone's favourite blue hedgehog can be saved these days.
    I agree, though now I can't stop reading your posts in Arnie's voice.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Snail
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Snail said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Snail said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Snail said:

"
    "
    If it's not only the speed, then what else is there? To me, the use of QTE made it sound like someone realised the game was incredibly linear and had to come up with a way of making it more varied. Not that I have a problem with QTE, but when it's for something like splitting up a level, it sounds shoehorned in. I think it was MattBodega who did a blog about what he thought the next Sonic game should be and something like Crackdown but applied to Sonic sounds like the only way that everyone's favourite blue hedgehog can be saved these days.
    I agree, though now I can't stop reading your posts in Arnie's voice."
    I fucking replied to this but my post is no more. Give some hours to recover from the frustration..

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONCE!
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Snail

Here you go some proof:

Right here. Fucking bug.
    Right here. Fucking bug.
    And in case the other one is unreadable.
    And in case the other one is unreadable.
    And whenever I try to post the image of that fucking cat the image of this bug appears.. IT IS A CURSE!
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Willy105
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Bulldog19892 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    Fast doesn't equal fun when all you're doing is holding forward with the occasional strafe in the 3D sections and holding right in the 2.5D sections."
    It's a good thing the game isn't like that.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Willy105

I think the best part of this is it's polish. This game looks very polished, even it's 3D parts!

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Willy105 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Bulldog19892 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    It's a good thing the game isn't like that."
    That's exactly how it looked in the trailers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.