Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic Unleashed

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 14, 2008

Sonic Unleashed is two different Sonic titles released in 2008 across four consoles. Both titles feature high-speed Sonic stages, slower-paced "Werehog" levels, and town hubs where players must progress through the story.

The reason why Sonic can't stop sucking

Scarabus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Scarabus

..and his name is Akinori Nishiyama.

Listen to this. This is an interview he did with "Level", a swedish gaming mag, entitled "Five minutes with Akinori Nishiyama".
    This is how it reads, translated into english:

LVL: Why did you start working at Sega?

AN: I started my career at Sega in 1989. That was the time when the console war between Sega and Nintendo was at its peak. Sega was the underdog, but they were on their way to becoming bigger. I liked the idea of working for such a company and that's why I applied there. I was an artist at first and worked with a handful of Master system games before I got the opportunity to do Phantasy star IV. After that I became more of a producer and soon enough I ended up with the Sonic Team. It has mostly been about Sonic games but the highlight was probably Phantasy Star Online.

LVL: Lately, Sonic's stardom has dwindled somewhat. Does Sonic still have anything to offer? Why is he popular?
    AN: Obviously it's important for Sonic to be fast, but I don't think you should forget about Sonic's special character either. He's cocky and independent. Sonic doesn't listen to what other people say and does things in his own way. I think this free mentality appeals to a lot of those who likes Sonic. That's why we want to get more personal with Sonic Unleashed. Sonic should not just be a hedgehog that runs very fast. It's just as important why he's running and what he's thinking about while running.

(This is where the interview turns interesting)

LVL: Haven't that been the biggest problem with the latest Sonic games? He walks too much and falls in love?
    AN: Well, I don't agree. There are two kinds of games: the ones that appeals to your mind and the ones that appeals to your body. Sonic have so far been very much about the physical: to press buttons at the right moment and to get breathless from the high speeds. Because I've worked with games in so many different genres I believe I have good opportunities to bring out the other side of Sonic, the deeper side.

LVL: What does it mean that Yuji Naka is no longer working with Sonic Team? After all, he is the father of Sonic.
    AN: While working on the whole Sonic franchise, the idea has been to keep Sonic the same as much as possible, but of course we need to change him, and I don't think Naka would had liked the idea of turning Sonic into a monster in Sonic Unleashed. I actually met him recently and he looked at me hesitantly and said: "Was that such a good idea?"

There you have it. The reason why Sonic started kissing girls and overall became a francise for furries and ignorant 10 year olds.
    Akinori Nishiyama, in your Sonic franchise, fucking it all up, with a vengeance!
    Scarabus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Scarabus

..and his name is Akinori Nishiyama.

Listen to this. This is an interview he did with "Level", a swedish gaming mag, entitled "Five minutes with Akinori Nishiyama".
    This is how it reads, translated into english:

LVL: Why did you start working at Sega?

AN: I started my career at Sega in 1989. That was the time when the console war between Sega and Nintendo was at its peak. Sega was the underdog, but they were on their way to becoming bigger. I liked the idea of working for such a company and that's why I applied there. I was an artist at first and worked with a handful of Master system games before I got the opportunity to do Phantasy star IV. After that I became more of a producer and soon enough I ended up with the Sonic Team. It has mostly been about Sonic games but the highlight was probably Phantasy Star Online.

LVL: Lately, Sonic's stardom has dwindled somewhat. Does Sonic still have anything to offer? Why is he popular?
    AN: Obviously it's important for Sonic to be fast, but I don't think you should forget about Sonic's special character either. He's cocky and independent. Sonic doesn't listen to what other people say and does things in his own way. I think this free mentality appeals to a lot of those who likes Sonic. That's why we want to get more personal with Sonic Unleashed. Sonic should not just be a hedgehog that runs very fast. It's just as important why he's running and what he's thinking about while running.

(This is where the interview turns interesting)

LVL: Haven't that been the biggest problem with the latest Sonic games? He walks too much and falls in love?
    AN: Well, I don't agree. There are two kinds of games: the ones that appeals to your mind and the ones that appeals to your body. Sonic have so far been very much about the physical: to press buttons at the right moment and to get breathless from the high speeds. Because I've worked with games in so many different genres I believe I have good opportunities to bring out the other side of Sonic, the deeper side.

LVL: What does it mean that Yuji Naka is no longer working with Sonic Team? After all, he is the father of Sonic.
    AN: While working on the whole Sonic franchise, the idea has been to keep Sonic the same as much as possible, but of course we need to change him, and I don't think Naka would had liked the idea of turning Sonic into a monster in Sonic Unleashed. I actually met him recently and he looked at me hesitantly and said: "Was that such a good idea?"

There you have it. The reason why Sonic started kissing girls and overall became a francise for furries and ignorant 10 year olds.
    Akinori Nishiyama, in your Sonic franchise, fucking it all up, with a vengeance!
    Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Otacon

Very interesting.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By PureRok

Wow... trying to take a hedgehog to his "deeper" side.

Scarabus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Scarabus

I sort of get his point, but someone needs to explain to Mr. Nishiyama that Sonic is not the franchise for that kind of experimentation.
    The damage has already been done as it has strayed more and more into dangerous furry territory.

Avatar image for capncloudchaser
    CapnCloudchaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By CapnCloudchaser

I disagree with your post on two counts.

Firstly, you can't blame this one single person for 'fucking up' the Sonic franchise. A whole team of people work on a series like Sonic, from characterisation to the actual games themselves, and yeah, a lot of blood, sweat and tears go into producing a game. If the gameplay of Sonic had been perfect from day one, then no one would have really cared about the story or characterisation of Sonic. I don't believe that the story or characters make or break a game, although they certainly help with plot heavy games, but it is the gameplay experience itself that makes or breaks the game; with a good game, all dodgy stories and voice acting are usually forgiven. The Zelda series, to me, have appaling story and characterisation, but I forgive it and put up with it because the Zelda games are good games, for example. When Sega eventually get Sonic games spot on right, then no one will really care about anything else.

Secondly, games have evolved a long way from the 8/16 bit era. Gamers want their games to have depth, meaning and good characterisation. That's not applicable to all game types, but a lot of people want games and the game industry to evolve into a more mature territory with games that have realistic characters and a plot that can rival any good film. Game scripting isn't quite up their yet with films, but they are getting there and have the potential to become a medium that is more than just killing a lot of people or whatever. It's only natural that a series like Sonic evolves that way too, because characterisation and story does give the game meaning, other than being fun.

I'll admit that the story and characterisation of Sonic hasn't been handled very well (I love Sonic Adventure, but the cutscenes really make me cringe), but it's getting better, and I personally like exploring the personality of Sonic himself. The 2D games couldn't really represent his attitude or character particularly well, which is why we had comics and cartoons, whereas now we can incorperate that into the games themselves. I think the cutscenes of Unleashed are quite low key and charming, actually! I really hated Sonic 06 for reasons I won't go into :(

Not all Sonic fans are furries. As Akinori Nishiyama said, people relate to his attitude and personality.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#6  Edited By Vinchenzo
    CapnCloudchaser said:
    Not all Sonic fans are furries. As Akinori Nishiyama said, people relate to his attitude and personality.
    If you're 12.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Rowr
    Scarabus said:
    "LVL: What does it mean that Yuji Naka is no longer working with Sonic Team? After all, he is the father of Sonic.
    EVERYBODY knows it was a bad idea, it was always a bad idea, thanks for being an arrogant asshole and not listening to what people want.
    Scarabus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Scarabus

@CapnCloudchaser : He's the producer. He's very much the man to blame as he was the one making the final decisions. I agree that you can't blame him for say, slow load times or ugly graphics, but the overall direction of the game is entirely in his lap.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AuthenticM

OP, be sure to post this on the most forums as possible.

LCad said:

"Vinchenzo said:
    If you're 12.
    Owned."

Owned indeed. People tend to forget that it's video games we're talking about. Not a François Truffaut movie. Sure, games can have very compelling characters and storyline (bioShock, Final Fantasy, Halo, etc.), but this is Sonic we're talking about. Sonic the fucking Hedgehog. The only thing his game needs is good gameplay. Period. Nobody gives two shits about how independant or emancipated a hegehog he is.
    CapnCloudchaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CapnCloudchaser
    LCad said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    If you're 12.
    Owned."
    Wow, what thought out and intelligent responses.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vinchenzo
    CapnCloudchaser said:
    "LCad said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    If you're 12.
    Owned."
    "
    Wow, what a creepy individual who relates to Sonic's attitude and personality. As AuthenticM stated, the more adult games are the ones that it's fine to be emotional with. I find Half-Life the best example, as always. Sonic games are convoluted, awkward, and you can't really relate with a wild animal, no matter how cute they are. We don't go to Sonic for a story, we go to him for speed and a nostalgic feel when he use to be in quality games.
    Damonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Damonation

Why are they trying to make Sonic a deep character? Mario isn't that deep, he doesn't even talk. The reason Mario is so popular is that his character is so simple and easy to like. All you know about him is that he has a brother, saves the princess, and beats up Bowser. I'm not even sure hes still a plumber, you never see him with a plunger or anything. Sonic should be no different, he should run fast, collect rings and emeralds, and fight Robotnik. Keeping it simple is the best way to go in my opinion.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tekmojo

Here are some more reasons why Sonic sucks schlong.

2006 was a great year for Sonic.

Furry with submachine gun chick...

Worst characters/names ever created.

Time for Sonic to have furry sex.
    CapnCloudchaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CapnCloudchaser
    Vinchenzo said:
    "CapnCloudchaser said:
    "LCad said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    If you're 12.
    Owned."
    "
    Wow, what a creepy individual who relates to Sonic's attitude and personality. As AuthenticM stated, the more adult games are the ones that it's fine to be emotional with. I find Half-Life the best example, as always. Sonic games are convoluted, awkward, and you can't really relate with a wild animal, no matter how cute they are. We don't go to Sonic for a story, we go to him for speed and a nostalgic feel when he use to be in quality games."

I never said that I wanted an adult level of depth within Sonic games. It's a game marketed at kids after all, in the same way a lot of bright and colourful platform games are, and characters and stories within Sonic are mostly there to appeal to kids. The Werehog is mostly there to appeal to a non-adult audience, obviously.

I said up there somewhere that I was appalled with Sonic 06 and the direction that Sonic Adventure started to take. I really don't like the series becoming realistic a la Shadow and Sonic Adventure 2 although I forgave SA2 because it was a good game and I enjoyed the gameplay. Sonic 06 represented everything that was wrong with the Sonic series in my opinion. Does that mean Sonic can't have a story? Course not, it's some semblance of a plot that drives the game, otherwise why would you want to fight to the end of the game? For Sonic, it doesn't have to be complicated, it should really be as short, sweet and simple as it used to be; just Sonic fighting Dr Eggman and saving animals from Badniks or whatever. As I also said, I thought Unleashed handled the story very well, not that many cut-scenes, a great opening to start the game. Future Sonic games can improve on that. You can have depth within characters without unnecessary story telling, Mario handles that well, but maybe that's just me liking to analyse game characters because I study game stuff :O

It's part of my childhood nostalgia that I watched the Sonic cartoons growing up, so it's his attitude and personality I think of when I play a Sonic game, and a Sonic game without that isn't a Sonic game at all. Not that he has much of an attitude within his games these days >_>

Also, thanks for calling me creepy, it makes me feel special ;)
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I wonder how many dickholes his werehog Sonic fursuit has.

Yuji Naka should've kicked that guy in the dick last time he met him

DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DXSSI

I'll agree that the teased romance between Sonic and Princess Elise made no sense and had me on the point of retching at times.  I'll further agree that the storytelling in Sonic games, in general, has been pretty bad for years.  But if you honestly believe this is the reason why Sonic sucks, you're way off the mark.  The reason Sonic sucks is because the gameplay falls short of expectations every time.  When the gameplay falls short, we look to the storyline to keep us hooked, just as we do a television show or movie which features no gameplay at all.  Essentially we come for the game and stay for the story, as evidenced by the many, many games without a story at all.  The story is filler, an extra device by which the creators hope to capture our imaginations and make it easier to justify future sequels.  The story can be terrible and the game can still succeed with awesome gameplay, which Sonic, as of late, has not had.

As an example, here are some games with really shitty stories that succeeded in spite of themselves.

Banjo-Kazooie

Remember the storyline for Banjo-Kazooie?  ALL of it?  I sure didn't, at least, I had chosen to forget key parts of it.  Tooty was kidnapped (a character so lame she didn't warrant inclusion in any of the follow-up titles), which I remembered, but why was she kidnapped?  Because Gruntilda the Witch looked into her magical boiler pot and sought the name of the most beautiful girl of them all.  It wasn't her, and she was jealous.  The main premise is a deliberate rip-off of Snow White, and an awfully transparent one at that.  But the gameplay was awesome, and I didn't regret giving it another play-through at all when the XBLA version launched.

Katamari Damacy

So there's this King of All Cosmos, for all intents and purposes a god who apparently rules over all.  But instead of being all-good as most modern depictions of gods are, he is a royal screw-up who gets drunk and destroys 99% of the universe during a cosmic bender.  Try and make sense out of that.  Or anything in Katamari Damacy.  You can't, unless perhaps if you're on a cosmic bender yourself.  But nobody cares, because the game is a blast to play!  I guarantee if the game had been boring we'd all be mocking the pathetic storyline instead—I absolutely guarantee it.

Super Monkey Ball 2

Here's the thing about Super Monkey Ball 2—the magical spell is Ei-Ei-Poo!  Yes, those were the words the heroic monkey ballers used to encapsulate themselves in an attempt to stop the nefarious Dr. Bad Boon's plot to... um... see, this is exactly what I'm talking about.  I DON'T REMEMBER.  It probably had something to do with bananas, but I've really wiped that information from my brain.  Nevertheless, even knowing that the storyline is absolutely awful, I would definitely play SMB2 again because the gameplay was as good, if not better than the original game.  People didn't really start crapping on the series until Banana Blitz came out, which had questionable controls in the main game and beyond broken controls in the terribly rushed, overkilled mini-games section.  (There was also Super Monkey Ball Adventure, which most people overlook because it was farmed out to a developer that clearly didn't know what they were doing.)  All that said, now I have to look up the SMB2 storyline, and I was partially right.  Dr. Bad-Boon stole all of the bananas from Monkey Island or wherever.  Also he was an evil scientist from the future, who went back in time for the express purpose of stealing all of the bananas from Monkey Island, because he fell in love with Meemee, who in Dr. Bad-Boon's time was already married to Aiai, so somehow stealing the bananas would theoretically make her fall in love with him instead, before the marriage?  Yet Bad-Boon appears to be old, so theoretically a younger Bad-Boon should already exist in younger Meemee's time... why not go back in time and tell his younger self to make a play for Meemee before she met Aiai?  Why steal the bananas when you know that will just make the woman you're trying to pursue angry?  Why did the monkeys cast a magical spell trapping themselves in invincible flying spheres that become powerless, regular spheres at the first sign of danger, thus putting themselves in lethal jeopardy AAAAAAAARGH IT DOESN'T MATTER STOP WRECKING MY BRAIN

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But it seems to me that this guy is willing to make concessions in gameplay for the sake of story.
    Like Unleashed could've just been Sonic racing from end to end saving small animals that Dr Robotnik's enslaved, but he wanted to tell the story about Sonic changing into a werehog and therefore added this gameplay mechanic.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bjorno

Sonic has always sucked, there was and is no fun in running left for an entire game.

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BlazeHedgehog

I don't see anything that points to this guy being the problem. He said some weird stuff, certainly, but Sonic SHOULDN'T be a hedgehog that just runs very fast. There was more to the Sega Genesis games than just speed. Focusing exclusively on speed leads to a shallow game experience.

I'm not saying the Werehog is the answer, because it's not. Even SonicTeam has decided Sonic needs to be about speed exclusively (despite what Nishiyama is saying) - which is why you get stuff like the Werehog; they're trying to make sure you don't notice just how one-dimensional Sonic's speedy gameplay really is.

What they need to do is to make a Sonic game where Sonic himself can do everything. By that I mean, a Sonic game where you don't have to switch off to a different character for a different gameplay style - there shouldn't be a character dedicated to platforming, there shouldn't be a character dedicated to combat, there shouldn't be a character dedicated to exploration...

Sonic needs to do all of those things himself to have a broad diversity of gameplay. That's what the franchise needs.

CapnCloudchaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CapnCloudchaser
    DXSSI said:
    "I'll agree that the teased romance between Sonic and Princess Elise made no sense and had me on the point of retching at times.  I'll further agree that the storytelling in Sonic games, in general, has been pretty bad for years.  But if you honestly believe this is the reason why Sonic sucks, you're way off the mark.  The reason Sonic sucks is because the gameplay falls short of expectations every time."
    I think that's what I wanted to say, but you worded it much better than I did :O

I still have nightmares about Sonic 06!
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AuthenticM
    Damonation said:
    "Why are they trying to make Sonic a deep character? Mario isn't that deep, he doesn't even talk. The reason Mario is so popular is that his character is so simple and easy to like. All you know about him is that he has a brother, saves the princess, and beats up Bowser. I'm not even sure hes still a plumber, you never see him with a plunger or anything. Sonic should be no different, he should run fast, collect rings and emeralds, and fight Robotnik. Keeping it simple is the best way to go in my opinion."
    /thread
    clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By clarke0
    bjorno said:
    "Sonic has always sucked, there was and is no fun in running left for an entire game."
    Yeah, it wouldn't be much fun considering the objective is always to the RIGHT. Sonic was fun and endearing, but that was over a decade ago.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

To be hoenst, I feel as though Sonic games are rather decent, but Sonic just has a hate culture surrounding him and there's some sort of idealogy that any new sonic game has to be worse than horrible.

I actually thought that Sonic 2006 was rather good.  Same thing with Shadow the Hedgehog.
    Worse sonic this gen was Sonic and the Secret Rings (which I believe is the highest on metacritic, somehow)

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Vinchenzo
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "To be hoenst, I feel as though Sonic games are rather decent, but Sonic just has a hate culture surrounding him and there's some sort of idealogy that any new sonic game has to be worse than horrible.

I actually thought that Sonic 2006 was rather good.  Same thing with Shadow the Hedgehog.
    Worse sonic this gen was Sonic and the Secret Rings (which I believe is the highest on metacritic, somehow)"
    Your honesty? It's a sham. The Sonic games don't suck because of a "hate culture" as you put it. It sucks because it sucks. I like Sonic somewhat, and I gave Sonic the Hedgehog (Xbox 360) a chance, but guess what? Load times everywhere, I actually fell through the floor on the first level, etc.
    Scarabus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Scarabus

I hate the fact that so many people have this utopian view of Sonic in their minds. It's like the perfect Sonic game that everyone is collectively waiting for. You can see it on forums and gaming sites and whenever you read a pre-/review.
    - "Will this game finally be THE one we've been waiting for?"
    - "We know the past dozen games have sucked but this one will do something new and exciting for some reason, we're sure!"
    It pisses me off having to see the same idealistic thinking over and over again with every new game. I pointed this out way before Unleashed was released and people went over their way to defend it!
    Then when the game actually came out people felt the urge to justify their purchases by saying "Well, it wasn't terrible" and "Don't rack on Sonic. Sonic Adventure was fucking awesome!"

All I want is for people to admit to themselves that Sonic is a mediocre franchise at best, because it's not the same game they remembered and loved in the early 90s. It's much much worse than that.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By clarke0
    Scarabus said:
    "I hate the fact that so many people have this utopian view of Sonic in their minds. It's like the perfect Sonic game that everyone is collectively waiting for. You can see it on forums and gaming sites and whenever you read a pre-/review.
    - "We know the past dozen games have sucked but this one will do something new and exciting for some reason, we're sure!"
    It pisses me off having to see the same idealistic thinking over and over again with every new game. I pointed this out way before Unleashed was released and people went over their way to defend it!
    Then when the game actually came out people felt the urge to justify their purchases by saying "Well, it wasn't terrible" and "Don't rack on Sonic. Sonic Adventure was fucking awesome!"

All I want is for people to admit to themselves that Sonic is a mediocre franchise at best, because it's not the same game they remembered and loved in the early 90s. It's much much worse than that."
    this sums it up.
    this sums it up.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By Willy105

Sonic and the Black Knight doesn't fit into the Sonic Cycle however, since people hated it from the first announcement.

Avatar image for mario_galaxy_fan
    Mario_Galaxy_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By Mario_Galaxy_Fan

Sonic is just not as cool as he use to be.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PureRok said:
    "Wow... trying to take a hedgehog to his "deeper" side."
    And yes, Great Sonic game are over, it's not happening, sorry

CapnCloudchaser said:
    "LCad said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    If you're 12.
    Owned."
    "
    And this is an even better response there, you are 12.
    Scarabus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Scarabus

Was he ever cool? Cool as in "Sega does what Nintendon't" cool or genuinely cool?

Smithy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Smithy

There should not be a deeper side! wth is he thinking?

BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "To be hoenst, I feel as though Sonic games are rather decent, but Sonic just has a hate culture surrounding him and there's some sort of idealogy that any new sonic game has to be worse than horrible.

Worse sonic this gen was Sonic and the Secret Rings (which I believe is the highest on metacritic, somehow)"

Yeah, I gotta say, there's no "hate culture" around Sonic 2006 or Shadow. They are legitimately bad games, with bad controls, awful game mechanics, very little polish, and just generally poor design. The entire reason the "hate culture" might have formed is because of Sonic 2006 and Shadow.
    A_sexy_Viner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By A_sexy_Viner

I've always loved Sonic and they were fine, until Unleashed...

A freaking werehog... What the heck were they thinking? I mean at first! I thought It might be cool, like, is a whole new Sonic bigger and stronger, I thought he might be faster! But No.. He is a dang disgrace... I hate it, is just stupid

In normal state a single homing attack can take out a bunch of robots, and in werehog state which he is suppose to be stronger a punch does hardly nothing....

Now his arms stretch... What kind of %$&^ iS THAT!

Sonic is about SPEED!!!!!!!! Not been a lazy muscle rubber arm powerhouse with no power at all! What the heck is that? "Strong" but in normal stage is stronger and faster! BLAH! I could of made a better gimmic.

RIP_Icewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By RIP_Icewood
    Scarabus said:
    "I hate the fact that so many people have this utopian view of Sonic in their minds. It's like the perfect Sonic game that everyone is collectively waiting for. You can see it on forums and gaming sites and whenever you read a pre-/review.

All I want is for people to admit to themselves that Sonic is a mediocre franchise at best, because it's not the same game they remembered and loved in the early 90s. It's much much worse than that."
    There is a perfect Sonic game...its the one where he runs fast through level after level defeating bosses and collectings rings. If they went back to that simple yet fun gameplay, you would get a mediocre Sonic game atleast and not utter trash. No one cares about his love life or how many friends he has because he's not human and its hard to related emotionally with a fictional, non-humanoid character. Thats why Mario can get away with having a love and not Sonic.(And even Marios love life is used just to fuel the "plot")

People get so worked up by the constient release of poor Sonic games because Sonic is an industry icon and the team developing the game should treat his games with the same respect and put as much time and thought that go into every other Mario game.(for example) The point here is : 1. Dont milk the series 2. Dont give the character a (pointless) social life and 3. Spend more time thinking about gameplay tweaks and enhancements.

A_sexy_Viner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By A_sexy_Viner

Best Sonic game was Sonic adventures 2 for dreamcast, then maybe Sonic the hedgehog for 360

Even if the "This time speed wont be enough" slogan was a stupid thing to say... Silver was cool And shadow was awesome as well :)

But that "Speed wont be enough" is like saying "Sonic is not the main character anymore" I mean, that's sonic! That's his deal, SPEED! Saying speed is not enough Is like making a gun and saying "don't buy it.."

But the game was good after all :)

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Holy shit nearly 1500 views..but only 40 comments?

*scratches noggin*

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Kohe321

He needs to understand that people won't go to sonic to find a deep emotional character brooding with thoughts, and nor will they for an epic story line. It should just be all about the sense of speed and the feeling of  "wooah this is faaaast". Since when did a hedgehog become something with interesting things to say?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By Meowayne
      This is what  could be.
    kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kashif1

hell if he want to make a story then fine, but is it that hard to make a story without including something other than speed levels.  They need to learn to not slow sonic down.  and about the werehog, when i heard of him my image was of a fast character with move that allowed him to get to areas sonic couldn't.  Not a slow weak brute.   Do what you want with a story just don't mess up on gameplay.  (on another subject does anyone else find it ironic that the wii version of unleashed is half decent but the other ones suck).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.