For everyone that missed the Kevin Butler speech.

• 0 results
#1 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

I have here everyone the Kevin Butler speech. 

This is the best and funniest speech I have heard at E3. I hope this guy continues the commercials. Same with that little kid they hired for the PSP commercials. And he's right. E3 is all about the games. not some french jumping around on stage (no offense).
#2 Edited by TurboMan (7604 posts) -

One of the greatest monologues ever. 

Is it just me, or does anyone else think G4 tried to censor out the Olivia Munn joke? 

Edit: The arms joke is amazing, as well as french acrobats joke.

#3 Posted by Sanryd (1362 posts) -

Kevin Butler is the voice of a generation.

#4 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4896 posts) -

AND HIS NAME IS GAMING!

#5 Posted by JJWeatherman (14560 posts) -

It wasn't nearly as funny as the commercials.

#6 Posted by FateOfNever (1848 posts) -

I find it somewhat strange that Kevin Butler came out and gave a speech that had an underlying message of - "Stop console wars, they're pointless, everyone can enjoy gaming equally because there's no reason to try and get in a tizzy about someone else enjoying the same hobby as you but enjoys it on another platform" just before Sony then goes on to list a bunch of "we're going to try and foster console wars by snagging up as many exclusive things (not just games) that we can."  I mean, part of the message too was to try and stop this whole "hardcore vs casual" nonsense, but, I think that really also pertains some to console wars and the like as well.

Over all, his speech was great though.  I know that few people will probably walk away with the message of "we are all gamers, so stop this console war nonsense and this 'casual vs hardcore' crap, why can't someone enjoy the same hobby as you, but maybe not to the extent or in the exact same way that you do?" that he seemed to be going for, but, it was still fantastic and greatly entertaining.

#7 Posted by Smashlampjaw (220 posts) -

Too bad they didn't annouce any games after his speech, silly sony.

#8 Posted by Tebbit (4472 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" It wasn't nearly as funny as the commercials. "
But it was damn close, and that is truly impressive. Just imagine, he could have messed it up completely!
#9 Posted by JJWeatherman (14560 posts) -
@Tebbit said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
But it was damn close, and that is truly impressive. Just imagine, he could have messed it up completely! "
True, he didn't screw it up. I couldn't help but feel it could have been way better though.
#10 Posted by MisterMouse (3560 posts) -

It was a great speech!

#11 Posted by kanilehua (22 posts) -

I'm glad he was there, but most of that was gross.

#12 Posted by TurboMan (7604 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @Tebbit said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
But it was damn close, and that is truly impressive. Just imagine, he could have messed it up completely! "
True, he didn't screw it up. I couldn't help but feel it could have been way better though. "
I dunno, I thoroughly enjoy the low-brow slams that Butler dishes out to everyone. I think everything he did was on the same notch as the commercials 

I'm just glad the bit didn't fall flat on its face.
#13 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Man I wish Major Nelson made that exact same speech in the Microsoft presser.
#14 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

"Important things like arms, and a neck".

Done.

#15 Posted by gunslingerNZ (1908 posts) -
@Smashlampjaw said:
" Too bad they didn't annouce any games after his speech, silly sony. "
Too bad you didn't watch the press conference, sill boy.
#16 Edited by Gearhead (2251 posts) -

I'm just going to let Sean Elliot describe my feelings on this: 
"Who is Kevin Butler, and why is the enthusiast press so eager to laugh at his lousy sales pitch? Did Laser Tag demos lower standards?"

#17 Posted by ArclightBorealis (1563 posts) -

Best damn speech I ever heard in my life.

#18 Posted by Milkman (17028 posts) -

It was alright. I was a little disappointed though.

#19 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1738 posts) -

Uh dude, reeks of writers trying to reach the target audience, but try too hard and fail. Seriously, Olivia Munn jokes?

"All 'dem nerds like 'em some Olivia Munn, it's what the internets told us!"

#20 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -

He's a pro.  Nothing's more authentic than Kevin Butler.

#21 Posted by PhaggyBigNastyMcKill (564 posts) -

"Gaming is about having a ridiculously large TV for a one bedroom apartment."

#22 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@VilhelmNielsen said:
" Uh dude, reeks of writers trying to reach the target audience, but try too hard and fail. Seriously, Olivia Munn jokes?

"All 'dem nerds like 'em some Olivia Munn, it's what the internets told us!" "
Here's a clue: he's a fictional corporate shill character played by Jerry Lambert.
#23 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5441 posts) -

Guy's a fucking pro, for real. He didn't mess up in the slightest. No stuttering or slips or anything!

#24 Posted by Ghostiet (5289 posts) -
@Gearhead said:
" I'm just going to let Sean Elliot describe my feelings on this:  "Who is Kevin Butler, and why is the enthusiast press so eager to laugh at his lousy sales pitch? Did Laser Tag demos lower standards?" "
Why is a former San Antonio Spurs player talking about Kevin Butler?
#25 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1738 posts) -
@teh_pwnzorer said:
" @VilhelmNielsen said:
" Uh dude, reeks of writers trying to reach the target audience, but try too hard and fail. Seriously, Olivia Munn jokes?

"All 'dem nerds like 'em some Olivia Munn, it's what the internets told us!" "
Here's a clue: he's a fictional corporate shill character played by Jerry Lambert. "
That's exactly my point. It's too much of an ad to be funny.
#26 Posted by teh_pwnzorer (1482 posts) -
@VilhelmNielsen said:
" That's exactly my point. It's too much of an ad to be funny. "
Yeah, I'd find it funnier if he was advertising Demon's Souls 2 at some point instead of motion controls...
#27 Posted by VWGTI (1919 posts) -

That guy is the man!

#28 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

I'm sure the neckbeards loved it. "He's talking about us!"

#29 Posted by ProfessorEss (7450 posts) -

I love the Kevin Butler character, but I think he should stick to TV.
I didn't particularly enjoy it.

#30 Posted by Lunchbox55 (19 posts) -

Thanks for posting this! Damn G4 stream cut out right in the middle :-(
#31 Posted by marrec (256 posts) -
@tdk08 said:
" Kevin Butler is the voice of a generation. "
A commercial is the voice of a generation? I like the guy and all, but he is the voice of Sony, not me.
#32 Posted by pbhawks45 (736 posts) -

Amazing.

#33 Posted by Insectecutor (1197 posts) -

Not sure about the whole step yo' game up, biatch, shit that followed. Looked a little awkward. Maybe I will warm to it. Butler's speech was pretty good, though.

#34 Posted by ChickenPants (934 posts) -

Best thing I've ever seen at an e3 press conference.

#35 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

I've said it a thousand times before and I'll say it again, Kevin Butler 
is 
teh 
SHIT! 

I mean, seriously. He is THE man! Look at this E3 appearance.

#36 Posted by VIGGO123 (553 posts) -

I bet Mister KB can get even the NEVER-lady into gaming.

#37 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

It was good, although not as great as the ads. Didn't miss a beat.

#38 Posted by DewRequired (122 posts) -

I'm torn between whether to point out how dumb this was or how awesome this was, in a dumb sort of awesome way.

But that arms joke was great.

#39 Posted by Sanryd (1362 posts) -
@marrec said:
" @tdk08 said:
A commercial is the voice of a generation? I like the guy and all, but he is the voice of Sony, not me. "
Thou shalt not speak such blasphemy towards the Butler. I BANISH YOU FROM TEH INTERNETZ!!!
#40 Posted by marrec (256 posts) -
@tdk08 said:
" @marrec said:
" @tdk08 said:
A commercial is the voice of a generation? I like the guy and all, but he is the voice of Sony, not me. "
Thou shalt not speak such blasphemy towards the Butler. I BANISH YOU FROM TEH INTERNETZ!!! "
My bad bro, but can I stay on teh internetz? I mean, I've won an internetz or two in my day and I'd hate to just leave them behind because I think KB is a funny tool.
#41 Posted by Djeffers03 (2545 posts) -

Loved it.

#42 Posted by J0n3s1 (295 posts) -

That guy is awesome..

#43 Posted by ToadRunner (277 posts) -

i fucking love kevin butler

#44 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1789 posts) -

I thought it was funny. Still resulted in people insulting each other about other things. I'm easily entertained. I just like not being so angry about everything.    

#45 Posted by fei0x (111 posts) -

That speech was epic. We all laughed when he mentioned watching it at work.

#46 Posted by septim (774 posts) -

After putting off plans and staying home to watch the MS abortion, I felt so depressed about the future of gaming.

So I didn't bother watching any coverage today. This was one the first things I clicked on.

That speech totally nails it, and re-affirms my interest in this hobby.

#47 Posted by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -

I dont care what anyone says, this and that Twisted Metal Ice Cream Truck on stage thing made my E3 so far. (oh, that and 3DS)
#48 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@FateOfNever: I'm with you on that. Though I liked the speech a lot. The only thing that upset me on this conference is that Jack Tretton mentioned that he loves the word "exclusive". I own a PS3, 360, Wii, and a gaming PC. This kind of got to me.
#49 Posted by Stackboy (503 posts) -

He summed up why I love being a gamer.

#50 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" @Tebbit said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
True, he didn't screw it up. I couldn't help but feel it could have been way better though. "
I kinda got the same feeling.  But I'll take not-as-good-as-the-commercials Butler than no Butler at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.