Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sony Interactive Entertainment America

Company »

Sony Interactive Entertainment America is the North American subsidiary of Sony Interactive Entertainment. SIEA is responsible for publishing and marketing Sony's hardware and software in that region.

PS3 sales up 14,000% in japan

• 74 results
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By L33tfella_H
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    It obviously is since you dont seem to understand it either.

Stop Taking Drugs and the chart'll make sense.
    Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Mooshu

It isn't so hard to believe really. They weren't buying the 360 because it was American, and they weren't buying the PS3 because it was too big/expensive. You remove both those issues, the PS3 suddenly becomes a much more appealing console. 

I'm just happy the Japanese are actually buying a next-gen console in large numbers now. It will hopefully mean that Japanese game developers will make more next-gen games instead of just PSP, Wii, and DS games.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#53  Edited By KamasamaK
    @Emilio said:
    " Doesn't a 14,000% increase just mean that PS3 was selling poorly for a long time? "
    No, it just means it was selling poorly the previous week.
    KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By KillaMaStA
    @Kamasama said:
    " @Emilio said:
    " Doesn't a 14,000% increase just mean that PS3 was selling poorly for a long time? "
    No, it just means it was selling poorly the previous week. "
    Yea it was down by alot last week since everyone was waiting for the Slim to drop.
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#55  Edited By Red12b

this thread amuses me.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By trophyhunter
    @oldschool said:
    " @Emilio said:
    This.  It is easy to get a big percentage increase when operating form a low base.  They are good numbers, don't get me wrong, but it only reinforces how poorly the sales have been (largely due to shortages and people holding off).  I don't think anyone  should excited for a couple of months when we see what a consistent baseline the PS3 is achieving. "
    well yeah if you sold zero last week and 100,000 the next week that that would be a 100,000% increase
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By crunchUK
    @WilliamRLBaker said:
    " um what?!

- PS3: 151,783 150,743 (14,494.52%)    but it went down?.... "
    i think the right number is the amount ity has increased by. This is pretty amazing though
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By KamasamaK
    @trophyhunter said:
    " well yeah if you sold zero last week and 100,000 the next week that that would be a 100,000% increase "
    No, that would be an undefined increase.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#59  Edited By oldschool
    @Mooshu said:
    " It isn't so hard to believe really. They weren't buying the 360 because it was American, and they weren't buying the PS3 because it was too big/expensive. You remove both those issues, the PS3 suddenly becomes a much more appealing console.   I'm just happy the Japanese are actually buying a next-gen console in large numbers now. It will hopefully mean that Japanese game developers will make more next-gen games instead of just PSP, Wii, and DS games. "
    They already have been buying a next gen (current gen) console and it has been in the millions and millions, it is called the Wii.  Sheesh  :-(
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Kamasama said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " well yeah if you sold zero last week and 100,000 the next week that that would be a 100,000% increase "
    No, that would be an undefined increase. "
    ok then if you sold 1 last week then it would work
    KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By KillaMaStA
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @Kamasama said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    ok then if you sold 1 last week then it would work "
    If you sold 1 before then it wouldn`t it be a 1,000,000% increase? But I get your point
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By oldschool
    @KillaMaStA said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " @Kamasama said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    If you sold 1 before then it wouldn`t it be a 1,000,000% increase? But I get your point "
    Wow, mathematics is taking a real beating on this thread  ^_^
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By trophyhunter
    @oldschool said:
    " @KillaMaStA said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " @Kamasama said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    If you sold 1 before then it wouldn`t it be a 1,000,000% increase? But I get your point "
    Wow, mathematics is taking a real beating on this thread  ^_^ "
    I was not born in a math factory
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, you can't be a fanboy of either the 360 or PS3 AND a fanboy of math, now can you?

Screw Kaz Hirai and whoever took over for Peter Moore, Stephen Hawking is cooler than both those assholes

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By KamasamaK
    @KillaMaStA said:
    " @trophyhunter said:
    " ok then if you sold 1 last week then it would work "
    Actually, 9,999,900% but you get the point.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Scooper

This is all fake because we all know you can't beat 100%.

Thread over.

Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Mooshu
    @oldschool said:
    " @Mooshu said:
    " It isn't so hard to believe really. They weren't buying the 360 because it was American, and they weren't buying the PS3 because it was too big/expensive. You remove both those issues, the PS3 suddenly becomes a much more appealing console.   I'm just happy the Japanese are actually buying a next-gen console in large numbers now. It will hopefully mean that Japanese game developers will make more next-gen games instead of just PSP, Wii, and DS games. "
    They already have been buying a next gen (current gen) console and it has been in the millions and millions, it is called the Wii.  Sheesh  :-( "
     I don't consider the Wii a true next-gen console as it still primarily uses last gen tech. It has graphics on par with the Gamecube, it doesn't have a robust online infrastructure like the 360 and Wii does, and it's targeted more towards the casual gamer than anyone else. Really the only thing different about the Wii are the motion controls, and thats hardly anything new, Nintendo simply perfected it and made it viable. 

It's a good console, I own one myself, and there are plenty of great games for it... But Next-gen it aint.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By oldschool
    @Mooshu said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Mooshu said:
    They already have been buying a next gen (current gen) console and it has been in the millions and millions, it is called the Wii.  Sheesh  :-( "
     I don't consider the Wii a true next-gen console as it still primarily uses last gen tech. It has graphics on par with the Gamecube, it doesn't have a robust online infrastructure like the 360 and Wii does, and it's targeted more towards the casual gamer than anyone else. Really the only thing different about the Wii are the motion controls, and thats hardly anything new, Nintendo simply perfected it and made it viable.  It's a good console, I own one myself, and there are plenty of great games for it... But Next-gen it aint. "
    It can't be viewed that way, otherwise, the DS is ..... what, until it is as powerful as the PSP.  It isn't about power, just about the mainstream consoles of the day.  The Wii is significant;y different from the Gamecube for it not to matter.  Playing Super Mario Galaxy or even Rune Factory Frontier shows how advanced from the Gamecube it is.  Glad to know you enjoy Wii otherwise.
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#69  Edited By super_machine

Its been said already, but...

No Caption Provided
    Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Mooshu

@oldschool said:

It can't be viewed that way, otherwise, the DS is ..... what, until it is as powerful as the PSP.  It isn't about power, just about the mainstream consoles of the day.  The Wii is significant;y different from the Gamecube for it not to matter.  Playing Super Mario Galaxy or even Rune Factory Frontier shows how advanced from the Gamecube it is.  Glad to know you enjoy Wii otherwise. "

The DS could actually be considered quite powerful. While it's true it basically desplays N64 level graphics to the PSP's Dreamcast or early PS2 graphics, the DS has two screens. That requires a fair amount of power, maybe not graphically.. but otherwise.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Insectecutor
    @oldschool said:

" @Emilio said:

This.  It is easy to get a big percentage increase when operating form a low base.  They are good numbers, don't get me wrong, but it only reinforces how poorly the sales have been (largely due to shortages and people holding off).  I don't think anyone  should excited for a couple of months when we see what a consistent baseline the PS3 is achieving. "
    And don't forget this is a week-on-week increase. They sold fuck all last week (down 65%) because nobody wanted a PS3 fat when they could hold off a week and get a much cheaper PS3 slim. The increase isn't that surprising when you look at the figures for previous weeks, and account for how people have been holding off over the last few months since the rumours of the slim first broke.

@Mooshu said:
    "

@oldschool said:

It can't be viewed that way, otherwise, the DS is ..... what, until it is as powerful as the PSP.  It isn't about power, just about the mainstream consoles of the day.  The Wii is significant;y different from the Gamecube for it not to matter.  Playing Super Mario Galaxy or even Rune Factory Frontier shows how advanced from the Gamecube it is.  Glad to know you enjoy Wii otherwise. "

The DS could actually be considered quite powerful. While it's true it basically desplays N64 level graphics to the PSP's Dreamcast or early PS2 graphics, the DS has two screens. That requires a fair amount of power, maybe not graphically.. but otherwise.

"
    It's nothing to do with power, it's down to marketability. The DS is a much easier system to market than the PSP: it's cheap, durable, has a long battery life and an intuitive pen interface. It's an accessible, simple machine. Nobody floating along in the mainstream gives a shit about power, they care about whether the games are fun to play.

PSP is a handheld for gamers but  DS is a handheld for everyone. Nintendo made a smart move there.
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#72  Edited By Snail

Holy motherfuckin' shit.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That's a lot of percents.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#74  Edited By RHCPfan24

HOLY SHIT. That is intense. I guess they really liked the Slim....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.