Sony Denies Reports of Kaz Hirai Movin’ On Up

Posted by patrickklepek (3398 posts) -
In a different world, Ken Kutaragi and Kaz Hirai ascended the corporate ladder, hand-in-hand.

In what comes across as merely hemming and hawing before the inevitable, Sony released a brief statement today pushing back on reports that executive Kaz Hirai, long associated with the PlayStation division, would become the company’s president.

According to the original report, Hirai would be Sony's new president, and current CEO Howard Stringer would retain his position. It’s been expected Hirai would eventually replace Stringer.

“Certain media reports were published on January 7, 2012 regarding Sony Corporation's executive officers' appointments,” said the company. “Sony Corporation has made no announcement in this regard and nothing has been determined at this time.”

That’s not exactly a denial, either.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3398 posts) -
In a different world, Ken Kutaragi and Kaz Hirai ascended the corporate ladder, hand-in-hand.

In what comes across as merely hemming and hawing before the inevitable, Sony released a brief statement today pushing back on reports that executive Kaz Hirai, long associated with the PlayStation division, would become the company’s president.

According to the original report, Hirai would be Sony's new president, and current CEO Howard Stringer would retain his position. It’s been expected Hirai would eventually replace Stringer.

“Certain media reports were published on January 7, 2012 regarding Sony Corporation's executive officers' appointments,” said the company. “Sony Corporation has made no announcement in this regard and nothing has been determined at this time.”

That’s not exactly a denial, either.

Staff
#2 Edited by Nautilus1515 (51 posts) -

finally, I dont have to make stupid first comments

#3 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

That kind of sucks.

#4 Posted by BaconGames (3285 posts) -

First Nintendo, now Sony. Flaky Japanese video game companies are flaky.

#5 Posted by reelife (315 posts) -

That's... odd

#6 Posted by Terranova (581 posts) -

They will most likely wait until the strat of the new financial year and then announce the change makes it look better to shareholders etc.

#7 Posted by endaround (2136 posts) -

"The trial balloon we floated clearly does not reflect any possibility of what we might possibly do"

#8 Posted by Ozone (104 posts) -

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER

#9 Posted by heatDrive88 (2264 posts) -

You know all of you were thinkin' it.

#10 Posted by Siphillis (1290 posts) -

First Miyamoto, now this. Maybe it's time we wait for the company to comment before treating it as news.

#11 Edited by ProfessorEss (7254 posts) -

I'm starting to feel like "1. Leak - 2. Deny - 3. Wait for it - 4. Confirm" has become Sony's official way of making announcements.

#12 Posted by KaneRobot (1398 posts) -

Excuse me, that's SIR Howard Stringer to you.

#13 Posted by HarrySound (225 posts) -

Really?

I dunno, this guy seems like he could detroy not employ....

#14 Posted by Vexxan (4612 posts) -

Meh, he'll get that job eventually.

#15 Posted by ajamafalous (11823 posts) -
@ProfessorEss said:

I'm starting to feel like "1. Leak - 2. Deny - 3. Wait for it - 4. Confirm" has become Sony's official way of making announcements.

#16 Edited by ges75022 (50 posts) -

@heatDrive88: You bet I was thinking about this song when I was reading this.

#17 Posted by Tomzombie (396 posts) -

@heatDrive88: Exactly

#18 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

I now have no idea who runs anything at Sony anymore

#19 Posted by Franstone (1087 posts) -

This just in from a very reliable source (my dog):

Bill Gates is running for president of the United States.

Spread it like wild-fire my little lovelies....

; )

#20 Posted by natetodamax (19169 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised if Kaz Hirai received this promotion some time in the near future. He's been with Sony for over 20 years so it wouldn't be at all surprising.

#21 Posted by Brendan (7670 posts) -

@Franstone said:

This just in from a very reliable source (my dog):

Bill Gates is running for president of the United States.

Spread it like wild-fire my little lovelies....

; )

Your dog talks!?

#22 Posted by Tukenstein (28 posts) -

This just in! Man with talking dog starts fires!

#23 Posted by demonknightinuyasha (457 posts) -

So what they're really saying is he's skipping president and going straight to CEO >_>

#24 Edited by MeatSim (10741 posts) -

They just aren't ready for all Ridge Racer Sony future.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.