Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sony Interactive Entertainment

Company »

Sony Interactive Entertainment is a subsidiary of the Sony Corporation responsible for Research & Development, production, and sales of hardware and software for the PlayStation line of handheld and video game consoles.

Sony's E3 2012 Press Conference: A Bloody, Post-Apocalyptic Quantic Fever Dream

• 151 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

After Microsoft's relatively tepid showing this morning, Sony didn't need to do a lot to "beat" Microsoft--at least insomuch as you can "beat" anybody at putting on press conferences. But that didn't stop Sony from putting on a strong showing that put a hyperfocus on games. Big ones, in fact.

The show opened with a surprise showing in Beyond, the latest game from Heavy Rain developer Quantic Dream. Studio head David Cage arrived on the scene to deliver a lot of heady talk about games exploring the concept of death and existence beyond it. What that translated to was a seemingly gameplay-free demo that featured a cop talking to a bald woman. I suppose it's worth mentioning that said bald woman was played by Ellen Page. Oh, and that she seems to have telekinetic powers.

What lies Beyond? Juno does.

Most of the demo revolved around the cop talking at Page's character, who refused to speak or answer questions. At one point, the cop sets down a coffee cup on his desk, and in an unexplained moment of weirdness, Paige seemingly makes the cup fly off the desk and into a wall. The cop, appropriately, backs away slowly.

This leads to an apparent stand-off with a mysterious S.W.A.T. force that appears to be aware of the girl's existence and is summarily cautious of her powers. That plot thread, however, is never tied up. Instead, the demo video cut to a montage featuring more scenes of action and dialogue with Paige, who also seems to be connected to some kind of mysterious entity known as Aiden. So it's weird, it's cinematic, and heavy on befuddling dialogue. Sounds like a Quantic Dream game to me.

From there, we then moved on to the totally thematically consistent PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale. Not a lot of surprises there. Battle was shown between a quartet of characters (Kratos, Sly Cooper, Fat Princess, and Sweet Tooth) that, yeah, did look an awful lot like Smash Bros. Look, I don't want to knock a game for looking similar to another game, since making games that look like other games is pretty much the guiding ethos of the entire game industry. And, for what it's worth, the combat looked like it had some merit to it, in that over-the-top Smash Bros. way.

This led to a number of product announcements from Sony man Jack Tretton, including the revelations that PlayStation Plus would be getting a gang of free games in the coming year, and that PSOne games would be headed to Vita in the near future. Interestingly, beyond this and the announcement of cross-platform play for PS All-Stars on the Vita (yes, it's definitely coming to the handheld), the Vita was largely absent from the proceedings.

Granted, a couple of big games were announced. Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified was confirmed for the platform (though nothing was shown), and Ubisoft did reveal its new Assassin's Creed III spinoff for the system. Subtitled Liberation, this new AC features a female assassin (who I'm pretty sure is a pirate of some fashion) and is set in New Orleans in the years leading up to the American Revolution. However, beyond these two titles, Sony mostly seemed focused on PS3 and Network stuff, which is interesting, considering the recent struggles of the Vita.

Ubisoft didn't just show Liberation at the show. They also showed an additional demo of AC III, which featured a bizarre, yet cool-looking naval sequence, in which you find yourself steering a boat in the middle of a naval combat scenario. Some people seemed confused and thought this was a Liberation demo, but no, it was definitely AC III. Additionally, Ubi showed off a new four-player co-op mode for Far Cry 3 that looked...interesting? It was hard to tell based on the footage shown, but it could certainly be a cool addition. Less boobs in that demo, in case you were wondering.

I don't know that I can appropriately emphasize just how goofy this Wonderbooks stuff looked.
    I don't know that I can appropriately emphasize just how goofy this Wonderbooks stuff looked.

Following the Ubi segments, the show got...weird. It was clear from the moment PlayStation Move was mentioned that we were probably in for something totally kooky, but I don't think anyone expected Wonderbooks.

That's right, Wonderbooks! They're books! Full of wonder! And by wonder, I mean AR codes.

Yes, Wonderbooks are books that use the PS3's augmented reality tech to create wondrous interactive images using the PlayStation Eye. The big get for this segment was the revelation that J.K. Rowling was working in conjunction with Sony to create Book of Spells, a Wonderbook based on the same stuff found on the Pottermore website. Interestingly, the demonstrators went to great pains to avoid mentioning Harry Potter by name, though the obvious wizarding connections are obvious once you see the thing in action.

Trouble is, seeing it in action doesn't necessarily explain what the hell is going on with this thing. The decision to cut between three different people playing the same game didn't do much for demo coherence, but the AR stuff just seemed bizarre. Also, I hate to nitpick, but when something is called a "book," I tend to presume that there are words in it. This doesn't really appear to be the case here.

After a very lengthy demonstration featuring people who looked like they'd been hanging around an opium den all day, the conference finally moved back to major game stuff. Namely, two of the biggest upcoming exclusives for the platform: God of War: Ascension, and The Last of Us.

Look, I'm as big of a fan of God of War as there is, but even I have to admit that the idea of yet another Kratos-brand vengeance bender seemed...unnecessary? I can't say that the Ascension demo did much to sway my feelings on its superfluousness, but hey, it sure did look pretty. Unsurprisingly, the demo was replete with gory attacks, ugly monsters (chief among them, creatures of the goat and elephant variety), and Kratos generally looking displeased with everything. The one new wrinkle shown was some manner of time-shifting craziness. Kratos has a bracelet that seemingly rewinds time, or at least restores destroyed scenery. Little context beyond the rebuilding of an obliterated dock was given, but hey, at least it's something outside of the usual square, square, triangle stabbery.

And then there is The Last of Us. My immediate instinct with this game is to try and find fault with it, mostly because I've been burned by so many games that excited the hell out of me over the years. But I can't do it. Watching the reps from Naughty Dog play through this thing, I got giddy. Straight. Up. Giddy.

I don't know that I've seen a game make hand-to-hand combat look insanely painful better than The Last of Us.
    I don't know that I've seen a game make hand-to-hand combat look insanely painful better than The Last of Us.

The demo itself featured game protagonists Ellie and Joel exploring a water-logged part of the city. Evidently having just escaped a brush with some bad guys, they suddenly find themselves brushing with more bad guys, who are exploring an abandoned building they're hiding near. Joel immediately leaps into action, sneaking behind one guy and Brutus The Barber Beefcake-ing him into submission, followed by a protracted battle with the remaining bad guys.

I don't want to be that guy who champions horrible, grotesque violence, but this is my thing: violence in games is often numbing because it feels sort of consequence-less. You're just running around and your character is barely reacting to getting shot or getting hit. Enemies make these corny death animations that barely seem real. I don't know what hoodoo is going on under the hood in The Last of Us, but at the very least, Naughty Dog has found a way to make violence feel brutal. When anyone gets punched, kicked, or hit with an object in this game, I cringe in sympathetic pain. When Joel gets shot, he gets majorly knocked back. Yes, he can take multiple bullets, but shut up. Video games.

The question, of course, is how is The Last of Us going to play? No idea, and my understanding is that Naughty Dog won't be giving hands-on demos at this show. I'll be sure to stare at the controller the demoer is holding extra hard when I have my appointment with the game this week.

All in all, a relatively strong showing from Sony. They didn't show a lot of games, but the ones they did were almost all bangers. You can harp on the Wonderbooks stuff all you like--or, do as I'm doing and dismiss it altogether--but the games at least ranged from fantastic-looking to intriguing. And while some might be disappointed that Sony said nothing of its eventual next-gen console (supposedly codenamed "Orbis"), it's hard to be too mad when there are real life games that I want to be playing on the console I already have.

Random Thoughts:

• There was a part of me that believed that Sony would mention something about Orbis, just to seem way more ahead of the game after Microsoft opted to skip mentioning anything. No dice, it seems. Again, not complaining.
    • I could listen to Andrew House pronounce the word "innovative" for the rest of time. It's an inspired pronunciation.
    • There were a number of PlayStation Blog readers in the audience of tonight's conference, which explains why people were hooting and hollering after every other sentence.
    • I do not care for the idea of a Big Daddy as a PlayStation All-Stars character. Not because I don't think he'll play well. I just don't associate the BioShock franchise with PlayStation, really. I mean, those versions of the game weren't exactly top flight, remember?
    • Jack Tretton's call out of Kaz Hirai actually felt like a genuinely sweet moment. Glad to see that running the rest of Sony hasn't erased Kaz's ability to show up and promote some games.
    • Was really betting on some kind of Syphon Filter announcement. No dice.

Tomorrow, we check out Nintendo, and then it's E3 show floor time. Prepare yourselves accordingly.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

After Microsoft's relatively tepid showing this morning, Sony didn't need to do a lot to "beat" Microsoft--at least insomuch as you can "beat" anybody at putting on press conferences. But that didn't stop Sony from putting on a strong showing that put a hyperfocus on games. Big ones, in fact.

The show opened with a surprise showing in Beyond, the latest game from Heavy Rain developer Quantic Dream. Studio head David Cage arrived on the scene to deliver a lot of heady talk about games exploring the concept of death and existence beyond it. What that translated to was a seemingly gameplay-free demo that featured a cop talking to a bald woman. I suppose it's worth mentioning that said bald woman was played by Ellen Page. Oh, and that she seems to have telekinetic powers.

Most of the demo revolved around the cop talking at Page's character, who refused to speak or answer questions. At one point, the cop sets down a coffee cup on his desk, and in an unexplained moment of weirdness, Paige seemingly makes the cup fly off the desk and into a wall. The cop, appropriately, backs away slowly.

This leads to an apparent stand-off with a mysterious S.W.A.T. force that appears to be aware of the girl's existence and is summarily cautious of her powers. That plot thread, however, is never tied up. Instead, the demo video cut to a montage featuring more scenes of action and dialogue with Paige, who also seems to be connected to some kind of mysterious entity known as Aiden. So it's weird, it's cinematic, and heavy on befuddling dialogue. Sounds like a Quantic Dream game to me.

From there, we then moved on to the totally thematically consistent PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale. Not a lot of surprises there. Battle was shown between a quartet of characters (Kratos, Sly Cooper, Fat Princess, and Sweet Tooth) that, yeah, did look an awful lot like Smash Bros. Look, I don't want to knock a game for looking similar to another game, since making games that look like other games is pretty much the guiding ethos of the entire game industry. And, for what it's worth, the combat looked like it had some merit to it, in that over-the-top Smash Bros. way.

This led to a number of product announcements from Sony man Jack Tretton, including the revelations that PlayStation Plus would be getting a gang of free games in the coming year, and that PSOne games would be headed to Vita in the near future. Interestingly, beyond this and the announcement of cross-platform play for PS All-Stars on the Vita (yes, it's definitely coming to the handheld), the Vita was largely absent from the proceedings.

Granted, a couple of big games were announced. Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified was confirmed for the platform (though nothing was shown), and Ubisoft did reveal its new Assassin's Creed III spinoff for the system. Subtitled Liberation, this new AC features a female assassin (who I'm pretty sure is a pirate of some fashion) and is set in New Orleans in the years leading up to the American Revolution. However, beyond these two titles, Sony mostly seemed focused on PS3 and Network stuff, which is interesting, considering the recent struggles of the Vita.

Ubisoft didn't just show Liberation at the show. They also showed an additional demo of AC III, which featured a bizarre, yet cool-looking naval sequence, in which you find yourself steering a boat in the middle of a naval combat scenario. Some people seemed confused and thought this was a Liberation demo, but no, it was definitely AC III. Additionally, Ubi showed off a new four-player co-op mode for Far Cry 3 that looked...interesting? It was hard to tell based on the footage shown, but it could certainly be a cool addition. Less boobs in that demo, in case you were wondering.

Following the Ubi segments, the show got...weird. It was clear from the moment PlayStation Move was mentioned that we were probably in for something totally kooky, but I don't think anyone expected Wonderbooks.

That's right, Wonderbooks! They're books! Full of wonder! And by wonder, I mean AR codes.

Yes, Wonderbooks are books that use the PS3's augmented reality tech to create wondrous interactive images using the PlayStation Eye. The big get for this segment was the revelation that J.K. Rowling was working in conjunction with Sony to create Book of Spells, a Wonderbook based on the same stuff found on the Pottermore website. Interestingly, the demonstrators went to great pains to avoid mentioning Harry Potter by name, though the obvious wizarding connections are obvious once you see the thing in action.

Trouble is, seeing it in action doesn't necessarily explain what the hell is going on with this thing. The decision to cut between three different people playing the same game didn't do much for demo coherence, but the AR stuff just seemed bizarre. Also, I hate to nitpick, but when something is called a "book," I tend to presume that there are words in it. This doesn't really appear to be the case here.

After a very lengthy demonstration featuring people who looked like they'd been hanging around an opium den all day, the conference finally moved back to major game stuff. Namely, two of the biggest upcoming exclusives for the platform: God of War: Ascension, and The Last of Us.

Look, I'm as big of a fan of God of War as there is, but even I have to admit that the idea of yet another Kratos-brand vengeance bender seemed...unnecessary? I can't say that the Ascension demo did much to sway my feelings on its superfluousness, but hey, it sure did look pretty. Unsurprisingly, the demo was replete with gory attacks, ugly monsters (chief among them, creatures of the goat and elephant variety), and Kratos generally looking displeased with everything. The one new wrinkle shown was some manner of time-shifting craziness. Kratos has a bracelet that seemingly rewinds time, or at least restores destroyed scenery. Little context beyond the rebuilding of an obliterated dock was given, but hey, at least it's something outside of the usual square, square, triangle stabbery.

And then there is The Last of Us. My immediate instinct with this game is to try and find fault with it, mostly because I've been burned by so many games that excited the hell out of me over the years. But I can't do it. Watching the reps from Naughty Dog play through this thing, I got giddy. Straight. Up. Giddy.

The demo itself featured game protagonists Ellie and Joel exploring a water-logged part of the city. Evidently having just escaped a brush with some bad guys, they suddenly find themselves brushing with more bad guys, who are exploring an abandoned building they're hiding near. Joel immediately leaps into action, sneaking behind one guy and Brutus The Barber Beefcake-ing him into submission, followed by a protracted battle with the remaining bad guys.

I don't want to be that guy who champions horrible, grotesque violence, but this is my thing: violence in games is often numbing because it feels sort of consequence-less. You're just running around and your character is barely reacting to getting shot or getting hit. Enemies make these corny death animations that barely seem real. I don't know what hoodoo is going on under the hood in The Last of Us, but at the very least, Naughty Dog has found a way to make violence feel brutal. When anyone gets punched, kicked, or hit with an object in this game, I cringe in sympathetic pain. When Joel gets shot, he gets majorly knocked back. Yes, he can take multiple bullets, but shut up. Video games.

The question, of course, is how is The Last of Us going to play? No idea, and my understanding is that Naughty Dog won't be giving hands-on demos at this show. I'll be sure to stare at the controller the demoer is holding extra hard when I have my appointment with the game this week.

All in all, a relatively strong showing from Sony. They didn't show a lot of games, but the ones they did were almost all bangers. You can harp on the Wonderbooks stuff all you like--or, do as I'm doing and dismiss it altogether--but the games at least ranged from fantastic-looking to intriguing. And while some might be disappointed that Sony said nothing of its eventual next-gen console (supposedly codenamed "Orbis"), it's hard to be too mad when there are real life games that I want to be playing on the console I already have.

Random Thoughts:

• There was a part of me that believed that Sony would mention something about Orbis, just to seem way more ahead of the game after Microsoft opted to skip mentioning anything. No dice, it seems. Again, not complaining.
    • I could listen to Andrew House pronounce the word "innovative" for the rest of time. It's an inspired pronunciation.
    • There were a number of PlayStation Blog readers in the audience of tonight's conference, which explains why people were hooting and hollering after every other sentence.
    • I do not care for the idea of a Big Daddy as a PlayStation All-Stars character. Not because I don't think he'll play well. I just don't associate the BioShock franchise with PlayStation, really. I mean, those versions of the game weren't exactly top flight, remember?
    • Jack Tretton's call out of Kaz Hirai actually felt like a genuinely sweet moment. Glad to see that running the rest of Sony hasn't erased Kaz's ability to show up and promote some games.
    • Was really betting on some kind of Syphon Filter announcement. No dice.

Tomorrow, we check out Nintendo, and then it's E3 show floor time. Prepare yourselves accordingly.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mrfizzy

Intersting

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By joshthebear

These recaps were pretty amazing Alex.

NuDimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By NuDimon

I'm getting a PS3 now... Beyond and The Last of Us (in addition to older titles) made the system too compelling.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By AlmostSwedish

I loved how the hyped Page's appearance in the game, and then her character was complerely quite in the trailer.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64

Beyond looks great.

Foxillusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Foxillusion

Last of Us looks so damn cool.

kineticflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kineticflow

Hopefully, Nintendo saves us.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

I was very disappointed by the lack of Vita talk. For a system that is about to enter its first holiday season, they spent very little time on it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

The Last Us looked incredible, the rest of the conference was alright, looking forward to hearing more on Playstation All-Stars and Beyond.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

BALD ELLEN PAGE. <3

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By artofwar420

Alex, beautifully written. It's almost like I'm there again. Glad to have you aboard the train.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By AngelN7

The Last of Us so far the best thing of E3 (for me at least) can't wait for it #yearofthePage suck it bows!

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By bassman2112

Thanks for the recap, Alex - I'm forwarding this on to some people who weren't able to see the stream.

Also, for what it's worth, I actually think the Big Daddy is a cool reveal. I'm interested in seeing how he plays in a brawler haha.

<>

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By skrutop

The Last of Us demo really sold me. I cannot wait to see more of it.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Brendan

Alex, you don't have to defend comments which may seem negative to crazy people by constantly saying "Not complaining". Don't appease those people.

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Klaimore

Hahah best part "yes he can take multiple bullets but shut up video games!"

617_jbug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By 617_jbug

I felt that both Sony and Microsoft were lacking both had their positives and big negatives. I guess it's a sign that a new generation is coming.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Aaron_G

The Last of Us is the only thing I found exciting from Sony's conference.

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zFUBARz

Ahh Syphon Filter, gotta love those horrible old animations. look at those hips when he runs!

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jmfinamore

Watching things like The Last of Us demo always makes me want to try and play a game like the demoers do. Everything seems so much more cinematic that way.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By algertman

The Vita is dead, all hail the 3DS.

bondfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bondfish

i agree with yo on saying bioshock is not associated with the ps3 considering it was on xbox first, but apparently Ken Levine loves the ps move so...thats probably why

marcmann2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By marcmann2

Assassin's Creed III looks great and The Last of Us went from a game I was very interested in to a day 1 must buy.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#25  Edited By Yummylee

As someone who has played through all 5 of the GoW games, I too was mostly bored and wanted the demo to move onto The Last of Us after soon realising that it's the same fucking game - again! I mean it's a prequel, but to what? Kratos is still the ghost of sparta; he's still using those chains with what look like an awful amount of the exact same combos I'm used to; he's still stuck with comically persistent grimace, and he's... well, he did actually save a guy, so he's not as much of an angry blow hard.

I found it disappointing because I initially thought it was going to centre around Kratos' days as a spartan general. Back when he was well tanned and used more conventional weaponry instead of those blasted chains. I had this whole idea where the chains would actually be a weapon you unlock near the end as an OP tool of complete evisceration - similar to the Blade of Olympus from GoW2. But no, same ole same ole. Well, there's multiplayer and some humanoid elephants...

Oh, and Last of Us. Simply outstanding. Just... everything.

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RadixNegative2

The Last of Us and Beyond made Sony's press conference my favorite so far. Really looking forward to seeing more of those two games in the future.

But yeah, that book stuff was pretty bad and went on for way too long and the lack of Vita stuff was disappointing.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HarlequinRiot said:

Watching things like The Last of Us demo always makes me want to try and play a game like the demoers do. Everything seems so much more cinematic that way.

I've been doing that for the past year. I always play like I'm showing off the game to someone in the room and it's awesome.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By vikingdeath1

That Big Daddy may have solidified a purchase from me (That, And I love smash Bros and this is the same thing right?)

Mumrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mumrik

I'll hold back the snarkiness and just note that nothing was mentioned about Team Ico or their game. What the hellfuck is going on with that game!?

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Catarrhal
    benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By benspyda

Last of Us wins E3 for me no doubt. Great job Naughty Dog!

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BoFooQ

i was expecting some kind of bigger announcement about psn plus, they made it seem like something was going to change, but really just said were giving more free games. This is great but it doesn't take lots of effort to give way old games, especially ones that tie in to new games, which could lead to sales.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By Phatmac

Surprised by the lack of Vita support. Honestly thought that'd be the main focus of the show.

nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By nexas

RIP Vita.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#35  Edited By metalsnakezero
    sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By sub_o

Sony's conference is quite good. They should've tone down the wonder book thingy, and focus more on Vita.

Sadly (for now), no Versus 13, no Project Ogre, no GTAV, no Agent, no Last Guardian, no Kingdom Hearts 3.

Now, I'm looking forward to TGS coverage this September !

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By redbliss

As much as i hate debating over who had better press conferences, I dont really understand why people think sony had a much better press conference than microsoft. They both had their fair share of awkward moments, they showed the same number of first party games, and they are both doing extra stuff with the platform.

Maybe it is the fact that Sony showed more on-stage demos, or that they arent focusing as much on the social aspect of the platform but more on the gaming aspect. Please dont read this as I am upset or anything because I really dont care who had a better conference. I am just interested about why people think one is better than the other.

chriscalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#39  Edited By chriscalla

Games like Beyond, The Last of Us, God of War, Uncharted, Journey, Papa & Yo, etc. are why I have a PS3. I can live without access to series like Halo and Gears (admittedly top notch) because there are so many other competent multiplatform shooters. But I'd have a tough time missing out on these uniquely cinematic experiences of the PS3.

Edit: Also, in case you were curious like I was, Ubisoft's website is listing Splinter Cell: Blacklist for both Xbox 360 and PS3, so it won't be platform exclusive like the previous Splinter Cell: Conviction. Happy about that, I was bummed to miss out on Conviction.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By paulunga

I think it's funny that Beyond's starring Ellen Page because I always thought that the girl in The Last of Us looks like her as well.

ImaTreee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ImaTreee

@redbliss: i think it's because playstation actually had a few new ips as microsoft only had sequels of their hit games

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#42  Edited By Video_Game_King
    Here are some dice to get you through E3, Alex. I can only hope these get to you as quickly as possible.
    Here are some dice to get you through E3, Alex. I can only hope these get to you as quickly as possible.
    Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
    Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Royce_McCutcheon

RE: Big Daddy; If you can put Solid Snake in Smash Bros, you can put anyone in anything.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By cornbredx

I'm with you Alex. Also, I appreciate these recaps, as I missed most of these due to having to work. I caught all of this one (Sony) though.

I see an interesting idea in the wonderbook, but the demo showed none of what comes to my head for an unnecessary peripheral of this nature. IMO, it should maybe be less game, more interactive fiction for kids. What do I know, though? I'm no business man. Just a dude that plays to many games.

I was not at all interested in what they showed of the new God of War. I'll wait on the results of what the finished product is on that one.

Assassin's creed III's demo in this was really weird. At first I thought it was the Vita one, but I realized it wasn't when I saw the water. It was interesting, but we'll need more context to know if it even matters.

I don't get Big Daddy being in the Sony All star's, either. That's kind of like putting Bayonetta in there- am I right you guys? heh ha ha - sigh, i make myself laugh. Seriously, though. That is weird placement.

Last of Us looks promising. I can't really say much more, though. We don't know enough about it yet (at least, I don't anyway).

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#45  Edited By DarthOrange

That was beautifully written. You should stay on the real coast full time!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By csl316

At first glance, the combat in The Last of Us seemed overly familiar. But as the scenario developed it really started to show what they're doing different. Every enemy that showed up seemed like a true threat rather than a way to get closer to a kill count trophy. And it's fucking brutal, man.

God of War looks to expand on the gameplay, which I'm looking forward to. Nevertheless, I don't think it was too impressive as far as presentations go. Ship battles in Assassin's Creed, now that was kind of amazing to look at.

And Beyond? Hot damn. Probably won't be much of a game, but what they showed makes it look like something definitely worth experiencing.

dezvous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By dezvous

@Royce_McCutcheon: Too true. I'm still holding out for Solid Snake. He is Sony.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#49  Edited By 234r2we232

Sony: lol @ peeps who bought Vitas.

Tidel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Tidel

I'd give Wonderbooks a pass except they spent more time on it than Vita, and that sucked. Vita needs help, and Sony isn't giving it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.