Xperia Play Launches May 26, Comes Packed With Free Games

Posted by patrickklepek (3473 posts) -

We've been hearing whispers about a PlayStation-branded phone forever, but on May 26, Sony Ericsson will finally launch the Xperia Play. And no, I'm not really sure why it's called that, either.

Pre-orders for the Xperia Play start Thursday, priced at $199.99 with the obligatory two-year contract.

There are a number of games pre-loaded onto the hardware, too: Madden NFL 11, Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior, Asphalt 6: Adrenaline, The Sims 3, Star Battalion, Crash Bandicoot, Tetris. Sony's promised at least 50 games will be available at launch, likely a mixture of PlayStation classics and newer titles.

There are other phones that will support PlayStation games; Sony's calling those "PlayStation Certified" machines. The central difference between Xperia Play and anything that's been certified, however, is touch controls vs. buttons. Xperia Play isn't unlike a PSP, whereas the controls for many certified devices are completely touch-based, intangible buttons. It's not the most appealing concept.

Sony's upcoming successor to PSP, tentatively titled NGP (next-generation portable), will not include native cellular support, but PSP featured a Skype application and some NGP models will sport 3G.

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3473 posts) -

We've been hearing whispers about a PlayStation-branded phone forever, but on May 26, Sony Ericsson will finally launch the Xperia Play. And no, I'm not really sure why it's called that, either.

Pre-orders for the Xperia Play start Thursday, priced at $199.99 with the obligatory two-year contract.

There are a number of games pre-loaded onto the hardware, too: Madden NFL 11, Bruce Lee Dragon Warrior, Asphalt 6: Adrenaline, The Sims 3, Star Battalion, Crash Bandicoot, Tetris. Sony's promised at least 50 games will be available at launch, likely a mixture of PlayStation classics and newer titles.

There are other phones that will support PlayStation games; Sony's calling those "PlayStation Certified" machines. The central difference between Xperia Play and anything that's been certified, however, is touch controls vs. buttons. Xperia Play isn't unlike a PSP, whereas the controls for many certified devices are completely touch-based, intangible buttons. It's not the most appealing concept.

Sony's upcoming successor to PSP, tentatively titled NGP (next-generation portable), will not include native cellular support, but PSP featured a Skype application and some NGP models will sport 3G.

Staff
#2 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

If only I cared about this. ):

#3 Posted by RainVillain (480 posts) -

So are the chances of Final Fantasy VII/VIII/IX coming to this just about impossible?

#4 Posted by AlexW00d (6185 posts) -
@bigmuffpi: They are on PSN and it is shown that regular Android can emulate PS1 games; so they might well.
#5 Posted by aurahack (2264 posts) -

It's already out here in Canada. Here's a spoiler: it's garbage.

Who'd of guessed, right? Seems unlikely that a Sony Ericsson phone would be trash. Especially an Xperia phone.
#6 Posted by mattjam3000 (434 posts) -

I do not care for this, yet somehow the picture with a gameloft logo on it makes me care even less

#7 Posted by qxz86 (10 posts) -

I don't know why you'd bother mentioning Skype.
It was removed from the PSP's functions a while ago, and Microsoft now owns Skype, part and parcel.

The Xperia Play is just not compelling at all. At what market is it being pitched?

#8 Posted by RobertOrri (1120 posts) -

I don't see a market for this. The controls are awesome for emulators, but most other application developers probably won't support this thing.

#9 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Well I'm mostly curious about it as a multimedia phone rather than a portable gaming device. I am certainly interested in replacing my damn iphone with something else and a phone/psp hybrid could be the thing.

#10 Posted by onimonkii (2429 posts) -
@aurahack said:

Who'd of guessed, right? Seems unlikely that a Sony Ericsson phone would be trash. Especially an Xperia phone.
that's disappointing :(

been looking into android phones to replace my old blackberry and this would have been neat, if it was any good.
#11 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

We we we so excited...

#12 Posted by sensory (47 posts) -

Wasn't this already out?

Oh wait, that seems to be everywhere except the US. Weird.

Protip: Don't waste your money.

#13 Posted by mosespippy (4034 posts) -

It's been in Canada since March.

#14 Posted by Sil3n7 (1176 posts) -

Ol' crashy bandicooters? what the hell?

#15 Posted by Teoball (575 posts) -

I've had this for a month now and I'm happy with it. It's just a regular android phone with PS controls so if you're expecting more  you'll be disappointed.

At the moment there are 5 PS1 games and 55 android games that are optimized for the controls.

Snesoid and Gensoid works great too, since you can program the buttons yourself.

If you hate playing  games on the touchscreen and don't wanna bring a DS or PSP with you it's great.

#16 Posted by RecSpec (3763 posts) -
@Tylea002 said:
If only I cared about this. ):
That's exactly what I thought. I'm happy with my phone for now, could be a little louder, but oh well. It's good enough.
#17 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1087 posts) -

the real value here is in the emulators.

#18 Posted by CrippleCaptain (19 posts) -

I would love me some megaman legends 1 and 2 on this thing. it would be magical =)

#19 Posted by TooWalrus (13137 posts) -

I'll be buying one. I'll be spending a lot of time at my college between classes this semester, and the emulation possibilities of this phone are awesome. There are a lot of historic NES, GB, GBA, SNES, Genesis, PS1 etc. games that I've never played- but want to.

#20 Posted by aurahack (2264 posts) -
@onimonkii: Get an Atrix, or something of equivalent power. There are plenty of PSX emulators for Android that work fine. The only benefit of the Xperia Play are the controls, but you'll suffer every time you use the actual smartphone part.
#21 Posted by TooWalrus (13137 posts) -
@aurahack said:

Just out of curiosity before I buy one, what makes this phone 'garbage' compared to other Android phones? I ask because I've been messing around with my buddies old original Droid, and even though it's old and slow, it still seems totally rad.
#22 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

Weird. It's not out yet? I have been seeing dumb Rogers commercials for it on TV for ages.

#23 Posted by krystians (402 posts) -

There is a demo at futureshop, and I think they sell it already. Played it and thought it was very uncomfortable.

#24 Posted by Tally_Pants (591 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
@aurahack said:

Just out of curiosity before I buy one, what makes this phone 'garbage' compared to other Android phones? I ask because I've been messing around with my buddies old original Droid, and even though it's old and slow, it still seems totally rad.
If you really want a good Xperia phone... get the ARC. Its an upgraded version of there X10 (which i have and love!) I toyed around with the idea of getting the Xperia Play, but i have so many portable gaming platforms already that I barely use...why get this? The added controller is an awesome functionality but also adds a lot of thickness to the phone when its in your pocket!
just my thoughts...
#25 Posted by onimonkii (2429 posts) -
@aurahack said:
@onimonkii: Get an Atrix, or something of equivalent power. There are plenty of PSX emulators for Android that work fine. The only benefit of the Xperia Play are the controls, but you'll suffer every time you use the actual smartphone part.
yeah, i'm on verizon. i'd have to look up what they've got that's as good. i really like the way htc's ui looks but i've heard they're behind on firmware or something. guess i should head over to tested.
#26 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2377 posts) -

seems eh.

#27 Posted by TooWalrus (13137 posts) -
@Tally_Pants said:
@TooWalrus said:
@aurahack said:

If you really want a good Xperia phone... get the ARC. Its an upgraded version of there X10 (which i have and love!) I toyed around with the idea of getting the Xperia Play, but i have so many portable gaming platforms already that I barely use...why get this? The added controller is an awesome functionality but also adds a lot of thickness to the phone when its in your pocket!just my thoughts...
I didn't really want to know what phones were better, I'm really more interested in the why other phones are better. Besides the extra thickness (which doesn't really bother me), what makes the ARC so much better? I just want to know why this other dude called it garbage before I buy one.
#28 Posted by Winternet (8006 posts) -

By the way, I've seen ton of ads on TV for this here on Europe. They're pushing it hard.

#29 Posted by MeatSim (10768 posts) -

Yea I don't wanna play games on phones.

#30 Posted by CABBAGES (520 posts) -

Its been out in the UK for a while and i just got one the other day as an upgrade.

I dont know how anyone could call it garbage.
Games are great on it and emulators are great too !
#31 Posted by cartvader (142 posts) -

What no Little Big Planet and inFamous?

#32 Posted by aurahack (2264 posts) -
@TooWalrus: The Xperia phones are "garbage" because Sony has a seriously hard time getting their tech to function right with Android. They're super-slow and their default UI is poorly designed. Fortunately, Android lets you download new launchers and keyboards but for them to run smoothly would require good specs, which most Xperia phones don't have. 

The ARC improves on this but save yourself the trouble-- just get an HTC phone or the Atrix. Or even better, save up for the Galaxy S II. They're well designed and have the tech to balance out the open-source, unoptimized-ness of most applications available on Android. 
#33 Posted by Warchief (651 posts) -

i just dont understand this device. the psp was kind of a failure in the US, and the NGP is coming out here next year. this device just makes my head hurt. 

#34 Edited by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -
@Warchief said:

i just dont understand this device. the psp was kind of a failure in the US, and the NGP is coming out here next year. this device just makes my head hurt. 

The PSP is one of the best selling consoles of all time. Shut the fuck up about that 'failure' shit, it simply isn't true.

All the people dismissing this obviously aren't familar with the beauty of emulation.

CPS2. Full speed. On a mobile.
#35 Posted by agentboolen (1751 posts) -
@MysteriousBob said:

@Warchief said:

The PSP is one of the best selling consoles of all time. Shut the fuck up about that 'failure' shit, it simply isn't true.

All the people dismissing this obviously aren't familar with the beauty of emulation.

CPS2. Full speed. On a mobile.
I 2nd this, the PSP isn't a failure just because it didn't sell as much as the DS.  And yes the psp was very capable of doing a lot of cool things with modified firmware.
#36 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -
@qxz86 said:
I don't know why you'd bother mentioning Skype.It was removed from the PSP's functions a while ago, and Microsoft now owns Skype, part and parcel.The Xperia Play is just not compelling at all. At what market is it being pitched?
WTF are you talking about? I'm using Skype right now on my PSPgo.
#37 Posted by Ben99 (1135 posts) -

this phone has a potential . Wait and see ....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.