Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sony Corporation

Company »

Since its 1946 founding, Sony has risen from an innovative Japanese electronics company to one of the leading mass media conglomerates around. Like its movie studio and music biz sister-corps, the SCEI divisions (and the PlayStation family) have been huge successes for Sony and its brand recognition worldwide.

Best Sony console out of the first three?

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Best Sony console out of the first three? (195 votes)

PS1 13%
    PS2 78%
    PS3 9%

THE PEOPLE MUST DECIDE. When it comes to consoles, I've always been a Sony guy, even if I have never purchased a console at launch. The PS2 and PS1 are often mentioned as being some of the greatest consoles around, so I'm curious to see what the GB community thinks is the best Sony console. Reasoning can be anything; you liked the library, you liked the online, you liked the iteration of the DualShock it had, etc.

PS4 isn't included because reasons.

• 
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Why do you need a poll for this? It's going to be a landslide.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. The 60GB first roll of the PS3. Because that did all of them in a single box.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baillie: I was bored and curious to see what the argument would be for not the PS2. I'm considering doing a similar poll for Microsoft consoles and Nintendo consoles, and matching the winners up against each other. I probably won't though, I imagine it will turn into console war nonsense, even if the consoles themselves are more than a decade old.

Joe423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

PS2 is the closest a console has come to having an actual monopoly - the amount of exclusives and amazing games from all genres that the ps2 had was insane. Great console.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm definitely with ps1 over ps2. Ps2 had the bigger installbase and probably more games overall, but ps1 just had so many games that I loved or just straight up blew my mind back in the day.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

My brain says the PS2 (because it is), but my heart says the PS1 (because Ape Escape and Wip3out).

Naturally I voted PS2.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The PS2 and the Snes are the two best consoles ever made. Take your pick between the two.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The PS2 and the Snes are the two best consoles ever made. Take your pick between the two.

Yup. My sentiments as well.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's the PS2 by a mile. I'm also pretty sure I prefer the PS3 to the PS1 - PS1 has some great games, but I really played more great games on the PS2 and PS3.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I don't think this is even a vote?

PS2 is by far, by FAR the best one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I agree with the cheat answer of original model PS3 that played all 3 consoles.

burgavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as impact and shaking up the industry goes ps1, as far as games library depth and breadth ps2, as far as being the graphical powerhouse of the generation though... none of them.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ps2 by a mile. Ps1's variety made it a good console but to me it's downfall has always been it doesn't have enough all-time great games, and many games for it feel outdated. Ps2 had even more variety and great games were released for it for such a long period of time.

I think PS3 is the worst of the three, but a decent console in its own right.

The other thing about the Ps1 is, nowadays, it's the most useless console to own. ps2 AND PS3 both natively play its games and they look better to boot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

PS1 was when the 3D generation was trying new shit and all these new companies and IP were exploding on the scene. PS2 just felt like an iteration on everything that had been explored with the PS1. Just like how PS4 seems like an iteration on the PS3.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you were to ask me what console I'd play today, it'd easily be the PS3. But it's clear that the PS2 was the best in it's time.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easily Playstation 2 was the most impactful. Not just because of the huge catalog of great games that ended up coming out for it, but because of the lifestyle shifts it caused, being many people's first DVD player and many people's first online console. The perceived graphical jump from the hideous polygons of the 32/64 bit era to something that actually looked nice (on the cathode tube TV's of the day) was huge. For me, it was so exciting to put together a surround sound system for it. Many PS2 games pushed out DD Pro Logic, and I enjoyed many movies in true 5.1 Surround.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The PS2 is routinely mentioned as one of the greatest consoles of all time. It's when 3D games started to come into their own, consoles were at their height, and the sheer amount of variety and quality made it a must-have. Probably the best post-2000 console outside of the 360.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

It's the PS2. No room for debate. All three were great, though in my personal experience, I got the least enjoyment out of the PS3. But the PS2 arguably has the best library of games out of any console. The PS1 also has an amazing library and is home to many of my all-time favorites, but the PS2 edges it out.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The PS1 without a doubt.

Think about it. People saw Sega, Nintendo, 3DO lining up to fight "properly" and along comes Sony, and people think "Yeah, Sony is losing it, they are out of their minds."

It was not as big of a blowout, but Sony did win in the PSX era. They did so because while their system wasn't more powerful in terms of specs it was more efficient and more speedy at rendering. Sony was also an innovator of middleware for its system too. To make a 3D game on PSX was just a bit easier for more studios because Sony was doing the hard part of writing the "to the metal" middle layer of software that could use that speed GPU really well. Oh, it wasn't easy going from 2D to 3D, but Sony's methodology was really what every started going the correct direction.

PS2 was standing on PS1 shoulders for sure. It was a tag team events because PS1 was in the ring beating down Nintendo and Sega that when PS2 tagged-in the fight was mostly over. And, teh real power of PS1 was evident in how long it sold. Sony sold the S.O.B. for ten years; and by the end it was still selling at a pace that made Gamecube and XBox sales look embarrassing low.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The PS2 is the best console ever so yeah. You don't beat the largest library by like 2000 games; just can't happen. Would I rather have a SNES with 10 really awesome games or a PS2 with 100 awesome games? PS2 every time. I prefer the SNES emulator though.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The PS2 was godlike.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Quarters

PS3 is the best machine, PS2 is the best library of about any system. Though the PS3 also had some fantastic games.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS2 easily.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The PS1 was fucking revolutionary with it's CD technology at the time but a lot of the games that people hold in a god like regard today don't hold up too well. The PS2 was a huge jump in terms of graphics and it had a built in DVD player which was pretty awesome at the time and it's library hold up much better than the PS1s. I'm gonna go with the PS2.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikey87144 said:

Nailed it.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I think video games keep getting better, not worse, so I voted for ps3. It was more powerful and has an amazing library of games, big and small. Ps2 has a great library of games as well, but more games stand out to me on ps3 compared to ps2.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Easily the PS2. It had all of the games (except my sweet, sweet Halos).

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the PS2 is the best console ever made.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Oh how I wish my original 60 gig ps3 (upgraded to 500 gig) still worked. It's easily my favorite console.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS2 had Yakuza. Case closed.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I mean... duh. If I live to see another console with such a breadth of great games as the PS2, I'll be happy.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ps3 had the best games,so thats the best console to me.ps2 is right behind it though.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No contest PS2

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#34 fisk0  Moderator

If I ever had gotten my hands on one of those early PS3's, that would probably have been it, but since I couldn't and later PS3's didn't have the PS2 backwards compatibility and device support, it would have to be the PS2, since it's a fantastic console on it's own, and is also a complete PS1.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.