Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sony Corporation

Company »

Since its 1946 founding, Sony has risen from an innovative Japanese electronics company to one of the leading mass media conglomerates around. Like its movie studio and music biz sister-corps, the SCEI divisions (and the PlayStation family) have been huge successes for Sony and its brand recognition worldwide.

Sony planning 10k layoffs worldwide (not official until Thursday)

wordfalling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By wordfalling

via http://www.npr.org/2012/04/09/150274885/report-sony-to-cut-10-000-jobs-worldwide?ft=1&f=1001

Apparently Kaz Harai will be holding a press conference on Thursday. The news brief also notes a 2 billion dollar loss for the last quarter. Ouch. Commiserations to those facing the axe. It seems their TV sector is being blamed for most of the losses, hopefully their gaming sector will not be hit hard with layoffs.

Sony has been an interesting corporation to watch for the past few decades, with fingers in many pies they have both remarkable successes and miserable failures. I'm curious to see what they bring to E3 this year.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By mordukai

Well considering other companies have risen in the TV and give them a run for their money I am not that all surprised most of the losses come from the TV division.

katebailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By katebailey

Regardless of being one of the most significant names in electronics, Sony has been publishing enormous losses for four years running. The company has announced that it is anticipating a quarterly loss of almost $3 billion and is firing 10,000 workers. The effects of natural disasters that hit Japan as well as the massive flooding in Thailand, affects Sony's manufacturing that leads to tremendous losses at the end of 2011 and the fiscal year that has just ended. In addition to that, its chemicals operations which are being sold to the Development Bank of Japan, Sony is also going to reduce its workforce by 6 percent, or 10,000 people. There are several top executives that are also being asked to return bonuses, according to MSNBC. Article Source: 10K workers to get pink slips in Sony layoffs.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Maybe they should stop selling televisions?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Both the scale of Sony's losses and these lay-offs is mind-boggling. I feel sorry for the people being layed off but when the company was leaking this much money there was no way they weren't going to take drastic measures to fix it.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By spazmaster666

Considering their net loss was around $3 billion last year, $2 billion in losses in a single quarter is definitely not the direction that Sony needs to be going in. Though it's not surprising if indeed it is their TV department that's the cause. I can't even remember the last time I even thought about buying a TV made by Sony.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bell_End

it always makes me wonder why these companies don't spend more time on internet forums. they're always full of smart, know-it-all people that knew exactly how the company should of been run all along.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By tim_the_corsair

One of my good friends just got a marketing manager job with them in Sydney, hope she doesn't get axed :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.