Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sony Corporation

Company »

Since its 1946 founding, Sony has risen from an innovative Japanese electronics company to one of the leading mass media conglomerates around. Like its movie studio and music biz sister-corps, the SCEI divisions (and the PlayStation family) have been huge successes for Sony and its brand recognition worldwide.

Sony Stock Downgraded to Junk Status - Finally!

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#51  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@KaosAngel said:

@Karkarov said:

My only question is why hasn't this thread which is nothing but blatant flame bait and trolling been locked yet?

Cause it's a serious issue. I don't think you realize just how big news this is to the industry that Sony's stock after being so low has finally hit junk status. This has legit ramifications to the future of Sony and in the coming weeks it'll just get worse. If you knew anything about business and stock you'd understand this.

I think the fact that you spent a good part of this thread shitting on and wishing death on Sony should be enough reason to lock the thread. It's important information but we shouldn't need to get the information through this weird, vitriolic filter.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By coakroach

@KaosAngel said:

First thing I learned from my mentor Jim Sterling, make sure your title is catchy and people read it so they know what's going on.

Haha, actually had me going for a bit there

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By KaosAngel

@Phatmac said:

Sucks for Sony. They're an incredibly talented company that has some done some unfortunate mistakes. Hopefully they can bounce back from this and go back to their prime of dominating the console market.

Their bounce back time was post PS3 launch so 2008-2011. They had so many chances to fix their TVs, listen to Google and keep Android current on Sony handsets, listen to the shareholders who said NOT to make the Vita in a post-mobile world.

This isn't bounce back time...this is "major changes" time. They start turning in their value in the current market (which is zero because they have no cash) so they start saying how much their brands are worth and all that.

If anyone is expecting Sony to make a "future proof" machine again for PS4...that would be stupid as fuck. Sony will never be able to afford that in their current state.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#54  Edited By Hailinel

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@KaosAngel said:

@Karkarov said:

My only question is why hasn't this thread which is nothing but blatant flame bait and trolling been locked yet?

Cause it's a serious issue. I don't think you realize just how big news this is to the industry that Sony's stock after being so low has finally hit junk status. This has legit ramifications to the future of Sony and in the coming weeks it'll just get worse. If you knew anything about business and stock you'd understand this.

I think the fact that you spent a good part of this thread shitting on and wishing death on Sony should be enough reason to lock the thread. It's important information but we shouldn't need to get the information through this weird, vitriolic filter.

One step ahead of you. Already flagged it. Being informative is one thing, but this isn't appropriate.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#55  Edited By Phatmac

@KaosAngel said:

@Phatmac said:

Sucks for Sony. They're an incredibly talented company that has some done some unfortunate mistakes. Hopefully they can bounce back from this and go back to their prime of dominating the console market.

Their bounce back time was post PS3 launch so 2008-2011. They had so many chances to fix their TVs, listen to Google and keep Android current on Sony handsets, listen to the shareholders who said NOT to make the Vita in a post-mobile world.

This isn't bounce back time...this is "major changes" time. They start turning in their value in the current market (which is zero because they have no cash) so they start saying how much their brands are worth and all that.

If anyone is expecting Sony to make a "future proof" machine again for PS4...that would be stupid as fuck. Sony will never be able to afford that in their current state.

Well I'll be helping by buying their next console. I just want to play their games so I'll do that while you keep spouting doom and gloom against a company that makes and publishes great games.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By billyhoush

I used a 360 as my primary console for years and was even given a PS3 and never used it until my 360 died. I figured the generation was over so I might as well stick to the PS3 I got for free instead of replacing my 360. I ended up loving the PS3 a lot more because I feel more comfortable with the controller and PSN+ is much more value than Xbox Live that it is unbelievable.

The hacking of PSN was the best thing ever for Sony as it forced them to really think about online. I believe in the long run that hacking saved them from being another Japanese company *cough* Nintendo *cough* that can't figure out online.

Ramble ramble.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Andorski

Yeah! Fuck Sony. I rather use the console that has me paying for an online service that is free everywhere else.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By KaosAngel

@billyhoush: ...but Sony stock isn't PlayStation. It's everything. As a whole Sony doesn't understand online. Look at Android for Sony handsets, they still use 2.x version of Android. They failed to keep up with standards in online markets like Apple.

They legit allowed Apple and Google to take over their entertainment side and gave Microsoft a free pass to push the gaming industry forward as market leaders. Their TVs were trumped by better and cheaper brands and they STILL act like market leaders when the world and business has showed that title goes to Microsoft, Apple, and Google.

Sony can't compete in the world that Microsoft, Apple, and Google created...in a world that Sony had so many chances to be a part of but ignored it.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#59  Edited By Seppli

Dang it. I hoped for great things from Sony for the next generation. We all knew Sony was in dire straits, though I'd hoped they'd turn it around, before it got too painful to watch.  As far as I know, the gaming branch of Sony is a breadwinner again, after burning though billons in RnD for the Playstation 3 and seeing little in the ways of success in return.

Just read IGN's report on this development. The outlook doesn't seem quite as dire as the OP suggests, but it's definitely not a good sign for Sony. Let's hope it pulls through intact.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By endaround

Wow this is stupid.

This has nothing to do with Sony stock. Its a bond rating by one bond rating agency. All ti effects it the rate Sony can borrow at which right now is still likely dirt cheap.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#61  Edited By Ben_H  Online
    @KaosAngel said:

They legit allowed Apple and Google to take over their entertainment side and gave Microsoft a free pass to push the gaming industry forward as market leaders. Their TVs were trumped by better and cheaper brands and they STILL act like market leaders when the world and business has showed that title goes to Microsoft, Apple, and Google.

You forgot Samsung.  They're huge now in every way.

Not to mention Sony still price themselves higher than the competition because they consider themselves a luxury electronics company when in reality their products are average at best. There is no reason Sony televisions should be $100 more than the competition right now. I've never liked Sony so this news doesn't exactly hurt my feelings. I do feel bad for the lower down workers who will inevitably lose their jobs, but the higher ups deserve what they get. They refuse to innovate in a market that is run by innovation and they can't get the idea that their name carries a premium price out of their heads when it obviously doesn't carry that premium price anymore. Maybe in the 90s, but not now. Sony's reputation is not what it once was anymore and they need to admit it if they don't want to completely fail, though it may already be too late. 

There was an interesting translated Japanese article posted on Tested about Sony, I'll see if I can find it. It certainly was interesting and kinda adds to what I was talking about in the paragraph above. 

Edit: Here it is: 

http://www.japansubculture.com/the-ghosts-of-sony/ 

The gist of the article is that Sony has made a number of gigantic blunders that have led them to slowly die out. One of the primary ones was that they had a new CEO who wanted to "restructure" so he made these early retirement packages for employees, which scared people. Employees ended up taking these offers then went and worked for the competition, taking all of the new ideas that Sony could have used with them. Also discussed is how Sony isn't really keeping up with the competition in terms of either innovation or quality, and at this point are trying to run on brand alone when it comes to certain products.
    FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By FunkasaurasRex
    @KaosAngel

@FunkasaurasRex said:

Sony's certainly made a lot of missteps during the current console cycle, but they seem to do alright by their users between less invasive advertising, free online play and some pretty great exclusive games.

Sony isn't a gaming company. They are a technology/entertainment company that has money in electronics (which are all failing), mobile (which they fucked up android by not having the current updates in years), etc. The people calling this aren't looking at Sony's gaming division...they look at Sony for what they are as a whole.

As a whole Sony has fucked up more than any other technology company in the past 10 years.

The source of your contempt for Sony in your original post seemed to be primarily be in regards to the gaming division. I apologize if I misinterpreted that.

Their electronics division is a complete mess however and I think you'll find few folks who disagree. Your antipathy for Sony specifically I, however, do not understand.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By KaosAngel

@Ben_H: Oh yeah Samsung, forgot about them. From their TVs and their mobile handsets, Samsung has done everything right. And then Sony asks why they don't get asked by Google to make the next Nexus phone.

Shareholders said the Vita wasn't a good idea in the post-mobile world and they still made it. Great to see the Vita living up to the Sony standard.

I'm really interested to see what they do with the PS4. Microsoft has the luxury of going all out with hardware but Sony has no chance in hell to repeat the PS3 again.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By august

@aurahack said:

> Disappointed by character roster of a joke party fighting game.

> Consequentially hopes for the unemployment of tens of thousands.

NOT ENOUGH ANIME CHARACTERS

SEND THEM TO JAIL

ANIME JAIL

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By billyhoush

Well, yeah. Sony's consumer electronics have been crap for a while. I would say since the millennium. Really cheap build quality relaying on the brand they established through their 80s-90s Walkman, HandyCam, Trinitron heyday.

I agree their consumer electronics is garbage. Even VIAO computers. Memorystick...all that crap.

Pretty much South Korea is what Japan was in consumer electronics and cars before the millennium.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#66  Edited By StarvingGamer

Xbox console is shit, Live is super shit, controller is shit, console exclusives are shit.

I have found less use for my 360 this generation than my Wii. I hope that Sony shutters their shitty TV business and doubles down on the only thing they have going for them.

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#67  Edited By ki11tank

kinda dumb to want sony to go belly up.

competition is good, sony has been shit but only an idiot wouldn't want them to get better in their respective markets.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By KaosAngel

@billyhoush: Who would've guessed that Samsung and LG would dominate the mobile industry. Yeah we have Apple but all Apple hardware now is made in South Korea. Google has given the Nexus brand to only South Korean companies and they did beyond the bounds for quality and standards.

Sony has had years and years of technology and experience. It's telling when no one wants a Sony handset and everyone wants a South Korean brand for their phone (aside from Apple...but then again they are made from South Korean parts).

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By aceofspudz

Sony's business model (except for the PS3) seems to be: premium prices for ordinary products.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ripelivejam

did sony murder kaosangel's parents or what

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By billyhoush

Japan got lazy and Korea stepped it up. Since Korea got free trade in Canada everything here is Samsung, LG, Hyundai, Kia. All our government offices have deals so all the digital signage and kiosks are samsung. Even my small town just got a huge Hyundai dealership and now they are opening a Kia.

The weirdest shit was driving in my buddy's Hyundai Genesis, seeing his Galaxy S3 on the dash, and Gangnam Style playing over the local radio station. Globalization to the fullest effect.

OUR JERBS!!!!!!!

Well, I welcome our Korea overlords.

Vkramac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Vkramac

OP doesn't know the difference between a stock and a bond. Good job, your post is bad.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#73  Edited By PandaBear

There's one of these on every website... well about a thousand on IGN.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By BigBoss1911

@ripelivejam said:

did sony murder kaosangel's parents or what

Probably, or something to that extreme, he sounds very angry at Sony.

ImaTreee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ImaTreee

go have intercourse with a cactus

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By connerthekewlkid
    No Caption Provided
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#77  Edited By musubi

@KaosAngel said:

@cannonballBAM: @SethPhotopoulos: @laserbolts: That's what Sony gets for disrespecting fans for that shit of a roster for All-Stars. Plus I got the pre-order costume code for the game from Amazon and it doesn't even work on the Vita.

Fantastic logic. You disagree with roster choices and are upset about a pre-order bonus = I WANT SONY TO GO UNDER AND THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE TO LOSE JOBS. You're a smart one.

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By smitty86

@George_Hukas said:

@KaosAngel said:

A kick well deserved seeing as this company has done nothing for gaming or even the electronics industry for the past five years.

How has this post alone not shut this crap of a thread down?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By toowalrus

KaosAngel trolling?! I literally (metaphorically) can't believe it!

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#80  Edited By Brendan

@cannonballBAM said:

@KaosAngel: Someone doesn't like playing Uncharted online.

edit: I have never heard of someone so excited for future unemployment before.

Good people don't stay out of work forever, and industry hasn't diminished, it's just moved. People act like businesses that employ talented people and go out of business is just the end of all things, but it's not. It sucks at the time, but the electronics industry is not diminishing. There are other jobs out there at other companies who have taken Sony's business, and former Sony employees will take those jobs. It's not 100% by any means, and involuntary transition sucks for a lot of different reasons, but this transitionary kind of unemployment is not as it's painted.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By KaosAngel

@smitty86: There's a legit discussion here if you haven't read it, you know...if you read.

This also isn't in the "PlayStation" forum...this is in the "Sony as a whole" section. This isn't about PS...this is about Sony.

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By smitty86

@KaosAngel: I'm sorry, you confused me for someone who gave a shit about your "I love that Sony is (presumably) dead! YEAH!" post. Good day sir.

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By ki11tank

@rebgav said:

@ki11tank said:

competition is good, sony has been shit but only an idiot wouldn't want them to get better in their respective markets.

Sony typically price themselves out of the competitive market. I don't think there's an electronics company which gives you less for your money. Unless they can swallow some of their corporate pride and either accept that they need to adjust their prices or improve on quality and services then only a masochist or a stock-holder would want them to rebound. If they didn't have the Playstation division, would anyone here really be rallying behind them?

you assumed a lot from nothing to say all that. i specifically said we should want them to get better. meaning they have great products that might even deserve to be priced higher. if they don't they will go down, but obviously if they get better it's a win for them and consumers. none the less more competition is better, so my point remains. we take sony out even at their current standards and there is another bar lower that the next company needs to meet. simple capitalism.

same problem with apple and google etc, they are spending billions to swipe up patents all over just to eliminate competition so they won't get beat by someone offering more for less.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck, I really hope Sony can pull themselves out of this shit hole they have dug themselves in. It really is terrible watching a giant fall from it's once untouchable throne, can't say they didn't fuck them selves over though.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By AngelN7

This is Badumb...

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#86  Edited By Vinny_Says

People ain't buying TVs no mo. Lucky MS and Nintendo don't sell televisions, but then again they might have their share of problems coming up soon enough.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By KaosAngel

@ki11tank said:

same problem with apple and google etc, they are spending billions to swipe up patents all over just to eliminate competition so they won't get beat by someone offering more for less.

...that's not a problem though. I mean, that's legit proper business and there's a reason Microsoft, Apple, and Google are kings of all technology right now.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Animasta said:

sorry, you're a dumb this thread is a dumb

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#89  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@KaosAngel said:

@ki11tank said:

...that's not a problem though. I mean, that's legit proper business and there's a reason Microsoft, Apple, and Google and kings of all technology right now.

You keep leaving out Samsung.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By KaosAngel

@Vinny_Says said:

People ain't buying TVs no mo. Lucky MS and Nintendo don't sell televisions, but then again they might have their share of problems coming up soon enough.

MS is doing really good right now being able to stand up with Apple and Google. Sure not as tall or up in cash like they are, but Microsoft understands the modern world and has many times sided with Apple and Google to standardize everything. Sony hasn't done any of it.

Microsoft has to deal with Windows 8 (desktop, tablet, and mobile) and all their other business stuff, they're good. They can keep up with the future.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By KaosAngel

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

...that's not a problem though. I mean, that's legit proper business and there's a reason Microsoft, Apple, and Google and kings of all technology right now.

You keep leaving out Samsung.

Honest mistake. Just used to saying those three, they do set the trend for where to go. I mean, Samsug wouldn't be here without Google and that's a fact. But yeah, in terms of patients...Samsung kicking ass. The point is Sony had all these chances to do what Samsung did and they didn't give a fuck.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By MAGZine

@KaosAngel said:

@Phatmac said:

Yep. So many chances to fix their non-broken TVs. Seriously? The Bravia series was an amazing brand of TV. Great UI, great picture quality.

Do you even know what you're talking about?

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By thedj93

why are the boards so full of negativity right now?

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#94  Edited By aurahack

@august said:

@aurahack said:

> Disappointed by character roster of a joke party fighting game.

> Consequentially hopes for the unemployment of tens of thousands.

NOT ENOUGH ANIME CHARACTERS

SEND THEM TO JAIL

ANIME JAIL

No Caption Provided
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By KaosAngel

@MAGZine said:

Yep. So many chances to fix their non-broken TVs. Seriously? The Bravia series was an amazing brand of TV. Great UI, great picture quality.

Do you even know what you're talking about?

You know the entire economy broked then right? They had the chance to keep up to the modern world but lost out, other Korean companies rose up and made better products for cheaper. Sony fucked up so hard then thinking people had the cash do buy whatever they want. Then Sony fucked up not getting into mobile handsets as aggressive as Koreans did. They still use old ass Android to this date when all the Korean handsets use at least 3.0 or 4.0 Android.

Sony didn't give a fuck about the consumers then and the consumers answered back. Google doesn't even promote Sony handsets anymore and no one is buying Sony TVs now. The only reason Sony hasn't completely sunk is because they aren't retarded enough to let go of the Spiderman License and the PlayStation side of things is worth too much. Aside from movies and gaming Sony has failed every step.

They had the chance to buy the patients before Samsung and Apple but didn't. Whoever was running Sony back then grossly miscalculated the next few years.

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@KaosAngel said:

Not trolling, had to spin it and it had to come with a catchy title.

So you want to write for a tabloid? :)

Kotaku would be happy to have you. :P

@KaosAngel said:

I'm sorry but the truth is that Microsoft has done more positives these past 6 years than Sony did.

Debatable- could go either way.

What CAN easily be said though is that Microsoft probably wouldn't have made all those decisions if Sony wasn't an additional direct competitor with them. ;)

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By algertman

@thedj93 said:

why are the boards so full of negativity right now?

Hell, the WiiU board is just pure shit right now.

ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By ki11tank

@KaosAngel said:

@ki11tank said:

...that's not a problem though. I mean, that's legit proper business and there's a reason Microsoft, Apple, and Google are kings of all technology right now.

it's legit proper business, but can be a problem for consumers as big companies monopolize their industries and slow innovation by eliminating competition, been that way forever.

i'm done explaining business/econ 101 stuff.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By KaosAngel

@ki11tank said:

it's legit proper business, but can be a problem for consumers as big companies monopolize their industries and slow innovation by eliminating competition, been that way forever.

But that hasn't been the case with the major players in technology. No one is slowing innovation at all, they're all pushing for more and buying up all the things they predict will be standard in the future. It's safe.

Technology is still advancing at a rapid rate. If anything the data distributors are slowing things down but that'll be fixed in a couple years with Google going into internet services. At the end of the day, the technology companies are on the same side to push as much as they can for a future and they'll keep fighting the idiots who try to control it in service providers and internet regulations.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#100  Edited By musclerider

This thread just makes me angry

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.